Cache Listing

Moun10Bike

We are interested in learning more about the various ways that users engage with geocaching. We would love your input on how you use the current system and what could be done differently. We encourage responses from geocachers of all experience levels.

In your first post, please include how long you have been geocaching.

Below is a current inventory of the functions and features on the cache listing, along with some of the existing enhancement requests we have in our backlog. What functionality do you consider essential to the cache page, both from a web and mobile perspective?

• Check out the list and let us know if there is anything missing.
  • Add comments by any item that you want to highlight letting us know why it is important/not important to you.
  • Let us know what information isn't necessary on the page.

Elements offered on the current cache page:

Basic Details:

• Title
  • Cache Type
  • Description
  • Coordinates/Location
  • Difficulty/Terrain
  • Size
  • Favorites
  • Hint
  • Map (overview)
  • Map (larger, zoomed-in version)

Additional Details:

• Cache Owner
  • Date Hidden
  • Distance from Home Location
  • Corrected Coordinates
  • Quick Link
  • Print Friendly
  • Driving Directions
  • Send to GPS
  • Disclaimer
  • Personal Cache Note (PM feature)
  • Photo Gallery
  • Trackable Inventory
  • Attributes
  • Additional Waypoints
  • Find… (links to nearby caches, waymarks)
  • Other Map Links

Lists:

• Watch
  • Bookmark
  • Ignore

Owner Tools:

• Edit
  • Edit Attributes
  • Waypoints
  • Upload Images
  • Archive
  • Disable

Existing Community Requests:

• In-house geochecker
  • "Last Found" summary
  • Ability to filter logs by clicking on log type icons
  • Add event start and end time fields

Thank you for taking part in the conversation!

* Please note: If you haven't read the pinned thread for this forum, please take a moment to do so. This thread will be open for one week.

We are interested in learning more about the various ways that users engage with geocaching. We would love your input on how you use the current system and what could be done differently. We encourage responses from geocachers of all experience levels.

I have been caching since December of 2003, so a little over 11 years. I don't have a lot of comments.

Basic Details

- I almost never use the overview map. The distance and bearing (SE 2.8 km from your home location) already gives me a general idea of where the cache will be, in most cases. I use the larger map much more often as, once I am on a cache page that interests me, I want to see what other caches are hidden around it.

- It would be great if the cache submission process made it clear to people that nano-size caches are properly listed as Micros and not Other. That is often the most wrongly completed information field in this section.

Additional Details

Corrected Coordinates: It would be nice this feature was available on all cache types. It would be very handy to be able to update the coordinates of a Traditional cache in situations where the initial seekers discover a problem with the posted coordinates and make mention of it in their logs. Sometimes owners are slow to react or, on some really old caches, have left the game.

Quick Link: Is this the drop down arrow next to the GC-code that gives me the coord.info URL? If so, I use this a lot, especially when planning a caching trip with friends and I want to send them a list of caches via email.

Printer Friendly: The only time I print a cache page now is if it is a Puzzle that is easier to solve with pen and paper, or a Multi that I might want to make notes on or record answers for in the field. Yes, I can do it electronically, but pen and paper is much faster sometimes.

Driving Directions: Rarely use this feature. The web interface assumes I am starting from home which, unless the cache I am looking at is the first one of the trip, is often not the case. It may be force of habit, but I'll copy and paste the coordinates into Google Maps myself instead of clicking on this link.

Send to GPS: Only use this if it is a brand new cache and my Pocket Queries have already run for the day and I want to get the cache quicky loaded into the GPSr for a spur of the moment hunt. As the accuracy of the GPS on my phone has improved over the years, I'll often use it for these impromptu caching hunts more than using the Send to GPS function.

Disclaimer: I know it's there for legal reasons, but I never even notice it anymore. If it keeps you from being sued out of existence, I won't call it a waste of screen space.

Find... I use this a lot, mainly for locating nearby caches (along with browsing the big map) or interesting Waymarks nearby. Love this functionality. Rarely use the "...other caches hidden or found by this user" option though -- I usually get that information from their profile.

Other Map Links: A function I never use.

Existing Community Requests: I like the idea of start and end time fields for events, IF it would automatically populate those in my calendar when I said "Add to Calendar". It always annoys me that the cache page clearly says the event runs from 17:30 - 21:00 but it gets added to my calendar as an all day event which I then need to edit manually.

Wow, I had more to comment on than I thought! Cheers!

I have been premium member since september 2005, and have found 15390 caches so far.

My primary tool for geocaching is GSAK, updated with data from PocketQuerys and API access.

Most of my use is therefor offline in GSAK, and the online cache listing is not visited often.

I think the cache listing is OK as is, and would like to have work done at other places instead.

/HelgeLarsen

Edited by HelgeLarsen

Caching since December 24 2001.

Basic Details:

Additional Details:

• Corrected Coordinates - make it more obvious that I've corrected the coordinates. A check mark or make the underline a noticeable color. Have the title tag that comes up when I hover over the coords say that they have been corrected.
  • Quick Link - what's that?
  • Personal Cache Note - love this feature. Maybe the ability to add a live link in the note field would be nice. I could add a live link to my blog entry for that cache.
  • Find… (links to nearby caches, waymarks) - use this section a lot. No complaints or suggestions, works well for me.

Lists:

• Watch - get rid of the number (4) beside watch - it drives some people batty to not know who's watching their cache
  • Ignore - give us more than one ignore list - I'd like one for challenge caches found but not able to log as a find

Owner Tools:

• Somehow make it more obvious that Owner Maintenance is required once maintenance is done after an NM report

• In-house geochecker - yes please

I have been geocaching for three years (since January 2012).

