The new search function

Derb522002

Going to add my reply to the negative responses. The new search layout is terrible. I say terrible, because if it were good I wouldn't have had to come to these forums to see if it was my computer having issues or if the new search is garbage. If you don't get it yet: my computer's fine.

When you put in the search bar, you should have made it search by all the functions listed AND/OR by keyword. Shouldn't have to browse a forum to figure out there's a pico menu with more options.

Thanks, but fix it.

:|

Just tried to adjust km past 50 as that is what it will go up to for me, and couldn't obviously go past that. I set it to zero, with Events only clicked and got a DNF. Search again and now the km (distance) is unsetable. Cannot type in the box (greyed out), arrow up and/or down does nothing.

I've noticed the same issue of not being able to change filters after running a search. I usually just go back to "Play --> Find a Cache" and start over. This link will show you all Events in Alberta, CA. If this works for you, then you can click on "Change Filters" and see which selections were made to create the search.

I rarely used the old Search page, as I usually find caches using "Play --> View Geocache Map" and zooming/panning to areas I'm interested in. The forum posts have prompted me to look at the new Search page, but I can't tell what's different from the old search because I rarely used it. Between the main map and PQ's, not sure I have much use for the Search page.

Good luck.

I to usually just use the map to find what I want in the area I am going to. Thanks noncentric for the link to Alberta Events.

The new search function is horrid. Obviously my feedback from the preview was ignored as were many others judging by the feedback on this forum. Seriously, 30 mile limits! That is ridiculous. The new listing format of the cache found by the search is a terrible waste of screen space. This entire exercise appears to be an attempt to look like a phone app. NOT GOOD!

Fortunately, the query function from the map screen still works and the listing format is not yet changed (Groundspeak, DO NOT MESS with these list). Unfortunately, I can no longer look at any of my bookmark lists. Hopefully, that is just a server problem today.

The new search might have some good ideas but from my point of view it also misses some possibilities of the old search.

When I heard about the new search function my big hope was to get a search option to find caches "containing" some strings or even only some letters not only "starting with". And I wanted to have this as a world wide search. But this does not work unless I do something completely wrong. If I try to find all caches having "Codebrecher" in their name I just get a "DNF". Even though the caches I search for start with this text fragment.

If you've entered something into the main search box that will set a center point and a maximum radius of 50km. When you add a filter to search for a cache name it's going to try and find caches within that 50km with that name. If you *don't* enter anything in the main search box you can look for caches within region as large as a country. I see that you're in Germany so the largest region you can search in would be a German state (those of use in the US have a similar limit).

Why would you want to do a world wide search for a specific cache name? If you did a world wide searches with caches having Codebrecher in the name how does is help to show caches that might be 4000 miles away?

Why would you want to do a world wide search for a specific cache name? If you did a world wide searches with caches having Codebrecher in the name how does is help to show caches that might be 4000 miles away?

The example with "Codebrecher" was just an example. As "Codebrecher" is very "german" it will only find "german caches" even though the search was world wide :). But as you already wrote in another reply: USA and Germany are only searchable by regions within the country. So it's impossible for me to find all caches of a series which has caches spread all over Germany but not only in one region (e. g. "Deutschlandtour" which has one cache in each of the regions of Germany :().

... and why I want to search world wide: Imagine, that I want to find out which caches contain for example the string "four" in it, so I can build a mystery cache using this number of the title. I would like to find such kind of caches all over the world to create a nice mystery. Ok, that's a very special utilisation, but why not? If the "string search" within the cache title would allow a "like" search, everything would be ok (and the performance should not really be an issue) if a modern database software is used.

And I'm sure other users will have other reasons why they want a search to be more exhaustive than by country or even region of a country.

Extremely disappointed with the latest change in the search function. I loved to search for new areas to explore in the mountains and foothills, but now I have to know where to search to find anything. The tighter radius of caches does not allow me to adequately explore new areas, so now it's harder to find new parks and trails. These open spaces don't have zip codes or cities necessarily, so I relied upon the wider range to scroll through and find interesting groupings of caches that inevitably led me to places I didn't know of before. This is extremely inhibiting and I just don't understand why this change was made. The previous search engine seemed to work faster and, in my opinion, gave me more flexibility. Makes me wonder if this was truly tested with a variety of geocachers to make sure it met everyone's needs, not just to satisfy the development team. So very frustrated.

I am LOW tech I don't know what save as bookmark means or how to do it. I know you are just trying to help but all that stuff is like a different language Sorry

Hi gonefishing2, perhaps the image below will help a bit. It shows how to search within a specific state. The main thing, which is not at all intuitive, is to leave the main search box empty and click the "Add Filters" button to get to the filters screen. Since you're a Premium Member, then this should work for you.

