Ready to offer a reward

JustJackMN

Well it happened again. I tried to transfera pocket query to my Garmin Oregon 450. I opened the email, clicked download, connected my GPS to the computer,clicked on Garmin, copied and pasted the query to the Garmin file and of course when I checked the GPS when I was done Nada Zip, Zero, nothing transfered. So I am ready to offer a reward to anyone who can get this to work

Well it happened again. I tried to transfera pocket query to my Garmin Oregon 450. I opened the email, clicked download, connected my GPS to the computer,clicked on Garmin, copied and pasted the query to the Garmin file and of course when I checked the GPS when I was done Nada Zip, Zero, nothing transfered.

How many are in the PQ? Are you seeing any caches or waypoints listed at all? In the menu, “Geocaches / Find a Geocache”, what is shown?

Some considerations:

- The files (typically a cache file and a waypoints file) must be unzipped first, and should be “GPX” files.

- Place the files into [OR Drive]:/GARMIN/GPX, and check the folder to see that the files arrived.

- “Eject the drive” (right click the drive and select Eject, and wait), or wait a while before unplugging the GPSr. This ensures that the file is “closed”. I've been in a hurry and caused the same issue you're seeing. The file's there, just not accessible by the Oregon.

- Caches/waypoints beyond a certain distance (~100 miles, I think) will be invisible in the list. To view these, scroll the map to where the cache icon is.

- When all else fails, delete the old files (backup everything in [OR Drive]:/GARMIN/GPX that you may use later and delete all the files in it), run a PQ, unzip it and place the new PQ files into the [OR Drive]:/GARMIN/GPX, all over again. And Viola! :anibad: When I'm pretty sure my Oregon is broken, I re-do the steps, and for no particular reason, now it's fine. Like magic.

Edited by kunarion

Well it happened again. I tried to transfera pocket query to my Garmin Oregon 450. I opened the email, clicked download, connected my GPS to the computer,clicked on Garmin, copied and pasted the query to the Garmin file and of course when I checked the GPS when I was done Nada Zip, Zero, nothing transfered.

How many are in the PQ? Are you seeing any caches or waypoints listed at all? In the menu, “Geocaches / Find a Geocache”, what is shown?

Some considerations:

- The files (typically a cache file and a waypoints file) must be unzipped first, and should be “GPX” files.

- Place the files into [OR Drive]:/GARMIN/GPX, and check the folder to see that the files arrived.

- “Eject the drive” (right click the drive and select Eject, and wait), or wait a while before unplugging the GPSr. This ensures that the file is “closed”. I've been in a hurry and caused the same issue you're seeing. The file's there, just not accessible by the Oregon.

- Caches/waypoints beyond a certain distance (~100 miles, I think) will be invisible in the list. To view these, scroll the map to where the cache icon is.

- When all else fails, delete the old files (backup everything in [OR Drive]:/GARMIN/GPX that you may use later and delete all the files in it), run a PQ, unzip it and place the new PQ files into the [OR Drive]:/GARMIN/GPX, all over again. And Viola! :anibad: When I'm pretty sure my Oregon is broken, I re-do the steps, and for no particular reason, now it's fine. Like magic.

Okay flashback time to a parent teacher conference I had with my daughter's geometry teacher. I didn't understand a word he said and I don't know what you people are talking about. Same with the so called help pages.

After you have downloaded the file, check to see if the file name includes .zip If so, then you need to unzip the file before you can copy and paste to your GPSr. Right click on the file and look for the unzip option.

Once done, you should be able to see a heap of files with the extension .gpx

These are what you need to copy and paste into your GPSr.

Good luck.

Right click on the file and look for the unzip option.

Good luck.

In Win 7 or Win 8 you just left click twice.

"heap of files" = 2 files if there are caches with waypoints or 1 file if there isn't.

When I download mt PQ files, I get a box with open or save. I choose open and get this:

13704528_Owatonna50.gpx GPXfile

13704528_Owatonna50-wpts.gpx GPSfile

I copy and paste both files to the Garminfile which has a bunch of files, including a couple old files that were on. I get a box asking if I want to put the new file on and I click yes.

I've used a few different GPSr units, and sometimes the unit stores files in a place I wouldn't expect it to. My Garmin has a folder called GPX where it stores cache info. My Delorme stores 'em in Waypoints and not, for some reason, in the Geocaches folder. Try downloading a single cache from the map using the Garmin plugin and then looking around for where it stored it. Put your pocket query in the same place.

One more possibility--you may have both internal and external storage on the device (such as an SD card). If you're transferring the pocket query to the internal storage and looking on your GPSr set up to use external storage, you won't see it. Should be under settings. I'm not sure, but I think it's possible for the GPSr to be set to use the external (SD card) setting even without one in the slot.

