Map

Moun10Bike

We are interested in learning more about the various ways that users engage with geocaching. We would love your input on how you use the current system and what could be done differently. We encourage responses from geocachers of all experience levels.

In your first post, please include how long you have been geocaching.

Below is a current inventory of the functions and features on the map, along with some of the existing enhancement requests we have in our backlog. What functionality do you consider essential to the map, both from a web and mobile perspective?

• Check out the list and let us know if there is anything missing.
  • Add comments by any item that you want to highlight letting us know why it is important/not important to you.
  • Let us know what information isn't necessary on the page.

Elements offered on the current map:

Basic Features:

• Map layer selection (streets, aerial, hybrid, sources, etc.)
  • Search field
  • Ability to share direct link to current map view
  • Cache details pop-up with these features:
    • Cache name with link
    • GC Code
    • Owner name with link
    • Hidden date
    • Difficulty and Terrain ratings
    • Cache size
    • Favorite points
    • Bookmark it
    • Send to GPS
    • Log Visit

Premium Features:

• My Finds and My Hides filters
  • Cache type filters
  • Save results as Pocket Query
  • View existing Pocket Queries on the map

Existing Community Requests:

• Indication of corrected coordinates/solved puzzles
  • Ability to select/download caches from map by drawing a polygon on it
  • Display DNFs

Thank you for taking part in the conversation!

* Please note: If you haven't read the pinned thread for this forum, please take a moment to do so. This thread will be open for one week.

Caching since December 2001.

In the little box that pops up when you click on a cache icon, I have always wanted an Ignore link. It would make getting powertrails off of my map so much quicker.

Currently there are the following links : Bookmark It ; Send to GPS; Log Visit

Change to:.......Bookmark It ; Send to GPS; Log Visit; Ignore

Edited by L0ne.R

I've been geocaching for three years (since January 2012).

Basic Features:

Almost all of the listed items are important to me. The only things I don't need, are the links to log a find and send to GPS.

Premium Features:

The filters are important to me. I don't think I've ever used the PQ-tools on the map.

These two would be nice:

Ability to select/download caches from map by drawing a polygon on it

Display DNFs

My biggest problem with the current map, is that it's often very slow, and to get the cache details popup to open, I often have to zoom in and out several times.

If that problem gets fixed, I don't see any urgent needs to change the map.

Ah, a topic close to my heart. For me, a map is THE interface to GC.com. It's the language of location, right? And nothing displays spatially-oriented data like a map. In fact, I rarely ever use the search feature, preferring instead to zoom out, pan, and zoom in to a new location when I'm interested in the cache scene somewhere.

The map could take over the front page, and the marketing stuff moved off to the side somewhere. For me, even now the map IS the front page. My front page. Maybe this is why I like Locus Map Pro (an Android map- and geo app) so much. It is map and caches merged beautifully, but first and foremost a powerful map app. Dozens of map families to choose from.

Re the current map on the website, there's not a whole lot I'd change. It's your best feature by far.

I'd love more map options (more map families), and please remember the map I've chosen between sessions. Please rename "Leaflet", as that's just an implementation detail. When you say Leaflet, you really mean "OSM family and all others that aren't Google". Make renamed-Leaflet the default; the OSM maps in particular have gotten amazingly good, and ESRI Worldimagery (satellite view) in that collection is so good I never bother looking at the Google version anymore.

Sharing a map link would ideally also specify the chosen map.

If you could fix the long-standing glitch where some caches are "dead" to clicks after panning/zooming, that'd be great.

Me? I'm an old-timer who's been caching since 2005, found a bit over 4000 caches so far, and must've wasted several man-months of otherwise productive time thanks to Google Earth alone. Thanks for listening.

PS: An example of why having lots of map choices is a good thing: In Taipei, I had to try quite a few different maps (in Locus) before I found one that showed major landmark names (metro stations in particular) in English rather than Chinese. That was pretty essential for getting oriented.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1

I've been caching since March 2009.

Personally, I'm fairly satisfied with the current map. I don't use it extensively, but it does what I need it to do. However, there's one thing I'd like to see addressed: reliability. Several years on, we still see recurring problems with unclickable or slow-to-load icons. Granted, I don't see these problems as often as when this version of the map was brand-new, but I still experience them in roughly 10-15% of my map sessions.

As for the new requests, I really have no need for them. I don't use the site's corrected coordinate feature (I use GSAK instead), I download caches by regular PQs or API via GSAK, and I have no need to see which caches I've DNFed on a map. I understand that other people would love these features, but they really don't matter to me because I wouldn't use them.

My biggest problem with the current map, is that it's often very slow, and to get the cache details popup to open, I often have to zoom in and out several times.

If that problem gets fixed, I don't see any urgent needs to change the map.

That's especially true with my ipad.

Been caching for 10 years

<--- see over there

For me the map is the tool I use most and is an essential feature. Many of the features I use are currently presented via an add-on called "Geocaching Map Enanhancements", see http://geo.inge.org.uk/gme.htm#features for some info on it's myriad of features, which may give your developers some cool ideas.

All the current features are pretty good as they stand, and additionaly I would like to see:-

Caches with corrected co-ords should be identified (perhaps with a different color or a tick on the icon) and should appear at the location of the corrected coords, possibly with a line joining the original position to the corrected position.

Drop a circular marker at any point, of variable size (e.g. 0.1 miles :) )

Draw a track, which will measure the cumulative distance and which can subsequently be downloaded as a .gpx route

Click anywhere on the map and have it tell you the co-ords for that spot.

Filter out finds or cache types at a lower zoom level, currently only available at zoom 12 or greater.

Click on a point in the map and have google streetview open at that location in a separate tab/window.

Click on a point and call up a search list of caches centred on that point.

Draw a polygon and generate a PQ of everything within it.

Do a PQ for everything within the current view.

What I DONT want:

The map ruined by turning it into some sort of phone style responsive page.

and whatever you do, PLEASE make sure it's intuitive and provide easy to understand and easily accessible help on how to use any new features ;)

Edited by MartyBartfast

10 years

Basic Features

Keep them all. I would like to see a GPX file option added to the Send to GPS/Bookmark it/Log Visit line on the popup.

Premium Features

Can you make the My finds/My Hides filters sticky?

Viewing existing PQ's would be nice, but PQ's take a back seat to GetGeocaches.