Basic Details:

Obviously, both title, type, ratings, size, favorites, hint and description are important parts.

I use the map often to quickly determine where the cache is. If I could decide, I would have removed the larger map, and implemented panning and zooming in the small map.

I would also have removed the huge "Geocache Description" text.

Additional Details:

What I don't need is: Corrected coordinates, Driving Directions, Send to GPS, Disclaimer (guess you need that one anyway) and Other Map Links.

I use the Quick Link and Find… a lot.

I also enjoy taking photos while geocaching, so the gallery is really important to me.

Lists:

This should be as it is.

Owner Tools:

I would like Edit, Edit Attributes, Waypoints and Upload images to stay.

But Archive and Disabled doesn't make much sense to have there, unless you also add "Owner Maintenance" and "Update Coordinates". As long as we have to click "Log your visit" do to some of the tings, we might as well do that for disabling and archiving also.

I would really like to see these two implemented:

Add event start and end time fields

Ability to filter logs by clicking on log type icons

A "Last Found" summary would be nice, and so would a In-house geochecker. But other alternatives exist, so maybe other items should get higher priority

10 years.

I think it's pretty much OK as it is, a few observations:

The Favourites count should show whether I've given it a favourite without me needing to click on that box.

The phrase "**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links." should be reworded, as in it's current form it could be construed as giving permission to include spoilers.

The banner pointing to the disclaimer is using up screen real estate right where something useful could be, I would rather see that moved to the bottom of the page.

I've been caching since 7/'04, ten of those years as pm.

I'd like to see the watchlist number removed, as it seems to make some overly anal a bit wacky.

- But, I'd like to see the watchlist itself remain.

If it is ever removed completely, I'd hope the pmo audit function would go with it. :)

Similar to thomfre, I don't understand the reasoning in having Archive and Disabled on the Owner Tools, when all related functions have you going in the "Log your visit" anyway.

Everything else I'd like to see remain as-is.

Thank you for your time.

I'm caching since September 2002.

What functionality do you consider essential to the cache page, both from a web and mobile perspective?

I do not use mobile devices at all. I wonder why apparently Groundspeak questions the whole design of the cache pages.

It is one thing to maybe add some requested features and another to question every single feature which exists right now.

I can hardly think of anything on cache pages that is not currently in use by a group of cachers.

So why taking something away? It's not about profiles where there is limited space.

I have used most of the functionality available on caches pages. I find it hard to reply to your list which looks like a scrambled heap when hitting reply. So I try it with free text

All cache specific data (ratings, attributes etc), the print friendly format, the send to GPS command, links to diverse mapping services (in some areas openstreetmap e.g. is better than google maps and for some countries there are special maps, like e.g. for the Czech republic) and in particular and above all the

search nearest commands (both for all types and for the specific cache types) with no distance restriction (regardless of the membership type) and in the currently existing output format (and not the horrible new search tool output format!) are most important to me.

As a cache owner I mainly care about no length restriction for the length of the long description text.

From my perspective: The less changes in existing features and the look of the listings, the better. I would not mind if an in house geochecker or other additional features are added as this would not change the usage of what's already there.

PS: I wonder why the window during which this thread is open is so short. Many people will not even become aware of this thread, and like often most answers will come from North America.

Edited by cezanne

There's not a lot I'd change with the cache page. I've been caching since 2005, and have seen the page go through many iterations. It's pretty darn good right now.

An iconic summary of recent logs near the top would be nice, as I think was already suggested.

Those photo links - when the CO has loaded photos to the page directly - would ideally be "lightbox" links. It's no fun reloading the cache page every time you hit Back. A minor complaint, and in the meantime I wheel-click those to open in a new tab.

I really like that the larger map is interactive. I often zoom out to see context. And I like that you default to OSM for this map, meaning that when I add trails to OSM, they show on the cache pages in turn.

Please keep the Javascripty hint-decoder. You lost it for a while, then got it back. It's good to have.

The "gear" icon in the far top-right corner is a good way of hiding the function behind it. I'm always looking for words to match something I'm looking for - where's "settings"? - and never think to hover over icons. Besides, how do you hover over something on a tablet?

"Rendered from:Unknown" is a long-standing quirk at the very bottom of every cache page. I don't think anybody would miss it.

Good grief, that long? Nearly 10 years.

Basic Details.

Fine with it all. I do use both maps.

Additional Details.

GPX file is missing from your list, I use that a lot to get listings into GSAK.

I use GSAK quite a bit. With the flaky handling of corrected coordinates I really don't care if that goes or stays, That is what GSAK is for. Likewise for personal note, but it is only available for download via the API.

Not sure what you mean by Quick link.

Lists.

Keep them all. Watch counts don't cause me any angst.

Owner tools.

Keep them.

Existing Requests.

In house geochecker - nice but not something I would use much.

Last found summary - whats wrong with the scroll wheel?

Ability to filter logs by clicking on log type icons - A BIG YES HERE

Next month we'll have been caching for 5 years :)

Below is a current inventory of the functions and features on the cache listing, along with some of the existing enhancement requests we have in our backlog. What functionality do you consider essential to the cache page, both from a web and mobile perspective?

• Check out the list and let us know if there is anything missing.
  • Add comments by any item that you want to highlight letting us know why it is important/not important to you.
  • Let us know what information isn't necessary on the page.

Basic Details:

• Title
  • Cache Type
  • Description
  • Coordinates/Location
  • Difficulty/Terrain
  • Size
  • Favorites
  • Hint
  • Map (overview)

All useful - nothing there I would want to lose

Additional Details:

• Cache Owner
  • Date Hidden
  • Distance from Home Location
  • Corrected Coordinates
  • Quick Link
  • Print Friendly
  • Driving Directions
  • Send to GPS
  • Disclaimer
  • Personal Cache Note (PM feature)
  • Photo Gallery
  • Trackable Inventory
  • Attributes
  • Additional Waypoints
  • Find… (links to nearby caches, waymarks) - this is the one thing from this list that I never use
  • Other Map Links

Lists:

• Watch
  • Bookmark
  • Ignore - this is the one thing from this list that I never use - I like to see even those caches I don't expect to be finding in case I need to factor them into my own cache placements from a proximity perspective

Owner Tools:

• Edit
  • Edit Attributes
  • Waypoints
  • Upload Images
  • Archive
  • Disable

all essential.

• In-house geochecker This would be nice if it was feature rich rather than just basic - and it needs to be secure too and incorporate captcha to ensure it is protected from bots / scripts.
  • "Last Found" summary Don't know what this means.
  • Add event start and end time fields Can't see any particular use for this.

I wish I could offer suggestions for additional useful features but to be completely honest I think the page is really good as it is. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to provide our feedback :)

Thank you for taking part in the conversation!

* Please note: If you haven't read the pinned thread for this forum, please take a moment to do so. This thread will be open for one week.

Hello!

Doing Geocaching since 2008 (from 2009 as PM) I recognized, that the way I play the game has changed - so the way I use the page has changed too.

The first big step was going from printed listings on papers to paperless listings on gps-advices. The second one was sending listings to mobile phones (paperless listings on older gps advices often do not show all informations/pictures ie. ).

Basic details:

- OK. Most may remain as they are.

- Maps: The two small maps should be removed. Instead, there should be a larger one that extends across the full width of the listing placed under the the coordinates on top of the listing.

- summerize the buttons "loc file, sent to phone, etc." in one button on the right. Something like "share"-buttons on mobile phones.

Additional details:

- add a button "copy to clipboard" beside the quicklink

- I missed the "external url Link" in your explanation. I think this field may be removed. External Links may be placed in the description

- Summerize the "print option" in one button, like the favorites-button (fold-out)

- new: a field to upload an banner-picture. These may be collected and shown like souvenirs in each profile.

List:

- one additional list: "clipboard list". While putting the listing to this list, you can collect several listings. Being ready to go outside, you grab this list with your phone-app or something else. It may be a tool to plan a route/journey.

Owner details

- OK. Most may remain as they are.

- Some kind of "owner alert": >> use logtype "owner maintenance" (after physical maintenance) to remove "needs maintenance"-attribute <<

If you want a big change:

Separate the logs from the listing! There is already the link "Logbock" with the log type icons. Just put this link an the icons in the right column and combine this with the point "Ability to filter logs by clicking on log type icons". Thats it. Like this the loading weight of the listing page may be reduced.

Greets,

st3pahn

Caching since March 2009

Regarding the elements on the current cache listings, I don't see any need to remove or change any of them.

However, if a redesign of the listing page is in the cards, there's one thing that's absolutely critical: members need to be given a heads-up. There are many puzzles that depend either on certain functionality on the page or the design/layout itself (ie. background image, related website link, etc.). Members (ALL members, not just Premium) should be given a preview of how their cache pages would look under the new design to give them time to prepare their listings. This should also be done far enough in advance of the actual change that the members have enough time to prepare (at least a couple of weeks).

In-house geochecker

I guess I don't understand what the benefits would be of having an in-house geochecker over the 3rd-party ones already available. If better integration into the website is desired, such as being able to automatically edit the corrected coordinates, this could be accomplished by providing the necessary API functions which the 3rd-parties could then use.

"Last Found" summary

I have to assume this would be somewhere near the top of the page. Personally, I feel there's already enough information at the top of the page, so I'd rather not have even more packed in there that might bump important information farther down the page (see "Recently Viewed Caches" on the /my page).

This is something that would be very useful and I wholeheartedly support.

Sure, I don't see why not. It could go in the vacant spot where the Favourite box would normally be.

Been caching about 2.5 years. 330 finds, 7 hides.

Basic Details:

- Can probably get rid of the short description that is placed before the long one. I haven't seen it used anywhere special such that it needs to be separate. (Best to merge it in with the long description rather than delete it, though, in case the info is not redundant.)

- I use both maps also; please don't get rid of one of them. :)

Additional Details:

- Corrected Coords: I've seen valid reasons for wanting this ability on more than just the unknown/puzzle caches (and I think one other type). Can we get it on all types?

- Print Friendly: I've never used this.

- Driving Directions: Never used this, either. But I can see how it would be handy on a mobile with data access.

- Trackable Inventory: PLEASE implement the ability to remove "ghost" trackables as discussed here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=284690

- Find… (links to nearby caches, waymarks): Useful, but I rarely use them because I forget they're there. Perhaps make them graphic links of some sort?

Bu IMHO, get rid of:

*other caches hidden or found by this user

*all nearby waymarks on Waymarking.com

- Other Map Links: I never use these.

Lists:

- Agree with others: Remove the number of users watching a cache

Owner Tools: - A-OK

Existing Community Requests: - I like all these suggstions

IMHO, get rid of:

Please DON'T get rid of the link to streetmap.co.uk

This link is VERY useful for UK users as that map shows the position of the cache relative to Public Footpaths which is enormously useful in working out the correct and legal route to the cache being looked at.

Those maps also other very useful information such as:

Contour lines - very useful in assessing terrain

Footbridges - often essential when needing to cross a body of water

Parking places

Edit to fix use of incorrect word.

Edited by Team Microdot

However, if a redesign of the listing page is in the cards, there's one thing that's absolutely critical: members need to be given a heads-up. There are many puzzles that depend either on certain functionality on the page or the design/layout itself (ie. background image, related website link, etc.). Members (ALL members, not just Premium) should be given a preview of how their cache pages would look under the new design to give them time to prepare their listings. This should also be done far enough in advance of the actual change that the members have enough time to prepare (at least a couple of weeks).

This is a very, very good point that I had not even thought of.

The other side of the equation is that Groundspeak is unlikely to be able to maintain awareness of the many different ways that CO's build puzzles which fundamentally rely on particular properties of the website, and I don't think anyone could fairly ask it of them.

Unless there is / could be some mechanism by which this was flagged up by the reviewer as part of the review process such that Groundspeak could maintain in internal overview knowledgebase so that they would at least be aware of any website changes which would be likely to break puzzles?

A concern would be that users could waste time trying to solve puzzles which were fundamentally broken while they, the CO and Groundspeak remain blissfully unaware that a solution was impossible.

IMHO, get rid of:

Please DON'T get rid of the link to streetmap.co.uk

This link is VERY useful for UK users as that map shows the position of the cache relative to Public Footpaths which is enormously useful in working out the correct and legal route to the cache being looked at.

Those maps also other very useful information such as:

Contour lines - very useful in assessing terrain

Footbridges - often essential when needing to cross a body of water

Parking places

Edit to fix use of incorrect word.

The "IMHO you can get rid of" was for the two items directly below it; not for the map links. :) Those I simply never use, but figure that others DO use them.

I've been geocaching for 9 years (since January 2006).

For all the existing functions and features of the cache listing, I consider them all essential (or at least, very useful), except for the following:

• Maps (both overview and larger, zoomed-in version) - Both of these are somewhat useful at times, but I often end up just opening a map link in a new tab (either Google Maps or Geocaching.com Map).
  • Distance from Home Location - Should be Distance from Current Location in mobile context.
  • Driving Directions - Essential in a mobile context; I never use it in a web context.
  • Send to GPS - I never use this.
  • Disclaimer - I don't care about this, but your lawyers probably do.

Regarding the existing community requests:

• In-house geochecker - Assuming it remains optional for the CO to enable it, and assuming that it includes reasonable precautions to slow down brute-forcing attempts, sure.
  • "Last Found" summary - As I understand it, this would be a visual summary of the types of the most recent logs, for example:
    2.png2.png2.png4.png2.png vs 3.png3.png45.png3.png3.png
    In that case, I'd want to see this summary in a list of caches, not on the cache listing itself. Otherwise, I suppose it depends what you really mean by a "Last Found" summary.
  • Ability to filter logs by clicking on log type icons - I'd rather view logs in their proper context, rather than viewing just certain type(s) of logs.
  • Add event start and end time fields - This would be very useful, especially if it meant that the "Add to Calendar" links could include the event times in the calendar appointment.

The other side of the equation is that Groundspeak is unlikely to be able to maintain awareness of the many different ways that CO's build puzzles which fundamentally rely on particular properties of the website, and I don't think anyone could fairly ask it of them.

I would never suggest that they even try. There are puzzles out there using almost every part of the website. It would be a fool's errand to keep track of them all and notify everyone every time there's the slightest change somewhere on the website.

However, I think it would be fair to assume that the functionality on the cache listing page is what the majority of these puzzles use. As long as members are notified that a function is being changed or removed, then I'd be fine with that. Puzzles based on far-flung parts of the website do so at their own risk.

An example of a fairly recent change that affected puzzles was the Cloudfront image-storage change. When changes were made there that resized images and changed file extensions, a number of puzzles were broken. There was no notification of any kind that this change was being made, either beforehand or after. Changes like this really need to be communicated to the membership. I'm sure there are a bunch of puzzles that are irreparably broken and nobody has noticed yet.

Caching since Jan 2011

Basic Details:

I see no need to change these

Additional Details:

I'm good for all these, too

Lists:

All good, I like to see how many are watching, it gives me an idea of dnf's that people don't log.

Owner Tools:

All good

All are ok, some I don't use but might in the future

****This might be better in the map thread. I would also like to see a list of the caches on the map page that you can organize, see at a glance, like on the iphone mobile app

****I would like to see is more interaction between the mobile apps and the website. I would like to pull up my saved files and to back them up and to be able to see them on the computer. I use my iphone for caching and it has served me quite well for over 4 years.

That has been suggested as a simple text field or the like that would provide the date on when the cache was last found.
In that case, I'm not sure how useful a "Last Found" summary would be. I'd still need to see the context of that last Find log. Have there been a dozen DNFs since then? Has there been no activity since then, with a similar interval since the Find before that?

Driving Directions - Essential in a mobile context; I never use it in a web context.
Just to clarify, what I consider essential in a mobile context is the ability to call Google Navigate with the cache coordinates, or with the coordinates of the parking waypoint.

• Distance from Home Location - Should be Distance from Current Location in mobile context.

Please NO! This friggin location based stuff on my desk top puts me 200 miles from home. I have yet found a way of turning it off so I can set home on the browser. If you do this, make sure you use the home coordinates I set on my profile, not the lie my browser tells.

If some one can tell me how to turn of this location based stuff in FF then I will withdraw my objection.

If some one can tell me how to turn of this location based stuff in FF then I will withdraw my objection.

In the URL bar, type about:config

Type geo.enabled

Double click on the geo.enabled preference

Location-Aware Browsing is now disabled

But I suspect GS are using IP based location, which means disabling it in Firefox won't make any difference, but you could try it.

My name is thomas0809. I'm from germany, I found about 5500 Caches an did hide 160.

I would like to see Caches a their KORREKTET KOORDS (optionally aditionaly or exclusely)

I do miss an internal geochecker with adjustable timeout-possibiities

I do miss statistics about my hidden caches.

the import of pocket queries (to iphone) is very much too slow. even is the saving of lists etc.

I do not need TWO Maps in the www.Listings.... the overview is obsolete (for me). the adjustable greater view on is very good.

Greetings from Halstenbek/Hamburg/Germany

Thomas0809

PS:please excuse my horrible english

Hello,

thanks for this opportunity again. I have been caching since June 2012. Here are my observations:

Basic Details: this is ok

Title

Cache Type

Description

Coordinates/Location

Difficulty/Terrain

Size

Favorites

Hint

Map (overview)

Map (larger, zoomed-in version)

Additional Details:

Cache Owner

Date Hidden

Distance from Home Location

Corrected Coordinates important, keep it

Quick Link

Print Friendly

Driving Directions

Send to GPS

Disclaimer

Personal Cache Note (PM feature) important, keep it

Photo Gallery

Trackable Inventory

Attributes add other attributes, especially for PWTs

Additional Waypoints

Find… (links to nearby caches, waymarks) never used

Other Map Links

Lists: this is ok

Watch

Bookmark

Ignore

Owner Tools: this is ok (I am an owner)

Edit

Edit Attributes

Waypoints

Upload Images

Archive

Disable

In-house geochecker yes, better than use external ones

"Last Found" summary not important for me, usually I check few last logs

Ability to filter logs by clicking on log type icons nice idea and I think useful

Add event start and end time fields very useful for export to various calendars, in my case to Outlook, now I have to edit time manually in my calendar

Edited by Taddeo

Caching since 2009

Do whatever you want with the "new" pages (including flash for implementing dancing frogs) but give us the possibility to switch back to the old listing format (a checkbox in the profile would be welcome).

My 2¢

P.S.: After you did it you could do it with the new search, too..

I would never suggest that they even try. There are puzzles out there using almost every part of the website. It would be a fool's errand to keep track of them all and notify everyone every time there's the slightest change somewhere on the website.

However, I think it would be fair to assume that the functionality on the cache listing page is what the majority of these puzzles use. As long as members are notified that a function is being changed or removed, then I'd be fine with that. Puzzles based on far-flung parts of the website do so at their own risk.

An example of a fairly recent change that affected puzzles was the Cloudfront image-storage change. When changes were made there that resized images and changed file extensions, a number of puzzles were broken. There was no notification of any kind that this change was being made, either beforehand or after. Changes like this really need to be communicated to the membership. I'm sure there are a bunch of puzzles that are irreparably broken and nobody has noticed yet.

After I'd switched off the laptop and with some reflection I came to what I think is the same conclusion you have:

1. It's unfair and impractical to expect Groundspeak to track what changes to their website might break which puzzles / types of puzzles

2. Cache maintanance - including the puzzle itself - is the responsibility of the CO and they should really be checking periodically that their puzzle still works

But I also have an idea of how Groundspeak could very easily help to remind CO's that their puzzles might need checking...

When there's a significant modification to the site that requires a service outage, Groundspeak emblazons a yellow warning banner on the home page for a few days before this happens - which is very useful :)

But why limit that banner to actual service outages?

Why not have a Message Of The Day (MOTD) link always on the homepage / the same, easily findable, prominent location?

We site users would then have a simple mechanism to check every time we login to the site if there's any new developments that we should be aware of.

Simple? Effective? I think so :)

EDIT: foxed tiepose :unsure:

Edited by Team Microdot

Caching since February 2006.

Not much wrong with the page as is!

To give more space at the top of the page perhaps:

make the smiley a bit smaller and compress the borders of the box, (it would be good to see who was watching the cache)

move the four boxes from under the Download heading to the side of the heading,

move the disclaimer to the bottom of the page,

remove driving directions, we have never used it and mapping information has improved since 2000,

make the personal cache note a box and reduce its size, we have never used it.

Cache size: either make it graphical or descriptive and review the list of cache sizes to include nano.

As its part of how this information get presented it might be more worthwhile reviewing the way the cache page is generated, following the recent changes, and provide a link to a user guide to help with what is expected by reviewers.

Good to get the chance to input this stuff, thanks!

Hello.

My view:

Basic Details:

Title

Cache Type

Description

Coordinates/Location

Difficulty/Terrain

Size

Favorites

Hint

- they are important thinks and I'm satisfied with their display

Map (overview)

Map (larger, zoomed-in version)

- I think, that is enough 1 map with the possibility of zoom

Additional Details:

Cache Owner

Date Hidden

Distance from Home Location

Driving Directions

Attributes

Additional Waypoints

- It's important informations for me.

Print Friendly

Photo Gallery

Trackable Inventory

- Sometimes I use it, it's good for me.

Quick Link - if it is link http://coord.info/GC I use it very often.

Find… (links to nearby caches, waymarks) - I don't use it.

Other Map Links - I don't use, because I use map GeoKuk with GeoGet. It's more more quickly and show me all waypoint with another caches and allow me filter this caches.

Disclaimer - For me it isn't important. I don't look at it

Corrected Coordinates - I don't use it. I use special program (GeoGet) - it's better, allow me store more WP and allow me display WP to map with another caches together.

Personal Cache Note (PM feature)- I don't use it. I use special program (GeoGet)

Send to GPS - I don't use it, I use Geoget to export data to GPS.

Lists:

Watch

Bookmark

Ignore

- It's good for me.

Owner Tools:

Edit

Edit Attributes

Waypoints

Upload Images

Archive

Disable

- It's good for me.

In-house geochecker

"Last Found" summary

- It's interesting ideas. For me I would like on logs one links to view all logs on one page (for looking logs of another geocachers and first logs, it was in history, now I must go to end of page and wait to load a few log and repeat this manytimes)

I caching for year 2006.

Total I prefer page as it is.

Attributes add other attributes, especially for PWTs

Good point. I'd like to see more attributes too. Especially to help sort the Mystery group:

• Power Trail attribute
  • Challenge cache attribute
  • Find a series of caches to retrieve coords for this final cache attribute example
  • Puzzle attribute for mystery caches that require solving a riddle/xword/sudoku/quiz/math problem/cipher/etc
  • Stamp attribute for letterboxes (then put this cache type in the Mystery category)

We have been caching for 10 years. We welcome the opportunity to provide feedback. Primarily, we'd encourage you to do the following:

1 - Don't remove functionality.

2 - Employ human factors engineers in both the layout design and software coding of the site.

3 - If the change you are thinking about making does not add functionality or enhance/improve the end user experience, ask your self why you are making the change.

4 - Take a close look at the user demographics of the feedback you receive; you are a worldwide cross-platform service provider; make sure you are supporting ALL of your users. Changes to this web page should work equally well whether I use them for a desktop or a mobile browser.

5 - When you implement a change, provide a listing of all changes that are implemented by that change, i.e. "we have upgraded the cache listing page, the following list indicates the changes that have been made…." similar to what software upgrades to a Garmin device, as an example, do.

We would also note that it is our view that third party service providers, like GSAK or Project-GC, or geocheckers are filling a gap in functionality that you should be providing. The fact that they exist, and are in some cases more utilized than your own service is should be an indicator to you of how you could be improving your service for your customers.

Our comments below should be construed to incite that the function is useful as is and no change is required unless otherwise noted.

Basic Details:

Title

Cache Type

Description

Coordinates/Location

Difficulty/Terrain

Size -Add a separate category for Nano

Favorites

Hint

Map (overview) - Rarely if ever used, you could lose this

Map (larger, zoomed-in version) - Often use this, but more often by command click and open in a separate tab or page.

Additional Details:

Cache Owner

Date Hidden

Distance from Home Location - Not sure this has any real utility; if we are looking in that area, we are already thinking about going that far...

Corrected Coordinates

Quick Link

Print Friendly - we only use this for earth caches at this point.

Driving Directions - Rarely if ever used, you could lose this never use.

Send to GPS - rarely use, but use the GPX download button all of the time, which you left off of here. Please do not eliminate that.

Disclaimer

Personal Cache Note (PM feature)

Photo Gallery

Trackable Inventory

Attributes

Additional Waypoints

Find… (links to nearby caches, way marks) - could lose Waymarks here, but otherwise we use all of them.

Other Map Links

Lists:

Watch

Bookmark

Ignore

Owner Tools:

Edit

Edit Attributes

Waypoints

Upload Images

Archive - This could go, it just takes me to the log entry page, which i can access already above.

Disable - This could go, it just takes me to the log entry page, which i can access already above.

In-house geochecker - would be useful for those who do puzzle caches.

"Last Found" summary - summary of what? An average of the number of finds that a cancer had when they found it? This might give some idea of experience level required….

Ability to filter logs by clicking on log type icons - marginally useful. I can scroll….

Add event start and end time fields - Definitely useful especially if implemented as others have suggested so that too would populate calendars correctly.

Thanks for asking for input.

Edited by Zekester & Simon
Why not have a Message Of The Day (MOTD) link always on the homepage / the same, easily findable, prominent location?

NO! Please, no, don't do that.

If I wanted to hear from Marketing and the odd language they speak, I'd subscribe to emails and the blog. I do NOT want to hear from Groundspeak Marketing. I already play the game, go away.

I want to clarify that this forum thread is only the initial step in a long journey to a final solution. It is designed to help us make sure we are collecting the most critical elements needed for inclusion in the basic feature under discussion. This information helps us to develop the User Insights games that we build and play with the community (usually at various Mega Events held around the world), which are incredibly useful for gaining deeper insights into how people interact with the feature and how they want and need to use it. The results from those games then directly guide how we move forward with design, User Testing, Play Testing, and Beta Testing. So, please don't worry that we are packing all research on decision making on the feature into this single week; it is just the tip of the iceberg.

Aleady caching for a few years.

Basic Details:

• Title
  • Cache Type
  • Description
  • Coordinates/Location
  • Difficulty/Terrain
  • Size
  • Favorites
  • Hint
  • Map (overview) Not used since the map does not show recognisable placenames, instead using the large map and zooming out.

Additional Details:

• Cache Owner
  • Date Hidden
  • Distance from Home Location Not used since it already is shown on the page where I selected to view this cache
  • Corrected Coordinates Not used since I use my own database
  • Quick Link Not used since it is already in the addressbar of the browser
  • Print Friendly Seldom used because it is not printfriendly enough
  • Driving Directions Never used
  • Send to GPS Never used
  • Disclaimer Hidden by GClittlehelper
  • Personal Cache Note (PM feature) See Corrected coordinates
  • Photo Gallery
  • Trackable Inventory
  • Attributes
  • Additional Waypoints
  • Find… (links to nearby caches, waymarks) Seldom used, Benchmarks never since they are only of use in the US
  • Other Map Links

Lists:

• Watch
  • Bookmark
  • Ignore

Owner Tools:

• Edit
  • Edit Attributes
  • Waypoints
  • Upload Images
  • Archive
  • Disable

• In-house geochecker Would be nice if it is directly linked to the invisible waypoints
  • "Last Found" summary
  • Add event start and end time fields

Please add the option to allow for different language versions of the same page. Each language in a separate tab (with the languagecode as tabname?) inside the page. This reduces a lot of clutter on multilanguage descriptions.

Total number of each type of log would also be nice: 23 found, 10 notfound 3 Maintenance, etc

Corrected Coordinates: It would be nice this feature was available on all cache types. It would be very handy to be able to update the coordinates of a Traditional cache in situations where the initial seekers discover a problem with the posted coordinates and make mention of it in their logs. Sometimes owners are slow to react or, on some really old caches, have left the game.

Something I forgot to add here when composing my original message. It would be most helpful if the corrected coordinates were used consistently across all the methods of obtaining cache data: via PQ, Download GPX button, or the API. It seems some methods yield the corrected coordinates and sometimes the original and it's way too much work for me to remember which is which, especially when I complicate matters by also keeping corrected coordinates inside GSAK.

If corrected coordinates have been entered for a cache, that is the only thing that should ever be returned when obtaining cache data.

I do love these threads! It's interesting to learn how other cachers use some features that I never touch, or how they use them very differently from how I use them. I've learned a lot.

I am caching for 7 yeras.

All the Basic Details are important to me except the Map (overview).

From Additional Details I've never used Driving Directions

and in my opinion there isn't necessary have the Disclaimer on every page.

Lists are important to except Ignore, I've never used this List.

The Owner Tools are all absolutely important.

In-house geochecker - if it will be something similar to unbreakable Evince, why not

"Last Found" summary - not necessary

Ability to filter logs by clicking on log type icons - nice to have but not necessary

Add event start and end time fields - not necessary every one can read the listing

But the most important is the fact that very very much Mystery caches depends on actual functionality and design of listing pages. Please take it into consideration.

Caching since: March 2007.

What functionality do you consider essential from a web and mobile perspective?

• I don't do mobile. I think it's important to remember that the API continues to increase in importance. Many "cache pages" are viewed in GSAK. I realize that providing data to the API is different from designing a web page, but desktop vs mobile may be just as different.

Important Things

• I don't think there are any tremendously important things, but here are the things that jump out to me.

• Combo map: As others have noted, two maps are too much. I most often go to the full-page map, but if the larger map were at the top, where the smaller map is, I'd use it more. I'd also be encouraged to use it by a slider in place of the +/- buttons which I tend to have to click several times.

• Speaking of the full-page map link, having "city, state" as the link text is confusing and looks just plain stupid. The word "map" would take almost no space, and there's lots of white space on that line.

• Some have suggested that the bold "Geocache Description" should be reduced or eliminated. I disagree. There's so much stuff above it that a strong heading is needed. Perhaps a bold horizontal line with a smaller heading would be OK, but it needs to be a strong marker.

• Short description: still seems to be useless after all these years. Some study would be required to determine how many cache pages would be affected if the short description were simply prepended to the long description (with a paragraph break between).

• Lightbox: Already mentioned, allow the images posted with the description to be viewed in rotation, rather than one at a time in their own pages. (Log images were changed to do this a long time ago.) In fact, go further: design a better way for COs to add images to descriptions, without the need to figure out how to host the image and write the description in HTML to display it. I can do that (and have done it), but it requires technical skills which should not be required of cache hiders. And I still cannot just post a bunch of images which display the way log images do.

• Owner tools: As others have pointed out, there's a disconnect between actions directly on the page and actions requiring a log posting. This needs redesign.

Existing Community Requests

• In-house geochecker: would be OK, though I find the external ones quite adequate.

• Last found summary: I'd do this (using minimal space please!), but perhaps change it to "recent search summary", with emphasis on search. After all, if the last ten logs are notes, I don't want those summarized. As others have pointed out, it's important to know if the most recent find was followed by half a dozen DNFs. It's also useful to know if a recent find was preceded by half a dozen DNFs. I don't know whether NMs, NAs, OMs, should be included.

• Ability to filter logs by type: I suppose I'd use this, mainly for looking for the less common log types, but I would not use it much. I would find it much more useful to be able to filter by cacher name or to center on a particular date. This is easy once all the logs are loaded, but the incremental loading of the logs (which is otherwise great) interferes with searching the page.

• Add event start and end time fields: I attend very few events, so this gets a "meh" from me.

Things I use

• Everything on the list not otherwise mentioned herein.

Things I don't use

• None of these get in my way.

• Distance from Home Location: I look at caches in a wide variety of locations, so this isn't meaningful to me.

• Corrected Coordinates: I put these in GSAK.

• Print Friendly: I used this when I was starting out. It uses too much paper. I prefer to set up a compact print using GSAK. I can't imagine any fixed format satisfying more than a small segment of cachers.

• Driving directions: I hike to caches.

• Send to GPS: Use GSAK.

• Disclaimer: Ah, let everyone go out and kill themselves!

• Find links, other map links: I just browse the map, and I find the Google-based maps to be fine.

Edward

NO! Please, no, don't do that.

If I wanted to hear from Marketing and the odd language they speak, I'd subscribe to emails and the blog. I do NOT want to hear from Groundspeak Marketing. I already play the game, go away.

I guess you completely misunderstood what I wrote given that it had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with marketing and EVERYTHING to do with technical updates from Groundspeak about the state of and any upcoming changes to the services and the site.

Please NO! This friggin location based stuff on my desk top puts me 200 miles from home. I have yet found a way of turning it off so I can set home on the browser. If you do this, make sure you use the home coordinates I set on my profile, not the lie my browser tells.
But if you really are 200 miles from home, do you still want the distance from home listed?

When I'm 200 miles from home, I'd rather see how far caches are from my current location. It doesn't help to see that this cache is 199.7 miles from home and that cache is 200.1 miles from home.

We've been caching since 07.

Couple of things:

For the most part the page is just fine as it is. A few tweaks to make owner tools easier to use would be helpful. I find it simple, useful, and the features I don't use don't get in my way.

But really, it's not broken, so why fix it? And please, please, don't change it so completely that it becomes unusable, like the new search. :(

Also, why aren't these sorts of topics given a mention on the main website? And why is there such a short comment period? I was caught completely unaware with the new search and if I had had any idea of how badly that was going to get jacked up, I would for sure have commented on it! I only happened to see this page because I'm following the discussion about new search and hoping for a miracle.

I am fairly new to Geocaching and I have been doing it since Oct 2014.

I first off want to say I love the cache page details and that you guys have done an outstanding job and my suggestions are minimal.

Features I never use: The current maps on the cache page. Get Directions.

Features I love the most (leaving out the most obvious ones like cache details, d/t, size, etc): Distance away from home. Ignore. The links (find caches by the user, find nearby caches of same type, that I have not found, etc).

My Minor Suggestions:

1) I would love the ability to filter certain log types (did not finds, finds, maintenance, etc).

2) I would like for a quick search to determine if a certain user has found a cache or not. See on the cache pages with caches with hundreds of logs all the logs do not load up (rightly so) however in doing so, you can't just do a search on the page unless you scroll down, wait for the load, scroll down again, etc.

2a) Or try this? A little indication that says something like this: "Be the first one of your friends to find this cache" (if none of your friends found the cache) or "# of your friends have found this cache" (and when you click on the link it allows you to see which of your friends found it and which ones have not). Or something like that, you get the idea....

3) I would get rid of one of the maps.

4) I will echo what others have said: It would be nice to know if you favorited a cache without having to click on it.

5) I have seen several people comment on changing or removing the distance from home feature, please keep this feature "as-is". Although why not just add a "from current location" under the distance from home location? Or if anything allow each user to select this as an option to either display from home location, from current, or both?

6) I know this is NOT the correct place to discuss this and I know this was asked of the community for comment what gets added to the GPX files, however when comments for those went out I was too new to know any better. So..... I would REALLY like the ability to have an option to ADD the attributes to the description, that way I can see the attributes on my GPS unit. I understand you can use third party sites to do this but I think its just an extra step in the process, if Geocaching.com allowed this feature it would save some time and save me from learning another site that I really don't care about :)

7) I have seen a few comments about being able to remove ghost trackables (trackables not in a cache). The CO can remove trackables that are not inside the cache however this function should ONLY be a CO function. I have seen comments by random cachers saying a TB was not in a cache. Later I get to a cache and the TB was just on the bottom or something like that. HOWEVER: I would love to have a REPORT link near the trackable that would e-mail the CO to look into a cache to ensure a TB was inside of it and remove it from the cache list if found missing.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by MersonMonkeys

Hi

I've been caching for a bit less than 2 years.

A lot has been said already, I'll just add one thing:

I don't understand why the cache page needs two maps. If we want to see an overall area map, or a detailed map, can we not just zoom in or out?

Having two just makes the page load slower. I'd rather just have one slightly larger map.

Thanks.

Edited by Pan314159

But if you really are 200 miles from home, do you still want the distance from home listed?

When I'm 200 miles from home, I'd rather see how far caches are from my current location. It doesn't help to see that this cache is 199.7 miles from home and that cache is 200.1 miles from home.

Yes, If I'm 1000 miles from home I want the cache page to tell me that. I love knowing how far from home the cache I've found is. It's one of my favourite things when looking at cache pages.

"Distance from current location" is a good idea. Obviously on the mobile apps it tells you that anyway when you navigate to the cache, but having it on the cache page too might be nice.

I'm just saying why can't we have both distances. Add the current location one without removing the home one?

I've been caching for about 3 years.

I use both the mobile app on a droid phone and a Garmin GPS (eTrex20).

On the mobile app I use the driving guidance a lot.

With the Garmin I sometimes locate the cache on the mobile and then plug the coordinates in by hand to the GPS in order to save cell phone battery and because the gps is more accurate and gets a better signal under cover. If I am having problems I will us both at the same time.

I don't see the improvement in the new search listings. I prefer the smaller graphics with more per page. I also was never able to get the site to batch download and so end up downloading my cache from the site to the GPS one at time. As a result I am fairly peeved to see the icon on the search page disappear. For me you have taken cumbersome process and made it more so.

I use the map on the site a lot to help plan trips, especially when I am going on vacation and want to plan what caches are near the places I already plan to be.

I have been Geocaching for about 3 years. I try very hard to not use the hints, but they are very helpful and definately need them to stay. i wish more people would use them. Have been getting alot of DNF lately, and wish there was some type of hints - it would probably help a cache owner know if it was a true DNF or just an oversight.

Is there a better way to see if TB's are really in a cache? I am getting alot of "Discovered" and the bug has been taken and not logged correctly. Can that be reworded to "Saw and left behind" kind of option?

Thank you!