Release Notes (Website: New Search) - March 11, 2015

What about the fact that when I copy a cache name and paste it into the search it comes up with nothing found? Where is the old way where I can go down the list of caches putting them in my GPSr without opening each page? So far I am very unimpressed with this "new" search.

AGREED the new search feature seems to not beable to find much of what Im looking for namely GEOACHES by name!

Searching by cache name seems to be a frequent question in these forums and has been addressed a few times, in multiple topics. The new search does enable searching for a cache name (or partial name). The limitation is that each search is limited by country or state (US/Germany). The image below, from an earlier post, may help. The key is to leave the main search box and the distance box blank, and then enter a country or US/German state into the "Search Only In..." box. Once you start typing a country/state, then a drop-down will appear and you select the country/state from there.

This link (https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?kw=name&r=35) will give you all caches in North Dakota with 'name' in the cache name. If this works for you, then you can click on "Change Filters" and replace "name" with whatever cache name what you're interested in for your own search.

Hope this helps.

newzealand.png

I am not able to get a search to properly sort by date placed. It will not put them in ascending or descending order. It looks good for the first 15 then it is all over the place! Help!! Did they put a limit on how many caches you can look at in a search?

Is this issue happening after you've clicked on the "Placed On" column name in the search results view? Maybe this image will help explain what's needed:

SearchSorting.png

Also, Iphone/Ipad new app download keeps crashing and when not crashing, I have to resign in every time I open the app???

You may want to start a new topic for this issue.

Open the control panel at the left hand side of the Geocaching Map -- look for the little arrow halfway down, and when you hover your mouse over it, the arrow says "toggle side panel" -- do that. There, you can filter on cache types, filter out your finds AND... to answer your question... you can enter another location in the map's search bar. I travel a lot, and just enter what I know in the search box -- a city, a park name, etc. I am traveling to Israel in two months. Yesterday I found out that one of our overnight stops will be at a resort on the shore of the Dead Sea, and I bet there were some earthcaches there. So, I typed "Dead Sea" in the search box, nothing else, and it zoomed right to the traditional cache nearest to my hotel. There's an earthcache right AT the hotel!

I love it when that happens. I have on more than a couple of occasions chosen the hotel where I might stay based on the proximity of one of the few caches in the area.

I have mentioned this before but one of the unexplainable features of the new search interface is that the "Map these Results" link takes you to the map but adds a parameter to the URL that removes the ability to see or toggle the side panel.

I posted this in a couple of other places where the new search engine is being discussed but since the question has come up frequently in this thread as well I think it might reduce the angst expressed so far about the new search engine. Note, I'm not advocating the everyone should just use this instead of the new search but consider it a workaround as the new search engine continues to be improved.

Here is the link that you all have been looking for:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?country_id=0

That will bring up the old Advanced Search page. From there you can select any country and get a list of caches. For the larger countries it will populate the state/province select list so you can find caches in any of the U.S. States, Canadian provinces, German states, and in any of the regions in any of the countries that have been broken down into smaller regions (Italy, France, ...)

It will also give you a select list for searching by keyword, found or hidden by username, gc code, or postal code.

Once you've opened any cache listing (from the map or otherwise), you only need to click on the link to show all nearby caches in order to get the "old style" list of cache search results. There's no need to copy and paste coordinates, etc.

Hi Keystone,

Which link am I clicking on after I've opened up a cache listing in order to open up the old style list of results? I think this could be very helpful for me.

In an attempt to add some new features you have taken away some of the features I find most useful. I can no longer search by State and see all the newest caches. I also used the State search to see all upcoming Events. Now I can't find all the events in my State. Bring back the old search capability and make the new stuff an additional option. It has made everything much worse for me. I don't like it at all!

The types of searches you mention are possible if you omit an origin and instead add a filter for the region you want to search on. For example, use this query for the newest caches in Massachusetts:

https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?r=22&sort=PlaceDate&asc=False

When I click on your link it works. When I try to run it myself it reverts to all caches closest to my home location and not just newest, but all out there. Why?

In an attempt to add some new features you have taken away some of the features I find most useful. I can no longer search by State and see all the newest caches. I also used the State search to see all upcoming Events. Now I can't find all the events in my State. Bring back the old search capability and make the new stuff an additional option. It has made everything much worse for me. I don't like it at all!

The types of searches you mention are possible if you omit an origin and instead add a filter for the region you want to search on. For example, use this query for the newest caches in Massachusetts:

Strange this query does not produce anything for me.

I think I might know why. It's due to this little blurb in the newsletter I just received:

Add more features like filters and sorting in the new search by upgrading to Geocaching Premium.

If I'm reading that correctly, the new search is effectively neutered for basic members. The link above uses both filters and sorting, and you're now a basic member, so that's probably why it doesn't work.

Boy, without the filters, the new search in its current state is next to useless for basic members (all they can do is a 30 mile/50 km radius search for all caches around a point). I had no idea they were going to do that. <_<

Edit: Whoops, cross-posted.

I've been a premium member for more than a decade.

When I click on your link it works. When I try to run it myself it reverts to all caches closest to my home location and not just newest, but all out there. Why?
Did you click on the "Placed On" heading to sort the results by dates the caches were placed? By default, they're sorted by distance from your home location.

Can someone make a list of all the work-arounds and alternate ways (like those provided by Keystone and others) to get the desired search results and put it in one location? Frustrated users need some way to get results while we wait for a set of instructions for the new search feature.....or just let us revert back to the old search page.

Having caught up on this discussion after being away for a few days and seeing the continued frustration from users, I've decided my number one priority this evening will be just that. I'll go through all the discussions and compile a list of instructions for how to perform various searches using both the new tool and the still-existing workarounds.

I'll post a link here when I'm done (I'll also add it to my signature).

Can someone make a list of all the work-arounds and alternate ways (like those provided by Keystone and others) to get the desired search results and put it in one location? Frustrated users need some way to get results while we wait for a set of instructions for the new search feature.....or just let us revert back to the old search page.

Having caught up on this discussion after being away for a few days and seeing the continued frustration from users, I've decided my number one priority this evening will be just that. I'll go through all the discussions and compile a list of instructions for how to perform various searches using both the new tool and the still-existing workarounds.

Do you keep basic members in mind?

Yes, I'll note which search methods can be used by basic members and which require a premium membership.

My geo-partner just called this new 'advance' search 'The Most R-word Search Filter she's ever seen. ( :D )

I can't fault her for that. I watched for almost 30 minutes while she tried to find just events in So Calif using the new, improved advanced search feature. ... UNsuccessfully. She finally gave up in disgust and walked away. I didn't say or add a word (I'm no fool) while I watched the frustration build. (other than a quiet snicker under my breath). Wouldn't have helped anyway ... since I couldn't do it either. <_<

After calming down, she finally said 'screw this' and went to the event page and searched through the dates.

The few things I've tried (mostly UNsuccessful) have not convinced me I should enroll in a 4-year tech school to get a degree in 'Associate in Geeking' in order to use it.

I WILL find other ways, even it means using 10 times the GS resources I would have used in the past.

I can't get past having to decide WHEN to leave certain fields and data bars empty, mostly by useless trial and error. This is without a doubt, the ONLY kind of online form I have had the displeasure of using when the term 'clear filter' means 'add everything back in as default' after I spent time un-checking it all.

The front page of the Advanced Search says: "Search the millions of geocaches worldwide" ... heck, I can't even find a few near me ... :blink:

This reminds me of the end scene of The Bridge Over the River Kwai ... "The dazed colonel stumbles towards the detonator and collapses on the plunger, just in time to blow up the bridge and send the train hurtling into the river below. Witnessing the carnage, Clipton shakes his head uttering, "Madness! ... Madness!""

Edited by nevadanick

Yes, I'll note which search methods can be used by basic members and which require a premium membership.

Cool!

Lackies, what is up with the new home page? Where is the old "Play->Find a Cache" option?

Before, I could click on Play, Find a Cache, and enter the cache title, and be presented with all the caches of that name.

There does not appear to be any way to do that now. If I click on "Add a filter", and type in the cache title in the "Geocache Name Contains..." field, it says "Oh no, a DNF!"

The only way to get it to work is to add "United States: California" into the "Search Only In..." field.

Before, I typed in just the cache name, and it worked fine. Now, I have to go to three different screens, and type in more information! This should be getting easier, not harder!

Please make the old search page available again.

Lackies, what is up with the new home page? Where is the old "Play->Find a Cache" option?

Before, I could click on Play, Find a Cache, and enter the cache title, and be presented with all the caches of that name.

There does not appear to be any way to do that now. If I click on "Add a filter", and type in the cache title in the "Geocache Name Contains..." field, it says "Oh no, a DNF!"

The only way to get it to work is to add "United States: California" into the "Search Only In..." field.

Before, I typed in just the cache name, and it worked fine. Now, I have to go to three different screens, and type in more information! This should be getting easier, not harder!

