Cheating?

Loony Londo

A cacher has logged two of my earthcaches but he has also logged a traditional cache near my caches which I look after for the cacher owner. The cache is missing so the cache owner and I have seperately asked him where he found the missing cache.

If he does not reply after a reminder should I decide I have reason to believe he is arm chair logging and challenge his finds of my nearby earthcache?

What do people think?

If he has answered the questions to the EarthCaches - to your satisfaction - then how can you just "ASSUME" that he did not do them? I would say that is a bit rough on the guy. The traditional cache is another issue completely and has no bearing whatsoever on the EarthCache log not being legit. I would be mega pissed-off if you deleted my log on your EC that I submitted and you verified my answers. I would appeal it to Groundspeak immediately.

A cacher has logged two of my earthcaches but he has also logged a traditional cache near my caches which I look after for the cacher owner. The cache is missing so the cache owner and I have seperately asked him where he found the missing cache.

If he does not reply after a reminder should I decide I have reason to believe he is arm chair logging and challenge his finds of my nearby earthcache?

What do people think?

If the questions for the Earthcache have been answered, how would you justify deleting the "found" log?

If the traditional cache is missing, what kind of maintenance are you providing?

B.

What do people think?

If the questions for the Earthcache have been answered, how would you justify deleting the "found" log?

If the traditional cache is missing, what kind of maintenance are you providing?

B.

I have replaced the traditional about 4 times. I went to replace the log and discovered the cache was missing and reported this to the owner and suggested it was time to change the location. I posted a note that the cache was missing and yet people continued to log finds for a cache which was not there. What does that say about their honesty?

Edited by Keystone
fixed quote
I have replaced the traditional about 4 times. I went to replace the log and discovered the cache was missing and reported this to the owner and suggested it was time to change the location. I posted a note that the cache was missing and yet people continued to log finds for a cache which was not there. What does that say about their honesty?

That's why absentee owners should archive the caches they can't take care of. Only the cache owner has the ability properly maintain the cache and the cache listing.

If you really want that cache to be properly maintained, then the cache owner should either adopt it over to you, or they should archive it and you can place a new cache there.

Also, very few people read the cache page, never mind the previous logs.

Lots of people log "found it" on caches that are missing, disabled, archived. I really think some people only know how to log "found it", and not "dnf" and "needs maintenance" and "needs archived".

I think if the cacher in question logged other caches in the area, then they are probably not being dishonest.

Logchair cachers tend to log "found it" for numerous caches that aren't in the same area. That's an easy way to tell that they are just logging GC codes.

Did they log more caches in the same area? Do those logs sound legitimate? Did they post photos for any of those caches?

I would be rather leery of deleting logs of people unless I had serious proof.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

What do people think?

You have no basis for making such an accusation.

Perhaps he is armchair logging, perhaps he's just one of those cachers who logs a find because he was there, even though he didn't find the cache.

Regardless, it has nothing to do with your Earthcache.

Perhaps you should consider revising your Earthcache to include tasks that are not so easily completed from the armchair, instead of combing through their profiles looking for reasons to delete their finds.

Remember the breakdown of the word ASSUME… It makes an A** out of U and Me...

If the answers are correct then do not assume it was arm chaired.

This is the major reason I wish they would bring back the photo requirement. W/out it, I don’t think the “higher ups” are that concerned w/this issue…

Remember your only concern here is your Earthcache.

I am the so called "absentee CO".

I've written to several recent "finders" to explain my maintenance pal has visited twice and couldn't find the cache, so would they kindly let me know briefly where they found it so I can direct him. No replies.

I am not just some absentee CO as has been suggested, but thanks for that, you've made me feel a good deal better about myself, havjng had my elbow surgically reconstructed last Wednesday, and laying here in bed with it in plaster from shoulder to fingertips.

The very reason Loony Londo assists is because it is a busy cache, and we can't all be everywhere at once.

Having had no replies of where the cache has recently been found, last night I temporarily disabled it.

Maybe that will yield either a brief description of its location (should it have migrated) or reduce the fake logs if it has disappeared.

Funnily enough, before it disappeared, virtually every logger had noted it needed a new log roll, not one of the logs since we suspect it disappeared and when Loony Londo couldn't find it, as mentioned the full log at all!!