(1) "Geocache Types" section - the image below is filtered only to Event, but will start off with all selected

(2) Enter your state in the "Search Only In..." box - the image below is for North Carolina, but start typing "Texas" and your state will show up

(3) Hit "Search" button

Hope that gets you what you're looking for. Good luck!

NorthCarolina.png

I tried this and it does not work. I cleared all my filters, placed state of Oregon in and only checked Events - The report said DNF. It appears that the web search is not working today. Huh?

i'am heading east in a week and was getting a look at the caches close by, also wanted to see the oldest and found out its impossible to do what i used to do, i saw only a fraction of caches as opposed to going on the map and going there ,there was triple amounts. why was this done?? and if i don't know the names of the oldest caches how can i find them when they don't list all the caches?? in case you don't know i'am very frustrated .

To find all the caches in a state, leave the search box on the main search page empty, just click on 'Add Filters'. On the filter page start entering in the state name in the 'Search Only In' box. When that box is filled in, click on the 'Search' button. This will list all the caches in a state sorted from your home coordinates. You can click on the column headers to sort on the column information.

I don't know why it happened, but the new change to the search function is absolutely horrific. It makes me want to cry. I've never written against something before, but with how much I use this program and with HOW BAD you've recently made it, I have too.

I travel A LOT....and I like to be able to search for large areas (100mile + radius) of particular "types" of caches. The new allowance of ONLY a 30 mile radius is the most ridiculous thing ever conceived. This makes the planning and the leg work tedious and frustrating. Perhaps if I could even scroll across my map, it would make me a tiny bit happier. I hate that I can choose "view map" to view larger sections of area, but then cannot have a way to have the caches listed out for me-- I have to click on each INDIVIDUALLY to see any information about them!!!!

Another thing that I do NOT like about the new format is that when I click on terrain or difficulty it doesn't toggle list the caches in a "linked" way between the two. If hit the difficulty button, YES, it will block the like difficulties together, but it has random terrains. EX: It lists all same difficulties together, but rather then having all the (1,1, 1,1.5, 1,2)'s together, you get something like (1,5 then 1,1 then 1,4.5, 1,2.5, ect, ect). This AGAIN makes searching annoying and tedius!!!!!

Lastly, I can no longer see my current or up-coming events like I used to be able to. What the heck!

I recently just renewed my premium membership.....but now I wish I handn't.

I am just so upset by the whole thing. Its like one of my favorite activities has now turned into "work" rather then fun. I hope this all gets fixed soon......

P.S...the font and the layout are atrocious.

NOT USER FRIENDLY!!!!! HUGE DISLIKE

I am LOW tech I don't know what save as bookmark means or how to do it. I know you are just trying to help but all that stuff is like a different language Sorry

Hi gonefishing2, perhaps the image below will help a bit. It shows how to search within a specific state. The main thing, which is not at all intuitive, is to leave the main search box empty and click the "Add Filters" button to get to the filters screen. Since you're a Premium Member, then this should work for you.

(1) "Geocache Types" section - the image below is filtered only to Event, but will start off with all selected

(2) Enter your state in the "Search Only In..." box - the image below is for North Carolina, but start typing "Texas" and your state will show up

(3) Hit "Search" button

Hope that gets you what you're looking for. Good luck!

I tried this and it does not work. I cleared all my filters, placed state of Oregon in and only checked Events - The report said DNF. It appears that the web search is not working today. Huh?

I think 'clearing' filters doesn't always work to 'start over' a search. I think the search function retains some info, so I usually just go back to "Play --> Find a Cache" and start over completely.

I just ran a search for events in Oregon and it did lake longer than expected to return results, so maybe there's indeed slow performance today. Anyway, I did end up getting results that can be found (hopefully) here: https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?types=6&r=38 If this works for you, then you can click on "Change Filters" and see which filters were used to create that search.

I posted this post (#115) in another thread regarding searching an entire state and then this post about the oldest/newest functionality. After running the "entire state" searc, then click the "Placed On" column name when the search results appear...click once and it will sort with newest first, click again and it will sort with oldest first. This works even if the results list only shows some of the results (ie, list shows 1k of 15k results).

Hope this works for you.

Edited by noncentric

I really hate the new look/search mode. Makes everything more difficult. I typed in Hawaii and it only gave me 39 caches. I know that there are way more than that. Piece of crap! Makes me want to give up geocaching all together if you are making it this difficult.

Why did you do this and then leave out functions we had before. We need a"found by" search function. This is how if only one of us had our phones working or if one of us was driving, we could log them later by using the "found by" caches of the person who was able to log them as we went...then we could log our finds using their "found" cache list. Now we have to have their log in and password and actually go to their page and WRITE DOWN all of the GC numbers they found...then go back to our page... and find them an log them. Please add this to the feature...you said you were going to send an email to me asking about the new search page, but you never did....

Why did you do this and then leave out functions we had before. We need a"found by" search function. This is how if only one of us had our phones working or if one of us was driving, we could log them later by using the "found by" caches of the person who was able to log them as we went...then we could log our finds using their "found" cache list. Now we have to have their log in and password and actually go to their page and WRITE DOWN all of the GC numbers they found...then go back to our page... and find them an log them. Please add this to the feature...you said you were going to send an email to me asking about the new search page, but you never did....

So call up that persons profile, click the Geocaches tab, and then All Geocache Finds and you get the list of all finds by that person, so if you were out caching with the big cheese himself you'd see

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=Jeremy

which is exactly what you would have seen with the search function before.

Hey Groudspeak,

every your WEB-change or "upgrade" make the web worse and worse. New search engine is really not suitable, not applicable, unclear, confusing,...and SLOW !!!

Do not kill ergonomists ! Do not follow MS !

Geocaching is a GAME not a means to pissed off the people !

Try to use configurable layout

Edited by Keystone
Removed potty language.

I've tried and tried to work with this new search release as I had lot of logging and research and investigating to do. I found from logging cache events in various cities, to trying to find a way to now search cache's found by username(???), to simply wanting to pull up a cache by name, etc. involves entering in additional information, extra steps, sliding the page down, etc.; And then the next one... doing this all over again. It takes so much more time! (Developing web pages and making them user friendly is my bread and butter.) Still having the old drop down under "Play" but not have it function as usual is a big disappointment/tease. There are a couple of changes that are good; for example, the additional search options for matching up multiple person's "not founds" for a combined outing, but why not have that as a separate choice via a button, or whatever (Additional Search Options), and leave the rest alone? You're making the game too much work!! I'm dreading having to do my next logs, which I still have several to do from this beautiful weekend we had in Colorado!

Wow - I hate it. You can't search by cache name anymore?

I'm trying to find a cache I visited today, so now I have to bring up the map and search for it on the map or type in the location coordinates near it to find it?

It actually is possible to search for cache names, it just has to be limited to US/German states or Countries with each search.

If you want to find a cache by it's name in New Jersey, then you can click here: https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?kw=line&r=31

This is a search for caches in NJ with "line" in the cache name. Just click "Change Filters" and replace "line" with the word you are searching for (in the 'Geocache Name Contains...' search field)...3rd column, top box. Hopefully that works for you.

I also have to downvote the new "Advanced Search", a name which bears with it a certain amount of irony, as the specification and results in many cases are less flexible than the previous un-advanced on. Kind of like the practice in Congress of calling a bill/act what the writer wants to spin it to rather than what it is...

Enough grousing; specifics:

1. Need to return results from a wider search area (don't limit the number too soon)

2. Need to allow more flexibility in putting in partial cache or user names

3. Not giving cachers the option to use the previous search page/method

4. Not being able to save a particular filter combination (this could be a Premium-only feature)

5. Not being able to find "newest caches X distance from Y". Newest from home used to be on (premium) profile page; I miss it!

There are a couple of filter options that would make its use in the field (as opposed to at a desk) much more helpful:

6. Filter on "Needs Maintenance" attribute (yes, either, no)

7. Filter on "Last Log item is a.." (DNF, Write Note, Owner Maintenance), and allow multiples of those attributes. The "has-corrected-coordinates" option is a step in the right direction.

8. Admittedly this is a Hawaii thing, but would like to search by island within state (not county, these are not 1:1) but for most states a county division would be good

Anyway, I'd chalk most of the complaints up to not having enough field or play-testing but I suspect that most folks tried it during the beta period and didn't like it, then assumed it wouldn't be made the default search without an alternative. That's where I stood, up until this last weekend when I had to use the new search in an actual field situation. Coding PQs in the woods is not as easy as it sounds...

Cache On!

Donn (the D in Team ADmuk)

Edited by admuk

After trying to use the advanced search again, I must say that although there are a few functions worth a nod, overall a BIG thumbs down. The new search needs some serious reworking. I think it broke the Create a Route function too (even worse than it already was broken).

Edited by rcm999

Bring this back:

cc7f0f7a-8370-47c5-8f3f-02866b8f0b4c_l.png

I can not find the latest or the oldest Geocaches in a State.

It's still there:

For the world:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?state_id=1

For Alabama:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?state_id=2

And for Wyoming:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?state_id=51

state_id is alphabetic, Alabama=1, Alaska=2 up to Wyoming=51

Any list of ALL the States IDs?

Also, I have asked somewhere else, but is there a a WHOLE LIST of examples how the URL syntax is written?

I think this is useful for some cacher.

Please add our name to those unhappy with the new search feature.

Searching by state (the entire state) is a search I performed often in the past when planning trips.

I can now only see caches within a 30 mile radius which is useless.