Community Requests

Corrected coordinates not much use for me since that is all in GSAK

Selecting/downloading by drawing a polygon - YES! YES!

Display DNF's - Okay, that would be nice.

Gripes

Sometimes (frequently) clicking the cache icon does not bring up the popup. Need scroll, change zoom, etc to get it to work. Can that be fixed?

On GSAK google maps I can close the popup by clicking anywhere on the map, GS I have to click the X in the popup. Can we get the click anywhere on the map to close? I think it is just another option on the call.

Can we get the zoom bar over on the left? And still keep it out of the way of the filters?

Can we get pegman showing on Google maps?

We are interested in learning more about the various ways that users engage with geocaching. We would love your input on how you use the current system and what could be done differently. We encourage responses from geocachers of all experience levels.

Next month we'll have been caching for 5 years.

Basic Features:

• Search field
  • Ability to share direct link to current map view - didn't even realise until now that this was possible! Is copying the text from the browser address bar the only way to do it? Would be nice if it could be done via a quick link :)
    • Cache name with link
    • GC Code
    • Owner name with link
    • Hidden date
    • Cache size
    • Favorite points
    • Bookmark it
    • Send to GPS
    • Log Visit

As has been mentioned several times already - the dead icons bug is really frustrating. It seems to manifest after panning / zooming and outside a certain radius from map centre point. A browser refresh seems to kick-start things again for a little while but I find the whole thing rather annoying.

Don't know if this is the right place to mention this one but in the offical app for android the map opens massively zoomed out and I have to pinch-zoom multiple times just to get a view that is anything like useful :(

• Display DNFs

I would welcome all of the above. Caches with corrected coordinates would need to be clearly distinguished on the map too please - so that they are obvious.

ABOVE ALL ELSE - I would be massively distraught if ANY changes to the map rendered it as useless as I now find the new search feature. If there were any risk of that happening then without hesitation I would say leave the maps just as they are please - I'll live with the dead cache icon bug.

Thank you for taking part in the conversation! Thanks for the opportunity :)

I've been geocaching for 9 years (since January 2006).

By "the map", I assume that you ARE NOT referring to the "Google Maps" or "MapQuest" or other links to third-party mapping sites on cache pages.

By "the map", I assume that you ARE referring to the "Geocaching.com Map" link on cache pages, or the "Search in Geocaching Maps" link on my private profile page (next to the "near your home location" link), or the "Map These Results" link on the new search results page. Or the map(s) displayed by mobile apps.

I use the web-based map for planning geocaching trips, and for printing hardcopy so I can share information with others who are joining me on geocaching trips (often newbies with whom it is much easier to share hardcopy than to share paperless data).

I use the mobile maps for selecting the next cache to navigate to, and for actually navigating to the cache (or parking, or other waypoints). My preferred view is a map display with a small "compass" arrow that indicates the direction and distance to the waypoint. When the app I'm using has a "live map" mode, I turn it off because I don't want it downloading random caches that I just happen to be near.

Features I Consider Essential:

• Map layer selection (streets, aerial, hybrid, sources, etc.) - Different views/sources are better than others in different situations.
  • View existing Pocket Queries on the map - This is essential, especially when building a bookmark list to play a geocaching trip.
  • Also: Printable view with GC codes next to the caches, or with index numbers (1, 2, 3,...) and a legend that maps those index numbers to GC codes.
  • Cache type filters - Especially to get rid of mystery/puzzle caches not on one of my "solved" bookmark lists.
  • Also: Icons indicating cache type.
    • Cache name with link
    • GC Code
    • Cache size

Features I Consider Somewhat Useful:

• Search field - When I'm using the map, I'm generally selecting caches by scanning the map visually, or I'm viewing/printing a set of caches that I've already selected; I'm usually not searching. But there have been times when I've used the search field.
  • Ability to share direct link to current map view - I can see how sharing would be useful, once those you're with get past the newbie stage. But mostly because a direct link that you can share with others can also be shared with yourself (i.e., a bookmark).
  • My Finds and My Hides filters - Usually, different icons are all I need.
  • Display DNFs - On a mobile app, I like seeing the state of my field notes, whether they're Finds or DNFs. Other than that, DNFs are just caches I haven't found yet.
    • Owner name with link
    • Hidden date
    • Favorite points - I generally sort by FP before I get to the mapping stage.
    • Bookmark it - I'm usually viewing the full description in another tab, where I already have a bookmark link.

Features I Consider Much Less Useful:

• Save results as Pocket Query - It's easy to create my own PQ using a bookmark list or using a location in the middle of the map if/when needed.
  • Indication of corrected coordinates/solved puzzles - I'm sure some people would find it useful, but I simply avoid viewing unsolved puzzles on the map by filtering mystery/puzzle caches out, except for those on my "solved" bookmark lists.
  • Ability to select/download caches from map by drawing a polygon on it - I'm sure some people would find it useful, but I've never seen a need for it.
  • Also: Icons indicating PMO status - To me, one of the perks of being a PM is being able to ignore the PMO status of caches.
    • Send to GPS - I'd rather download once using a PQ, rather than downloading over and over.
    • Log Visit - I always use field notes.

On GSAK google maps I can close the popup by clicking anywhere on the map, GS I have to click the X in the popup. Can we get the click anywhere on the map to close? I think it is just another option on the call.

This already happens. I just tested on IE 11, Firefox 36, and Chrome 41, and it worked on all of them.

This already happens. I just tested on IE 11, Firefox 36, and Chrome 41, and it worked on all of them.

Hmmm FF 36.0.1 testing click...click...click ah, nope.

Caching for 2.5 years. 330 finds, 7 hides.

- Map layer selection: Muy importante! I use this all.the.time.

- Search field: I don't use very much as it doesn't always work.

- Ability to share direct link to current map view: I hardly know it's there. I think I've just shared the URL from my browser when I've needed to share a link.

Cache details pop-up:

I've used almost all these elements; cannot think of any being removed.

Perhaps add last found date?

Premium Features:

Use and need them all.

- Display DNFs: I assume this is if the last log is a DNF? Obviously if it has been found since then, I want it to be a smiley on the map. ;) Otherwise, I don't care one way or the other about the requested features.

I use Geocaching Map Enhancements for the ability to drop a 161-m circle around a chosen spot on the map.

Edited by TriciaG

I've been caching since June 2011.

