Fundraiser coin for the Historic Mansion of the Saltine Cracker Inventor

mo pirate

I will be making a new geocoin (trackable on geocaching.com) for the mission of helping with a tremendous amount of funding needed to restore a mansion built and occupied by the inventor of the Saltine Cracker. Frank L Sommer come to St Joseph, MO when the Wagon Trains started moving out to settle the West. He started his own Bakery business and made a new product that would be lightweight and easy to transport on a wagon heading West. This became know as the Premium Saltine Cracker. They were stowed away in barrels on the sides of the wagon and ready for using at any moment. Later through the years his company became the National Biscuit Company or NABISCO. He moved to New York and the Block size building that was his Baking Empire is still used today at Francis and Main Sts in St Joseph. One part is a Dinner Theater while other parts are storage, etc.

This endeavor is for his personal residence about 7 blocks north of the Bakery (next to the Ferry crossing on the MO River)at 914 Main st. The house has suffered through more than 20 years of non occupany and lack of maintenance. It now has a clear title and a group willing to make it a mansion again. All of the proceeds from the sale of the coins will go to help with needs for this restoration and rebuild.

thanks,

Steve Allen

I am thinking of doing a run of 200 with a sale price of about $20 each. RE will be antique Silver with LE being Black Nickel and maybe an XLE of Antique gold.

I would like to hear your thoughts of interest and comments on the actual design.

04e969a4-138b-4b57-a196-97eb04f630a4.jpg

c2e3943c-1684-4056-91ad-278bf688c998.jpg

I'm in.

WOW, i am as well. Love good causes and this one is a GREAT one. will the $20. be postage in US included???

No, postage would be extra as some might want other coins or more than one. Combined shipping is always offered. I am guessing about $3 shipping (US) especially if it ends up being a 3" coin!

I'm in.

WOW, i am as well. Love good causes and this one is a GREAT one. will the $20. be postage in US included???

No, postage would be extra as some might want other coins or more than one. Combined shipping is always offered. I am guessing about $3 shipping (US) especially if it ends up being a 3" coin!

Have you noticed that 3" coins don't fit very well in standard 2.5" binder pockets? ... :rolleyes:

OK this baby is at the mint and in production. Still hope to sell it for around $20- 25 with all proceeds going to help save the mansion that was home to the inventor of the saltine cracker and eventually became National Biscuit Company or NABISCO. This house is in St Joseph, MO where all the wagon trains headed West from. It was carried in barrels as a lightweight food source for the long haul.

I have 25 of this Special Edition in Antique Bronze. This is a 3" coin and has curved 3D on barrel side. You can see the brick texture under the red color too! Price is $25 since it is a fundraiser for the renovation of this historic mansion. $3.50 shipping in US. Let me know.thanks in advance, MO Pirate

0e142af9-6b54-489e-97f9-e3fa385ae525.jpg

Edited by mo pirate

Got these beauties very surprised at the size! And the detail is fantastic if anyone hasn't ordered a set I would definitely recommend it and if you can't get a set order one it's definitely worth it! Plus it's a fundraiser give a little get a lot! Great coins MO some of my favorites for sure!

image_zps6sczschw.jpg

image_zpsepruxtlb.jpg

image_zpsgi0rchjd.jpg