Geocoin Discovery

ZombieCacher7

Many geocachers try and get their TB numbers up. Some geocachers with TB's try to get their TB log numbers up. So why not make a thread that helps both :)

Post a picture of your TB(s) and the code so that people can log it. Also, go ahead and log other TB's.

*********PLEASE DO NOT POST OTHER PEOPLE'S TB'S*********

I allow virtual discoveries on a few of my trackables. Their photos and numbers are posted here in the gallery.

That was the old rule that allowing virtual discoverys could get your trackable locked, now it is up to the trackables owner, which I agree with.

3.1. Trackable Etiquette

A Trackable is released so that it can travel by means of geocacher activity. Please check the mission of the Trackable so that you can help to complete the mission. If you think you can help, please take it to advance its goal. Log the Trackable promptly. If you don't know how to log it, please refer to the "Logging a Geocoin or a Travel Bug" article linked below.

Be considerate and don't take a Trackable if you are not planning to go geocaching in the next 2-3 weeks. The owners want them to travel and not to stay too long in one geocacher's hands. Sometimes, unexpected delays occur. Simply send a note to the owner of that item and let them know the situation.

You can revisit a geocache you've already found to pick up or drop a Trackable. It's okay to drop and pick up Trackables from geocaches you own. Log your visit as a note.

Keeping or selling a Trackable which doesn't belong to you is frowned upon, unless you have received express permission from its owner.

Virtual trackables with virtual logs are not encouraged. It is up to the trackable owner to state if they allow this, and delete any bogus logs.

Just go to an event. There are more than enough trackables there to discover. :rolleyes:

Be it travelers or T-Shirts, Cars, backpacks or mascots...

Every owner of those is delighted about lovely logs, that's why we keep trackable numbers on our stuff.

What I don't like at all are boring logs out of an automated programm.

Worse still are bogus logs, when the coin or TB in question wasn't ever seen by the logger.

A few weeks back the number of one of my coins endet on a list. The coin is missing since 2013 and was discovered in the course of two weeks over 50 times.

In the beginning I just deleted the obvious bogus logs. Later on I sent mails out to the cachers in question.

I guess the list appeared on facebook, most discover logs came from Germany, one was from the States.

Hello XXXX,

it's quite sad, that you use lists from the internet, to send spam to Coin- and TB owners.

Mostly the owners are delighted to get a discover note, stating where and when the said trackable has been seen. It shows us, that the coin or TB is still well and travelling on on its journey.

A mere feeding of numbers into an autologger with standard text doesn't show me that my trackable is well, nor does it show that you've seen my coin.

The coin you claim to have discovered, is missing out of a cache since summer 2013. Apparently someone took it without logging.

For two weeks now there were over 50 discovery logs, so I asume the number appeared on a list.

It would be nice, if you could tell your source of the list, that copy&paste logs not only annoy the owners, but are also extremly disrespectful.

You haven't even read the listing, otherwise you'd have known, the coin you claim to have seen is gone missing for quite some time now.

It's a pity, you quite obviously doesn't have a clue about the concept of trackable coins nor do you appreciate them.

Regards from Kassel, Germany

ElliPirelli

I allow virtual discoveries on a few of my trackables. Their photos and numbers are posted here in the gallery.

That was the old rule that allowing virtual discoverys could get your trackable locked, now it is up to the trackables owner, which I agree with.

3.1. Trackable Etiquette

A Trackable is released so that it can travel by means of geocacher activity. Please check the mission of the Trackable so that you can help to complete the mission. If you think you can help, please take it to advance its goal. Log the Trackable promptly. If you don't know how to log it, please refer to the "Logging a Geocoin or a Travel Bug" article linked below.

Be considerate and don't take a Trackable if you are not planning to go geocaching in the next 2-3 weeks. The owners want them to travel and not to stay too long in one geocacher's hands. Sometimes, unexpected delays occur. Simply send a note to the owner of that item and let them know the situation.

You can revisit a geocache you've already found to pick up or drop a Trackable. It's okay to drop and pick up Trackables from geocaches you own. Log your visit as a note.

Keeping or selling a Trackable which doesn't belong to you is frowned upon, unless you have received express permission from its owner.

Virtual trackables with virtual logs are not encouraged. It is up to the trackable owner to state if they allow this, and delete any bogus logs.

can you please tell me where you found " the old rule that allowing virtual discoverys could get your trackable locked, now it is up to the trackables owner" I have been unable to find any such comment from anyone from Groundspeak.

edited to add I have reported a comment to Groundspeak asking for their input...their game, their rules.

Edited by drneal

I have reported a comment to Groundspeak asking for their input...their game, their rules.

