197 Creative Geocache Hides?

Does anyone else find those who despise social media to be like that old stereotypical Vegan?

I don't see why it's necessary to say disparaging things about people for using the internet differently. Not every site is for every person. Lots of people aren't into forums. Some people don't like videos. Some people let the email newsletters go to their spam folders.

There are a handful of people who get really upset when a particular communication isn't aimed directly at them. It's not really a matter of platform.

Look I've got no problem with what people do or don't want to do on the net. It just seems to me (consistently through several communities I frequent) that some have a need to tell us exactly how social media is the direct line to satan instead of, you know, ignoring a service that you don't use.

I agree, not every site is for every person and if a site is not for you then accept that and move on with life.

Anything on pinterest is freely available on the internet, you don't have to be signed up,

Really? I could not look at the photos of these 197 caches.

Really. Pinterest is simply a huge bookmark list, anything you click on takes you outside the service to where the original user found that page on the internet. A simple google search would give the same results, with added crud of course.

Really. Pinterest is simply a huge bookmark list, anything you click on takes you outside the service to where the original user found that page on the internet. A simple google search would give the same results, with added crud of course.

Not really.

Until I registered, I could see some of the pictures but most were obstructed by a "There's More" banner, and if I clicked on that, I got a "Login/Register script that I couldn't get past.

It's OK now, but I really resented having to register on another site just to follow an email I got from Groundspeak.

I would have gladly ignored pinterest and just looked at the caches, if I could have! Being forced to register and log in to a service I didn't want just rubbed me wrong.

I wouldn't know :unsure:

I can't register. I go all the way through and get to the "come on in" button and nothing happens!

Too bad these pictures weren't posted somewhere where one could just look at them without having to join a site!

I guess GS must get some sort of revenue from people being directed there.

Pinterest is a place for sharing links. All of the pictures are from other sites. Pinterest is just a useful tool for putting them in one spot where you can see all the pictures at once. Nothing is stopping you from also combing the internet for the very same pictures of cool hides.

How is he supposed to comb the internet for pictures of caches that he can't see?

The point is that they (Groundspeak) directed us to a site that requires a membership to even view.

The newsletter also stated that Every week, the blog features one of these geocaches as Geocache of the Week." (as well as, "What's the best #OMGeocache you've ever found? Post it on our Facebook page."

So, we need a Facebook account, a Pinterest account, and we need to keep an eye on the blog.

Edited by knowschad

Okay, nice email from geocaching.com announcing 197 Creative Geocache Hides and neat stuff... go to the site and HEY! Pushing cachers into joining Pinterest. Give kudos to your favorite... HEY, getting pushed to join the blabber on Facebook. Geeze, somehow walking around with your nose in your phone keeping up with Facebook or other social media just doesn't seem to fit with someone who likes going exploring and enjoying the sights around them. Maybe just me but I'd bet there's a lot of cachers who avoid social media like the plague. And we can't get to those 197 Creative Geocache Hides, either. <_<

I actually don't like looking at the creative caches on Pinterest site. Why? My OCD. I don't know how many guideline violations I have noticed. So no, I will not even look at that section anymore.

Not really.

Until I registered, I could see some of the pictures but most were obstructed by a "There's More" banner, and if I clicked on that, I got a "Login/Register script that I couldn't get past.

It's OK now, but I really resented having to register on another site just to follow an email I got from Groundspeak.

I would have gladly ignored pinterest and just looked at the caches, if I could have! Being forced to register and log in to a service I didn't want just rubbed me wrong.

Yes really, it's just a big mob of links, click one and it takes you to an external website.

And if you resented doing all that then why not just say, "Thanks, but no thanks", delete the email and get on with your day.

For those who really cannot bear signing up for a service to see something that interests them then follow this link which circumvents any sign in procedures...

http://bit.ly/1Fzieh7

Edited by Tassie_Boy

For those who really cannot bear signing up for a service to see something that interests them then follow this link which circumvents any sign in procedures...

That TinyURL link takes you to the snarky "Let Me Google That For You" site where the poster does a search "for you" for "Cool geocaches" That site was funny the first time I saw it... back in 2009. Today, it is the ultimate in snark.

We know that we can search for cool geocaches, Tassy_Boy. We can also peruse the Cool Cache Containers thread in this forum. But neither shows us the caches that Groundspeak wanted to show us.

I actually don't like looking at the creative caches on Pinterest site. Why? My OCD. I don't know how many guideline violations I have noticed. So no, I will not even look at that section anymore.

I agree.

After forum examples with cache-of-the-month and receiving hate mail from a comment in cool cache containers, I pretty-much just don't look anymore either.

This one's a bit different.

I wouldn't join (yet another) site after being directed by this one anyway.

I've looked (via links) to their facebook page without joining facebook...

Not really.

Yes really, it's just a big mob of links, click one and it takes you to an external website.

And if you resented doing all that then why not just say, "Thanks, but no thanks", delete the email and get on with your day.

Whatever .....

For you to deliberately ignore the point I have been making tells me you never will, and it will be pointless to discuss it further.

Have it your way.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

Posting links to Google solves nothing.

I'm sure everyone here knows how to Google something. You missed the point.

I don't understand why it couldn't have been a blog post or even a forum topic for everyone to discuss.

Posting outside links(especially to social media sites) in an e-mail is usually just seen as a money grab anyways.

Posting links to Google solves nothing.

I'm sure everyone here knows how to Google something. You missed the point.