I should ask--can you see that the file transferred? It shows on the device when it's hooked up?

Edited by ByronForestPreserve

Right click on the file and look for the unzip option.

Good luck.

In Win 7 or Win 8 you just left click twice.

"heap of files" = 2 files if there are caches with waypoints or 1 file if there isn't.

When I download mt PQ files, I get a box with open or save. I choose open and get this:

13704528_Owatonna50.gpx GPXfile

13704528_Owatonna50-wpts.gpx GPSfile

I copy and paste both files to the Garminfile which has a bunch of files, including a couple old files that were on. I get a box asking if I want to put the new file on and I click yes.

Those are the correct files to move. Let's take this slowly. You said you copied and pasted to the "Garminfile." Confirm it was actually to the [diskname]\Garmin\GPX folder. [diskname] is whatever letter or name your computer assigned to the GPS.

Also what type of computer are you using, a Mac or a PC?

How many are in the PQ? Are you seeing any caches or waypoints listed at all? In the menu, Geocaches / Find a Geocache, what is shown?

Some considerations:

- The files (typically a cache file and a waypoints file) must be unzipped first, and should be GPX files.

- Eject the drive (right click the drive and select Eject, and wait), or wait a while before unplugging the GPSr. This ensures that the file is closed. I've been in a hurry and caused the same issue you're seeing. The file's there, just not accessible by the Oregon.

Okay flashback time to a parent teacher conference I had with my daughter's geometry teacher. I didn't understand a word he said and I don't know what you people are talking about. Same with the so called help pages.

Have you gotten any "GPX" file saved and working? If we are to go step-by-step, it may be best to start with the steps to load and view just one cache.

Edited by kunarion

Some considerations:

Have you gotten any "GPX" file saved and working? If we are to go step-by-step, it may be best to start with the steps to load and view just one cache.

I can load the caches one at a time just fine. i always check my GPSr to make sure it loaded. I can search by cache name on my Garmin OREGON 450.

You aren't answering the simpler questions and are focusing on the harder ones being asked.

1) There is (or should be) nothing called 'Garminfile' on your unit.

2) Please, start with Geotrekker26's question in post #13.

3) Like Geotrekker26, I suspect you saved the *.gpx files in the Garmin folder, instead of the GPX folder underneath the Garmin folder. That's not allowed.

You aren't answering the simpler questions and are focusing on the harder ones being asked.

1) There is (or should be) nothing called 'Garminfile' on your unit.

2) Please, start with Geotrekker26's question in post #13.

3) Like Geotrekker26, I suspect you saved the *.gpx files in the Garmin folder, instead of the GPX folder underneath the Garmin folder. That's not allowed.

There is a folder called Garmin which in turn contains files and other folders, one of which is called GPX, this is where you should paste your files to.

Probably easiest to contact your local cachers and find out who's the biggest geek in town. Then get them to look at it in person.

I've got the same GPSr as the OP. Not to confuse things but rather than copying the GPX file directly to the [drive]:/Garmin/GPX directory it may be easier to use a basic waypoint manager such as EasyGPS. It will read in a zipped or unzipped GPX file, then caches can be "Sent" to the GPS without having to know where they're going to be stored. In fact, I probably do that more (but use GSAK) than copying a GPX file directly.

Probably easiest to contact your local cachers and find out who's the biggest geek in town. Then get them to look at it in person.

I've got the same GPSr as the OP. Not to confuse things but rather than copying the GPX file directly to the [drive]:/Garmin/GPX directory it may be easier to use a basic waypoint manager such as EasyGPS. It will read in a zipped or unzipped GPX file, then caches can be "Sent" to the GPS without having to know where they're going to be stored. In fact, I probably do that more (but use GSAK) than copying a GPX file directly.

I had a 450 and used GSAK as well, to generate the .gpx file and transfer it to the GPS.

I was going to suggest the OP's GPS has old files that need clearing or maybe just resetting the whole thing from scratch. That's really the type of thing easier to fix in person. It can be done over the internet if necessary, but is more tedious!

HAPPY DANCE!!! I went back through all the posts and looked and looked tosee if I missed anything. Aha!!! GPX,I looked down the list of the "E" drive,which is the Garmin drive and there was GPX. Clicked on that, list of GC numbers came up so I copied from the PQ and pasted in the GPX and it worked.Thanks to allwho gave this non tech old man clues.

HAPPY DANCE!!! I went back through all the posts and looked and looked tosee if I missed anything. Aha!!! GPX,I looked down the list of the "E" drive,which is the Garmin drive and there was GPX. Clicked on that, list of GC numbers came up so I copied from the PQ and pasted in the GPX and it worked.Thanks to allwho gave this non tech old man clues.

Excellent! We've all been in your situation, and now after much practice, the steps to load a GPX file seem simple. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion