New Find / Hide solution

Johnny Rango

You have got to be kidding me. I just needed to view a specific cache, pasted the GC number into the new "Find" cache search bar and GAH! Why is it that Groundspeak feels so compelled to turn the site into a caching for dummies graphics orgy. I just cannot even begin to express my disgust with the changes to the site over the past several months. I get it, it's your site, you hold the cards you can do what ever you darn well please but the does not make it good or more usable. For once, I wish you would make a test site where your paying members could try it out for a while and provide valid feedback without having to wait to after you've sprung it on us with no consideration to what we think or how we are really using the features. In this instance I don't care about any of the other caches listed. I just wanted the ONE cache I already had the GC code for. Instead I get a full screen of information I now have to look at and decide if the cache I wanted is really the one at the top of the list. Just so much unnecessary information when I knew exactly what I wanted.

Sorry for the rant but really, someone has to start telling you exactly what we think about this gibberish.

Edited by Johnny Rango

For once, I wish you would make a test site where your paying members could try it out for a while and provide valid feedback without having to wait to after you've sprung it on us with no consideration to what we think or how we are really using the features.

In fact, this time they DID give premium members a preview of the feature before rolling it out to everyone. It was fairly unprecedented. They gave us about 1.5 months to play with and abuse it, and a number of changes were made based on the feedback they received. A forum discussion with some of the feedback can be found here.

In this instance I don't care about any of the other caches listed. I just wanted the ONE cache I already had the GC code for. Instead I get a full screen of information I now have to look at and decide if the cache I wanted is really the one at the top of the list. Just so much unnecessary information when I knew exactly what I wanted.

For your use-case, I agree that the new tool isn't the right tool. A dedicated search box in the menubar of every page has been requested by many and would be the best solution (some browser add-ons already add this), but in the meantime you can use the search box on the front page to get to a cache listing from its GC code.

In this instance I don't care about any of the other caches listed. I just wanted the ONE cache I already had the GC code for. Instead I get a full screen of information I now have to look at and decide if the cache I wanted is really the one at the top of the list. Just so much unnecessary information when I knew exactly what I wanted.

In this instance, just use the coord.info web link for your coded cache: http://coord.info/GCxxxx (whatever the GC code is). It'll take you directly to the cache. :)

I agree this new interface quite convoluted and takes many more key clicks. At least Google Maps lets you choose and keep the old interface if you prefer (which I do because the new one loses a coordinate marker if you change the map view.) Even my phone lets me choose between a "regular" and an "easy" interface. Trying to print a list of results is much less environmentally-friendly and uses much more paper. Don't get me wrong because I like the new features such as the ability to search with a combination of factors such as "Hidden by" and using a keyword in the Geocache Name field and other new features such as searching for a range within the D/T fields, but please let us select what interface we want in the Preferences or give us a button to click to go back to the previous interface. Thanks.

Edited by pcl_el_hefe

In this instance, just use the coord.info web link for your coded cache: http://coord.info/GCxxxx (whatever the GC code is). It'll take you directly to the cache. :)

When I want to see a specific cache listing and already know the GC code I just bring up a recently viewed cache listing and replace everything after http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/ in the URL with the GC code.

For example, if I am on the cache page for The Spot the URL in my browser will show as:

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC39_the-spot

and if I replace GC39_the-spot with GC30 and hit enter it will take me to the page for Mingo.

The way the new search works is that it's going to take what's you've entered into the Search box, geocode it to establish a set of lat/long coordinates then use that as a center point for a proximity search. When I have entered a GC code in the search box it's almost always because I want to see what other caches are near a specific cache, or more accurately, near the location of a specific cache. Because the search is conducted using the coordinates, using a GC code will always show that cache at the top of the list. It just takes one additional click to view that cache listing.

I hadn't realized that the new search interface went live. I have a couple of gripes about it but I'm not sure if I should post them here or start a thread with a more descriptive title.

I hadn't realized that the new search interface went live. I have a couple of gripes about it but I'm not sure if I should post them here or start a thread with a more descriptive title.

Release Notes - March 11, 2015

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=330358

Do I need to look back at my emails from Groundspeak to find out when the sneak peek at the new search function was released? Or when the survey was requested to be completed by the PM's who had the ability to use/test the sneak peek?

Here's the forum thread, dated January 28th:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=329410

It's 5 pages long now. People started talking about the survey that was sent out on page 3.

Sorry for the rant but really, someone has to start telling you exactly what we think about this gibberish.

The one time GS actually gives us a heads-up, plenty of time and opportunity to try something out, AND requests our input...and you're complaining NOW?

Where have you folks been?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I'm also confused by this new search.

Before I could easily find all the caches in a specific country, is it possible now? The search that gave the result like this - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?country_id=111

The link still works, and I can change country by changing the number in the link, but then i would need to know all the numbers...

Now i want to find caches in Iran, for example but i cannot do it! If i put "Iran" in the new search, it does not find anything!

Before I could easily find all the caches in a specific country, is it possible now? The search that gave the result like this - http://www.geocachin...?country_id=111

The link still works, and I can change country by changing the number in the link, but then i would need to know all the numbers...

Now i want to find caches in Iran, for example but i cannot do it! If i put "Iran" in the new search, it does not find anything!

Avoid entering an origin and instead add Iran to the filter for region, like so:

https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?c=96

If you're so experienced and don't need geocaching for dummies, then you should know about coord.info/whateverGCcode Also making it easier for new users helps them stay, and pay. That's how they get more money, so while you may not like it, that doesn't mean it's bad or there's not a good reason for it.

Before I could easily find all the caches in a specific country, is it possible now? The search that gave the result like this - http://www.geocachin...?country_id=111

There's going to be a learning curve for the new search and this is an area that caused confusion during the "sneak peak".

The main search box basically geocodes a "place name" to a set of lat/long coordinates and uses those coordinates as a proximity search. A proximity search is basically "show me a list of caches within proximity of a specific waypoint". It accepts a "city, state" (the more specific, the better), a GC code, "Home", or you can enter lat/long coordinates directly. If you enter something like "Iran", it's not specific enough for the geocoding service to provide a set of lat/long coordinates. Oddly, it recognizes "Mexico" and shows results in Mexico, the country, even though there is a Mexico, NY not all that far from me. I'm not sure why Iran doesn't work but Iraq does. The gist is that if you enter something that isn't specific the geocoding service is going to make a guess. For example, if I enter "Springfield" I see a list of caches in Springfield, Missouri even though there are lots of places named Springfield.

When you use Filters there are a few than can be used *without* entering something in the search box. The "Search Only in" filter allows you to select a Country/State/Province (for the U.S. you must specify a state) and will auto-suggest possible locations. Start typing C-A-N and Canada as well as the list of provinces will be displayed. This works similar to the old "Search by State" or "Search by Country" select lists. Essentially, it will return a list of cache which have a specify countryID or stateID (e.g. the countryID for Iran is 96).

You can also select "yes" for "Has corrected coordinates" or "Has Personal Geocache Note" without anything in the search box and you'll get a list of *all* caches for which you've added corrected coordinates or a personal note.

One of the big improvements, and this was implemented after getting some feedback from the sneak peak, is that if you don't enter something in the search box, and use the "Search Only in" filter (or those two others) it will use your home coordinates, if available, for ordering the results and will display the distance from your home location. For example, type "challenge" in the cache name field and select "Canada: Ontario" and it will show you caches with "Challenge" in the title in Ontario, Canada nearest to your home location.

Avoid entering an origin and instead add Iran to the filter for region, like so:

https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?c=96

This only works for premium members.

Is there a way to search the "old" way too? I used to like to search by state and see all the events for a particular state listed first.

Yes. Select "Add Filters" without entering anything in the search box. Select your location in the "Search only in". If you only want to see events you can select that from the Cache types filter. The results will initially be sorted by proximity to your home location but clicking on the placed by column header will sort the results with events (because the published date is in the future) at the top. The ability to toggle in between results sorted by placed date and proximity to your home location is something that you could not do the "old way".

I'm having trouble just searching for state wide caches. I put Indiana in the search box on the main page and end up with 66 caches. I know there are more than that! I tried Add Filter and clear filters but that didn't help. Then I tried searching within Indiana from the filters box. But from there it only let me search within a 30 mile radius. Not sure it's me or the new system but right now it's not working. :(

Edited by Rooski22

Can anyone tell me how to list out all recent Finds by A Cacher's username? In the old Search screen it used to be directly above the "Hidden By" username search. It used to be called "Found By" username. So I could enter my own Cacher-name and get a list of all my recent Finds (or that of a friend).

I'm having trouble just searching for state wide caches. I put Indiana in the search box on the main page and end up with 66 caches. I know there are more than that! I tried Add Filter and clear filters but that didn't help. Then I tried searching within Indiana from the filters box. But from there it only let me search within a 30 mile radius. Not sure it's me or the new system but right now it's not working. :(

It's working but just not the way you expect. When you put Indiana in the search box it will be geocoded to the "center point of Indiana", which, as it turns out only has 66 caches within that center point. Try putting in Georgia and you'll only see 4 caches. That's probably confused a few people that live in Atlanta.

If you're looking for caches "state wide" then don't enter something in the search box as it's going to enforce the proximity limit. Instead, select Indiana (United States: Indiana) from the "Search Only In" filter. That's going give you all caches which have the state id for Indiana.

Is there a way to search for caches with a particular name or word in the title, without entering a location??? That would be handy.

No. You need to specify a location, even if that location is an entire country. Several people have asked to be able to do what you're asking but I still don't understand how being able to find caches that include a specific name every where in the world would be handy.

Can anyone tell me how to list out all recent Finds by A Cacher's username? In the old Search screen it used to be directly above the "Hidden By" username search. It used to be called "Found By" username. So I could enter my own Cacher-name and get a list of all my recent Finds (or that of a friend).

A few people have mentioned that a missing "Found By" filter. I suspect that it's something they'll consider adding as in one of these threads Moun10bike mentioned something that could be added to the URL to provide that functionality. If the backend code recognizes that parameter it's just matter of adding a form element that will add it the the URL using the UI.

No. You need to specify a location, even if that location is an entire country. Several people have asked to be able to do what you're asking but I still don't understand how being able to find caches that include a specific name every where in the world would be handy.

Maybe I can help you to understand: If you prepare a cache and you need some keywords to appear in the names of caches, this might be a reason to search "world wide". Yes, I know this is VERY special case, but it does exist ;)

... but it must not be the entire world. It's not possible to search "all united states" or "all germany" neither. It has to be by "region" in these countries. But if I want to find all caches containing a certain "key word" in its name, this is not possible but for one "region" within a big country at a time (instead of "big country" it might be better to say "a country with a huge amount of hidden caches").

Here in Germany we have such "series" where the caches are spread over the whole country. To prepare a trip to all these caches I have to "search" 16 times in Germany (would be 50 times in the US).

Just as a reminder: The "beginning with" option of the old search was already a degradation of search functionality compared to even older options existing before. When I started in 2004 is was a "containing a certain fragment of a string" search before. This was taken away many years ago due to "performance issues". I was waiting to get this back for a long time but it never came back. Now we have the "new search" and it's still not back :( . It's only back within "regions".

I'm still not sure I'm doing it wrong or the new search techniques are at fault. Say I want to find a cache I think we've done and know it's in Indiana. All I remember is it has the name Rachel in it. Tried all variations of searching and got nothing. Got the name from someone and did a search for Remembering Rachel in Indiana and got nothing. Found out it was near Waldron, Indiana and put that in the main search box and finally got a hit. Before I could just put Rachel in the name of the cache and just about anything with that name would pop up.

Here is the search for all caches in Indiana with "Rachel" in the name: https://www.geocachi...?kw=rachel&r=15

Thanks! Like I said ... it could just be me and it was.

It's not just you.

If you go to that link that Keystone provided you'll see that nothing was entered in the search box. Click on the Change Filters button and you'll see that he entered "United States: Indiana" in the "Search only in" field and "Rachel" in the cache name contains field.

I am assuming that you typed Indiana into the main search form then went the the filters to add Rachel. That created a center point near Kokomo. What you wanted was to find caches by name within a "region" and that's what the "Search only in" filter lets you do.

Maybe I can help you to understand: If you prepare a cache and you need some keywords to appear in the names of caches, this might be a reason to search "world wide". Yes, I know this is VERY special case, but it does exist ;)

Oh, I understand it quite well. You want the search interface to help caches for the "special case" of completing a challenge. I hope that "helping geocachers complete challenges" is *way* down on the list of requirements for the search engine design. Frankly, I really don't like the idea of these sort of special cases driving the design and feature set for a search engine.

... but it must not be the entire world. It's not possible to search "all united states" or "all germany" neither. It has to be by "region" in these countries. But if I want to find all caches containing a certain "key word" in its name, this is not possible but for one "region" within a big country at a time (instead of "big country" it might be better to say "a country with a huge amount of hidden caches").

Here in Germany we have such "series" where the caches are spread over the whole country. To prepare a trip to all these caches I have to "search" 16 times in Germany (would be 50 times in the US).

Unfortunately (or perhaps not, depending our your perspective), you and I happen to live in the two countries with the large number of caches and their several orders of magnitude more than 99% of the countries in the world and GS felt that being able to do a search over all the caches in the U.S. or Germany would create too much of a performance hit. Maybe that's the price we have to pay for living in the two countries that have more caches than anyone else. BTW, I just went over to project-gc to look at something and saw the following:

"Due to load issues on Groundspeak's servers, they have temporarily turned off API access for Project-GC. We can therefore not authenticate any users who are not already authenticated. Also some functions at Project-GC might not work as expected."

I don't know if these load issues are related to the new search interface but it illustrates that performance is something that has to be considered and balanced with functionality.

Just as a reminder: The "beginning with" option of the old search was already a degradation of search functionality compared to even older options existing before. When I started in 2004 is was a "containing a certain fragment of a string" search before. This was taken away many years ago due to "performance issues". I was waiting to get this back for a long time but it never came back. Now we have the "new search" and it's still not back :( . It's only back within "regions".

I understand that as well and frequently called GS to task for their "broken" search engine. I would suspect, however, that for most cases, being able to search for strings within a cache name in a region is more useful than being able to search for all caches in the world with a name which "starts with" a specific string.

As I said I understand search engines, discovery and access quite well. I'm a programmer and systems architect for a large research library. Modern research libraries are all about discovery and access and I don't just develop systems for our own library system but consult with other research libraries from the very large (i.e. I'll be meeting with developers at the National Agriculture Library, the largest Agriculture library in the world, a couple of weeks from now) to the very small (e.g. a library in Costa Rica that uses a single, very old PC, for patrons to search their collection..because they have no internet access).

You want the search interface to help caches for the "special case" of completing a challenge. I hope that "helping geocachers complete challenges" is *way* down on the list of requirements for the search engine design. Frankly, I really don't like the idea of these sort of special cases driving the design and feature set for a search engine.

There are other situations where one wants to find caches within a certain name in a larger radius than 50km.

For example to avoid confusion when naming a new cache. For that purpose the search "starts with" is sufficient in many cases but

that does not help as the new search tool does not offer this search at all (apart from the fact that the new tool allows searches for cache names only to premium members).

I am assuming that you typed Indiana into the main search form then went the the filters to add Rachel. That created a center point near Kokomo. What you wanted was to find caches by name within a "region" and that's what the "Search only in" filter lets you do.

And herein lies the problem. That's most unintuitive.

The functionality appears to be (mostly) there, but if the only way to learn that is to visit these forums, then the interface design is a failure.

Given the number of people being tripped up by this, I can only hope that this will be first in line for a fix....

I am having Problems finding a series of caches i.e. the Cache Across America... and a series called trail to insanity. Is there a way to do this easily? I am also wanting to find out how to find caches in a given county. I live in a state with 246 of them and it would be very helpful to be able to search by county. I am not happy with the current search configuration. It is not user friendly. I would like to see it scrubbed and taken back to the old format. It is my opinion that if people have to figure out how to use the website then there will be far fewer new members.

I am having Problems finding a series of caches i.e. the Cache Across America... and a series called trail to insanity. Is there a way to do this easily?

geocaching.com has moved from a database with a search engine to... a database.

The search engine is now found at project-gc.com.

Try: http://project-gc.com/?wildsearch=cache%20across%20america

(Yes, I'm admitting defeat, and joining those who advocate using external tools. I've come to the conclusion that the website www.geocaching.com is never going to be truly usable again.)