The new search

dakich

Play > Find a Cache

(don't enter anything into the location field)

Change Filters

(enter the country in the "Search Only In..." field)

Update Search

Countries with a lot of caches (e.g., USA and Germany) cannot be searched directly. Instead, you have to search by the individual state/province.

Help, I can't search for the name of a cache. When I enter the cachename in the search field, the response is: "We couldn't recognize that location. Please try again."

When I open the filter and use "Geocache Name Contains ..." and copy the name of a cache wihich is just around the corner into this filed the response is:

Oh no, a DNF! We couldn't find any geocaches that matched your search. Here are a few things to try:

• Clear individual filters by clicking the 'X' next to the filters listed above

• Adjust your filters and search again

For me, name searching is not working

Edited by Mausebiber

I just searched for the name of a cache successfully. I entered the city and state where the cache is located, clicked "Add Filters", entered a couple words in "Geocache Name Contains ...", and clicked "Search". The list showed both the cache I was expecting and another one that included the same words in its name.

Help, I can't search for the name of a cache. When I enter the cachename in the search field, the response is: "We couldn't recognize that location. Please try again."

When I open the filter and use "Geocache Name Contains ..." and copy the name of a cache wihich is just around the corner into this filed the response is:

Oh no, a DNF! We couldn't find any geocaches that matched your search. Here are a few things to try:

• Clear individual filters by clicking the 'X' next to the filters listed above

• Adjust your filters and search again

For me, name searching is not working

Hi Mausebiber, maybe the image below will help. Make sure to leave the box on the main Search screen blank, then click on "Add Filters". Then enter the partial cache name and the state where you're searching, since you're in Germany and not New Zealand. Still not ideal that the search can't be for a larger region than just US/German States or other countries, but at least it's not a 30mi/50km radius. I tried a cache name search for Hamburg was able to get results. Good luck!

newzealand.png

Before when i click on search in a country : I can see all caches there and the new one... now i can`t

I just did a search for Bulgaria and got 1545 caches. That the country where your caches are hidden, so I'm assuming that's the country you're trying to search in? The only filter I applied was the Regional filter...the box in the lower-right corner of the image in my post above. Does that not work for you? What I'm learning from the new search functionality is to just leave the search box on the main screen blank, and apply all the search criteria after clicking "add filters".

Or, I just use the method I used before and pan/zoom to where I'm interested in...

MapView.png

I can't understand why this site gets jacked around so much....this new search is so awful.

I'm trying to follow the instructions shown above for finding events, and it won't work. It keeps saying it won't search without a radius, but the radius only goes to 30 miles.

I'm so frustrated, please help!

I can't understand why this site gets jacked around so much....this new search is so awful.

I'm trying to follow the instructions shown above for finding events, and it won't work. It keeps saying it won't search without a radius, but the radius only goes to 30 miles.

I'm so frustrated, please help!

This link should show you all Events in Michigan. I used the same selections as in my earlier post (with image)...but with Michigan in the "Search Only In..." box (instead of New Zealand). Not sure why it's not working for you. Maybe something was entered into the earlier Search box. Could try restarting the Search page by clicking "Play --> Find a Cache" again and starting over.

Once the search results appear, you can then show them on a map. Hope this helps.

I have to admit that the new search is a bit confusing to me at this stage, especially how the caches displayed on the search seem to take up the whole screen.

I found the previous system easier to use, but then I had been using it since I started geocaching! :lol:

I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, but for now I might just stick to using the maps function instead to search for caches!

I'm not too interested in using the filter function as I always have a look at the full listing for the cache to decide if I want to search for it or not!

There aren't too many caches close by anyway that I have not already found so I tend to search for any cache I can get to!