In the cache details popup

An item that was not listed is ability to access nearby caches with the "next" and "previous" commands. While seldom used it is the only way to access stacked unknown icons on the map.

I would like to see caches with corrected coordinates displayed at the corrected location.

I didn't even know the sharable link to the visible map which appears at the bottom of the left side pop-out exists, so I guess I don't have a use for it.

If we are opening up a wish list: I would like to be able to mark caches on the map by clicking on the icons or toggling a field in the cache popup box. The marked caches could be used to create a PQ, added to a bookmark list or even filtered so only the selected icons show on the map, perhaps for sharing, route planing or printing.

Hello,

I have been caching since June 2012.

Basic Features: keep it

Map layer selection (streets, aerial, hybrid, sources, etc.)

Search field

Ability to share direct link to current map view

Cache details pop-up with these features:

Cache name with link

GC Code

Owner name with link

Hidden date

Difficulty and Terrain ratings

Cache size

Favorite points

Bookmark it

Send to GPS

Log Visit

Premium Features:

My Finds and My Hides filters use it time to time

Cache type filters useful, it would be nice to have some additional filters or possibility to get the results e.g. caches with corrected coordinates for bigger area

Save results as Pocket Query useful

View existing Pocket Queries on the map use it very often

Indication of corrected coordinates/solved puzzles very useful

Ability to select/download caches from map by drawing a polygon on it very useful

Display DNFs not important

Edited by Taddeo

I'm geocacher from 2006.

Maps on geocaching.com I use only as last option. If I can, I use map on GeoGet or GeoKuk, because they can filter on-line (type cache, D/T and so on...) can display all WP and can filter.

Maps from Geocaching.com

- aren't photo map with sufficient resolution for BM (as google map or mapy.cz in the Czech Republic or another server in another countries). Setting googlemaps is difficult. Why it isn't on list of maps?

- aren't turistic maps (there aren't turistic signs and cycloturistic sign). There aren't map for planing turist hike.

- You have many maps, but many aren't applicable for geocaching.

- Big failure is for me and many years, that some caches cannot open from maps (I mostly use google Chrome, but I think, that it is in Mozilla Firefox and IE too) - If I place cursor over symbol of cache, does not appear window with name of cache. It's terrible!

- I can't see here archived found cache as on my off-line programs.

Only one good thing is, that on maps on Geocaching.com is 100% actually data.

From maps I use:

- Google Maps-photo

- OpenStreetMap Default

I often use cache details pop-up window.

There I often look on: Cache name with link, GC Code, Owner name with link, Hidden date, Difficulty and Terrain ratings, Cache size, Favorite points, Log Visit

Rarely I use Bookmark it, I don't use "send to GPS"

Search field

My Finds and My Hides filters

Cache type filters

- these function I use

Save results as Pocket Query

View existing Pocket Queries on the map

- I don't use these function.

Indication of corrected coordinates/solved puzzles - I don't use corrected coordinates, that I don't need it, but for another cachers it can be usefull.

Display DNFs

- These two thinks may be usefull.

For favorite point I like view % of FP, no total count of FP. Cache with 100 found it logs and 80 FP can be more better, then cache with 5000 found it logs and 200 FP.

Excuse my English

Edited by Roman_Jaromer

I have been geocaching since May 2012, but only really got going in February 2013. I will soon have 3000 finds. The web map is the main way I interact with the Geocaching site.

My laundry list:

• Google maps supports the ability to enter a street intersection, and it will show you. Geocaching needs to implement this feature. Example: If I were to enter North 34 Street and Freemont Ave, Seattle Google Maps would zoom me to that intersection.
  • Caches along a route feature seems to be hit and miss if it even works. Sometimes I have to try three web browsers to get it to work once.
  • Cache details pop-up doesn't always work, requiring a force refresh to start working again. This requires a lot of extra bandwidth as it reloads all the map tiles as well as all the cache data.
  • Would be nice if Cache details pop-up shows the same Cache Owner as the cache listing. The pop-up shows the "real" owner, while the cache listing can show a user-entered value.
  • Display caches with corrected coordinates at the corrected location
  • In hiding a cache tool, display caches with corrected coordinates at their corrected locations on the map
  • Polygon map region selection would be awesome - especially in areas where I don't want to take a ferry.
  • Add ability to filter by attributes would be nice at the map level, not just in pocket queries. Maybe as a premium feature.
  • Google maps has a distance measuring tool built in. Would be nice to see that feature on Google Maps so I don't have to open the same map twice when I'm trying to measure cache proximity.
  • Add ability to turn on cache proximity circles on the main map
  • Main map should remain optimized for desktop viewing. A map optimized for mobile devices should be built separately from the main map.
  • Map layer selection - would be nice if all options were on the same view instead of having to switch between Google and Leaflet. There are options out there that let you do this without that extra step.

Hmmm FF 36.0.1 testing click...click...click ah, nope.

This feature is not available in Safari 6.2.3 either.

We have been caching for 10 years. We welcome the opportunity to provide feedback. Primarily, we'd encourage you to do the following:

1 - Don't remove functionality.

2 - Employ human factors engineers in both the layout design and software coding of the site.

3 - If the change you are thinking about making does not add functionality or enhance/improve the end user experience, ask yourself why you are making the change.

4 - Take a close look at the user demographics of the feedback you receive; you are a worldwide cross-platform service provider; make sure you are supporting ALL of your users. Changes to this web page should work equally well whether I use them for a desktop or a mobile browser.

5 - When you implement a change, provide a listing of all changes that are implemented by that change, i.e. "we have upgraded the Map page, the following list indicates the changes that have been made…." similar to what software upgrades to a Garmin device, as an example, do.

We would also note that it is our view that third party service providers, like GSAK or Project-GC, or Geocaching Map Enhancements are filling a gap in functionality that you should be providing. The fact that they exist, and are in some cases more utilized than your own service is should be an indicator to you of how you could be improving your service for your customers.

Our comments below should be construed to indicate that the function is useful as is and no change is required unless otherwise noted.

For us this is, by far, the most used and useful feature of your website. We are deeply concerned that you are considering changing it in any way, particularly after the recent changes to the search tools, which in our view were not at all positive. Our primary feedback, based on experience with previous Groundspeak software changes over the last ten years, is that there is very little that is wrong here, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It would also be very useful if you provided more clarity on which map you are referring to. Using the "Map these results" link from the new search tool does not provide a significant portion of the functions listed below. Why don't all GC.com maps provide universal functionality?

Basic Features:

Search field

Ability to share direct link to current map view - Not needed, this can be copied and pasted from the browser's address bar. It is small enough that you may not get it all anyway.

Cache name with link

GC Code - should also include link

Owner name with link

Hidden date

Cache size

Favorite points

Bookmark it

Send to GPS - Don't ever use this, but the link to download a GPX file would be extremely useful to add.

Log Visit

Premium Features:

My Finds and My Hides filters

Cache type filters

Save results as Pocket Query

View existing Pocket Queries on the map

Indication of corrected coordinates/solved puzzles

Display DNFs

As other's have noted, it would be very useful to add the following tools:

- draw polygons (at any zoom level), then create bookmark list or pocket query of results within the polygon.

- draw circles, with a pop-up or tooltip to define radius.

- provide a distance measuring tool similar to Google earth.

Additionally, the click/freeze problem other's have noted is prevalent for us as well 15-20% of the time on a desktop or laptop computer. The map is virtually unusable in a browser on an iPad due to this issue, which is most infuriating.

Thanks for the opportunity to provide direct feedback.

I want to clarify that this forum thread is only the initial step in a long journey to a final solution. It is designed to help us make sure we are collecting the most critical elements needed for inclusion in the basic feature under discussion. This information helps us to develop the User Insights games that we build and play with the community (usually at various Mega Events held around the world), which are incredibly useful for gaining deeper insights into how people interact with the feature and how they want and need to use it. The results from those games then directly guide how we move forward with design, User Testing, Play Testing, and Beta Testing. So, please don't worry that we are packing all research on decision making on the feature into this single week; it is just the tip of the iceberg.

Hi, I'm into geocaching for 8 years now.

The Geocaching.com map is a very important tool when planning a trip or checking for interesting caches in a certain area.

I use it very often but only on the PC not the mobile phone. Therefore, fitting the map to the browser environment is most important.

My personal feature rating:

Basic Features:

Map layer selection (streets, aerial, hybrid, sources, etc.) - very important

Search field - very important

Ability to share direct link to current map view - nice to have

Cache name with link - very important

GC Code - very important

Owner name with link - very important

Hidden date - nice to have

Difficulty and Terrain ratings - very important

Cache size - very important

Favorite points - ok, I don't care too much for FPs

Bookmark it - not needed

Send to GPS - not needed

Log Visit - not needed

Premium Features:

My Finds and My Hides filters - very important

Cache type filters - quite important

Save results as Pocket Query - nice but often not feasable

View existing Pocket Queries on the map - important to check if a PQ covers the intended area

Indication of corrected coordinates/solved puzzles - would be nice

Ability to select/download caches from map by drawing a polygon on it - my favourite request!

Display DNFs - never missed before

Additional Requests (my wishlist):

Filter out finds from named Geocaching.com friends, at least 3 or 4 friends should be selectable

If so far a cache has been found by

- no one selected: show cache as smiley

- some but not all: show cache greyed out or half grey, half smiley

- all: don't show cache at all

Cache rating filters: Filter caches by D- or T-rating

Overall: Please do not over-simplify the map like it happened to the new search. Planning a trip a complex task and new users should get acquainted to filtering out what they want to see. The experienced users love to apply multiple criteria.

I hope GSP will not only ask but also listen!

Caching since December of 2003, so a little over 11 years.

My map usage has changed a lot. I never used to use the map function on the site, but now it is my primary method of discovering areas with caches I would like to look for.

Basic Features

Most of my map usage is done with the street map view versus satellite. I'll often only use the satellite view if scoping out caches in an urban location and I want to try and gather some hints on nearby landmarks. Many of the hiking caches around these parts are in areas with low resolution satellite photos so that view is less useful. I only discovered the option to enable Terrain today. Woo hoo!

The ability to share a direct link to the current map view is something I don't bother with. If i want to highlight an area to a friend, I'll usually just email the link to the cache closest to the area of interest and assume they'll click on the big map when they're on that cache page.

I also never use the Bookmark, Send to GPS, or Log Visit functions from the map. If I'm on the map page, I usually am there to get an overview of an area and then I will click on caches that catch my interest, opening each one in a new tab. I'll then go through tab by tab and interact with the cache as needed.

I think the cache details popup works very well and it gives a quick view of the most important information when hunting for a cache.

Premium Features

Most things work really well here. I do use the "Save as Pocket Query" function a lot when planning trips outside my normal home area. That is super handy. I also filter by cache type a lot.

Existing Community Requests

Indication of corrected coordinates would be a big improvement. This goes back to my comment in the other thread about the cache listing. If I have corrected the coordinates for a cache, those coordinates should be used regardless of how I am accessing the cache data. It drives me crazy that if I am on the cache page of one of my own puzzles, the cache appears in the proper (corrected) location on the maps. But, as soon as I click on "View Larger Map", the site completely forgets the corrected coordinates and dumps me onto the map where the cache is showing at the posted coordinates.

As for displaying DNFs? Yeah, might be handy as long as the DNF indicator can be toggled on/off or otherwise doesn't interfere with the visibility of the cache icon. If I'm browsing the map, I'm more interested in the cache type versus whether or not I DNF'ed it in the past.

Edited by DanOCan

Caching for 7 years.

First - the best thing to do first is to correct the "dead icons" bug on map.

Basic Features:

Map layer selection (streets, aerial, hybrid, sources, etc.) - it is important

Search field - not so much useful

Ability to share direct link to current map view

Cache name with link

GC Code - sure

Owner name with link - sure

Hidden date - sure

Cache size

Favorite points

These three features aren't so much important for me - it is better to do from opened listing

Bookmark it

Send to GPS

Log Visit

Premium Features:

My Finds and My Hides filters - very important

Cache type filters - very important

Save results as Pocket Query - important

View existing Pocket Queries on the map - interesting but I don't use it

Indication of corrected coordinates/solved puzzles - not necessary

Ability to select/download caches from map by drawing a polygon on it - nice to have

Display DNFs - nice to have when existing bugs will be corrected

Caching for eight years.

I look at maps often, but compared with others here, I use few features. In fact, I had forgotten some of those features existed, and still have not found all of them!

I would love to see integration with Google Earth. I assume this is a difficult licensing problem, and perhaps problematic technically. I'd pay a license fee to Google if that's what it took.

If we are opening up a wish list: I would like to be able to mark caches on the map by ... toggling a field in the cache popup box. The marked caches could be used to create a PQ, added to a bookmark list

Combine this with the "select by drawing" request. Select caches by both methods, adding to a clipboard. I would usually save as a PQ (a one-off, so no need to integrate with the PQ management functions), but clearly others would want to save the selection in other ways.

Perhaps there's even an argument for integrating PQs, bookmark lists, and selections ... such that any selection you make on a map would automatically be available as a PQ or bookmark list, any bookmark list as a PQ or loadable map selection, etc. At heart, both bookmark lists and PQs are just views of selections.

Edward

Edited by paleolith

I am fairly new to Geocaching, I have been Geocaching since Oct 2014.

First off I want to say that the map feature on the website is fantastic, you guys have done a great job! I solely use the web version of the map on a laptop/PC, I don't use it on a smartphone.

I use the map ALL THE TIME and it's one of the most used features on this site (although I love the PQ, of course!)

Some additions I would like to see:

1) I always wanted a DNF icon on the map and its a function I would really like to see, I am glad to see it was suggested before. I would personally say it is the single most important update to me when talking about the map.

2) The second most feature I would love to see is the ability to filter more. Sure I can filter on if I want to see only traditional caches or events but I would REALLY like the ability to filter on T/D ratings or the size of the cache. That would come in VERY handy when planning for Geocaching adventures with the family.

3) On the Cache details pop-up I would like to see a Last Found Date on the pop-up.

4) I would really like to see a feature that allows me to save my filers so I don't have to keep on re-filtering each time I open the map.

Also I wanted to echo what others are saying: PLEASE DON'T try to make the current map better for smartphones at the expense of users on a PC. If you can make it better for smartphones (which I personally would not care to use) that is fine as long as it does not impact negatively on the computers users.

Edited by MersonMonkeys

Doing geocaching since 2008, I still know the previus version of the map. So since that, much has changed ;)

Visiting GC with my desktop computer, I bookmarked the shortlink showing the map at my home coordinates. This is the way I open your website.

Here are the most important points to me considering the map:

• The map should use the maximum of the screen as possible (no large header on top or something else).
  • As described often: The map schould work fine! In some constellations icons couln't be clicked.
  • Icons lying one above the other can only be selected if you disable one of them. This should be work better.
  • More filters to dosplay/turn off caches on the map.
  • As is so often the preference of the users are different, there should be more options in the settings to adjust the map.
  • Make it more obvious, which cache is inaktive, disabled (i.e. use traffic light colors?).

Basic Features:

• Map layer selection (streets, aerial, hybrid, sources, etc.) [OK, I like comparing maps. OSM has caught up ;) ]
  • Search field [add pssibility to enter GC codes like on your startpage]
  • Ability to share direct link to current map view [remove the displayed url and add a button "short url to clipboard"]
    • Cache name with link [OK]
    • GC Code [OK]
    • Owner name with link [OK]
    • Hidden date [OK]
    • New: Last date found
    • New: Difficulty and Terrain ratings [OK]
    • Cache size [OK]
    • Favorite points [OK],[remove this while showing an event. Events dont have favs]
    • Bookmark it [OK]
    • Send to GPS [OK]
    • Log Visit [OK]

Premium Features:

• My Finds and My Hides filters [OK]
  • Cache type filters [OK]
  • New: Filter by D/T rating
  • New: Display number of favs/or favs percentage beside the icon on the map (with option to turn this on/off)
  • Save results as Pocket Query [OK]
  • View existing Pocket Queries on the map [OK]

• Indication of corrected coordinates/solved puzzles [Oh yes!]
  • Ability to select/download caches from map by drawing a polygon on it [Oh yes!]
  • Display dnfs

Thank you for your survey!

I've been geocaching since August 2011.

I use the map almost exclusively to look for caches, usually on a desktop computer, sometimes on a iPad or iPhone.

Basic features - these all seem pretty sound. I use the pop up windows lots - the info in them is about right I think. I don't download data anyway so these features aren't useful for me.

Premium features - I can't comment on these. If I want to do this sort of thing I'll use a third party solution.

Community requests - I almost certainly wouldn't use any of these.

Your key question, to me, is What functionality do you consider essential to the map, both from a web and mobile perspective?

The key functionality is that I can navigate around the map, zoom in and out and locate caches, find key information about them to "filter" them (manually in my case) - and then go to the cache page. From that perspective the map does exactly what it needs to do. I can scroll forever without a geographical limit, I can see caches at a variety of zoom levels and generally do just about everything I need to do. I don't need to do anything else because the map works as it is.

I can't see how that functionality differs that much when you take it to a mobile device - perhaps with some data issues if you're off of a wireless network. When I've used it in those situations it does seem to work fine by downloading the icons and adding the map background eventually. That seems fine to me.

Things that might be helpful:

- like others, sometimes I can't click on icons for some reason and have to zoom in and out. I don't know if this is fixable or not - it seems to be worse on an iPad btw;

- stacked icons don't show if they're on top of each other. That means I won't know that there are 17 mystery caches all stacked up somewhere. It might be handy to be able to cycle through them - or at least to ensure traditional caches at the location are always on the top.

Other than that true cross browser and cross platform support is absolutely essential of course.

Other stuff:

Anything you'd like to implement that the gme already implements would probably add some functionality. But I don't know if you'd be able to build that sort of thing in to the system fully.

Have been geocaching with Groundspeak only since April 2005. (wow, it hardly seems like 10 years.)

I don't have much to say one way or the other about the current maps displayed on cache pages. To me, they are interesting, but not all that helpful.

It's only when I choose a cache and open the Geocaching.com Map do I start to play. The ability to zoom in and out, and to pan all over the place is vital to me. That's how I find more caches to add to the list.

I don't use the other map options to the point where I completely forget they are there.

I would be thrilled beyond belief to have corrected coordinates and logged DNF's show up on the map.

Display DNFs

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I have been caching for 6 years. I use the maps extensively for determining where to cache as well as a memory tool for writing logs (OK, so I am a visual learner). Agree with others that it would be VERY nice to show solved coordinates, perhaps with a different colour (like red) for the ?. That would tell me what I have solved and what I need to solve before heading out.

Agree with most of the other comments. The dead zone for clicks is the most frustrating thing for me.

If GC.com can inplement many of the features that 3rd parties do now, a "one stop shop" would be valuable for me.

Thanks for asking!

I've been caching since Feb 2009 (started with another name)

I use the maps more than anything. I spend hours pouring over those maps.

I'd love any feature that allows me to see more information at a glance.

The number one most important improvement I need right now is the ability to click on caches on my tablet. The caches don't open when I use the tablet.

The official phone app is frustrating because it only shows a small area of caches at a time. I've got it on my phone but won't put it on my tablet.

Part of the reason I got the tablet was to view caches as I'm traveling. I want to be able to draw up a map on my tablet and view the caches all around me to be able to pick and choose caches I want to find as I pass through.

I just need to be able to open the cache page from my tablet.

All the other stuff is nice, but this one is incredibly important. I can't cache on the fly without it.

I always load "caches on a route" when I travel, but I'm limited to what the GPS will hold. I've missed some great caches right outside of my pocket queries. I get to my destination and look over my path and it drives me nuts.

Well I guess there are worse things in life than missing great caches, but I'd just rather not. :)

We've been caching since 2007

I sometimes wish DNFs would show, because I use the map to make a bookmark list when setting up for a day of caching. It would be nice to see DNFs too so as to add them to the day's list.

The ability to select/download caches from map by drawing a polygon on it would be great as well.

Otherwise the map is great!

Edited by BC & MsKitty

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to provide feedback.

I started caching in 2010 but only had 5 caches until I really started in 2012

I'm somewhat limited in my use of the map since it just doesn't work in my preferred browser, Firefox. I have reported the error (which no-one else seems to have), and was told "There are issues with Firefox - they may be fixed in the future". That was a couple of years ago.

However, when I can open it in Chrome it works fine.

First, I would love to see the right-click window operate like any other right-click menu. Having a close windox "X" doesn't seem right All the options in the current window should be there, plus "Exclude this type of cache", "Only show this type of cache", "Hide/show Finds", "Hide/Show DNF's" plus others that I'm sure will be available.

I appreciate that you may not be able to do anything about this, but I find it annoying that every time we move the map, zoom in or out, etc. a new entry appears in the browser history. Going back to where we came from is very hard. If this is something you can control it would be good to see it changed. If not, could we please get a "Back" option in the right-click menu or on the map somewhere?

I'd like to see the existing community requests implemented.

Thanks again for the option to comment

Tony

Thanks for posting this new User Insight topic. We really like being able to give our input! :D

We are Premium Members who have been caching since September 2010.

We use the map almost exclusively to plan our caching adventures. Our process goes like this:

We are travelling to Saskatoon. We click on the map icon from our profile page, zoom out and scroll around until we can see Saskatchewan, then zoom back in again until we are centered on the area we intend to visit. We pick a cache in the middle and use its GC code as our centroid for a pocket query.

OR

It's a lovely day and we want to go for a hike somewhere in our area. We click on the map icon from our profile page, zoom out and look for places that are green and have clusters of caches in them. Zoom in on an area that looks promising and peruse what's available, see if anything is disabled and why, check the condition of other caches in case we should bring extra maintenance supplies. Click on the sidebar to see which of our preset pocket queries covers the chosen area then run that query to dump into our GPS.

WE DO NOT CACHE BY PHONE (because we are clumsy and don't want to drop our phones in the creek).

Basic Features:

Map layer selection (streets, aerial, hybrid, sources, etc.) - When you switched to Leaflet maps, I still use them. I find the look cleaner. I don't use all the different map options but it is handy to have them to check terrain, and some maps - like OSM - have better trail coverage than others. Please keep these!

Search field - I've used this a few times

Ability to share direct link to current map view - Huh?

Cache name with link

GC Code

Owner name with link

Hidden date

Cache size

Favorite points

Bookmark it

Send to GPS

Log Visit <-- KEEP ALL THESE PLEASE :)

Premium Features:

My Finds and My Hides filters - I use this a lot to see what I have left in my area

Cache type filters - I use this a lot to find multis or puzzles without the visual congestion of traditionals

Save results as Pocket Query - I don't think I've ever done that, probably because I try to optimize the 1000 waypoint limit on my pocket queries and it is difficult to do that on any given map screen.

View existing Pocket Queries on the map - Yes! I use this all the time to quickly check which areas are covered by which query.

Indication of corrected coordinates/solved puzzles - Yes please! I know this shows on the small map on the cache page and that the corrected coords load into my GPS, but it would be helpful from a trip planning perspective to see solved puzzles in their actual location on all maps.

Ability to select/download caches from map by drawing a polygon on it - I think this would be extremely useful. Framing out the shape of a park, for instance. You should include a counter that adds up how many caches are inside the polygon so you can stay within your 1000 waypoint pocket query limit. EVER BETTER - allow click-selection of individual caches that you can then add to a bookmark list or run as a pocket query!

Display DNFs - Yes please again! I'm totally okay with seeing blue frownies on my map (and on my profile page). I consider it a challenge.

I would like to mention that I occassionally access the website and maps on my Android tablet. In fact, I bought a special adapter that allows me to transfer pocket queries I've created and downloaded to my tablet to my GPS (SO AWESOME!!! Thanks to BC who told me about that trick!) It may just be my wireless antenna/connection but the maps are really laggy on this device. It's not something I do often - really only when I'm caught unprepared or need to check some info - but I thought I would mention it.

Edited by 6NoisyHikers

Hi, thanks for once again giving us the oppertunity to comment. I've been a member since November 09.

Basic Features:

Map layer selection (streets, aerial, hybrid, sources, etc.) I used this for a while, sometime I will use Open Street maps if I want information on footpaths, but most of the time it stays set to google maps.

Search field Seems to have improved recently, I seem to recall it not accepting a UK postcode. Seems to work now though

Ability to share direct link to current map view Never realy noticed this, if I wanted to share the page I would just copy the link out of the address bar.

Cache details pop-up with these features: It's fine for me! but I think a small tweak is needed to the test for Bookmarking, Send to GPS and log visit is neeeded. The closest image to send to GPS is the log visit image I know it's rather minor but it makes sense for the images to be closest to the link they represent. 2ngv143.jpg

Cache name with link

GC Code

Owner name with link

Hidden date

Cache size

Favorite points

Bookmark it

Send to GPS

Log Visit

Premium Features:

My Finds and My Hides filters I don't use my hides so much, but I have used my finds recently.

Cache type filtersHandy, helps me spot areas with high concentrations of certain cache types.

Save results as Pocket QueryNot used this!

View existing Pocket Queries on the map Handy, I use it to check the pocket query I generated covers the entire walk or the entire area I'm caching in.

Indication of corrected coordinates/solved puzzles Yes Please!

Ability to select/download caches from map by drawing a polygon on it Not sure I would really use it

Display DNFs This could be rather handy

I do geocaching for about 10y.

I'm using all features of the map, including PQ. But for me its only usefull with desktop, not with smartphone. This is why the filter-frame on the left side can't be scrolled. And this is why you ever have to use the scrollbar of this frame, but the scrollbar is zoomed to a 2mm small bar when using smartphone.

Only generally problem is, that it happens very often that when I click on a symbol in the map nothing happens. Sometimes it helps when I click another symbol and then the first again or change zoomfactor by doubleclick.

Polygonfunction would be nice to have.

Whatever other says - show-PQ-function is important for me.

Greats vikking

I've been geocaching for just over 5 years with just over 3800 Finds. I use GSAK alot, but I use the website to figure out what caches I want to seek before putting them in GSAK and don't blindly download PQs very often so I find the website map useful.

Cache details pop-up should include Last Found Date in addition to Hidden Date.

The pop-up currently gives the options of Bookmark, Send To GPS, and Log Visit. PLEASE add Download GPX as another option. There is already room on that line!

Existing Community Requests: I like all 3 requests listed (corrected/solved indicator, polygon download, filter for your DNFs).

Perhaps three different kinds of Mystery (?) icons on the map, if possible:

Solved (has corrected coordinates)

Virtual (CO selected "Physical - You placed something here" for the posted coordinates.)

Physical (CO selected "Virtual - You did not place something here" for the posted coordinates.)

Virtual posted coords usually mean the cache is a solve-at-home puzzle with completely bogus posted coords. Sometimes these coords are located in a lake or otherwise an obviously impossible location, but sometimes not.

I think the website map should be (stay) optimized for the BIG SCREEN.

Agreed.

Edited by Joshism

I've been caching since April 2011.

I use the website's map very extensively, it is one of my primary interactions with the site. I like using it to browse areas for interesting caches, or to see where I've been recently. Heck, I even do a lot of my logging from the cache page (clicking the log my visit link) since I find it easier to remember which caches I've found by looking at the map, than from a list of codes. One thing I've noticed is that the map doesn't work very well on my Tablet (Android) especially when it comes to selecting caches. On my tablet I use a 3rd party app for maps/geocaching. There are a lot of features of the 3rd party app that I think would be beneficial to the site. Filtering based on D/T, date last found or date placed are the ones that interest me most (I like hunting lonely caches). I can get most of this functionality through PQs but having it on the map makes it a step easier, especially when in the field. Showing DNFs would nice as a toggle feature, I'd want to turn it off though since I have a lot of DNFs that I don't necessarily want staring me in the face all the time cute_animated.gif. That said, if it was a trade off between having more features ona amp, or having a map that is quick and responsive to zooming and panning, I'd rather have a quick map than a map full of features. Just my 2cents.

I am a Premium member and I started in July 2014. I currently have 467 caches.

Why, thank you for asking about this feature! I use the map to search for almost all geocaches.

Basic Features:

I LOVE this feature!

I end up having to click on the link to see what the top five logs are classified as. Maybe there could be a horizontal list, such as [smiley, smiley, frowny, smiley, smiley] or [frowny, frowny, frowny, frowny, smiley]. Then I would know if I want to skip the cache or take along another geocacher to search again (and possibly mark as Needs Maintenance or Archive Listing).

Display DNFs

YES TO ALL OF THESE!

If the puzzle cache has been solved, make a field to enter the coordinates then present the coordinates on the map with a little checkmark icon or something similar. Also enable this on the app.

Yes to displaying MY dnfs. I think this ought to be a feature that you can turn on/off. It would be a bummer if the majority of your map consisted of these. Seeing the smileys are better, but if you're specifically looking to clear up your own dnfs, then you can turn this feature on.

I also agree with these replies from other geocachers:

"If you could fix the long-standing glitch where some caches are "dead" to clicks after panning/zooming, that'd be great." <-- This is an annoying glitch. Yes, please fix it.

"Add ability to turn on cache proximity circles on the main map" <-- Yes! When I'm out caching I sometimes see an area that would be great to place a cache, but when I get home I have to slog through various links on the geocaching website to get to this feature.

"Filter out finds from named Geocaching.com friends" <--I would like to see the caches that my friends have found, but I haven't yet... so that I catch up to them >:)

"Make it more obvious, which cache is inaktive, disabled (i.e. use traffic light colors?" <-- I can't always tell the difference between active and the sort-of-faded-grey disabled icons. They don't need a traffic color, just a better contrast between the two.

The maps generally do what I need them to do. What I would like most is a map that uses the actual cache icon for the type of cache it is. The virtual icon is used for EarthCaches and webcams. That is very annoying. Expand the color palette as well. I realize that would mean shades of various colors, but enough differentiation can be made.

Edited by South Lyon Trekkers

Forgot to mention, and I'm sure I've already mentioned this somewhere else, but...

In the popup where you choose between Google and Leaflet (please rename!) maps, all the advantages you list under Google are now also advantages in the other column, whatever it'll be called. Also (nit-picking now), I'm pretty sure OpenCycle is actually spelled OpenCycleMap, and I haven't seen MyTopo in ages, but it's still listed.

Been geocaching over ten years. I use the maps as my main search engine.

Please do NOT destroy them as GS has the search page! What used to be simple is now difficult and non-intuitive. Click four different buttons now, instead of one. Geeky and IPhone friendly. Not friendly to computer users and the non-geeky. Please do not do that to the maps!

The changes I would like to see:

Clicking on the icon sometimes does not open the cache page. Especially when away from the beginning center. It enlarges the map several times before it works. That (as many others have mentioned) needs to be fixed.

The increase/decrease map size gadget will move the center of the map if there's a cache icon there. That needs to be fixed.

Panning out changes the icons. It would be nicer if it didn't.

