Possible bug in new Advanced Search

Gill & Tony

I just tried one of the standard searches (all in NSW sorted by Favourite points - the rightmost of the three)

That worked fine, but when I clicked "Change Filters" and then clicked the "Not found by me" button it came back and said 'Gill & Tony' is not a valid user name. Also happened with "Not owned by me" as well.

Cheers

Tony

I experienced the same thing, when attempting an advanced search. There is a cache within 10 miles of my home, with the cache name of Mondo Condo. I tried to search on my android phone by the word Mondo and came up with DNF. So, I decided to try the same thing on my computer (searching only by name and making no other selection on the advanced page)...same outcome. So, I tried to refine my search by adding a few more parameters. The moment I selected "I haven't found", it said that my user name Mama<3Bear was not a valid user name. I received the same message when I selected "I own". All other selections were not an issue. My guess may be that the symbols are an issue as with the two previous posters. Each time, I cleared the filters to start over. Then I thought maybe the issue was that I hadn't shared my home location. So, I closed the advanced search window and went back to the search page and clicked on the arrow in the search window to "use my location". After playing around a lot with the new search engine, the three search catagories "Home coordinates", "Current Location", and "Top-Rated Geocaches..." work fine. It's just the advanced page that seems to still have a few bugs that need to be worked out.

So, after all this, I guess the one item that needs to be resolved is to accept all registered user names. That way, I will be able to fully utilize the advanced search engine.

(note-I was finally able to find the Mondo Condo cache via the advanced search. I entered "Mondo" in "Geocache name contains" and did have to narrow it down to searching only in New Hampshire.)

I experienced the same thing, when attempting an advanced search. There is a cache within 10 miles of my home, with the cache name of Mondo Condo. I tried to search on my android phone by the word Mondo and came up with DNF. So, I decided to try the same thing on my computer (searching only by name and making no other selection on the advanced page)...same outcome. So, I tried to refine my search by adding a few more parameters. The moment I selected "I haven't found", it said that my user name Mama<3Bear was not a valid user name. I received the same message when I selected "I own". All other selections were not an issue. My guess may be that the symbols are an issue as with the two previous posters. Each time, I cleared the filters to start over. Then I thought maybe the issue was that I hadn't shared my home location. So, I closed the advanced search window and went back to the search page and clicked on the arrow in the search window to "use my location". After playing around a lot with the new search engine, the three search catagories "Home coordinates", "Current Location", and "Top-Rated Geocaches..." work fine. It's just the advanced page that seems to still have a few bugs that need to be worked out.

So, after all this, I guess the one item that needs to be resolved is to accept all registered user names. That way, I will be able to fully utilize the advanced search engine.

(note-I was finally able to find the Mondo Condo cache via the advanced search. I entered "Mondo" in "Geocache name contains" and did have to narrow it down to searching only in New Hampshire.)

There a couple of issues here. One is more of a "documentation" issue (a new search interface was released without sufficient information on how to use it) and other might be a bug.

The issue of searching by cache name (note that you now can search for terms within a cache title, not just for a cache title which starts with a string) without a location came up during the sneak peak. If you use the cache name filter,you need to either specify a location in the search form or use the "Search only in" filter and select a location from the list.

It sounds like there may be a bug in a failure to encode entities when constructing the URL and adding "I haven't found" or "I have found".

I just tried one of the standard searches (all in NSW sorted by Favourite points - the rightmost of the three)

That worked fine, but when I clicked "Change Filters" and then clicked the "Not found by me" button it came back and said 'Gill & Tony' is not a valid user name. Also happened with "Not owned by me" as well.

Cheers

Tony

Hi, Tony. Thanks for reporting your issue. We released a couple updates this afternoon, including a fix for this bug. Please report back if you continue to see the same problem.