What is the value of old timers in caching?

Began playing in 2002, and still enjoy it immensely to this day. I think the old timers simply have a little bit of knowledge from the beginning basics that the newbies don't have, or may not even pickup playing today. I do know one thing-we used to hide, and find, real sized metal ammo cans, and real decon containers. How many newbies can say that?

As a (somewhat) old-timer, I have the experience to say that ammo cans used to cost around $8 when I began. Now you're lucky to find them at all, but if you do, you will be paying at least $20. :rolleyes:

Nah. You just need to find the right surplus store that has tons of cans they're not moving. Someplace near an active or reserve post. I bet they are cheap near Fort Snelling in the summer, when all of the guard and reserve troops are doing ranges during their annual training.

Began playing in 2002, and still enjoy it immensely to this day. I think the old timers simply have a little bit of knowledge from the beginning basics that the newbies don't have, or may not even pickup playing today. I do know one thing-we used to hide, and find, real sized metal ammo cans, and real decon containers. How many newbies can say that?

As a (somewhat) old-timer, I have the experience to say that ammo cans used to cost around $8 when I began. Now you're lucky to find them at all, but if you do, you will be paying at least $20. :rolleyes:

Nah. You just need to find the right surplus store that has tons of cans they're not moving. Someplace near an active or reserve post. I bet they are cheap near Fort Snelling in the summer, when all of the guard and reserve troops are doing ranges during their annual training.

I know of a cacher that has made two trips to New Orleans for palette loads of ammo cans. And he's sold every one. 'Nuf said?

I know of a cacher that has made two trips to New Orleans for palette loads of ammo cans. And he's sold every one. 'Nuf said?

Funny... it just occurred to me to try the local Craigslist for ammo cans. I immediately saw two listings, one with cans for $12, and another for $10. I'm thinking "Cool! I wonder if anybody else knows about these?" when I noticed the seller's location.

Hi, Bart! :lol:

Began playing in 2002... I do know one thing-we used to hide, and find, real sized metal ammo cans, and real decon containers. How many newbies can say that?

The old timers know to snap down those decon lids tight.

Found one a couple of weeks ago. It was a nostalgic moment. They are quite a rare sighting these days.

Ammo cans are getting rare in Ontario. Back in 2002 you could pick one up at the surplus store, in good shape, for about $5. Now if you can find one, it's usually dented and the small ones cost $20Cdn.

Most old timers have seen the gamut of containers and should know what's leaky and what's not. (Although some will still choose cheap containers, despite knowing better. dry.gif)

Newbies usually have to learn that lesson and often choose poor quality containers for their first hide(s).

Addendum: I should have read further, I see that many, even in the U.S. have the problem with finding ammo cans. Interesting that they are about the same price there....$20.

Edited by L0ne.R

Older than dirt here, I remember caching with a sextant, compass and slide rule. Well, almost, it was a little yellow eTrex. I had a fifty mile radius cleared around my house, all six caches! I have no idea how many folks I got interested in caching, but it is quite a few. My biggest benefit is watching others get out of their house and having fun outside! If you look at my stats, the first few years I had few finds as I was living at 7,300 feet elevation up in the Rockies. Nearest cache searches were 60 or 70 miles away! But those finds were awesome! Deep in the forests, high, over 13,000 feet, up in the mountains! I don't know how to gauge my value other than some good stories from way back when. My mother was an ardent cacher and I had the pleasure of taking her out three days before she passed. I had to bring the cache to her in the car but the smile on her face when she signed the log was priceless! My only advice is to have fun! When it stops being fun, stop doing it.

Older than dirt here, I remember caching with a sextant, compass and slide rule. Well, almost, it was a little yellow eTrex. I had a fifty mile radius cleared around my house, all six caches! I have no idea how many folks I got interested in caching, but it is quite a few. My biggest benefit is watching others get out of their house and having fun outside! If you look at my stats, the first few years I had few finds as I was living at 7,300 feet elevation up in the Rockies. Nearest cache searches were 60 or 70 miles away! But those finds were awesome! Deep in the forests, high, over 13,000 feet, up in the mountains! I don't know how to gauge my value other than some good stories from way back when. My mother was an ardent cacher and I had the pleasure of taking her out three days before she passed. I had to bring the cache to her in the car but the smile on her face when she signed the log was priceless! My only advice is to have fun! When it stops being fun, stop doing it.

My first GPS was the Magellan 310 and I was happy if it got you within 100 feet of the geocache. I wish they would bring back virtual and locationless caches.

Addendum: I should have read further, I see that many, even in the U.S. have the problem with finding ammo cans. Interesting that they are about the same price there....$20.

Considering that Americans are the ones emptying most of them,I think they should be cheaper here. :mad:

:D

I've been caching long enough to remember when Cheaperthandirt sold a "6 pack" of ammo cans for $19. Came to under $30 with shipping.

Considering that Americans are the ones emptying most of them,I think they should be cheaper here. :mad:

:D

I've been caching long enough to remember when Cheaperthandirt sold a "6 pack" of ammo cans for $19. Came to under $30 with shipping.

Cheaperthandirt, meet Olderthandirt. :P

I started caching in 2003 and consider myself a veteran. I may be old so maybe I should call myself an old-timer, but there are many cachers in my area that have been caching for more years than I have and have many more finds than I do. To some of them I am still a newbie even though I have over twenty thousand finds. So it is all relative; somebody that has been caching more than you is an old-timer, and somebody that has been caching less than you is a newbie.

To the original question: do I feel valued in the geocaching community? Sometimes. Do I worry about that? No. Sometimes I get on the forums and give my opinion on some subject under discussion. Some people may agree with me and some may disagree with me. That's ok. Some people like certain types of caches and others dislike those very same caches. That's ok.

I think that some people forget that geocaching is a game owned by Jerermy & Co. They own the game, they set the rules, they can change the rules. Some of the changes they have made over the years I see as an improvement. Some of the changes I am not so sure that they will attract more people and money with those changes. But it is their game and their livelihood, so they can try what they think is best.

Will I continue to play the game? Probably. When there are too many rules and there is only one way to play the game, then the game will get boring, and then I will look for some other game to play.

In the meantime, Happy Caching!

I think that some people forget that geocaching is a game owned by Jerermy & Co. They own the game, they set the rules, they can change the rules. Some of the changes they have made over the years I see as an improvement. Some of the changes I am not so sure that they will attract more people and money with those changes. But it is their game and their livelihood, so they can try what they think is best.

Actually, that's not entirely true. Geocaching is a game of the people, for the people, and by the people. Yet, because Groundspeak owns the listing service, they get to attempt to make the rules. Ultimately, though, it is the public that decides if those rules are right for them, or not. We get a vote, too. Don't give it up that easily.

Actually, that's not entirely true. Geocaching is a game of the people, for the people, and by the people. Yet, because Groundspeak owns the listing service, they get to attempt to make the rules. Ultimately, though, it is the public that decides if those rules are right for them, or not. We get a vote, too. Don't give it up that easily.

Yes. Groundspeak owns geocaching.com but geocaching in and of itself is free to all. If I so desired, I could set up my own geocaching website and govern it any way I saw fit. I could go out and place 20 geocaches in a 5 acre park or lug some containers into National Parks and hide them there. Those caches wouldn't get published on this site but I could pass out the coordinates to friends or post them on a Facebook page and invite anyone to go find what I hid. That's basically how this game got started.

Now, I wouldn't do those things because I agree with most everything Groundspeak has stipulated as far as geocaching goes and the agree with their reasoning behind those guidelines. But, just because they are the 800 lb gorilla in this sport doesn't mean I couldn't do those things.