Is it streaking?

memomls

+2 Can a permanent ban ever be reversed?

+3

Mr Yuck got a permanent ban?

Anyone know why?

Those of us that have perused his most recent postings have no idea. Probably more of a historical thing, possibly because he would occasionally (and very cautiously) mention alternative sites. Who knows?

But as for cheating on logging dates just so you can claim a streak... that's like wearing a toupee and a girdle to make yourself look young! You haven't accomplished a streak just because you logged a streak! That is just embarrassingly silly. Do you agree?

Agreed :)

Although I see it frequently in my local area.

I can only assume that Mr Yuck received 'offline' communications and failed to heed requests therein dry.gif

You know what your 2nd grade teacher told you about making assumptions. :laughing: Probably what most people would assume, but that doesn't make it true. That's also the reason why cheating on logging dates is a mistake... others may assume the cache is there and in good condition because the logging date was wrong.

Of course, we can all blame it on smart phones or Mr. Yuck (I'm going to miss him around here).

Wait, what happened to Mr Yuck (or the cacher formerly known as TheWhiteUrkel)?

Yeah .... me too. He always seemed to have good words of wisdom.

I have a friend that was doing some streak or other, and he just left unfound caches in the area so he could go out the days he needed a cache, and not have to go far.

I thought Mr Yuck always contributed to a positive forum community experience. He was a wealth of knowledge about geocaching and forum history. Sad day. I'd sure like to know why!

But anyway... to those that have posted that they see this (being concerned about deliberately logging the wrong date) there is more to it than simply cheating the system. When you do that, you are misleading both the cache owner, and future finders about the state of the cache.

Let's also remember this is game with no winners or Lossers. If the occasional someone chooses to commit a minor ethical inFraction it really has no effect on anyone else. I would rather spend my find enjoying what I do than worrying about someone else's ethical failures

Edited by Walts Hunting

Of course, we can all blame it on smart phones or Mr. Yuck (I'm going to miss him around here).

I have a friend that was doing some streak or other, and he just left unfound caches in the area so he could go out the days he needed a cache, and not have to go far.

I thought Mr Yuck always contributed to a positive forum community experience. He was a wealth of knowledge about geocaching and forum history. Sad day. I'd sure like to know why!

But anyway... to those that have posted that they see this (being concerned about deliberately logging the wrong date) there is more to it than simply cheating the system. When you do that, you are misleading both the cache owner, and future finders about the state of the cache.

Let's also remember this is game with no winners or Lossers. If the occasional someone chooses to commit a minor ethical inFraction it really has no effect on anyone else. I would rather spend my find enjoying what I do than worrying about someone else's ethical failures

I have pointed out at least twice now how this particular infraction can indeed affect others. See my bolded text. If my cache went missing on Tuesday and you post-dated a log on Wednesday, my cache is missing, but I, and others searching for it, will assume by your log that all was well with it at least on Wednesday.

+3

Anyone know why?

Those of us that have perused his most recent postings have no idea. Probably more of a historical thing, possibly because he would occasionally (and very cautiously) mention alternative sites. Who knows?

But as for cheating on logging dates just so you can claim a streak... that's like wearing a toupee and a girdle to make yourself look young! You haven't accomplished a streak just because you logged a streak! That is just embarrassingly silly. Do you agree?

I agree, but to some people, it's worth it to their ego to look silly with the toupee, etc. hoping no one will notice. As for deleting logs, though, why bother. does anyone really care about the streak thing other than the streakee?

And if Mr Yuck can get a permanent ban just for mentioning an alternative site, it doesn't say much for this site, does it? Kind like wearing a toupee and a girdle to bolster a weak ego!

I have pointed out at least twice now how this particular infraction can indeed affect others. See my bolded text. If my cache went missing on Tuesday and you post-dated a log on Wednesday, my cache is missing, but I, and others searching for it, will assume by your log that all was well with it at least on Wednesday.

Yep .. sorry, I missed this point in my previous posting. You are correct.

+3

Anyone know why?

I agree, but to some people, it's worth it to their ego to look silly with the toupee, etc. hoping no one will notice. As for deleting logs, though, why bother. does anyone really care about the streak thing other than the streakee?

And if Mr Yuck can get a permanent ban just for mentioning an alternative site, it doesn't say much for this site, does it? Kind like wearing a toupee and a girdle to bolster a weak ego!

I agree with both knowschad and BC.

"If my cache went missing on Tuesday and you post-dated a log on Wednesday, my cache is missing, but I, and others searching for it, will assume by your log that all was well with it at least on Wednesday."

I agree that this is a problem that can happen, and has a negative impact.

But for logs on active caches that are not missing I don't see an issue.

Example, the cache was found on March 13 by JoeCacher. JoeCacher logs it on March 13 and reports that the cache is there and in good shape. BobCacher found it on March 14 (it's still there and in good shape), but logs it as found on February 28, I don't see that as detrimental to the game or other players. It may bother the challenge owner but challenge caches have many detrimental repercussions.

I predict in 2016, because of challenge caches, souvenirs and grid fillers, there will be a LOT of caches logged on February 29 when they were not actually found on that date (or not found by the finder(s) at all i.e. falsely logged to get the souvenir or qualify for a CC).

[What's up with Yuck? He's one of my favourite people on the forums. Very knowledgeable, a frequent contributor, easy-going with a great sense of humour. Please say the rumours aren't true. What happened? blink.gifsad.gif]

Edited by L0ne.R

The thing I don't get, is how do people enjoy cache goals when they know they really didn't meet them?

I've considered logging a cache a day ahead in order to fill in my cache-a-day calendar, but realized that would ruin the entire thing for me. Why not just fill it all in? It would make it worthless.

Yes when we fill in the wrong day to get something (like a streak) then we are cheating ourselves (in addition to others, as Knowschad and BC have mentioned).

So do these people cheat themselves all the time already and so one more doesn't make a difference? I just don't get it. It would make the stats worthless to myself, which is who matters the most. Where is the integrity to ones self?

I will miss Mr. Yuck too. He had some clear-headed opinions around here and had some great information to share. I wonder if there is some actual guideline to give people a permanent ban. There are people on this forum who are regularly disruptive and they seem to not get one. I don't understand that either.

Is integrity dead in these United States? Does no one have a conscience anymore?

pact.

Example, the cache was found on March 13 by JoeCacher. JoeCacher logs it on March 13 and reports that the cache is there and in good shape. BobCacher found it on March 14 (it's still there and in good shape), but logs it as found on February 28, I don't see that as detrimental to the game or other players. It may bother the challenge owner but challenge caches have many detrimental repercussions.

You're right, of course, that backdating a log doesn't have the same potential for impact that post-dating has. Nevertheless, it is still bogus, and I have been told to monitor my cache for bogus logs (in reality, I probably would not do anything... I probably wouldn't even know!)

One other minor impact would be for the cache owner who does decide to monitor his logs by matching paper to computer. Most likely, he or she will be going by date. If you said you logged my cache on 1/1/15 and I don't see your name on 1/1/15, I might just delete your online log. As I continue, I might notice your name further down on the paper (or further down on the monitor) but I can't recover your now deleted bogus log. So sorry!

pact.

You're right, of course, that backdating a log doesn't have the same potential for impact that post-dating has. Nevertheless, it is still bogus, and I have been told to monitor my cache for bogus logs (in reality, I probably would not do anything... I probably wouldn't even know!)

One other minor impact would be for the cache owner who does decide to monitor his logs by matching paper to computer. Most likely, he or she will be going by date. If you said you logged my cache on 1/1/15 and I don't see your name on 1/1/15, I might just delete your online log. As I continue, I might notice your name further down on the paper (or further down on the monitor) but I can't recover your now deleted bogus log. So sorry!

Yes, it's likely that most cache owners won't monitor, but for those who do, boy-oh-boy some confrontations could result when cache owners monitor and delete.

There are some other scenarios with regard to date conflicts and date-rigging:

• The finder logs his find for Feb 10 in the paper log, then gets home and sees that when he logs online it's says it's Feb 12th not the 10th. Is it legit to delete the finder's log?
  • The finder writes only their trailname in the paper log, no date. Is it legit to delete the finder's log?
  • The finder finds it on Feb 12 but needs a Feb 13 date to fill a grid and qualify for a challenge, so he writes Feb 13 in the paper log and logs online on Feb 13. Not legit but who's going to know or care.
  • The finder goes back a few years in his logs and edits a few dates so that he has a cache find on each day of April in order to qualify for an April CC. Not legit but who's going to know or care.

I see the temptation of date-rigging in order to log a find, as yet another reason challenge caches are bad for the game.

Before CCs if someone logged bogus dates to meet a personal goal it didn't make a lot of sense, they were only fooling themselves.

Now it means they can go hunt for a cache and log it as found if they rig a few dates. They may not care about firm dates but really be into the numbers, upping their smiley count or clearing an area.

The thing I don't get, is how do people enjoy cache goals when they know they really didn't meet them?

+1

Come to think of it, I guess it isn't that far removed from the people that live in a huge house with three cars, a boat, and an RV, all on credit. At least they LOOK like they really belong to you.

People "cheat" a lot these days. Rigged streaks is just one of the ways. Many people don't solve puzzles, they get their final coords from friends. Many people skip multi stages, again final coords are shared. When group caching on a numbers run day many in the group don't even see many of the caches. Many people have tree climbing caches on their list of finds but never climbed a tree.

I've considered logging a cache a day ahead in order to fill in my cache-a-day calendar, but realized that would ruin the entire thing for me. Why not just fill it all in? It would make it worthless.

Yes when we fill in the wrong day to get something (like a streak) then we are cheating ourselves (in addition to others, as Knowschad and BC have mentioned).

So do these people cheat themselves all the time already and so one more doesn't make a difference? I just don't get it. It would make the stats worthless to myself, which is who matters the most. Where is the integrity to ones self?

I will miss Mr. Yuck too. He had some clear-headed opinions around here and had some great information to share. I wonder if there is some actual guideline to give people a permanent ban. There are people on this forum who are regularly disruptive and they seem to not get one. I don't understand that either.

Is integrity dead in these United States? Does no one have a conscience anymore?

I blam the this childishness on the fact there are way too many challange caches out there now.

This Mr.Yuck situation has me feeling disillusioned. So much so, I am taking a break from these forums for a while. I encourage anyone else feeling disillusioned to also take a break.

One of the many reasons I don't like streak-based challenges. But to each his or her own.

One of the many reasons I don't like challenge caches of any kind, Mr. Fizzy. :P

this actually pulls the fizzy challenge into it as well. 100 day streak, rate it 3.5/3.5. 150 day streak rate it some other rare combo, etc. all the way to 500+ day streaks. in fact, find 10 caches on a monday and you can get a 4.5/5.0 . find 10 on a tuesday and we'll get you a 3.5 /4.0 skirt lifter.

all you really can do is laugh, it doesn't seem like there's any interest in stemming these challenge caches.

I blam the this childishness on the fact there are way too many challange caches out there now.

This Mr.Yuck situation has me feeling disillusioned. So much so, I am taking a break from these forums for a while. I encourage anyone else feeling disillusioned to also take a break.

Some argue that there are too many caches of all types. But while it may affect how some choose to play, one should not let it affect how you enjoy the game. If it stops being fun, I'll stop playing. I don't want others to affect my enjoyment so I ignore them as much as possible.

I heard that a couple of other forum regulars were also given the permanent boot in the forums here. If such actions is meant to be a deterrent, they should be made known to those who participate in the forums. Some of us are confused why certain people are banned while others are not. Color me disillusioned as well, but I neither encourage nor discourage anyone from participating in the forums here. As I had said before, I learned a lot here, and in my own small way I hope I had helped a few people with technical issues. I had taken a voluntary break in the past, and I think I will take one again.

One of the many reasons I don't like streak-based challenges. But to each his or her own.

One of the many reasons I don't like challenge caches of any kind, Mr. Fizzy. :P

this actually pulls the fizzy challenge into it as well. 100 day streak, rate it 3.5/3.5. 150 day streak rate it some other rare combo, etc. all the way to 500+ day streaks. in fact, find 10 caches on a monday and you can get a 4.5/5.0 . find 10 on a tuesday and we'll get you a 3.5 /4.0 skirt lifter.

all you really can do is laugh, it doesn't seem like there's any interest in stemming these challenge caches.

The Fizzy Challenge always reminds me of my first attempt to drink a glass of Alka Seltzer! :P Ugh!!!

So, I guess Toz and 4WF were also included in the Great Purge, never to be heard from again. We seem to be on some sort of streak here. :(

Some argue that there are too many caches of all types. But while it may affect how some choose to play, one should not let it affect how you enjoy the game. If it stops being fun, I'll stop playing. I don't want others to affect my enjoyment so I ignore them as much as possible.

I heard that a couple of other forum regulars were also given the permanent boot in the forums here. If such actions is meant to be a deterrent, they should be made known to those who participate in the forums. Some of us are confused why certain people are banned while others are not. Color me disillusioned as well, but I neither encourage nor discourage anyone from participating in the forums here. As I had said before, I learned a lot here, and in my own small way I hope I had helped a few people with technical issues. I had taken a voluntary break in the past, and I think I will take one again.

The bottom line is that the cheaters are only cheating themselves. Unless they are psychopathic, I would think that this would bother them on some level.

The fate of Mr.Yuck, Tozainamboku and 4wheelinfool has me really bothered too. This will be my last post for a while.

The fate of Mr.Yuck, Tozainamboku and 4wheelinfool has me really bothered too. This will be my last post for a while.

+1

+1

It has me worried that my days may be numbered too. I'm an oldie, frequent contributor, and speak out a lot mostly against the numbers aspect of the game (quality over quantity). Was that the problem? Too much criticism?

+1

It has me worried that my days may be numbered too. I'm an oldie, frequent contributor, and speak out a lot mostly against the numbers aspect of the game (quality over quantity). Was that the problem? Too much criticism?

Maybe there's a plan afoot to wind down the forums altogether, in favour of twitface and the like?

Removing members with the highest post count might help that process along.

+1

Maybe there's a plan afoot to wind down the forums altogether, in favour of twitface and the like?

:ph34r:

+1

Is it streaking?

I guess it's a streak of banning forum regulars.

I think it's important for the rest of us to know why and that it's happening so we know the finer rules in here that are unspoken but will still get you banned. But I guess we should break that into another thread.

As far as streaking involving signing caching on a day you didn't find the cache, no that's not streaking. That's ... I have no idea what that is. Just finding caches I guess. And something that could turn problematic for players trying to find caches after you if the caches come up missing.

Let the record reflect that we're not handing out warnings for hijacking memomls' thread so that forum posting suspensions can be discussed.

Details of individual accounts are not discussed publicly. Suffice it to say that one needs to rack up a large number of forum warnings over a sustained period of time in order to be considered for a permanent posting suspension. It is a last resort when prior warnings and multiple short-term posting suspensions have failed to change fundamental behaviors.

One focus of the moderating team is for the forum community to be more welcoming and helpful to newcomers or occasional visitors who stop by to ask simple questions. Query whether the last several days' worth of posts to this thread have been kind and welcoming from memomls' perspective.

Let the record reflect that we're not handing out warnings for hijacking memomls' thread so that forum posting suspensions can be discussed.

Details of individual accounts are not discussed publicly. Suffice it to say that one needs to rack up a large number of forum warnings over a sustained period of time in order to be considered for a permanent posting suspension. It is a last resort when prior warnings and multiple short-term posting suspensions have failed to change fundamental behaviors.

One focus of the moderating team is for the forum community to be more welcoming and helpful to newcomers or occasional visitors who stop by to ask simple questions. Query whether the last several days' worth of posts to this thread have been kind and welcoming from memomls' perspective.

It is important to serve the long-time members as well as the newbies.

It is important for long-time members to know the unspoken rules that could get them banned. Everyone I know wants to play by the rules here.

The old timers are as important as the newbies, if not more so. They are the ones who are the strong forum legs. They are here to teach, and yes welcome the newbies.

Please don't kick the old timers under the bus. They are important for the forums and indeed for the geocaching.com business.

It's the long time geocachers who are the best promoters of geocaching as a game. It is important not to kick them under the bus.

Happy old timers are the best promoters of geocaching and of the paid memberships that keep Groundspeak afloat.

Disgruntled old timers have been known to do things like constantly steal caches (a real problem here in WA)or leave quite unpleasant things in caches that make newbies not want to cache anymore (a problem that many have seen).

Happy old times spread the joy. Everyone I meet, I tell them to get a geocaching.com paid membership if they cache. How could you be without one and cache? I tell them.

Old timers are out there right now, all over, taking new cachers by the hand and helping them learn this game. It is much easier to learn with an old timer than by oneself. Old timers are the best promotion tool Groundspeak has. They should be treated with respect in mind of this situation.

Old timers are good for Groundspeak. This is really important. This is not to be forgotten.

I can't imagine saving logs so that I can continue a "streak." When did you find the cache? When did you sign the log? That's the date that should be on the online log as well.

As others have said, they're being lame. They can qualify for a challenge cache - yippy skippy; one more smiley for them.

So yeah - I think it's dumb, but I agree with the issues that can arise from logging late. If someone does this, maybe they could type out in their log that they actually found it 6 months ago but wanted to keep their "streak" alive, so they have no idea of the current state of the cache. :rolleyes: