Grayed out options in search engine

Abernathy918

It has come to my attention through talking to friends that certain options such as search by name are no longer available to people that are not paid members. I started caching during an economic downturn and found it a good way to get out of the house and keep a shred of sanity during hard times. There are many people on this site that for some reason or another can not afford the premium membership but still enjoy playing the game. Taking away basic options on the site unless you pay for them does not encourage new people to join and does not give the game a good name. If there are no or fewer new members then there will be fewer and fewer people hiding caches, buying coins travel bugs t-shirts ETC. I have noticed a bit of an elitist view in places and this turns a lot of people off of the game. Embracing this by taking away site functionality unless you pay for it is very bad for business in my opinion and needs to be fixed ASAP. Maybe give paid members a certain discount at the store or add a subscription to a magazine or a special pathtag or coin when you renew your membership each year... taking away ability to find caches isn't the way to encourage people to sign up and pay you. It just hacks them off and they tell their friends and their friends tell their friends and our game goes away. Capice?

It has come to my attention through talking to friends that certain options such as search by name are no longer available to people that are not paid members. I started caching during an economic downturn and found it a good way to get out of the house and keep a shred of sanity during hard times. There are many people on this site that for some reason or another can not afford the premium membership but still enjoy playing the game. Taking away basic options on the site unless you pay for them does not encourage new people to join and does not give the game a good name. If there are no or fewer new members then there will be fewer and fewer people hiding caches, buying coins travel bugs t-shirts ETC. I have noticed a bit of an elitist view in places and this turns a lot of people off of the game. Embracing this by taking away site functionality unless you pay for it is very bad for business in my opinion and needs to be fixed ASAP. Maybe give paid members a certain discount at the store or add a subscription to a magazine or a special pathtag or coin when you renew your membership each year... taking away ability to find caches isn't the way to encourage people to sign up and pay you. It just hacks them off and they tell their friends and their friends tell their friends and our game goes away. Capice?

You make some strong points here.

I've introduced several people to the game in Texas, California, and Arizona, and I doubt I would have done that if I weren't able to find as wide of a variety of caches as I used to be able to find...used to, but not anymore.

I have encountered people who aren't maintaining their caches, but refuse to let them go because they think that if you're not a premium member, you shouldn't be able to hide a cache in a beautiful location. They aren't even using Geocaching.com anymore, in favor of Garmin's Opencaching.com website (which I've started looking into this morning). These Elitists are using this website only to prevent people from hiding new caches. As you stated above, if people aren't able to hide (or find) new and more interesting caches, the game will eventually go away.

I like the Geocoin/pathtag idea for new or renewing Premium members. There could even be different ones for each time someone renews their paid membership. Discounts in the store would probably encourage more people to sign up for a paid membership as well. Some websites offer similar products at a lower price than the geocaching.com store, and if people look for a better deal, it's not hard to find one. Offering a discount for paid members might prevent us from looking elsewhere.

As you said, taking functionality away from the players that aren't in an economic position to pay to play this game is bad for business.

A differing point-of-view... (just like a coin, an argument [discussion] has two sides.)

(Most) EVERYBODY is griping about the new search feature. I dunno that those changes affect regular members more (or less) than they do Premium Members.

Just what are the greyed-out options? I apologize for being a PM and not being able to see which options are greyed.

FWIW, Groundspeak, Inc. is a corporation and owns geocaching.com, a for-profit business and not a charitable organization.

Do note -- I am not an employee, representative or volunteer for Groundspeak or geocaching.com. I'm just a geocacher, and not an overly-active one, at that. I geocache at my speed and leisure.

BTW, I would quit in a heartbeat if I were given discounts at the store, or a magazine subscription (I'll add: GMAB), or even a geocoin just to be a Premium Member.

I really rather doubt that GS would distribute any xxxxtags, seeings as how they (xxxxtags) are viewed as competitors, and also a for-profit business. I would have thought you probably would've checked that out before suggesting such.

You can, if you want, call me elitist... I don't think I am, but then too, I don't really care 'cuz I'm lookin' at the other side of that coin.

Just what are the greyed-out options? I apologize for being a PM and not being able to see which options are greyed.

you MUST specify a location in the first box, therefore you're restricted to searching within 30 miles of the specified location. The only filters available are the boxes to select cache types (event/multi/trad/etc...) all other selection features are greyed out and if you try and click one you get a popup with a link to becoming a PM - it's a pretty hard sell!!!!

If they are not paying then they are not contributing to the business that is Groundspeak.

Yes they are, because they're an audience for the advertising, if all the non premium members left the revenue from advertising would plummet. Sme of them also buy GS products, TBs, hats, etc.

- And place caches that the site needs to continue/grow.

If they are not paying then they are not contributing to the business that is Groundspeak.

Yes they are, because they're an audience for the advertising, if all the non premium members left the revenue from advertising would plummet. Sme of them also buy GS products, TBs, hats, etc.

- And place caches that the site needs to continue/grow.

We also help you to know that your caches are still in play, and whether they need maintenance.

...you get a popup with a link to becoming a PM - it's a pretty hard sell!!!!

Thank you! A link to a PM subscription window, as opposed to a note stating such was a Premium selection?

Like being slapped because you hit a wrong selection, eh?

<walks away, shaking head>

Do note -- I am not an employee, representative or volunteer for Groundspeak or geocaching.com. I'm just a geocacher, and not an overly-active one, at that. I geocache at my speed and leisure.

I really rather doubt that GS would distribute any xxxxtags, seeings as how they (xxxxtags) are viewed as competitors, and also a for-profit business. I would have thought you probably would've checked that out before suggesting such.

Groundspeak doesn't make or sell anything like pathtags, and there's no comparable product in the store (and no, geocoins don't count). If they were truly competitors, this would not be the case there would be pathtag-like items in the store. If you want to see what a competitor to geocaching.com really looks like, take a look at Opencaching.com and see what's there. Even that site isn't an absolute competitor since their primary business is selling GPS devices under the brand name "Garmin". Groundspeak doesn't make or sell their own brand of GPS devices. Furthermore, I've met quite a few geocachers who have designed and purchased personalized tags and used them as trade items at geocaching events, or placed them in cache containers as trade items. It's an opportunity for a partnership that would provide a win/win situation for both companies.

Next question:

Is there a way to convince the website admin to restore the functionality that was removed in the last update? A brief look through the threads created in the last week should be sufficient to point out that more than a handful of participants in the community are upset about the loss of functionality. It's not a "learning curve" type of situation. We're told to do a Google search to find what we're looking for, or to use bookmark lists that may not even exist for any given series.

If the answer to "How do I find this?" is "try Google," something needs to be fixed with the search engine.

you MUST specify a location in the first box, therefore you're restricted to searching within 30 miles of the specified location. The only filters available are the boxes to select cache types (event/multi/trad/etc...) all other selection features are greyed out and if you try and click one you get a popup with a link to becoming a PM - it's a pretty hard sell!!!!

Your MUST is incorrect just leave it blank and put the state etc in on the filters. And please be careful about giving out info with such emphasis that is ibcorrect

Geocaching.com is a for-profit business, as has been mentioned. They are not even obligated to give anyone a free membership, but they do.

When I started geocaching I was in tough economic times. Things were really bad there for a while, but I did manage to get a membership fee together. It wasn't easy, but it's all a matter of priorities.

Do you have cable TV? I didn't. I didn't have any TV. You can easily pay for a geocaching membership off of what you pay for half a month of TV. I never went to movies, EVER. I never bought food at a restaurant, EVER. I never bought a cup of coffee out even. I couldn't afford those things and more, but I managed to come up with $30 bucks a year.

It's all a matter of prioritizing what one feels is really important. Geocaching has really helped me get through some pretty rough times, so it's a priority to me.

If it's not to you, that's okay. But just know it's a choice.

Geocaching.com is a for-profit business, as has been mentioned. They are not even obligated to give anyone a free membership, but they do.

When I started geocaching I was in tough economic times. Things were really bad there for a while, but I did manage to get a membership fee together. It wasn't easy, but it's all a matter of priorities.

Do you have cable TV? I didn't. I didn't have any TV. You can easily pay for a geocaching membership off of what you pay for half a month of TV. I never went to movies, EVER. I never bought food at a restaurant, EVER. I never bought a cup of coffee out even. I couldn't afford those things and more, but I managed to come up with $30 bucks a year.

It's all a matter of prioritizing what one feels is really important. Geocaching has really helped me get through some pretty rough times, so it's a priority to me.

It has helped me get through some very hard times as well. And I am still going through them. I don't have cable and I don't eat out in restaurants either. I as a general rule I have also been staying away from coffee houses most of the time (I am a coffee addict). Geocaching is my only hobby right now, But when I started caching and was not a payed member and I realize that Geocaching is a for profit company and they don't have to allow non payed members. To get back to the point I was trying to make to get payed members it is my opinion that you need to broaden the playing field to let the new people experience the game so they can determine weather or not it is a priority for them to pay for a membership. The search engine does not let non payed members even search for caches by name right now. When I started I didn't know what a GC Code was. When I started all I heard was you need to go find this cache it is called this. or that. In some places there may only be a hand full of caches in a 30 mile radius around home location. The old search let people experience the game so they could make a decision to take it to the next level. That is why I made the post. I am glad Geocaching is a priority for you it is for me as well. The subscription, the once a year discount like REI does or the coin and or tag like the TXGA does when you renew your membership were ideas to help encourage people to join. One more thing on top of pocket queries and being able to see and find PMO caches and all of that. From what I have been seeing even payed members are having problems with the new search,but that is a different post.

...you get a popup with a link to becoming a PM - it's a pretty hard sell!!!!

Thank you! A link to a PM subscription window, as opposed to a note stating such was a Premium selection?

Like being slapped because you hit a wrong selection, eh?

<walks away, shaking head>

Well to be %100 accurate it's a pop up box which says that the selection filter is a Premium function and then there's the link. There's also a permanent link to upgrade on the page somewhere.

Your MUST is incorrect just leave it blank and put the state etc in on the filters. And please be careful about giving out info with such emphasis that is ibcorrect

No the MUST is correct, as I explained ALL the filters appart from cache type are diasbled for basic members, so there's no way to add the state filter, therefore there's no way for the search to know where to perform the search unless you specify the location in the first box, and therefore leaving it blank results in a DNF. The question was about the search for NON premium members, and the information I provided is correct.

I remember someone once making a comment along the lines of "please be careful about giving out info with such emphasis that is incorrect" - wise words ;-)