I don't mind paying for a membership for something that I like to enjoy and I use to forget about those military deployments, It used work fine, Now it is much more work and a small amount of information in return. I like the way it was with the full state list. how do I know if theres new caches 100 miles from me if my search only allows me to search for a maximum of 30 milesat a time. To just search for 30 miles is a waste of time. if they don't bring the old way back I won't be renewing my membership in this coming May.

We were not able to search for caches in advance of our weekend road trip, but luckily we had put a pi day event on our watch list that was 100+ miles from home so all was not lost.

Also on our watch list is an out of state event 5 hours from home that we plan to attend in April, plus a few megas.

The frustration continues. Only 30 mile search radius? Convoluted stacked filtration? Arrrrg :-)

Open the control panel at the left hand side of the Geocaching Map -- look for the little arrow halfway down, and when you hover your mouse over it, the arrow says "toggle side panel" -- do that. There, you can filter on cache types, filter out your finds AND... to answer your question... you can enter another location in the map's search bar.

I looked for that left-hand pull-out panel, too, but it was missing. But... maybe it's only missing from search results map? Making those two separate maps seems like adding a complication to their code, too.

So it seems that they've added a step. Instead of just searching and moving around the map from there, you have to go to View Geocaching map, THEN search, and then move around the map. I just love when the process is made MORE complicated by "upgrades."

I know, I'll get used to it...

The frustration continues. Only 30 mile search radius? Convoluted stacked filtration? Arrrrg :-)

Oh, good, I'm glad it's not just me being "thick." That's not usually something I'm accused of, but I guess it happens sometimes.

I'll try to contain my frustration. Or quit using the website, and learn to do everything with my (un-named) Android app. Probably not what they were hoping when they "fixed" the website...

I think the amount of layperson (not an insult) knowledge regarding use of the website just goes to show how many users are either A] not tech savvy or B] were completely satisfied with simple uses. While the new search is technically and potentially more flexible and powerful, it came from a top-down usability pyramid: one basic catch-all use, with the added options (advanced, and premium only) to hone the results as you see fit - very different from the inverse pyramid with an assortment of pre-determined (and hidden) search parameters only focusing on a certain type of search (newest local, unfound, events within a state, etc).

The former is more technically advanced and capable and future proof (moreso at least) while the latter is far more user friendly, and definitely easier to use for those who may only want to click once or twice to get exactly what they want via common search types.

And the latter is now missing, unless shortcuts are manually documented and provided for those users who can't/won't/don't care to learn the complexity of the 'advanced' search system.

I'm hoping Groundspeak's silence on this issue means they're cooking up a better solution for the greater userbase...

I echo this comment. I've been geocaching for 11 years, as a premium member. I am also a Boy Scout merit badge counselor for Geocaching merit badge. It used to be super-easy to log a cache by searching for the cache by one of the words in the title. Then, for reasons unknown, those who have the 'infinite wisdom' to make such decisions, apparently decide that a person can only search for the first word or two and not any word in the title. OK, I didn't say anything about that change and just put up with this inconvenience from a few years ago. Now, after a trip to California, I try to log some caches (I live in Colorado) and was really surprised to discover the way to log caches has been totally changed and very inconvenient. Perhaps I misunderstood, but it seems that now the only way to log a cache is ONLY by using the GC code. Really???? Why so complicated??? I use a paper log book (yeah, I don't really care for all of electronic stuff and find it easier for me to track caches on paper) and don't keep track of GC codes. I track the date and the name of the cache. So, now it seems that the only way to log a cache is by GC code and the only way to log a cache is with the GC code. Do those who make these 'infinite wisdom' decisions not do any geoeaching themselves? Why remove the flexibility that used to exist? Why can't we use the name of the cache to log the cache? Why is this site becoming more complicated? To make geocaching truly fun, it would seem to me that it should be made EASIER and not more difficult!!!!

I cannot express how angry and upset and frustrated I am with the changes!!!! I've tried all the tricks people spoke of; I've tried different browswers, I've even tried different computers.

NOTHING.

No matter what I do the search will not work without the '30 miles' I can't leave it blank. Where I live, 30 miles is nothing! Why, oh why in the name of Groundspeak did you make these horrible horrible changes?

I can't find events, I can't even search "Michigan", let alone do any interesting searches for my road trip next week.

This has completely soured me on the sport, it just can't go this way!!

Please, please, please, please, please, bring back the old functionality!!!!!!

I was in the computer industry for almost all my working life (I wrote my first program in 1967) mostly as a programmer and manager of programmers. This is almost certainly the most counterintuitive user interface I have ever seen.

The internet is full of search boxes. Until this appeared, every one of them accepted a search string. Enter what you want to search for and a list of possibilities appears.

At a rough guess 90% of searches using this system require you to leave the search box empty.

My solution? Remove the front page completely. Go straight to the filters page and add an optional location box.

I haven't gotten it all thought through, but that has been my best guess for a while now. People enter something on the first page and then go in to "Add Filters" without realizing that the first page info hosed what they were trying to do by filters.

No matter what I do the search will not work without the '30 miles' I can't leave it blank. Where I live, 30 miles is nothing! Why, oh why in the name of Groundspeak did you make these horrible horrible changes?

I can't find events, I can't even search "Michigan", let alone do any interesting searches for my road trip next week.

Not sure why it's not working for you. Do these work?

If these give you results, then you can click "Change Filters" in the Results page and made adjustments to the filters, then click "Update Search".

If these links don't work, then I'd suggest closing your web browser and re-opening...then trying agin. Maybe your browser is somehow saving the 30-mile preference.

Then why wasn't zip listed on the search bar ? That would of been a simple and people would of seen it.

Im not posting "inaccurate" statements cause if it was "inaccurate" then people wouldn't be flooding your boards with complaints

The ellipsis at the end of the listed examples implies that there are other items that work.

If you cannot be constructive with your comments, then you will removed. Your choice.

I'm sorry, Moun10bike, but I think Redn3ck was trying to make a constructive comment. Perhaps not in the kindest, smoothest way, and you may not like it, but as with most of the criticism you see here, people are taking at least a couple of minutes of their life to let Groundspeak know what they think of things. That is INVALUABLE information if Groundspeak would use it correctly. You (Groundspeak) should be thanking them, not shutting them up. If he's said it ten times, then that should tell you how much it means to him.

I get it that this continual criticism following almost every release . I have been in the business. And you can't please everybody, and most people don't like change. And you need to take it with a grain of salt.

What Redn3ck said there, by the way, WAS accurate. The input box does not mention "zip code". I was able to figure out that the ellipsis meant "etc." but not everybody will. For that matter, not everybody even knows what an "ellipsis" is, much less what it means. :P

Just trying to say, "Lighten up and listen".

And while I'm at it... this might be a good time for Groundspeak to post something about what they are taking out of all of this. Have you been listening, Groundspeak? Please give us some feedback and perhaps people will stop harping on the same thing time and again. Let them know that you are hearing them!

Searching for a cache by name (or partial name) is possible at a State (US/Germany) or Country level.

This post from one of the many topics about the new search functionality includes an image that might be helpful. The image is limiting to New Zealand, but can also be accomplished at a US State level. Once you start typing a state name, then a drop-down list will appear and you'd select your state from that list.

this search should produce all caches in California (state-wide) that have "surfer" in the cache name. If this link works for you, then you can click on "Change Filters" and replace 'surfer' in the "Geocache Name Contains..." box with the cache name you're looking for. This should work for you, since you're a Premium Member.

Hope this helps.

I echo this comment. I've been geocaching for 11 years, as a premium member. I am also a Boy Scout merit badge counselor for Geocaching merit badge. It used to be super-easy to log a cache by searching for the cache by one of the words in the title. Then, for reasons unknown, those who have the 'infinite wisdom' to make such decisions, apparently decide that a person can only search for the first word or two and not any word in the title. OK, I didn't say anything about that change and just put up with this inconvenience from a few years ago. Now, after a trip to California, I try to log some caches (I live in Colorado) and was really surprised to discover the way to log caches has been totally changed and very inconvenient. Perhaps I misunderstood, but it seems that now the only way to log a cache is ONLY by using the GC code. Really???? Why so complicated??? I use a paper log book (yeah, I don't really care for all of electronic stuff and find it easier for me to track caches on paper) and don't keep track of GC codes. I track the date and the name of the cache. So, now it seems that the only way to log a cache is by GC code and the only way to log a cache is with the GC code. Do those who make these 'infinite wisdom' decisions not do any geoeaching themselves? Why remove the flexibility that used to exist? Why can't we use the name of the cache to log the cache? Why is this site becoming more complicated? To make geocaching truly fun, it would seem to me that it should be made EASIER and not more difficult!!!!

I bet no one here started their Caching life as a PM we all started as a basic lets NOT forget our roots.

Actually I was a premium member before searching for a single cache, mind you I had a few beer, I was on the bus and I was bored.

