Super Deal on Hiking Boots

Team DEMP

I saw this on another board and thought some folks here might be interested. Amazon has Merrell Grand Traverse Gore Tex Hiking Boots Mens normally $225 for $1.40!! Unfortunately, they only have sizes 8 and 10 listed as available.

They also have a pair listed for $1.10 - Merrell Grand Traverse Hiking Boots Mens

I placed an order for the $1.40 pair and with regular shipping it is $7.48. I assume they will honor the price. Worth a shot anyway.

For those that didn't get in (or those that did), I received an email today regarding the purchase. No good icon_frown.gif

A snippet from the email:

We would like to apologize for an error that caused an incorrect price to briefly be listed for the hiking boots that you ordered from Sportsrus.com. Because of this error, we have cancelled your order for the boots. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you. You will be receiving a cancellation e-mail and an e-mail advising that your credit card has been credited for a full refund, within the next two business days.

That's strange. I got an email today confirming the purchase.

Amazon Payments has charged your credit card for this purchase, and the funds have been credited to Sportsrus.com. On behalf of Sportsrus.com, we thank you for your purchase.

I'll be interested to see if see if another email arrives.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

I just got a new pair last week. A new REI store opened in Fairfax, VA, not too far from me. My new pair is a lot better than my old ones. I think the key is they fit right. I got a half size large than my normal shoe size.

Anyway, you can get them on sale there this month, 20% off I think. Not quite $1, but you can get a good GoreTex pair for around $100.

OK, its not quite a buck, but if you want pretty good deals on hiking boots, try www.sierratradingpost.com. I just picked up a pair of Gore-Tex Vasque boots for my wife, for $75.

I paid $79 at STP for the all leather Salomons I'm now wearing and saw the same boots a week after I received them for $149 in a local store.

Since they deal in closouts, the selection changes frequently and some models come in limited sizes, but there are great deals if you're persistent.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

Hmm, I received an email confirming the purchase. Nothing saying we are sorry for the mixup(yet). I am a size 10.5 Merrell, but for $10 I will give these a try (if they show up. . . ). If not someone will be getting a sweet gift. BTW, I tried to email them, there is no email link. The customer service email bounces back too. So I shall see what happens. Perhaps this will be like the Klondike Land Grab where you could get an inch of land or whatever it was (see other discussion forums for more details!). One more thing, if you REALLY want these boots - there is a tremendous upsurge of the exact boot on ebay for cheap. Hmmm, correlation - me thinks it is.

Addition - I looked at the "reviews" on Amazon for this product = A LOT of PO'd people. My CC has been charged. . . . I know, I know too good to be true. icon_frown.gif

[This message was edited by otterbuff on October 15, 2003 at 04:22 PM.]

I didn't get a cancellation email yet - but did notice my credit card was credited $7.54 this morning (boots plus shipping), so alas it does appear they've caught the typo.

Was kind of fun though - sort of like buying a lottery ticket and getting your money back when it's not a winner! icon_smile.gif

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)