State Cache Listings

JL_HSTRE

Before the new Search page was rolled out, Find A Cache options included a 'state page' which included upcoming events for the entire state listed chronologically. There was also 'cache by state' option which gave a list of every active listing for the entire state. I can't find those with the new Search layout. Have they been removed, or just moved somewhere less obvious?

The "State Pages" (USA only) are still there, and are still being updated. I am not sure they're linked from any place on the website, but they are linked from the USA regional forum index pages.

Here is the state page for Florida, your home state. Other readers can substitute their state's ID for Florida's ("10") at the end of the URL.

How do we find our state ID#?

(Obviously, we can find it by going to the USA regional forum index page for our state. MN is #24, which I can see from the URL

http://www.geocaching.com/local/default.aspx?state_id=24

Edited by knowschad

To search an entire state, then the key is to leave the main search box and the distance radius box blank. See image below, which shows how to search Events in an entire state. Not an ideal method, but at least it's still possible. I rarely use the Search function (both the Old or New one). I usually just look at the full geocache map (Play --> View Geocache Map) and zoom/pan to get what I'm looking for.

See entire state by entering state name in "Search Only In..." box. Typing a state name will initiate a drop-down list.

See other/all cache types by changing the "Geocache Types" filter.

See the oldest cache in a state clicking "Placed On" column name when the search results appear...click once and it will sort with newest first, click again and it will sort with oldest first.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

NorthCarolina.png

I think you have to befriend somebody who saved a bookmark before they removed the link.

BTW, Canadian Provinces have "state" IDs in this scheme too. British Columbia is 64, Alberta is 63, but Saskatchewan ISN'T 62 (so much for a simple left-to-right sequence); Quebec is 62.

I have a complete list of state_ids for the US States, Canadian provinces (Saskatchewan is 71), and country ids as well. Does anyone want to be my friend.

However, I've getting runtime errors when using those URLS this morning.

To search an entire state, then the key is to leave the main search box and the distance radius box blank. See image below, which shows how to search Events in an entire state. Not an ideal method, but at least it's still possible. I rarely use the Search function (both the Old or New one). I usually just look at the full geocache map (Play --> View Geocache Map) and zoom/pan to get what I'm looking for.

See entire state by entering state name in "Search Only In..." box. Typing a state name will initiate a drop-down list.

See other/all cache types by changing the "Geocache Types" filter.

See the oldest cache in a state clicking "Placed On" column name when the search results appear...click once and it will sort with newest first, click again and it will sort with oldest first.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

NorthCarolina.png

Have you considered applying for work at Groundspeak? They could use someone like you. Well done. Thanks!

The "State Pages" (USA only) are still there, and are still being updated. I am not sure they're linked from any place on the website, but they are linked from the USA regional forum index pages.

Here is the state page for Florida, your home state. Other readers can substitute their state's ID for Florida's ("10") at the end of the URL.

Thanks for that.

Noticed these just a few weeks ago (never needed 'em with Hide & Seek), and was gonna ask why they're there.

Forgot about 'em.

Someone had a memory lapse, posted wondering why they couldn't get into their State forums anymore (never noticed it was regional).

My own memory lapse, this could have gotten me out on pi day. :)

Sad that this shows a bit more info than I can find on my profile page now.

Edited by cerberus1