I like to think of it as my geocoin, my rule if I allow virtual discoverys or not. :D

The reason I do is because I will not release geocoins anymore after having 14 of 15 of them stolen from geocaches. I do have a few proxies that I have re-released. Seems people have no problem logging a proxy, but they never see the real geocoin, other than a photo in the gallery.

I know that Groundspeak is the host site for tracking numbers, but that is a service that they sell. Unless there is some form of abuse, let the trackable owners decide what they allow with their property.

I have reported a comment to Groundspeak asking for their input....

I like to think of it as my geocoin, my rule if I allow virtual discoverys or not. :D

The reason I do is because I will not release geocoins anymore after having 14 of 15 of them stolen from geocaches. I do have a few proxies that I have re-released. Seems people have no problem logging a proxy, but they never see the real geocoin, other than a photo in the gallery.

I know that Groundspeak is the host site for tracking numbers, but that is a service that they sell. Unless there is some form of abuse, let the trackable owners decide what they allow with their property.

their game, their rules

their game, their rules

Their game is geocaching. My geocoin is my property. I don't need anyone to govern how I enjoy collecting them.

their game, their rules

Their game is geocaching. My geocoin is my property. I don't need anyone to govern how I enjoy collecting them.

their game, their rules

their game, their rules

their game, their rules

Sounds like you are complaining that some of us enjoy virtually sharing and discovering trackables, and because you object to this you are asking Groundspeak to step in and make a rule for you to govern how others enjoy trackables.

their game, their rules

Sounds like you are complaining that some of us enjoy virtually sharing and discovering trackables, and because you object to this you are asking Groundspeak to step in and make a rule for you to govern how others enjoy trackables.

No, sounds like you misunderstand the purpose of trackables.

The coin itself is yours to keep and do what you please, yes.

But the system of tracking numbers, the serverspace is provided by Groundspeak.

Coins were made trackable to send out into the caches of this world, a nice addition to the game of searching for caches.

If you just want to discover numbers I recomend EuroBillTracker or something similar for US Bills or wherever you hail from.

their game, their rules

Coins were made trackable to send out into the caches of this world, a nice addition to the game of searching for caches.

If you just want to discover numbers I recomend EuroBillTracker or something similar for US Bills or wherever you hail from.

No thanks, I have no interest is tracking money. I enjoy discovering geocoins and geocaching. Even Groundspeak has trackables that they allow virtual discoverys of on the shop Groundspeak page. Allowing others to log my trackables is not anyone else's concerns. There are even FB groups that share trackables.

their game, their rules

No thanks, I have no interest is tracking money. I enjoy discovering geocoins and geocaching. Even Groundspeak has trackables that they allow virtual discoverys of on the shop Groundspeak page. Allowing others to log my trackables is not anyone else's concerns. There are even FB groups that share trackables.

Yes, there are FB groups but most often someone is showing SOMEONE ELSE'S trackables. If someone wants the flood of discoveries, fine, but not when it involves someone else's property.

If it isn't yours, don't post the code anywhere except as a valid log entry !!!

Edited by nevadanick

You enjoy discovering Geocoins? I do as well.

That's why I only discover coins, which I had in hand and have seen.

I also log with individual logs for each trackable, not with an autologger.

So where did one discover a Geocoin, when it is a virtual log?

Where is the enjoyment of handling a coin, when it is feeding an automated programm with numbers from a list?

If you enjoy getting boring logs like that, go ahead, post your own trackable number someplace.

But please keep others property out of those stupid lists!

It saves me a lot of time and hassle to delete bogus logs and writing mails.

I can't understand why people seem upset with me because I chose to virtually share a limited few of my trackables, it makes no sense to me. I don't own hundreds or thousands of trackables, I don't have a link to a trading site on my peofile page, and I would never share anyone else's trackables. I have only discobered about six trackables virtually that belong to frinds because they wanted me to discover them. The last few trackables that I have found in caches (which is rare) I have only discovered and left for the next person. I do maintain a list, and most that I have ever seen in the wild eventually go missing.

I used to really enjoy collecting geocoins, and when Groundspeak gave us the option to allow our trackables to "visit" caches I added a Found It, an DNF, a EarthCache, a Country caching, a Take a Kid caching, and several more only for the purpose os visiting caches, they are my personal record keeping trackables. I know that it was pointed out that I'm wasting server space, which I disagree with. I upload lots of images of our geocaching adventures, but I pay to be a member here and maintain over 100 geocaches on my account. I give back to geocaching more than I take.

We have the option of inventory or collection, and once added to our collection the only options are to discover or wrire a note. I used to take my trackables to events and leave them on a table for others to discover. After some went missing and have never showed up again, I stopped leaving my property unattended at events.

Now if I choose to allow virtual discoverys on three or four of my trackables, people act like I'm a bad person, not following their standards how they enjoy their geocoins. I just don't get it.

Simmer down people. No one on this thread has advocated posting other people's tracking numbers.

The fact of the matter is that Groundspeak has changed their stance on virtual logs, and have said it's up to the coin owners to decide if they will allow it for their own coins.

You're right.

I'm sorry, but I'm quite fed up with deleting logs on nearly a daily basis, as some ...(insert rude noun here) has posted the tracking number of my coin on a list.

Those logs are boring and stupid, as they come with no personal words out of an autologger.

I can't understand why people seem upset with me because I chose to virtually share a limited few of my trackables, it makes no sense to me.

If you're allowing logs on your trackables, that's your decision.

As I said, I'm upset about bogus logs on a missing coin of mine, which appeared on a list recently.

Sure, quite a few of my over hundred traveling coins went missing, still I don't want bogus logs of people, who haven't even looked at the trackables page.

The danger of giving your trackables number out in public is, that someone might think it a fine idea to put it on a list. After all you gave the number for them to discover...

Simmer down people. No one on this thread has advocated posting other people's tracking numbers.

The fact of the matter is that Groundspeak has changed their stance on virtual logs, and have said it's up to the coin owners to decide if they will allow it for their own coins.

You're right.

I'm sorry, but I'm quite fed up with deleting logs on nearly a daily basis, as some ...(insert rude noun here) has posted the tracking number of my coin on a list.

Those logs are boring and stupid, as they come with no personal words out of an autologger.

I can't understand why people seem upset with me because I chose to virtually share a limited few of my trackables, it makes no sense to me.

If you're allowing logs on your trackables, that's your decision.

As I said, I'm upset about bogus logs on a missing coin of mine, which appeared on a list recently.

Sure, quite a few of my over hundred traveling coins went missing, still I don't want bogus logs of people, who haven't even looked at the trackables page.

The danger of giving your trackables number out in public is, that someone might think it a fine idea to put it on a list. After all you gave the number for them to discover...

You seem to have directed your anger at me, so let's be very clear on some facts. I do not share others tracking numbers. I only have three trackables that I share virtually, and I post that on their page that virtual discoverys are welcome and the photo of the trackable and it's numbers are only posted here in the GS gallery. If I choose to share my trackable virtually it is my concern, not yours.

You seem to have directed your anger at me, so let's be very clear on some facts. I do not share others tracking numbers. I only have three trackables that I share virtually, and I post that on their page that virtual discoverys are welcome and the photo of the trackable and it's numbers are only posted here in the GS gallery. If I choose to share my trackable virtually it is my concern, not yours.

Old habbits die hard. I started collecting coins at a time, when the threat of getting a coin locked because of bogus logs was real.

It was frowned upon if a tracking number was posted in the forums, as knowledge of the number was considered proof of having seen the coin.

Aparently that rule got somewhat softened over the years.

To be clear, I'm not directing my anger at you, you may do with your coins as you wish. If you tolerate or encourage bogus logs, that's none of my business.

Dr. Neal said, it's Groundspeaks game, it's also their rules. Which you seem to disagree on.

In my case, I'm just fed up with people discovering my trackables, which never where intented to be open for bogus logs. Especially boring copy&paste logs.

This is quite fresh in my memory, as it only happened three weeks ago, that a massive avalanche of bogus logs flooded my inbox.

So forgive me to vent my impatience on you, I'm by no means implying that you made numbers of other trackables than your own public.

Possum Hunter, for a long time virtual logging wasn't permitted by Groundspeak and they would lock coins for it. A lot of us who were around in those times became very protective of people logging our coins who hadn't actually seen them. We developed a fortress mentality to our coins and were hyper-vigilant in trying to protect them! In hindsight, most of it was just a bit of an over reaction. :lol: I can see you were caching during some of that time, although I don't know if you were visiting the forums then.

There are still people around who think logging a "discovery" is "cheating" and they won't log a trackable unless they actually moved it from one cache to another. Every few months the forums would blow up as someone new came along and asked the question. To our shame we didn't always react well to new cachers coming to ask the questions we'd just spent weeks arguing over until the mods threatened to shut down the threads and give people time outs!

I used to be one of those who refused to log trackables I hadn't seen, but since Groundspeak has relaxed their stance I've mellowed considerably. With almost 900 activated coins I get hit with bogus logs rather frequently, although lately it seems it's been people making typos while trying to discover other coins and not from a list. So now instead of just deleting the log (which I did for years), I try to see if I can figure out which coin they were trying to log and send them the correct number. I've been successful a few times.

The game continues to grow and develop. We should do the same. B) (Or at the very least allow other to do so, even if we stay hidden in our fortresses! :P )

Old habbits die hard. I started collecting coins at a time, when the threat of getting a coin locked because of bogus logs was real.

It was frowned upon if a tracking number was posted in the forums, as knowledge of the number was considered proof of having seen the coin.

Aparently that rule got somewhat softened over the years.

To be clear, I'm not directing my anger at you, you may do with your coins as you wish. If you tolerate or encourage bogus logs, that's none of my business.

Dr. Neal said, it's Groundspeaks game, it's also their rules. Which you seem to disagree on.

In my case, I'm just fed up with people discovering my trackables, which never where intented to be open for bogus logs. Especially boring copy&paste logs.

This is quite fresh in my memory, as it only happened three weeks ago, that a massive avalanche of bogus logs flooded my inbox.

So forgive me to vent my impatience on you, I'm by no means implying that you made numbers of other trackables than your own public.

I do abide by groundspaek's rule on trackables and as already stated I agree with it. It's you that thinks they have got soft with their old rule that they would lock a trackable for virtually sharing it. :blink:

I'm thankful to Groundspeak for the new options for trackables and allowing the owner to have control of their property. My coins just sit in an ammo can, and if it makes others happy to view them here in the gallery and discover them I enjoy that. I get nice logs thanking me for sharing, and I enjoy reading them.

Trackable owners are free to disseminate their codes however they wish in other outlets. However, since Geocaching HQ discourages virtual logging of trackables, we will not permit TB codes to be posted in the Groundspeak forums at this time.

Thanks for that.

Is it possible to put the current view in one of the pinned threads here, or the TB forum?

As busy as the coin forum is, this helpful information will probably disappear within a week. :)

Apologies for posting to this thread nearly a year after the last contribution, but it does seem an appropriate place to ask for advice. I'm also pretty green about geocoins, so this may be a daft query (I won't mind if you tell me!).

Situation is that a cacher has added a note to my cache listing that simply links to his geocoin. Neither the coin nor the owner have ever visited my cache, indeed the coin may be anywhere in the world. Anyone following that link will find the necessary codes to log a "find" of the coin.

My first reaction is that this isn't within the spirit of the game because anyone logging a coin find won't have physically seen it, so this doesn't seem to be within Groundspeak's definitions of either "retrieving" or "discovering" the coin. Especially given the comment earlier in this thread that "...Geocaching HQ discourages virtual logging of trackables ...". So I don't like his use of my cache listing to advertise this coin and I'm tempted to delete the note. But having found and read this thread I see that many people do seem to get pleasure out of logging such "finds", and I don't want to be a killjoy so am I right to object to this cacher using my listing to encourage a practice that Geocaching HQ seems to discourage ?

Any opinions about the etiquette of this gratefully received, thanks !

Apologies for posting to this thread nearly a year after the last contribution, but it does seem an appropriate place to ask for advice. I'm also pretty green about geocoins, so this may be a daft query (I won't mind if you tell me!).

Situation is that a cacher has added a note to my cache listing that simply links to his geocoin. Neither the coin nor the owner have ever visited my cache, indeed the coin may be anywhere in the world. Anyone following that link will find the necessary codes to log a "find" of the coin.

My first reaction is that this isn't within the spirit of the game because anyone logging a coin find won't have physically seen it, so this doesn't seem to be within Groundspeak's definitions of either "retrieving" or "discovering" the coin. Especially given the comment earlier in this thread that "...Geocaching HQ discourages virtual logging of trackables ...". So I don't like his use of my cache listing to advertise this coin and I'm tempted to delete the note. But having found and read this thread I see that many people do seem to get pleasure out of logging such "finds", and I don't want to be a killjoy so am I right to object to this cacher using my listing to encourage a practice that Geocaching HQ seems to discourage ?

Any opinions about the etiquette of this gratefully received, thanks !

Delete any bogus logs on your cache. (You should delete your note as well.)

There's no reason for you to put up with that kind of behaviour. Personally, I would report that username to Groundspeak.

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship → Log Deletion

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=204

4.12. Log Deletion

[update 13 December 2012]

Logs can be deleted by the owner of the log, by the owner of the listing (the geocache owner) and by site administrators. Logs that fail to meet stated requirements (such as Found It logs by people who have never found the geocache) or logs that conflict with our Terms of Use Agreement may be deleted.

It is one of your maintenance duties as the geocache owner to monitor quality control of posts to the geocache page. To this end, you have the power to delete logs.

B.