I don't understand why it couldn't have been a blog post or even a forum topic for everyone to discuss.

Posting outside links(especially to social media sites) in an e-mail is usually just seen as a money grab anyways.

Well, in defense of Groundspeak, the Pinterest site they linked to in the newsletter was not, of course, set up by Groundspeak. It is a typical Pinterest collection posted by geocachers around the world. Perhaps it never even occurred to the mostly genX people at HQ that some of us may not already have a Pinterest account. I think they naturally assume that everybody has accounts on all the hip social media sites.

I held off from pinterest for a long time. So confusing. But I finally caved a few months ago because we're doing some remodeling and my husband wanted me to search for pictures to use as ideas. I finally buckled down. I really disliked it at first (although they recently made some changes that fix a couple of my major issues with it), now I mildly tolerate it. :laughing:

I've been told several times that I should get an instragram account to post my geocaching pictures, and I haven't even looked at the site. I've been unhappy enough to live in the facebook world, I don't want to add another site. Where does it end, I ask you? :blink::unsure::o

Where does it end, I ask you? :blink::unsure::o

Kind of like most fads (pants on the ground, etc), we will probably hate the next trend even more.

For the record, I DO have a Pinterest account. Don't use it much, but at least I was able to look at those pics.

Somebody above said it right... Pinterest is really just a glorified public bookmark list of websites that people find interesting. Not much different from your browser's Favorites/Bookmarks, except for the "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" aspect.

Well said knows chad. I am a millennial and I don't understand pinterist at all. Luckily I had my wife's account to look at the pictures. And I have basically given up on the ad machine that is facebook.

Here are some stats from Mashable.

Pinterest generally attracts women. 68% of the audience are women.

Use to be you could surf pinterest without logging in. Now they've got that annoying teaser screen where you are forced to login to continue. I have an account and find it irksome. I don't mind logging in if I think I might pin something, but not if I'm just surfing the images.

And I already got some spam emails from pinterest, trying to suggest pictures I might like to look at.

Honestly! I'm perfectly able to decide and search for the pics I want to see using google images ... no sign up, or log in, and no spam!

I unsubscribed immediately.

I guess at least now, when I get the GS news letters, I'll be good to go for the next pinterest board they want me to see.

Well said knows chad. I am a millennial and I don't understand pinterist at all. Luckily I had my wife's account to look at the pictures. And I have basically given up on the ad machine that is facebook.

Here are some stats from Mashable.

Pinterest generally attracts women. 68% of the audience are women.

Use to be you could surf pinterest without logging in. Now they've got that annoying teaser screen where you are forced to login to continue. I have an account and find it irksome. I don't mind logging in if I think I might pin something, but not if I'm just surfing the images.

Aha! I *thought* that I used to be able to browse it without the nag screen!! I was right, apparently. Guys don't know what they're missing. Lots of guy stuff on there. Of course, they are all just links to stuff that you could find yourself through Google, but they are vetted through other people with similar interests. Check out the woodworking groups there.

And I already got some spam emails from pinterest, trying to suggest pictures I might like to look at.

Honestly! I'm perfectly able to decide and search for the pics I want to see using google images ... no sign up, or log in, and no spam!

I guess at least now, when I get the GS news letters, I'll be good to go for the next pinterest board they want me to see.

You can opt out of those emails.

You can opt out of those emails.

That's the thing about ALL of those services, they all have options to tune emails to certain levels, of all together if that's what you want but they do learn what you like to look at and the emails get more relevant to you as you use the service more.

I haven't unsubscribed yet and probably wouldn't have subscribed if I wasn't able to do so using credential from another social media site.

I've been using various discussion forums (which someone here equated to a social media site) since the early 1980s and as someone that makes a living working on a computer all day I'm not social media averse. However, that doesn't mean that I want to join every social media fad there is. I have a FB account but limit my participation to a few closed groups on a very casual basis. I use twitter fairly often, but again for a couple of specific uses (for one, it's a really good tool for following the local sports teams). I also have a linked in account, only because it feels a little more professional that most social media sites.

When I subscribed to Pinterest to see those pictures I knew probably be getting some spam from them but so far it hasn't been completely overwhelming. I even got a message that a colleague and friend from Rome that I'll be having a conference call with tomorrow had joined the day after I did (he's not a geocacher).

As I see it, a lot of the social media sites these days are being used as marketing tools, and requesting "Likes" on FB is just a tool get an email or user account that can be added to a list for commercial solicitation.

I held off from pinterest for a long time. So confusing. But I finally caved a few months ago because we're doing some remodeling and my husband wanted me to search for pictures to use as ideas. I finally buckled down. I really disliked it at first (although they recently made some changes that fix a couple of my major issues with it), now I mildly tolerate it. :laughing:

I've been told several times that I should get an instragram account to post my geocaching pictures, and I haven't even looked at the site. I've been unhappy enough to live in the facebook world, I don't want to add another site. Where does it end, I ask you? :blink::unsure::o

I have facebook for my friends and family, a few geocaching sites for local activities and my own facebook page for Birding in my area. But I don't get sucked into it deeply like I use to. And a few of my friends phones keep going off for Twitter. I don't Tweet and only a few geocaching Instagrams. Pinterest I was talked into by my sisters. They do it for recipes. I just do ones related to personal stuff and not what my friends or family do.

But these forums can be a little addicting. I keep wondering how some of these cachers have time to cache and be on here so much.

Edited by jellis