Instead I try to use the full Geocaching Map which is not at all effective since when zoomed out it is hard to distinguish some states from one another.

Finding geocaches shouldn't be this complicated, especially for a Premium Member.

Here is the link that you all have been looking for:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?country_id=0

That will bring up the old Advanced Search page. From there you can select any country and get a list of caches. For the larger countries it will populate the state/province select list so you can find caches in any of the U.S. States, Canadian provinces, German states, and in any of the regions in any of the countries that have been broken down into smaller regions (Italy, France, ...)

It will also give you a select list for searching by keyword, found or hidden by username, gc code, or postal code.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Another problem I have found with the new changes. I have a puzzle cache which required people to view my profile page. Under the picture on my page there was a text which contained a key word for the puzzle. That was removed with the change. Really? with no notification? The old way was much much better

Another problem I have found with the new changes. I have a puzzle cache which required people to view my profile page. Under the picture on my page there was a text which contained a key word for the puzzle. That was removed with the change. Really? with no notification? The old way was much much better

The profile page appearance, including the removal of photos, was announced in an October 2014 update.

So is there any way to search now with a specific address?
Sure. Just select Play > Find a Cache, then enter the address into the search field. You'll get results something like this:

https://www.geocaching.com/play/search/@37.42281,-122.08509?origin=1600+Amphitheatre+Parkway,+Mountain+View,+CA+94043

That is only for city and zip. I want it to be specific down to the address. When I tried using it like you suggested it said "We couldn't recognize that location. Please try again."

The profile page appearance, including the removal of photos, was announced in an October 2014 update.

You can still have personal info and photos on your profile page. You just have to write it in HTML.

Here is the link that you all have been looking for:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?country_id=0

That will bring up the old Advanced Search page. From there you can select any country and get a list of caches. For the larger countries it will populate the state/province select list so you can find caches in any of the U.S. States, Canadian provinces, German states, and in any of the regions in any of the countries that have been broken down into smaller regions (Italy, France, ...)

It will also give you a select list for searching by keyword, found or hidden by username, gc code, or postal code.

Isn't it interesting to have to include the old link for a "new and improved" search system? I think they should have kept it the old way and just included the new off to the right like they did when it was being introduced.

So is there any way to search now with a specific address?
Sure. Just select Play > Find a Cache, then enter the address into the search field. You'll get results something like this:

https://www.geocaching.com/play/search/@37.42281,-122.08509?origin=1600+Amphitheatre+Parkway,+Mountain+View,+CA+94043

That is only for city and zip. I want it to be specific down to the address. When I tried using it like you suggested it said "We couldn't recognize that location. Please try again."
That sounds like a problem with your specific address and/or the geocoding service(s) Groundspeak uses. The example I gave above DOES include a full address.

Please add our name to those unhappy with the new search feature.

Searching by state (the entire state) is a search I performed often in the past when planning trips.

I can now only see caches within a 30 mile radius which is useless.

Instead I try to use the full Geocaching Map which is not at all effective since when zoomed out it is hard to distinguish some states from one another.

Finding geocaches shouldn't be this complicated, especially for a Premium Member.

Searching an entire state is possible for PM's. See the image in post #63 above for instructions on how to accomplish a statewide search. There have been several tips noted in prior posts, so if something else doesn't seem to work then you may want to review the older posts.

Hope that helps.

I just want to start out by saying I HATE it. I'm very low tech and was using the old way just fine. I'm in the middle of trying to find every cache within 50 miles. The new way just lets me do 30 miles :mad: I also like to keep up with all new caches in my state. The old way you just clicked on Texas and wow there they are. I can't figure the new way out at all :mad: I even thinking if I can't use the new search tool what is the use of paying my membership. :mad:

I agree. I HATE it too. Why can't they make this an option. Only 30 miles?! Booo. I used the 200 mile

range all the time.

I used to just float around. Europe, Africa, America, Asia... all just big potential places to find caches. Sometimes I found nice patterns or interesting paths with caches along. Now, with that stupid 30 miles, that is impossible. Why does Geocaching even have to limit the search by state lines and things like that.

Searches without limits were also helpful when going on long hikes. You could follow the planed paths and jus look whether caches turned up along the way. Thats gone now.

I used to just float around. Europe, Africa, America, Asia... all just big potential places to find caches. Sometimes I found nice patterns or interesting paths with caches along. Now, with that stupid 30 miles, that is impossible. Why does Geocaching even have to limit the search by state lines and things like that.

Searches without limits were also helpful when going on long hikes. You could follow the planed paths and jus look whether caches turned up along the way. Thats gone now.

It not impossible to cruise around the map. You can still that by going to "Play --> View Geocache Map" (see image below), and once you get to the map then you can enter a location in the search box that's on the left of that map screen.

MapView.png