Garmin Oregon 650 - Won't read SD Card Caches

I have tried using a SanDisk 32g Ultra and a SanDisk 8g - normal. Have formatted both cards and even made up folder called Garmin then a sub folder GPX, and put the caches inside. I can see these files on the cards when it is on my PC. But for some reason the Garmin Oregon does not read them.

I have tried loading the GPX files with the memory card in the GPS and with the memory card in the card reader. Doesn't work either way.

Something to try: remove all GPX files from both the internal storage and the card. Check to be sure you don't have any .loc files, if you do, remove them too. Restart the GPS TWICE. The first time may take a little while while the unit clears the internal database. The second restart should be very quick with a unit free of any gpx files. Now load a pocket query gpx file to the card while the card is in the GPS. Check the card to see the file did load properly by comparing the size of the file on the GPS vs the computer. Now restart the GPS with fingers crossed.

All this should not be necessary, but there is something strange going and this process will give you a clean reference point. If this and the third card fail then I'd suggest a factory reset of the GPS.

Good luck.

ok followed your instructions to the letter including the crossing of the fingers on restart, and it is now working with geocaches files on the sd card. Thanx a lot for your help really appreciate it.

I've never had the 'indexing' problem with the 64s, but after having this happen several times with my previous model, I learned to ONLY put maps and GPX files on the SD card. If anything ever goes wrong, just pull the card and reboot. Insert the card and reboot again. Problem fixed. Saved my butt a couple times after getting out in the field and it said "no caches found". The cards are so cheap these days, it's really cheap insurance.