Trackable works on another website, but not geocaching, despite the trackable being in geocaching's system

diosma1

Might be a long thread title I know, but today I found a trackable from Germany, which gave us a link to geokrety.org. I first try to log this cache on Geocaching.com. The name of the cache is on there, along with the owner, however the last log on it was November 2014 and the tracking code on it will not work. I go to geokrety.com and I insert the SAME tracking code which works just fine. So I want to know, is this okay, and what should I do?

Also, I want to log several trackables at the same time to save me the hassle of going through each and every one individually, however the main site I use is down, so does anyone know anywhere else I can do that? Thank you.

Edited by diosma1

Might be a long thread title I know, but today I found a trackable from Germany, which gave us a link to geokrety.org. I first try to log this cache on Geocaching.com. The name of the cache is on there, along with the owner, however the last log on it was November 2014 and the tracking code on it will not work. I go to geokrety.com and I insert the SAME tracking code which works just fine. So I want to know, is this okay, and what should I do?

Also, I want to log several trackables at the same time to save me the hassle of going through each and every one individually, however the main site I use is down, so does anyone know anywhere else I can do that? Thank you.

Geokrety is not part of Groundspeak. Drop the TB in a cache, and log it as dropped on the Geokrety site.

(Although, their site will show them in Groudspeak listed caches)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Item #1 -- I'm confused... Are you addressing a trackable item, or are you addressing a cache?

It kinda/sorta reads as a trackable, but 'cache' keeps coming up.

Item #2 -- Trackables are individuals and really ought to be treated as such. IMO, if you want to "Discover" a hundred or so, then be prepared to do a hundred or so logs. If you want to move a thousand or so, then also be prepared to log a thousand or so.

The thread title says something different... as the trackable being "'in' geocaching[.com]'s system". If not a geocaching tracking item, it can't be "in the [geocaching.com] system". Anything with a unique serial number can be tracked through a cache, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are "in the [geocaching.com] system".

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

The owner emailed me back to say it is not used on geocaching.com despite it having its own trackable page. It shouldn't have a page if it isn't used on geocaching.com. There are little to no geoketry uses in Ireland.

That item is a "Geokrety" (items tracked on another site), not an official Groundspeak "The Travel Bug". A Geokrety unrelated to Geocaching.com, except that it's placed in caches. There are other "tracked" items that operate in a similar way, and they include info about the separate way they are requested to be logged. You won't track them on Geocaching.com. Some items simply have an email address, to contact the owner when you find it, just as an inexpensive way to "track" items in caches. Set those aside and log the Official Trackables first, then you may log the others manually as you like.

If any "Trackable" is weird and you can't figure out how to log it and don't have a way to research it, make some decent cache logs about the item, and place it into a cache.

Edited by kunarion