197 Creative Geocache Hides?

Okay, nice email from geocaching.com announcing 197 Creative Geocache Hides and neat stuff... go to the site and HEY! Pushing cachers into joining Pinterest. Give kudos to your favorite... HEY, getting pushed to join the blabber on Facebook. Geeze, somehow walking around with your nose in your phone keeping up with Facebook or other social media just doesn't seem to fit with someone who likes going exploring and enjoying the sights around them. Maybe just me but I'd bet there's a lot of cachers who avoid social media like the plague. And we can't get to those 197 Creative Geocache Hides, either. <_<

Okay, nice email from geocaching.com announcing 197 Creative Geocache Hides and neat stuff... go to the site and HEY! Pushing cachers into joining Pinterest. Give kudos to your favorite... HEY, getting pushed to join the blabber on Facebook. Geeze, somehow walking around with your nose in your phone keeping up with Facebook or other social media just doesn't seem to fit with someone who likes going exploring and enjoying the sights around them. Maybe just me but I'd bet there's a lot of cachers who avoid social media like the plague. And we can't get to those 197 Creative Geocache Hides, either. dry.gif

If you look at the videos and other promotional material that Groundspeak has produced, you'll see that they seem to see us as a bunch of 30-40 year old metro-sexuals. And that is probably because that is what (according to pictures I've seen) what most of Groundspeak themselves are. That is not even close to what I see when I attend events or run into cachers in the field... mostly a bunch of gray or balding, often overweight retirees or soon to be's. Of course, that may just be my neck of the woods.

Edited by knowschad

Geocaching in our area has always been dominated by older people. But things have been changing recently. The pi day event that I just went to was at least half or more young people. A lot of them were younger than me. Felt weird. Have to get used to this. :laughing:

Could that be because YOU are now older? :P

Geocaching in our area has always been dominated by older people. But things have been changing recently. The pi day event that I just went to was at least half or more young people. A lot of them were younger than me. Felt weird. Have to get used to this. :laughing:

Could that be because YOU are now older? :P

Shush, now! :laughing:

That is a little bit of it, but most of the cachers in our area have always been old enough to be my parents or my grandparents (we have a fair amount of 70-80 year olds). There are a tiny amount that are my age or maybe a few years younger.

So...even though I am now 40 years old (sheesh), there were people at the event that looked 20. Maybe they were older, who knows, everyone looks like a baby to me now. :anitongue::rolleyes:

Edited by Ambrosia

I didn't get an e-mail. maybe i'm not signed up to receive them. but at 28 i was probably the youngest person at the pi day event i attended, but a lot of the pictures i see posted on logs in my area seem to be younger aged (25-35 years old) but that may also have something to do with the phone use age gap that exists.

I would like to see those creative hides, too.

But I'm not joining pinterest or twitface to do so, though.

:lol::lol::lol: Could not of said it better myself :lol::lol::lol:

Groundspeak has its own web site, why not host this stuff there?

Exactly!!! Kind of disgusting when there are contests, specials, updates, or stuff like that last GC email, and ALL only on social blabber sites, like dangling that carrot out in front of the bear trap. Sorry, some of us decided to have lives rather than read about the empty trivial fluff that other folks missing the things around them post... <<sigh>>

+1

The first several photos that I would see without registering were interesting. It would be nice to see the rest someday.

What's it like to have people at events that are your age?

It doesn't really matter to me what age people are, I get along with anybody. I've never really attached to people my age, anyway - more so with people either older than me or younger than me. Even though I've known some of the local cachers for over a decade and love going to events and have nice conversations there, I don't really do anything with them outside of events. I know a lot of them go caching with each other, though.

I don't see this as "pushing" one site or another so much as reaching different people through the sites they are familiar and comfortable with.

They use a lot of different resources to reach people. Given how much people complain about n00bs not understanding the game, I think that's a good thing.

They feature different things in their emails all the time. Sometimes something looks interesting, and it turns out to be an online video. I hate online videos. Oh well, that link just isn't for me. I guess next time, I'll come to the forum and shout about it instead of ignoring the newsletter.

I agree 1000%. I was really ticked off after I started to look at the geocaching pictures and then would be required to sign up for another site to see them. OK let those who want to use other sites use them, but let those who don't want to have to sign up for them see the pictures anyway.

That is not even close to what I see when I attend events or run into cachers in the field... mostly a bunch of gray or balding, often overweight retirees or soon to be's. Of course, that may just be my neck of the woods.

Hey! I resemble that remark.

Didn't you see my tweet about being in that same group myself?

I don't see this as "pushing" one site or another so much as reaching different people through the sites they are familiar and comfortable with.

They use a lot of different resources to reach people. Given how much people complain about n00bs not understanding the game, I think that's a good thing.

They feature different things in their emails all the time. Sometimes something looks interesting, and it turns out to be an online video. I hate online videos. Oh well, that link just isn't for me. I guess next time, I'll come to the forum and shout about it instead of ignoring the newsletter.

The problem with that, for some of us, at least, is that information is scattered about all over the place. And not duplicate information... different information. We need to read the forums, follow the blog, keep a close eye on Facebook, watch for tweets, check Pinterest, and subscribe to their CompuServe and AOL sections to get everything.

I hate online video too but its because I am deaf and those automatic subtitles are a joke.

Every time I see videos from GS, I feel left out.

To roll this back on topic, I saw the email today but wasn't impressed about it. The "OMG" part is very offended to some people because its taking God name in vine and its against the way the Bible is taught.

Heres as many as i can post in one post. If you want more tell me, or if you dont want more tell me also.

7927d930af3b4922a702666928a4eccd.jpg

A trail marker? No, a hidden geocache! Just be careful how you attach it; remember the hiding guidelines regarding not causing damage to surroundings.

554d2e99a80846964c81a66963e0fb7c.jpg

Cute little mushroom cache

f3e43c36b8065a0b45aca685fe1d0860.jpg

Cool #geocache in Finland. But you don't have to be King Arthur to do it. :) Pull out the sword and it releases the drawer to open.

09adc433579c137617599e839ddf2a23.jpg

Cool wood camo with a #geocache tucked underneath.

dad6643c7815d039a998eaf3960bce48.jpg

Line up the crosshairs!

6b46b8178d67b9256eedd8224635951a.jpg

SThe wooden triangle fits perfectly in the stairs.

Edited by Cunninghams!

OK, so n00bs see containers attached to trees and a viewing scope attached to a tree. Aren't we prevented from attaching things to trees like that? Won't they be surprised when their new cache placement is not published due to Guideline violations.

OK, so n00bs see containers attached to trees and a viewing scope attached to a tree. Aren't we prevented from attaching things to trees like that? Won't they be surprised when their new cache placement is not published due to Guideline violations.

Like what? From the photos, I don't see anything that shows that they were attached to the tree in a way that is against the guidelines. It does look like they made a hole to attach the cache, but there's nothing that definitive in those pictures. Or were you talking about the Youtube videos? I haven't watched those yet.

Okay, nice email from geocaching.com announcing 197 Creative Geocache Hides and neat stuff... go to the site and HEY! Pushing cachers into joining Pinterest.

You're not being pushed into joining pinterest, they are merely pointing out that users of pinterest who are also geocachers have put these up on the site. Anything on pinterest is freely available on the internet, you don't have to be signed up, pinterest is merely a big mob of flash bookmarks.

Give kudos to your favorite... HEY, getting pushed to join the blabber on Facebook.

Again, they are just saying there is a conversation going on there. Facebook is central, anyone across the world can access it and it is more well known than these forums. They could have said "Go and have a chat to old Bob about it behind the bar at the Latitude and Longitude in Bourke", but Bourke is a hell of a lot less accessible than Facebook.

Geeze, somehow walking around with your nose in your phone keeping up with Facebook or other social media just doesn't seem to fit with someone who likes going exploring and enjoying the sights around them. Maybe just me but I'd bet there's a lot of cachers who avoid social media like the plague.

I hate to rain on your parade (and it seems like you're having such fun too) but simply by being here and starting this thread YOU are actively participating in social media. Social media is not a defined set of websites. Social media is anywhere on the net where you can throw your 2 cents worth in, it's anywhere that you can make a contribution. This thread is social, it is a conversation.

Does anyone else find those who despise social media to be like that old stereotypical Vegan?

Okay, nice email from geocaching.com announcing 197 Creative Geocache Hides and neat stuff... go to the site and HEY! Pushing cachers into joining Pinterest.

You're not being pushed into joining pinterest, they are merely pointing out that users of pinterest who are also geocachers have put these up on the site.

That message did not come across. I thought that Groundspeak set up the site.

Anything on pinterest is freely available on the internet, you don't have to be signed up,

Really? I could not look at the photos of these 197 caches.

Again, they are just saying there is a conversation going on there. Facebook is central, anyone across the world can access it and it is more well known than these forums.

However one it is normally expected to use one's real name there and one gets so many spam mails and things like that which does not happen for forums like this one.

It does not fit into the concept of facebook and co do use aliases.

Moreover forums like this one are open while so many geocaching facebook groups are closed. They do not wish that people outside of the clique can read what they write and I do not mean small private groups, but e.g. a facebook group with the goal to represent geocaching in a whole country.

Does anyone else find those who despise social media to be like that old stereotypical Vegan?

I neither have an issue with vegan people (I'm not) nor with people who do not want to use Facebook and Co (I belong to them).

Nope, I liken them to that old dude that sits on the porch at the corner house...always yelling at the kids to "stay off my lawn"...he mumbles to himself a lot: "change is always bad", "need to stay with my aol dial up email forever", "I remember when burgers only cost a quarter!"... :ph34r:

Edited by Uncle Alaska

Like what? From the photos, I don't see anything that shows that they were attached to the tree in a way that is against the guidelines. It does look like they made a hole to attach the cache, but there's nothing that definitive in those pictures. Or were you talking about the Youtube videos? I haven't watched those yet.