Each cache type should have its own icon.

Graying out disabled caches can be tough to see. I like the idea of a color change. Maybe 'red' for disable caches?

The new ideas mentioned would men nothing to me. Go for them, if the cachers like them. Just don't make the maps page counter-intuitive and sell-phone geeky. Keep it usable for us desk-top computer users.

5 years.

I, too, use the map as my main interface to look at caches, and I find it works fairly well. I use most of the features from time to time, but the ones I use on a daily basis are the filters and viewing PQs.

I do not use the corrected coordinates feature, but, nevertheless, I would appreciate being able to mark a cache as "solved" and have that reflected on the map. (Naturally since I haven't adjusted the coordinates, I expect the icon to remain at the posted coordinates.) Furthermore, although I don't care because I don't use the feature, I agree it's somewhat astonishing that when the coordinates are corrected, the cache is still put on the map at the posted coordinates.

I see the logic of a feature to display DNFs, and I'd probably appreciate it, but I'm normally aware of which caches I've DNFed.

Another few other points not mentioned:

I'd like the cache type to still be obvious in the icon for found caches, although I admit I'm vague about how that could be pulled off without making it less obvious which caches are found.

I don't expect the map to have all the features of google maps, but I often want to bring up a google map window at the same location I'm looking at with the GC map so I can use its additional features such as street view and measuring distances. Currently I have to open a cache, then use the google map link in the cache's description to get to the full feature map, which is annoying and clumsy. Although I'm thinking of a "forget the caches and show me this map in google maps" button, there's also a logic to adding a link in the cache popup that brings up a google map with the cache location indicated.

Oh, slightly off topic, but when I'm looking at the description for a cache in the states, right there at the top of the description I can click on the state name to jump to the map centered on that cache, but when I'm looking at caches out of the US, that feature isn't available -- the country name isn't a link -- so I have to scroll down to the secondary map and click on its "view larger map" link. Why is that?

Part of the reason I got the tablet was to view caches as I'm traveling. I want to be able to draw up a map on my tablet and view the caches all around me to be able to pick and choose caches I want to find as I pass through.

I just need to be able to open the cache page from my tablet.

I fully agree with this. When I'm travelling I take my iphone and my ipad into the coffee shop and check the GC maps on my ipad. It is very frustrating when tap an icon and nothing happens, I can't get to the cache page via the map. Would love to see this fixed.

Below is a current inventory of the functions and features on the map, along with some of the existing enhancement requests we have in our backlog. What functionality do you consider essential to the map, both from a web and mobile perspective?

• Check out the list and let us know if there is anything missing.
  • Add comments by any item that you want to highlight letting us know why it is important/not important to you.
  • Let us know what information isn't necessary on the page.

Basic Features:

• Search field
  • Ability to share direct link to current map view
    • Cache name with link
    • GC Code
    • Owner name with link
    • Hidden date
    • Cache size
    • Favorite points
    • Bookmark it
    • Send to GPS
    • Log Visit
    • DATE LAST FOUND
    • 'NEEDS MAINTENANCE' ICON

Premium Features:

• My Finds and My Hides filters
  • Cache type filters
  • Save results as Pocket Query
  • View existing Pocket Queries on the map

• Display DNFs

Thank you for taking part in the conversation!

* Please note: If you haven't read the pinned thread for this forum, please take a moment to do so. This thread will be open for one week.

I made a couple minor additions above (in BOLD CAPS) that have been brought up before and I believe generally got a positive response from users.

Edited by J Grouchy

Geocaching since 2010, mostly Austria, PM for reasons of comfort.

Now often it isn't possible to actually select a cache for pup-up as there is no reaction to clicks or touch on touchscreens and the whole thing somehow freezes, improvement is welcome.

Basic Features:

• Map layer selection (streets, aerial, hybrid, sources, etc.) important, even though until I only have used it to switch to Openstreetmap Default
  • Search field very important
  • Ability to share direct link to current map view haven't noticed this until now
    • Cache name with link very important
    • GC Code very important
    • Owner name with link very important
    • Hidden date very important
    • Difficulty and Terrain ratings very important
    • Cache size very important
    • Favorite points important
    • Bookmark it very important
    • Send to GPS I don't use it, would use gps for both smartphone and gpsr
    • Log Visit I don't use it as I always want to have a look at the last logs before writing my log

Premium Features:

• My Finds and My Hides filters very important to me as I live in a Cache-dense region
  • Cache type filters very important to me
  • Save results as Pocket Query don't see the advantage as there isn't too much filtering possible, but if filter criteria are widened to all what was possible in old search *plus* what is possible in new search, I would use it a lot
  • View existing Pocket Queries on the map very important to me

• Indication of corrected coordinates/solved puzzles very important to me, there is no use in showing only headercoordinates when corrected coordiantes are available. That's one of the few things that are really better with the new search, that it shows corrected coordinates on map. Best would be to be able to choos 'only correctet' or all, but with indicator in the symbol
  • Ability to select/download caches from map by drawing a polygon on it nice to have
  • Display DNFs nice to have

Geocaching since 2009, Premium member.

Basic Features:

• Map layer selection (streets, aerial, hybrid, sources, etc.) very important
  • Search field nice to have
  • Ability to share direct link to current map view not important
    • Cache name with link very important
    • GC Code very important
    • Owner name with link very important
    • Hidden date very important
    • Difficulty and Terrain ratings very important
    • Cache size very important
    • Favorite points important
    • Bookmark it not important
    • Send to GPS not important
    • Log Visit not important

Premium Features:

• My Finds and My Hides filters very important
  • Cache type filters very important
  • Save results as Pocket Query important
  • View existing Pocket Queries on the map very important

• Indication of corrected coordinates/solved puzzles very very very important! Currently using external tools for this - but I need this all the time for trip planning, in order to see which solved mysteries would be along the track / in the intended area. I would love to see uncorrected/corrected ones with different icons or colors, and to be able to filter them (show only corrected / show all).
  • Ability to select/download caches from map by drawing a polygon on it very important when preparing trips to other regions or countries. I hate the current procedure of starting off with some center point and radius, checking the map, adjusting, checking, adjusting... until I finally get the area I need.
  • Display DNFs nice to have

And please fix the bug that sometimes (too often!) the cache icons are not responding to clicks anymore...

Edited by f1nn