Originally I liked the new search, today i ws out finding a few caches before a PI event and wanted to check on my iPhone when it started, I then saw a note on the cache page that due to the heavy rain they moved it to a nearby shelter and gave a GC code of a cache for coordinate so I hit the search. Not thinking I entered the GC into the main text box and of course got the DNF then I went into the filter and entered the GC code, another DNF, guess I forgot to reset something. At this point I went into the app and used the search there to get me the coordinates of the cache so in my one real life experience with the new search I'd say it's a fail.

When using the website, an easy way to search for a particular GC Code is to go to the homepage (for logged-in users) and enter the GC Code in the search box on the right-hand side of the page.

My point was that I searched for a cache in a way that was natural and made sense to me only to be thwarted and as a result I had to resort to the app to get the info I needed.

I believe this is constructive feedback, I do not need alternative methods, I figured them out, point is, why did I have to?

You have the potential of a great search, there are some nice features, fix, don't defend the shortcomings.

Finally, a Roman! post that I can get behind! Agreed... thanks for the shortcut, but that only helps the few that read the forums. You have been pointed out an intuitive shortcoming in the interface. Take note of it, consider if it is true, thank the poster, fix the problem if it needs fixiing, and move on. If it needs explanation, it needs fixing.

When using the website, an easy way to search for a particular GC Code is to go to the homepage (for logged-in users) and enter the GC Code in the search box on the right-hand side of the page.

My point was that I searched for a cache in a way that was natural and made sense to me only to be thwarted and as a result I had to resort to the app to get the info I needed.

I believe this is constructive feedback, I do not need alternative methods, I figured them out, point is, why did I have to?

You have the potential of a great search, there are some nice features, fix, don't defend the shortcomings.

Well... I wouldn't say he 'defended the shortcomings'. He merely provided an alternative, and not being of the programmer team and being a forum moderator the best he can do is help. Everyone loves to jump on moderators as if they are somehow responsible, a representative of Groundspeak Proper... more than likely a 'power' in this forum that replies is a volunteer forum moderator just trying to help. Whether they agree or disagree with users' opinions on Groundspeak products is irrelevant (and they'll likely not comment on the matter in order to remain neutral) - they're just trying to help as best they can. Keep that in mind! ;)

Good points, but I don't think that "explaining the workarounds" is the point of this thread. This thread is about new features. If it needs a workaround, it needs fixing. Perhaps a "New Search WorkArounds" thread is in order?

What about the fact that when I copy a cache name and paste it into the search it comes up with nothing found? Where is the old way where I can go down the list of caches putting them in my GPSr without opening each page? So far I am very unimpressed with this "new" search.
AGREED the new search feature seems to not beable to find much of what Im looking for namely GEOACHES by name!
The main search field does only one thing: it specifies the center of your search radius. That is the only thing it does. That is what it does with anything that you enter into it.

If you want to do anything else, then leave the main search field blank and click the Add Filters button below it. Then you can enter other search criteria in the form that appears.

You had to explain it. That is a problem.

[snipped]

What Redn3ck said there, by the way, WAS accurate. The input box does not mention "zip code". I was able to figure out that the ellipsis meant "etc." but not everybody will. For that matter, not everybody even knows what an "ellipsis" is, much less what it means. :P

Just trying to say, "Lighten up and listen".

[snipped]

I, for one, have NO idea what an 'ellipsis' is ... and have no intention of finding out .. not even out of pure curiosity.

The more I watch this thread .. the more lost - and disappointed at GS - I become ... :(

Aloha from a small rock in the middle of the Pacific. Since I was referred here by Geocaching HQ Support after my inquiries about the new search feature, figured I would come by. Funny I haven't visited regularly since about the time the "Groundspeak.com" forum went away and TBTB (does that acronym still work in the new world of hashtags and memes?) started referring us to the "Help Center." (Irony any one?)

I'd like to thank those who have already expressed my feelings of frustration about the workings of the new search feature.

I would also like thank those who have found & posted "work arounds." Which begs the question, why to we need to "workaround" the search page to search for a geocache? (Ironic, yes?) I especially like (not) that to find an archived cache (for which I have the GC Code) I must to navigate away from the search page and go the Home Page. Home page, I haven't been there since they stopped posting all those cool geocaching photos...ah memories.

I am reminded of that middle school assignment where everyone has to write instructions for making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The next day the teacher tries to make said sandwich following the directions word for word, hilarity ensues ... Yes s/he knows how to make a sandwich, just not with directions that take for granted you already know most of the steps. We all know how to search for a geocache, we just can't do it with the new search page.

Do we NEED to keep this monstrosity or can we get our old user friendly functionality back? I am asking this as a serious question. I have been caching long enough to remember the days when you couldn't log a cache on a Sunday, the site would slow down and give error messages for hours at a time. All the code got re-written from "hobby" code to grown up geek code. There were changes to website; not everyone was happy, but the changes were necessary so that the site could grow and we could have cool fully functional apps for our smart phones. (Sorry if I am over simplifying, but that's how I remember it...;) ) So is this one of those absolutely needed for the future sorts of changes or is it something that works more efficiently for programmers than for the everyday users?

If it is the former and someone provides a cogent logical explantation for why it is necessary, then I could be patient (as I'm sure would others) while giving suggestions on how to make it better. If it is the latter, then please give us back our old friendly and fully functional search page, or at least go back to the drawing board with more input from users. (I, like may other premium beta-testers, assumed the new search would be IN addition and not instead... (I did dislike enough to fill out the feedback survey, and I dislike surveys almost as much as I dislike the new search page.)

jrr

PS: In surgery they have a saying: better is the enemy of good.

Perhaps a "New Search WorkArounds" thread is in order?

Hang tight. I'm working on consolidating all the workarounds and instructions into one place and will post it in a new discussion tomorrow evening. I've been working on it for a few hours tonight, but it's time to go to bed. :laughing:

I posted earlier that I thought the front page should be bypassed completely. Here's my idea for the new search page. Please note, I'm not an artist, so this will need to be tidied up. It is just a starting point for possible discussion

SearchPage.jpg

The two boxes outlined in red would be drop-down lists of options.

The first would have:

Geocache name contains...

Geocache name starts with...

GCcode is...

(and maybe more)

The second would have

Town...

My Home Location...

My Current Location...

GCcode...

Zip Code...

Of course, it may be better to have separate entries for

US Zip Code...

UK Post Code...

Canadian Post Code...

German, French, Australian, New Zealand etc.

Or maybe even a completely separate box.

Flames, comments, suggestions, additions or amendments welcomed.

Edit - corect spelling

Edited by Gill & Tony

Well... I wouldn't say he 'defended the shortcomings'. He merely provided an alternative, and not being of the programmer team and being a forum moderator the best he can do is help. Everyone loves to jump on moderators as if they are somehow responsible, a representative of Groundspeak Proper... more than likely a 'power' in this forum that replies is a volunteer forum moderator just trying to help. Whether they agree or disagree with users' opinions on Groundspeak products is irrelevant (and they'll likely not comment on the matter in order to remain neutral) - they're just trying to help as best they can. Keep that in mind! ;)

Good points, but I don't think that "explaining the workarounds" is the point of this thread. This thread is about new features. If it needs a workaround, it needs fixing. Perhaps a "New Search WorkArounds" thread is in order?

Of course "explaining the workarounds" isn't the point of the thread. But to rake someone over the rails (or whatever the cliche is) because they tried to provide at least a temporary solution is not necessary.

"It looks like you have a problem. In light of this problem existing, until it gets solved, here's a way to make your life easier..."

Workarounds should always be welcome, especially if they acknowledge that it doesn't solve the problem directly, which still needs solving.

Even that isn't really clear. I didn't know you could search by GC code based on what I see here. Now I do.

b0dd173f-e340-4b3c-8bfc-5dad4274d58e.png

I see now that everyone knows where I live! LOL You're more than welcome to swing by and visit!

Edited by coachstahly
Funny I haven't visited regularly since about the time the "Groundspeak.com" forum went away and TBTB (does that acronym still work in the new world of hashtags and memes?) started referring us to the "Help Center."
For the record, it was the Knowledge Base that was renamed the Help Center, not the forums.

Next question how to make this work!

Late yeasterday I came home with a plane from Luleå. Some minutes before I left Luleå I logged a cache and dropped a TB. When I came home I wanted to logg it to make sure the TB was dropped in.

I searched for Norrbotten, Sweden and made it show the mapp. Zoomed in the airport and looked for the cache. Well, it was not there, it was no geocaches at all close to the airport (the civilian one). I did not have the GC-code or the name for the cache but I know where it was supposed to bee on the map.

So I had to start my GPS and look for the found ones. There I got the GC-code and typed it in. Now I found my searched cache.

From the geocache site I chose to take a look at the Geocaching.com map. Now it was three geocaches in the area where I did not anyone at all when I searced from a geocaching.com map that was opened from the advanced - Search only in. I had both maps of the same area beside eachother and in one a lot of caches missed.

None of the caches was premium member.

It should not be a difference. I a plan a trip, I often take a look at the map and I expect them to show the geocaches in that area. I prefer to start och the state/region level and concentrate in smaller parts after a while.

You have a lot of work to do to get this acceptable.

Late yeasterday I came home with a plane from Luleå. Some minutes before I left Luleå I logged a cache and dropped a TB. When I came home I wanted to logg it to make sure the TB was dropped in.

I searched for Norrbotten, Sweden and made it show the mapp. Zoomed in the airport and looked for the cache. Well, it was not there, it was no geocaches at all close to the airport (the civilian one). I did not have the GC-code or the name for the cache but I know where it was supposed to bee on the map.

So I had to start my GPS and look for the found ones. There I got the GC-code and typed it in. Now I found my searched cache.

From the geocache site I chose to take a look at the Geocaching.com map. Now it was three geocaches in the area where I did not anyone at all when I searced from a geocaching.com map that was opened from the advanced - Search only in. I had both maps of the same area beside eachother and in one a lot of caches missed.

It should not be a difference. I a plan a trip, I often take a look at the map and I expect them to show the geocaches in that area. I prefer to start och the state/region level and concentrate in smaller parts after a while.

What were your search parameters?

I tried the very basic search - in the first entry field I searched Norrbotten, Sweden (this defaulted to the 30km radius, with no other additional filters), and there are caches visible around the Lulea airport .

I then tried to world map - centered on Norrbotten, Sweden, and all the caches on the map around the airport match with the search results above.

Are you sure the cache is not archived? GC5M7Y4 I presume?

Thought --

I presume you logged it as found yesterday? When you did the search, did you add a filter to only show the caches you haven't found? If so and you didn't change that filter option to "All", the map won't show that cache.

Edited by thebruce0

Hang tight. I'm working on consolidating all the workarounds and instructions into one place and will post it in a new discussion tomorrow evening. I've been working on it for a few hours tonight, but it's time to go to bed. :laughing:

Why is a member doing this, and not Groundspeak?

Why are so many workarounds needed?

Has anyone pointed out the new info in the Help Center?

Why isn't the link posted prominently on the new search page, in a bold, legible font?

Help Center → Finding a Geocache

2. Searching for a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=105

2.1. Advanced Search FAQ

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=649

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol
I haven't gotten it all thought through, but that has been my best guess for a while now. People enter something on the first page and then go in to "Add Filters" without realizing that the first page info hosed what they were trying to do by filters.

I agree. It needs to be made more clear that the first search box is ONLY searching for a location and nothing else.

I think it's the phrase "Search the millions of geocaches worldwide." that is messing people up, especially when the search box includes "GC Code" as one of the examples of things to search on. After all, if I am searching the database of Geocaches and I can search on GC-code, why would I ever expect I couldn't search on the cache name from the main box? As an example:

I want to see where the moving brass cap cache currently is located. I type in GC43F3 into the search box. That cache is at the top of the list, as I would expect. Yay! Now, I would assume the other search results listed would be other caches that have some variation of 43F3 in their GC-code, such as GC43F3A. Nope, the second result in the list is GC5C4EP, which has nothing to do with the search I thought I was running -- it just happens to be the next closest cache to GC43F3.

If I think I am searching "the millions of Geocaches worldwide" for ones with GC43F3 as part of their GC-code? The new search is broken. It sucks. Never using it again.

If I realize all I am searching for is caches located nearby GC43F3? New search works great. Heck, now I can even go in and add some filters and expand the search radius from the default 16km up as far as 50km. I can filter for specific D and T ranges, specific names, types, etc. Wow, this is cool.

That is a big difference. The wording on the search box is wrong and misleading. Make it clear that your initial entry in the search box is setting a search location and a lot of misunderstandings about how the advanced search works go away.

But, sadly, it gets worse.

Having done my advanced filtering, I close click on the X and close the filters box. I'm back at the main search screen with my previous search string and results still showing. All is cool.

Now, I'm working on a challenge cache that wants me to find caches with the word "brass" in the title. I go back to the search box, type in "brass" and? Nothing -- DNF! Wha? I was just looking at a cache called "Brass Cap Cache" and now suddenly I'm told nothing exists? Yep, because it isn't intuitive that the first search box is only for setting a LOCATION, nothing else.

OK, so I think maybe my mind is going. Maybe the cache is called "Brassy Cap Cache". I type in "brassy" in the search box, click on the magnifying glass. Hey, this time I get results! First one is GC4YRC2 that is 6.5km NE -- NE of what? My home? Nope. NE of some random point, it seems. I click on "Map These Results" and I'm taken to a beautiful map of France. To the typical user this makes no sense -- the search box told me I was searching for caches, not searching for a location!

I really do like the advanced search, I think it has a lot going for it and it is far superior to the old search. It just needs some minor changes to make it more intuitive.

What were your search parameters?

I tried the very basic search - in the first entry field I searched Norrbotten, Sweden (this defaulted to the 30km radius, with no other additional filters), and there are caches visible around the Lulea airport .

I then tried to world map - centered on Norrbotten, Sweden, and all the caches on the map around the airport match with the search results above.

Are you sure the cache is not archived? GC5M7Y4 I presume?

Thought --

I presume you logged it as found yesterday? When you did the search, did you add a filter to only show the caches you haven't found? If so and you didn't change that filter option to "All", the map won't show that cache.

Yes it is GC5M7Y4 that I logged yeasterday.

The only thing I searched on was Norrbotten, Sweden. No other filters in advanced search. I just notised that I got the same result again. The only cache in this area that shows is GC1ZD6C. Several is still missing.

Hang tight. I'm working on consolidating all the workarounds and instructions into one place and will post it in a new discussion tomorrow evening.

Why is a member doing this, and not Groundspeak?

Why are so many workarounds needed?

Has anyone pointed out the new info in the Help Center?

Why isn't the link posted prominently on the new search page, in a bold, legible font?

All very good questions. I can only answer one: the link to the FAQ was posted in the first post of this discussion. So far, I'm unaware of that link being posted anywhere outside of the forums. One would expect it to be front-and-centre on the Search page, but it's conspicuously missing, even a week later.

Anyway, I've had some time today to finish my guide and will be posting it in a new discussion in the Geocaching Topics forum momentarily.

If these give you results, then you can click "Change Filters" in the Results page and made adjustments to the filters, then click "Update Search".

If these links don't work, then I'd suggest closing your web browser and re-opening...then trying agin. Maybe your browser is somehow saving the 30-mile preference.

When I click on the links you provided, I get results. The list is sort of confusing, as without the different color backgrounds it's harder to read, and it's not by date, like the old event search was. Is that what it's going to look like from now on?

And most importantly, how in the world did you get it to do that? The more I search for workarounds and tips and help, the more confused I get. I'm not dumb, but I'm not a computer programmer, nor am I happy about or willing to spend hours and hours fighting with the website just to feed my geocaching hobby.

It's just so sad and distressing and messed up!

But if you (or anyone)could point me to an understandable, step by step sort of information on how to use this rotten new search I would really appreciate it.

When I click on the links you provided, I get results. The list is sort of confusing, as without the different color backgrounds it's harder to read, and it's not by date, like the old event search was. Is that what it's going to look like from now on?

And most importantly, how in the world did you get it to do that? The more I search for workarounds and tips and help, the more confused I get. I'm not dumb, but I'm not a computer programmer, nor am I happy about or willing to spend hours and hours fighting with the website just to feed my geocaching hobby.

But if you (or anyone)could point me to an understandable, step by step sort of information on how to use this rotten new search I would really appreciate it.

You can sort the events by date by clicking on the column heading.

Edited by Team Taran

Hi TeamCatalpa, I'm glad it's working for you. When you get the results screen, then you can sort the results by oldest/newest by clicking on the "Place On" column name (see image below). When you first click on the link I posted earlier, you'll see the green arrow is next to the "Distance" column name, because that's the default sorting method of the results. When you click on "Placed On", then the results by that instead and the arrow will show up next to that column:

SearchSorting.png

I started exploring the search screen and have read through most of the topics that discuss the new search. From all those posts, I was able to figure out most of the functionality of the new search. It probably helps that I work with computers a lot.

Also, "The A-Team" posted a guide to using the new search. You can find a link to that guide in this post. I haven't looked at the guide yet, but it should be helpful and answer a lot of questions as you use the new search tool.

It's got to be around here someplace!

A clearly understandable set of instructions are exactly what is needed. Someone said, If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it. I think some of the development team are so familiar with the goals of the project and have spent so much time working on and with it, that they are oblivious to the outsiders who are trying to understand how to use the new search. One lackey said the interface was intuitive. I beg to differ.....and it appears by all the confusion that I'm not alone.