Searching text of my logs

J Grouchy

What, if anything specific, are you looking for? Off the top of my head, I think GSAK might be your best option. Other than "FTF", I don't think I've looked for keywords in my logs.

I have something specific in mind (related to a puzzle), but I need to go back into my old logs and don't feel like scanning all of them (not just the 'Found It' logs).

Not that hard in gsak. Create dB Found. Run your my finds query and dump it in there. Open tge search box and you should be able to figure it out yourself because it is that obvious. But in case not enter the word you want in full text search box, click selected items only and logs and walla you got it. Most things you want to do are actually pretty simple in gsak and if you have a problem the gsak forums are extremely helpful.

Not that hard in gsak. Create dB Found. Run your my finds query and dump it in there. Open tge search box and you should be able to figure it out yourself because it is that obvious. But in case not enter the word you want in full text search box, click selected items only and logs and walla you got it. Most things you want to do are actually pretty simple in gsak and if you have a problem the gsak forums are extremely helpful.

I think you missed the last part of OP's second post: "(not just the 'Found It' logs)."

Is there a tool out there that can search the text of my own logs?

If GSAK is the only option, I'm going to need a "Complete Dummies Guide" for that program. I have played around with it briefly a few times, but can't seem to make heads or tails of it.

As I keep telling those who say that can't figure it out is if I can you can.

Edited by jellis

I think you missed the last part of OP's second post: "(not just the 'Found It' logs)."

I did miss that but GSAK has a macro that will get all or your logs of whatever kind and then you can go through that. Thanks for pointing that out.

If you don't want to use GSAK, and if the text is unique enough, you can just open the GPX that contains that log entry with a text editor, and do a text search.

For text editors, you can use Notepad (that comes with Windows). I highly recommend the free Notepad++ if you don't mind installing another program.

Once you find the text entry, just go back until you find the GC code.

I did miss that but GSAK has a macro that will get all or your logs of whatever kind and then you can go through that. Thanks for pointing that out.

This looked interesting, but still has a limitation that may or may not hinder the OP. You have to tell the macro what caches to search, which will usually be the output of MyFinds PQ but could be another active DB in GSAK. I'm not sure how it can find a DNF or Note log on a cache that is not been found by the user, there needs to be something to lead the macro to the log entry. Note this is based on reading the GetAllLogsForUser macro, if there is a better one please let me know. I've never kept track of DNFs and it would be an easy way to find them.

This looked interesting, but still has a limitation that may or may not hinder the OP. You have to tell the macro what caches to search, which will usually be the output of MyFinds PQ but could be another active DB in GSAK. I'm not sure how it can find a DNF or Note log on a cache that is not been found by the user, there needs to be something to lead the macro to the log entry. Note this is based on reading the GetAllLogsForUser macro, if there is a better one please let me know. I've never kept track of DNFs and it would be an easy way to find them.

If this is for a cache in the local area of the OP, and he has a PQ or PQ set that contains that cache, all of his logs will be downloaded, regardless of type.

If this is not for a cache in the local area of the OP, and the OP has a general idea of when the log was created, or if the OP does not have too many of that type of log, he can search for it using http://www.geocaching.com/my/geocaches.aspx