I suspect keeping it disabled for a couple of weeks rest will help before we reinstate the cache, possibly in a slightly different location.

I've written to several recent "finders" to explain my maintenance pal has visited twice and couldn't find the cache, so would they kindly let me know briefly where they found it so I can direct him. No replies.

If the cache has migrated and is still being found, logs on that (Traditional) cache certainly should stand. With the Earthcache (and with most Virtuals), who knows. If the other cache is in fact being found, perhaps the EC logs aren't cheating after all. I often post photos of myself at a no-container cache (well, a picture of my stand-in dragon, of course, not a picture of me :anibad:), I never just answer the questions that could be found elsewhere. Why would a finder make the Cache Owner guess if the finder was there? Some people's children.

The cache being disabled may not prevent new logs. But if you ask on the cache page for a PM (better yet, ask for a cache log, since PMs get lost) about cache migration and where the container now is, that may produce results.

Edited by kunarion

I am the so called "absentee CO".

I am not just some absentee CO as has been suggested, but thanks for that, you've made me feel a good deal better about myself, havjng had my elbow surgically reconstructed last Wednesday, and laying here in bed with it in plaster from shoulder to fingertips.

The very reason Loony Londo assists is because it is a busy cache, and we can't all be everywhere at once.

Having had no replies of where the cache has recently been found, last night I temporarily disabled it.

Maybe that will yield either a brief description of its location (should it have migrated) or reduce the fake logs if it has disappeared.

Funnily enough, before it disappeared, virtually every logger had noted it needed a new log roll, not one of the logs since we suspect it disappeared and when Loony Londo couldn't find it, as mentioned the full log at all!!

I suspect keeping it disabled for a couple of weeks rest will help before we reinstate the cache, possibly in a slightly different location.

Your cache maintenance is really beside the point. Someone's find on an entirely different cache has no relevance to the Earthcache.

What do people think?

obviously, people are pointing out there's more than one potential issue here. i'll address what you've put in this post though only. it is possible that the person came through and actually did do the items requested in your earthcaches and in their haste to log caches in the area that they DID find, they've inadvertantly logged this other cache. i get that from time to time on some of my puzzle caches because people aren't always very attentive when field logging (or logging after a trip). in most cases, an email gets it cleared up.

if you think they didn't even visit your locations for earthcaches, but still provided the correct answsers, i don't believe you have any recourse. future prevention would be to improve the requested answers to include things that can't be done from 2,000 miles away (and photos others have posted).

This thread is now about a "missing" trad cache and no longer an EarthCache. I am interested in the EC thread and don't give a rat's backside about the trad.

My 2c worth.

Seconded. The status of the nearby traditional is irrelevant.

Actually, it's worse than that - using a nearby traditional as a proxy log for an Earthcache strikes me as quite obviously not in the spirit of Earthcaching.

I'm in agreement ---this thread is getting convoluted. Future posts should be helpful suggestions that directly reply to the original post question:

What do people think?

I think I found the cacher you're referring to. As others have mentioned, did they send you the required answers? Your EC's have good questions, and so it seems like it would be difficult to answer them without having been at the location. If they answered the questions sufficiently, then I can't see a valid reason for you to delete their finds on the EC's.

That's just my 2-cents.

What do people think?

The lack of a reply is an invalid reason to delete a Find Log. The issue with the nearby Traditional is between the cache owner and them. I'd stay out of it. The only thing I would concern myself with is whether the Logging Requirements on the Earthcaches have been met, and you don't provide us with enough details in order to give an opinion on that.

If they answered the logging questions on your EC, that should be enough, n'est-ce pas?

If your logging questions can be answered without visiting the site, you may need to revise them a bit. But looking at your logging questions, I would think they're site specific enough. If the issue is that you think they got the answers from someone else, hard to prove that without more proof.

Your EC's have good questions, and so it seems like it would be difficult to answer them without having been at the location.

Meanwhile answers for ECs are shared too, and not only indvidually between friends, but also in files shared in facebook groups and other widely distributed

files. I do not know whether the OP's caches are affected, but it the strongness of the logging questions is not any longer something very relevant for checking whether

someone visited an EC location.

If they answered the questions sufficiently, then I can't see a valid reason for you to delete their finds on the EC's.

There I agree.