I also am wondering how those items have been attached to those trees so that they remain in accordance with the guidelines :unsure:

And if it looks to me like they might be attached with nails / screws I reckon it might look that way to others also - including those that are blissfully unaware that there's even a guideline for that sort of thing :(

I sure would value some feedback from a Groundspeak representative here :)

I also am wondering how those items have been attached to those trees so that they remain in accordance with the guidelines :unsure:

And if it looks to me like they might be attached with nails / screws I reckon it might look that way to others also - including those that are blissfully unaware that there's even a guideline for that sort of thing :(

I sure would value some feedback from a Groundspeak representative here :)

I can't see how else the scope and trailmarker are attached to those trees. Anyone got suggestions about how they are attached and still meet the guidelines?

Also, the cement post...is it just sitting on top of the ground? That would be quite unstable.

Edited by L0ne.R

I hate online video too but its because I am deaf and those automatic subtitles are a joke.

Every time I see videos from GS, I feel left out.

To roll this back on topic, I saw the email today but wasn't impressed about it. The "OMG" part is very offended to some people because its taking God name in vine and its against the way the Bible is taught.

Hi Swine. I'm severely HoH. When GS started adding videos to promote geocaching I contacted them about closed captioning (not the gobbledygook automatic kind). Some videos had them, some did not. They asked me to let them know which ones were missing proper CC labelling. I sent a list and they fixed them. Since then they have always included their own subtitles/closed captioning. If you notice anything that is not properly cc'd let them know. I didn't check the GIFF videos - I expect most of those aren't properly cc'd.

I don't see why it's necessary to say disparaging things about people for using the internet differently. Not every site is for every person. Lots of people aren't into forums. Some people don't like videos. Some people let the email newsletters go to their spam folders.

There are a handful of people who get really upset when a particular communication isn't aimed directly at them. It's not really a matter of platform.

And a stairway that has been modified. Don't forget that. (cool cache, though!!)

This pinned photo is done right. Note the cable around the tree.

10507831_298140353716309_2107624395_n.jpg

Is it done right?

Does the cable give so that it doesn't cut into the bark and girdle the tree?

Unless it's actually something like bungee cord which would stretch rather than cut :)

That being said, looking at that particular cache I'm going to assume that it gets regular maintenance and the CO will take the opportunity to monitor the situation and make appropriate adjustments as required :)

I must add though that there really are some very inspirational caches there. Some not so much (like the wad of chewing gum... you can buy those) but some excellent ideas as a whole.

There is one there that I found a few years ago in Silverton, CO. and I loved it at the time.

I must add though that there really are some very inspirational caches there. Some not so much (like the wad of chewing gum... you can buy those) but some excellent ideas as a whole.

There is one there that I found a few years ago in Silverton, CO. and I loved it at the time.

I wouldn't know :unsure:

I can't register. I go all the way through and get to the "come on in" button and nothing happens!

Too bad these pictures weren't posted somewhere where one could just look at them without having to join a site!

I guess GS must get some sort of revenue from people being directed there.

I can't register. I go all the way through and get to the "come on in" button and nothing happens!

Too bad these pictures weren't posted somewhere where one could just look at them without having to join a site!

Pinterest is a place for sharing links. All of the pictures are from other sites. Pinterest is just a useful tool for putting them in one spot where you can see all the pictures at once. Nothing is stopping you from also combing the internet for the very same pictures of cool hides.

Pinterest is a place for sharing links. All of the pictures are from other sites. Pinterest is just a useful tool for putting them in one spot where you can see all the pictures at once. Nothing is stopping you from also combing the internet for the very same pictures of cool hides.

I'm aware of that, but there are other picture sites that don't require joining just to view the pictures ... only for posting.

Be that as it may, I finally figured out why I couldn't register. I had to disable Ad Block before it would cycle.

What do all those hashtags in that newsletter have to do with anything? #silly

Off topic a bit, but I have noticed a few new logs that are only hashtags and nothing else. Things like: #micro #sunnyday and that's it. I really hope that's not going to be a new trend.

As for the rest of the containers on Pinterest, I can tell you that several are duplicates (maybe different locations, but the same basic cache), mostly of the log cache that a guy could buy from Groundspeak. Several others are preforms or bison tubes in holes with a plastic animal glued to the end (so inspirational!). There were quite a few nice puzzle boxes, but nothing that I'd be able to look at and duplicate from a photo.

I still remember when # was a pound sign, my dad still remembers when it was a tic-tac-toe board.
I tend to call it "sharp" myself...

When my daughter's around, I refer to it as a "hashbrown"

Otherwise, it is an octothorpe

It's a phone thing.

You don't want to know what is the phone-thing word for "asterisk"

Meanwhile, looking at the pictures that were posted here gives me an idea where might be located a cache I have DNF'd so thanks for that.

On another note, regarding the pinterest thing -- is it mandatory to force a login to view galleries? Like, could they have made an anonymous public version if they wanted to?