Aftermath of Cape fires

Carbon Hunter

Just wanting to find out from the W Cape cachers what happens after a series of fires like we just had in March 2015?

You guys have had these before - but how do caches stand up to the heat - and what about restricted access after fires into the sensitive areas? Would be interested to hear about your experiences down there.

Just wanting to find out from the W Cape cachers what happens after a series of fires like we just had in March 2015?

You guys have had these before - but how do caches stand up to the heat - and what about restricted access after fires into the sensitive areas? Would be interested to hear about your experiences down there.

I generally hide my caches in a rocky area as to minimize probability of it being destroyed by the fire. Even so, the heat might still partially damage the container, but hopefully not the contents. Having said that, I've been fortunate until now that my caches where hidden in areas not affected by fires. I've disabled one cache which is in an area affected by the fires, until I can do a maintenance check, and assessed the risk to the environment and geocachers alike. Not that I can imagine anyone would want to hike there now in any case!

Like Battlerat I also choose rocky areas, Unfortunately both Silvermine Reserves are closed until further notice so will have to wait to see if my two in West have survives. Also have one high above the Tokai area and this is also closed!

I had one survive one of the Hermanus fires a while ago with only the box being singed - so am hopeful.

Jonkershoek is open, but only in certain areas. I will maybe go check the area out in the next week or two, and while I'm there see how some of the caches are doing. For my caches that are on long hikes or high up on the mountains, I will wait and see if anyone posts a "Needs Maintenance" before going up and replacing.