HONORING PI DAY

In the bay area I am hoping to attend 3 events. One in the morning which will align the time to make it 3.141592653, then a Cito event after that, then at night another one that will align the same time again. Of course fill in the gaps for other caching.

There is an event starting at 9am tomorrow, about half an hour away. I have just completed a 10+ hour day, have laundry on the go, and supper to get..... The thought of getting up early for an event isn't thrilling me! I will set the alarm, and if I get up, great. If I don't - that's OK.

Happy Pi Day, folks!

Started the day with an Event and knew I'd also search for a Mystery, so figured I'd make today the day I get as many different icons as I probably ever will get...eight. Then I noticed that eight equals 3+1+4. I thought that was kinda cool, so...my way of honoring Pi Day is/was:

Find 8 different icons (8 = 3+1+4) -- Event, Virtual, Ltrbox Hybrid, Earth, Mystery, Multi, Wherigo, Traditional

And

Find 12 different caches (12 = 3x1x4) -- event counts as a find

Sometimes, the best challenges are the ones we create for ourselves. Note: I won't be logging today's finds until later tonight.

There is an event starting at 9am tomorrow, about half an hour away. I have just completed a 10+ hour day, have laundry on the go, and supper to get..... The thought of getting up early for an event isn't thrilling me! I will set the alarm, and if I get up, great. If I don't - that's OK.

Happy Pi Day, folks!

Well, I did it! Dragged my sorry rump out of bed, got to the location, took photos of travel bugs in the parking lot in the pouring rain, and got in line for a hot drink. The poor barista was on her own, and the manager hadn't even told her she would be swamped by geocachers. She served everyone speedily, with a smile on her face and got a round of applause from us. I also wrote to the head office complimenting her.

Sloshed around in the rain on the mountain bike for an hour (Gore Tex helps) and grabbed a mystery cache that I've had in reserve for some time. Went to a nice event in the evening and picked up a really great commemorative coin:

185ab07d-a7b8-44e5-9f8f-d2ec1b1aeb16.jpg

That's a beauty. I was watching two of them up for sale on Ebay over the last couple of weeks... Went for tidy money. :)

We went to a Pi Day event at a cafe on the side of a rather cold Welsh mountain... They didn't do pies but they did do large mugs of hot tea, fortunately!

MrsB :)

f4f2e989-4ca9-4adf-84bd-4fa81b3af8c8.jpg

I went to a pi event at a pizza restaurant. It was a lot of fun. We mobbed the back of the restaurant.

One of the women at the counter got really excited when she heard what we were up to. I told her to come out and sign the log book.

Someone published a new puzzle cache for the event, and handed it out at the event. Most of us could not make heads or tails of it, but the solution was soon being passed around too, for us puzzle impaired.

As people trickled out they headed for the puzzle cache. There was a huge list of names on the new log when I got there. The people kept coming up as I was leaving too. That was fun.

I then went out and grabbed a few more caches to make it a six icon day. I didn't have time to hunt down any more for more icons. To get more than that would have meant a lot of travel I didn't have time for.

It was a great event and a lot of fun. And now I've got 40 souvenirs. :)

My way of celebrating Pi Day was quite unCONventional. My friends and I left my house at 6:00 in the morning, stopped for breakfast, and attended Comic Con in Kansas City, Missouri.

8f74b1ed-b191-467b-a0bd-bf56cfcbf61a_l.jpg

3708c890-0496-4791-8dc3-0bc22b6d2671_l.jpg

081325c0-d457-41f0-9d90-b45b6a1ffd03_l.jpg

Afterwards, we ate at Pizza Street (Made famous by a comedy YouTube series) and capped off the day by finding a micro Geocache on our way home. It was a fantastic way to celebrate not only Pi Day, but also the first day of spring break as well.

My way of celebrating Pi Day was quite unCONventional. My friends and I left my house at 6:00 in the morning, stopped for breakfast, and attended Comic Con in Kansas City, Missouri.

That police box dress. Just awesome!

I know, I love it! Apparently other people do as well because I saw at least ten girls wearing the exact same dress.

I would have loved to go to KC Comic Con! Alas, last month's Visioncon murdered our savings...

When Groundspeak announced the two Pi Day souvenirs a while back, I started looking for events. The closest Pi Day event was about an hour away, which would not have been a problem except that Pi Day was the same day as the Springfield St. Patty's Day parade, which I was marching in, and I'd have been cutting it REALLY close with line-up if I'd gone to that event. So... I hosted my own event! We had a great turn-out, quite a few cachers sharing breakfast at Denny's. It was really awesome cause I got to meet one of the many wonderful people who are helping to run the upcoming MOGA, which I'll be attending for my first time. One cacher who couldn't stay but stopped to sign the logbook that my fiancé made for me gave me two 'cache aid kits' full of goodies to help repair and clean up caches. I also introduced a trackable that I made specifically for Pi Day. I had spent the past couple of days stopping into various stores trying to find a keychain or a little toy or something in the shape of a pie, but came up short. So, while I was baking some cookies for my guy, I threw together a little pie made out of salt dough, sealed it in Mod Podge, and brought it along to the event. I was hoping to release it later, but it ended up being a really busy day!

After the event, I ran to Walmart to pick up my prescription and grabbed half a dozen mini pies. Gave a couple to a friend who was helping me out big time with my parade costume, and brought the rest home. After the parade, we were invited out to dinner. I was keeping an eye on the window at the restaurant, wondering if we'd have daylight enough to grab that mystery cache. We were eating at Red Robin, and it was my first time there. I ordered a slice of the chocolate pie because of the holiday and even with three of us pecking away at it, needed a take-home box. It was massive! My muggle-ish guy came along with me after dinner to the first stage of a cache that, as it ends up, we didn't get the coordinates correct for the first time! So we revised and made the find right after it got dark! We went home to rest for a little under an hour before we hit the road again for another social gathering - it was a busy day!

I would have loved to go to KC Comic Con! Alas, last month's Visioncon murdered our savings...

When Groundspeak announced the two Pi Day souvenirs a while back, I started looking for events. The closest Pi Day event was about an hour away, which would not have been a problem except that Pi Day was the same day as the Springfield St. Patty's Day parade, which I was marching in, and I'd have been cutting it REALLY close with line-up if I'd gone to that event. So... I hosted my own event! We had a great turn-out, quite a few cachers sharing breakfast at Denny's. It was really awesome cause I got to meet one of the many wonderful people who are helping to run the upcoming MOGA, which I'll be attending for my first time. One cacher who couldn't stay but stopped to sign the logbook that my fiancé made for me gave me two 'cache aid kits' full of goodies to help repair and clean up caches. I also introduced a trackable that I made specifically for Pi Day. I had spent the past couple of days stopping into various stores trying to find a keychain or a little toy or something in the shape of a pie, but came up short. So, while I was baking some cookies for my guy, I threw together a little pie made out of salt dough, sealed it in Mod Podge, and brought it along to the event. I was hoping to release it later, but it ended up being a really busy day!

After the event, I ran to Walmart to pick up my prescription and grabbed half a dozen mini pies. Gave a couple to a friend who was helping me out big time with my parade costume, and brought the rest home. After the parade, we were invited out to dinner. I was keeping an eye on the window at the restaurant, wondering if we'd have daylight enough to grab that mystery cache. We were eating at Red Robin, and it was my first time there. I ordered a slice of the chocolate pie because of the holiday and even with three of us pecking away at it, needed a take-home box. It was massive! My muggle-ish guy came along with me after dinner to the first stage of a cache that, as it ends up, we didn't get the coordinates correct for the first time! So we revised and made the find right after it got dark! We went home to rest for a little under an hour before we hit the road again for another social gathering - it was a busy day!

Man it really does sound like you had a busy day. I would have loved to attend an event, but none were available to me and I am out of solved puzzles in my immediate area. By the way, I just uploaded a video to YouTube for my Comicon shenanigans. You can watch it here:

I'm going to party like it was 1592.

Should you log it as find #31415 or #31416? To be safe, attend two events :)

Good idea! But next year will be the Rounded Pi event on 3/14/16 but wait, round doesn't work, because "pi's are squared!"

Pie are not squared,

pie are round,

cake are squared.

:lol: :lol:

I attended 4 PI day events (from 7:45am till 9:26pm), found 17 caches (including two night caches) and 1 DNF. I was told I did it wrong as my ratio of caches to events should have been 22/7. So I should have stopped at 12 caches, and counting the DNF as 1/2, that would give me a more proper ratio for the day. Dang, missed by that much!

I attended 4 PI day events (from 7:45am till 9:26pm), found 17 caches (including two night caches) and 1 DNF. I was told I did it wrong as my ratio of caches to events should have been 22/7. So I should have stopped at 12 caches, and counting the DNF as 1/2, that would give me a more proper ratio for the day. Dang, missed by that much!

That's simply irrational!