Is it streaking?

memomls

I'm just trying to get an opinion here. I have someone logging caches that he found all on one day. But he's "logging" them whenever he needs to fill a day in for a streak. When I confronted him, he admitted that was what he was doing. Should I/can I delete the logs if they are logged on a date other than when they were found? Thanks.

Should I/can I delete the logs if they are logged on a date other than when they were found? Thanks.

It's common for logs to be posted on the wrong date. Sometimes way wrong, such as when someone found it a long time ago and is now catching up on logs.

So I'd say it's no good to delete a Found It log, because they found it. But you could request that they post the correct found date if known. Many Cachers look at recently posted Found It logs to decide if a given cache is OK or not (Poison ivy? Bridge washed out?), and will be misled if it was in fact not found today.

As CO, you could post a correction Note Log "The find was actually on [date]". But since the person in the story has no firm grasp on reality ("I found this weeks after I found this"), it may be a good idea to not press the issue. :ph34r:

I have a better reply, but I won't post it for a while. I'm filling a grid. :anibad:

Edited by kunarion

Sorry about that, I don't post in here very often.

That is all right. You might want to look around here in Off Topic, it can be very enjoyable for some and extremely funny at times.

I hope you get your answer.

I find it best not to rock the boat and just let others play the way they want to, if it is not hurting anyone else.

Shirley~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You could tell him that you are forwarding his email to the owner of the associated challenges and have him edit his own logs, because actually he is "cheating" on their challenges, and not necessarily your hides.

It's not really your concern to police your logs to conform to someone else's challenge. The person who created the challenge just might not care anyway.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

As a CO, you're responsible for geocache listing maintenance.

One listing guideline is:

"As the owner of your cache listing, your responsibility includes quality control of all posts to the cache listing. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off-topic or otherwise inappropriate."

That said, if mine, he did sign the log and I'd fugget about it.

Probably others besides you are noticing his silly antics.

- At events, if he mentions something of his streak (these kinda people like to brag...), laugh hysterically - and maybe not only the both of you will know why. :)

We can thank challenge caches for this logging behaviour. I imagine it happens quite a lot but when it's done in big chunks it's more noticeable.

But my opinion is that the date that someone logs their find, is not a problem unless it gives the appearance that a cache is there when in fact it's missing.

I think this is one of those times when you should let people do it their own way. The person did find those caches right? The logs themselves don't contain anything they shouldnt-swearing, giving away answers to puzzles, whatever, right? So let him do it. He's not hurting you, he's only cheating himself. Now if you're the CO of the challange cache and you know he really doesn't qualify, then you can delete the log on the challenge cache.

We can thank challenge caches for this logging behaviour. I imagine it happens quite a lot but when it's done in big chunks it's more noticeable.

But my opinion is that the date that someone logs their find, is not a problem unless it gives the appearance that a cache is there when in fact it's missing.

Agreed. That tends to be my approach to most bogus logs -- the only people who are negatively impacted are those who see a Found It and assume that means the cache is in place.

I pretty much agree with this. On the other hand, looking at the hides from the OP I see several "series" of caches. A U.S. States series, a series based on James Bond, a "Know it all" series, an AKA series, an acronym series...with about 670 caches total. Looking at a map of the area it's all one series of caches connected to another, and looks like a web of power trails. If you're going to create caches which cater to the numbers crowd, you're probably going to get a lot of logs from the challenge cache crowd as well. Placing 600+ caches in close proximity to each other is almost begging people find them all over the course of a few days then log them to satisfy a geocaching streak challenge.

Thanks everyone. I do appreciate the feedback. I asked the logger and he admitted that he was using the caches to log when he couldn't get out. I asked him to please log on the date he found, and he graciously has done so.

I know so many people who work hard to streak, that it really just bugged me. Heck, it was a major chore for me to streak 100 days.

I love the laughing thing. There are so many cachers I can/will use that one.

Thanks everyone. I do appreciate the feedback. I asked the logger and he admitted that he was using the caches to log when he couldn't get out. I asked him to please log on the date he found, and he graciously has done so.

I know so many people who work hard to streak, that it really just bugged me. Heck, it was a major chore for me to streak 100 days.

I love the laughing thing. There are so many cachers I can/will use that one.

A geocaching aquaintance admitted that he would find several caches in a day, but only log one of them. This would give him extras for those days he couldn't actually go out and actually find a cache. He would just fudge the date and call it good. The thing is, i don't think he was trying to hide anything and in fact. For hime, it seemed a normal thing to do. Doesn't seem normal to me and yes, i caught myself letting out a little laugh every time he bragged about his streak. :lol:

The challenge cache owner himself might not appreciate these tactics but even so, i don't think it would be my place to let them know. This is one of those situations where it's probably best to just walk away.

Edited by Mudfrog

I'm just trying to get an opinion here. I have someone logging caches that he found all on one day. But he's "logging" them whenever he needs to fill a day in for a streak. When I confronted him, he admitted that was what he was doing. Should I/can I delete the logs if they are logged on a date other than when they were found? Thanks.

No...Dont delete it... Just dont. :blink:

Yes its cheating and stupid, but I dont think GS will be happy with you for deleting it over "wrong" dates.

I wouldn't delete the log.

I have friends who have found caches in advance but NOT signed the log. Then they return on a day they need that cache and sign and date it (they were doing a fill in the calendar thing, not a streak). I've not heard of anyone purposely writing the wrong date (or perhaps no date at all), but I'm sure it does happen.

So, people make nonsense challenge like 'find a cache eacht day 500 days in row' (yeah really, and what if I'm sick, or I just find everything in my vicinity and make further drives 2 times a week, or just optimize my trips in other way) or 'find 10 wherigos in a single day' (yeah, sure, especially those that need 2 hours to play, simulators win, or playing another day and logging in a single day, or playing with logs, what's the difference) or 'find 400 caches a day' (yeah, sure, there are runners that run 100 km a day, but it's still less than 2 minutes to find, and in 99,99% cases it's stupid driving with a car in a forest and 'searching' for caches specially placed for such rides so there's no searching involved).

So, people make nonsense challenge like 'find a cache eacht day 500 days in row' (yeah really, and what if I'm sick, or I just find everything in my vicinity and make further drives 2 times a week, or just optimize my trips in other way)...

In those cases, I wouldn't log a "Found it" for that challenge cache. Fortunately, I don't need to find every cache out there.

Yes its cheating and stupid, but I dont think GS will be happy with you for deleting it over "wrong" dates.

Its bogus. We have been tasked with monitoring our caches for bogus logs. The logs are a part of the history of the cache. Let's say the cache went missing on Monday, but the streaker logs that he found it on Tuesday. All looks well with the cache, but really it isn't. His log cheats the next cacher to come along, as well as the cache owner, who assumes all is well because the streaker reported it as found.

So, people make nonsense challenge like 'find a cache eacht day 500 days in row' (yeah really, and what if I'm sick, or I just find everything in my vicinity and make further drives 2 times a week, or just optimize my trips in other way)...

In those cases, I wouldn't log a "Found it" for that challenge cache. Fortunately, I don't need to find every cache out there.

+1

You probably wouldn't log caches which someone from your team has found when you weren't there or you were sleeping at the time. But there are people who do. And I doubt it's just about smileys. It's about that whole challenge cram and saying 'yeah, I did it, 600 caches a day'.

You probably wouldn't log caches which someone from your team has found when you weren't there or you were sleeping at the time. But there are people who do. And I doubt it's just about smileys. It's about that whole challenge cram and saying 'yeah, I did it, 600 caches a day'.

I think stats and badges play a role in this as well.

I think stats and badges play a role in this as well.

I think that a lot of this is inter-related and includes power trails, challenge caches, achievement based souvenirs, tftc or cut-in-paste logs, throw downs, and a general trend towards "all about the numbers". Of course, we can all blame it on smart phones or Mr. Yuck (I'm going to miss him around here).

I personally wouldn't mind if I were a cache owner. So many other things in life to worry about and it's not like he's cheating on an entrance exam to Stanford. Small potatoes.

Its bogus. We have been tasked with monitoring our caches for bogus logs. The logs are a part of the history of the cache. Let's say the cache went missing on Monday, but the streaker logs that he found it on Tuesday. All looks well with the cache, but really it isn't. His log cheats the next cacher to come along, as well as the cache owner, who assumes all is well because the streaker reported it as found.

Lets not forget this infamous quote.

Bickering over the rules of a cache "find" was never the intent of Geocaching.com. There's no prize, no leaderboard, and no trophy, so there's no reason to get your knickers in a twist about anyone else's definition of a find.

Yes... not signing the logsheet and logging it online is a bogus log and GS allowed us to deleted those logs if we choice to do so.

But over just bogus dates... I dont think GS will stand with any CO if they delete those logs. Don't get me wrong I do agree its a bogus log...but there is no guideline over the date thing.

I would love to see where GS stand on this situation...but I got a good feeling they they will stand on the finder side.

Of course, we can all blame it on smart phones or Mr. Yuck (I'm going to miss him around here).

Wait, what happened to Mr Yuck (or the cacher formerly known as TheWhiteUrkel)?

Yeah .... me too. He always seemed to have good words of wisdom.

I have a friend that was doing some streak or other, and he just left unfound caches in the area so he could go out the days he needed a cache, and not have to go far.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

Lets not forget this infamous quote.

Bickering over the rules of a cache "find" was never the intent of Geocaching.com. There's no prize, no leaderboard, and no trophy, so there's no reason to get your knickers in a twist about anyone else's definition of a find.

Yes... not signing the logsheet and logging it online is a bogus log and GS allowed us to deleted those logs if we choice to do so.

But over just bogus dates... I dont think GS will stand with any CO if they delete those logs. Don't get me wrong I do agree its a bogus log...but there is no guideline over the date thing.

I would love to see where GS stand on this situation...but I got a good feeling they they will stand on the finder side.

That "famous quote" is one man's opinion. But did you even read what I said? My problem isn't about the leaderboard. My problem is false history and misleading information about the cache itself.

Of course, we can all blame it on smart phones or Mr. Yuck (I'm going to miss him around here).

I have a friend that was doing some streak or other, and he just left unfound caches in the area so he could go out the days he needed a cache, and not have to go far.

I thought Mr Yuck always contributed to a positive forum community experience. He was a wealth of knowledge about geocaching and forum history. Sad day. I'd sure like to know why!

But anyway... to those that have posted that they see this (being concerned about deliberately logging the wrong date) there is more to it than simply cheating the system. When you do that, you are misleading both the cache owner, and future finders about the state of the cache.

I thought Mr Yuck always contributed to a positive forum community experience. He was a wealth of knowledge about geocaching and forum history. Sad day. I'd sure like to know why!

+1

But anyway... to those that have posted that they see this (being concerned about deliberately logging the wrong date) there is more to it than simply cheating the system. When you do that, you are misleading both the cache owner, and future finders about the state of the cache.

Agree about Mr.Yuck. I've always seen his posts as a positive contribution even during the times I disagree with his opinion.

As for fudging dates, I wouldn't bat an eyelid over a day or two (though I might roll my eyes if someone brought it to my attention). But if someone finds 30 caches in a day and spreads the logs over a month, yeah, that could be very misleading.

What? He left for good?

Hmm... If that is true, looks like my 4WD thread was the last one he commented on.

To stay on topic

Agree about Mr.Yuck. I've always seen his posts as a positive contribution even during the times I disagree with his opinion.

As for fudging dates, I wouldn't bat an eyelid over a day or two (though I might roll my eyes if someone brought it to my attention). But if someone finds 30 caches in a day and spreads the logs over a month, yeah, that could be very misleading.

When trying to track down a missing trackable, even one day can bugger up a search.

Edited by Andronicus

When trying to track down a missing trackable, even one day can bugger up a search.

I know people who log a day or two later, and never bothered adjusting the system default date, either because they couldn't be bothered, or they didn't realize they made a mistake. Tracking down a missing trackable is usually an exercise in futility in my experience.

+1

+2 Can a permanent ban ever be reversed?

+1

If it weren't for women's hair styling, I would laugh at that question. But obviously permanents can be temporary.

To the OP... yes, it is streaking.

+3

Mr Yuck got a permanent ban?

Anyone know why?

Those of us that have perused his most recent postings have no idea. Probably more of a historical thing, possibly because he would occasionally (and very cautiously) mention alternative sites. Who knows?

But as for cheating on logging dates just so you can claim a streak... that's like wearing a toupee and a girdle to make yourself look young! You haven't accomplished a streak just because you logged a streak! That is just embarrassingly silly. Do you agree?

+3

Mr Yuck got a permanent ban?

Anyone know why?

Those of us that have perused his most recent postings have no idea. Probably more of a historical thing, possibly because he would occasionally (and very cautiously) mention alternative sites. Who knows?

But as for cheating on logging dates just so you can claim a streak... that's like wearing a toupee and a girdle to make yourself look young! You haven't accomplished a streak just because you logged a streak! That is just embarrassingly silly. Do you agree?

Agreed :)

Although I see it frequently in my local area.

I can only assume that Mr Yuck received 'offline' communications and failed to heed requests therein <_<