Buried caches Allowed or Not?

jellis

That looks pretty bad to me, but last time I complained to a reviewer about a buried cache, the cache owner made a big production out of saying they had just "gently scooped" the dirt/debris out of the way so it wasn't really buried.

Yeah they always say that.

Technically, yes. Buried, according to more recent interpretations of the buried guideline. But not buried when looked at in light of the original reason for the guideline (land managers picturing geocachers running around their park with shovels). I can't see a reasonable land manager getting upset with something like this, but I can certainly see reviewers not being happy with it.

Also not sure what the true reason they moved the caches from the Carrizo Plain, but when I wanted to go visit it I read from the BLM website that they don't want anything left behind.

The Carrizo Plain is a grand and glorious place. Please help us in our efforts to maintain the integrity of the biological, cultural and historical resources found here. Please read and practice these "Leave No Trace" guidelines.

I would say caches would be considered something left behind. There are lots of caches out there.

It's buried! And blatantly so!

In the video, you can see the dirt they dug out of where they hid the cache!

Exactly the kind of thing that gives geocaching a bad name, and promotes more restrictions being heaped on the rest of us.

I would bet my old GPSr that the reviewer didn't see that video when they approved it!

I'd also bet that obsolete old thing that a reviewer will be taking notice of it now that it's posted here! <_<

Edited by BC & MsKitty

I came across this series where they even include a video I how to find and put back their cache.

So maybe desert caches are allowed to have them because there is nothing out there?

GC4PX7R

Jellis, you have been around long enough to know the guidelines are interpreted and enforced differently in different regions and sometimes differently among the various reviewers within the same region. The volunteer reviewers are exercising their judgement. So what was your real purpose in posting this example?

I came across this series where they even include a video I how to find and put back their cache.

So maybe desert caches are allowed to have them because there is nothing out there?

GC4PX7R

Jellis, you have been around long enough to know the guidelines are interpreted and enforced differently in different regions and sometimes differently among the various reviewers within the same region. The volunteer reviewers are exercising their judgement. So what was your real purpose in posting this example?

I think a lot of us are willing to concede some wiggle room in the interpretation of the guidelines, but this is a pretty egregious example of destructive cache placement.

GC4PX7R

I disagree. I predict These will be history by the end of today. :ph34r:

Anyone remember "wooden stake guy"? The guy had a power trail in the desert, and the "caches" were wooden stakes lying on the ground (not pounded in). No, they were not buried, but they were a power trail of identically hidden caches that didn't meet the guidelines.

By the way, cache publish date November 11th. You tube upload date, November 12th. :o

GC4PX7R

No matter where a buried cache is a buried cache

I disagree. I predict These will be history by the end of today. :ph34r:

Anyone remember "wooden stake guy"? The guy had a power trail in the desert, and the "caches" were wooden stakes lying on the ground (not pounded in). No, they were not buried, but they were a power trail of identically hidden caches that didn't meet the guidelines.

By the way, cache publish date November 11th. You tube upload date, November 12th. :o

desismileys_6937.gif

Edited by BC & MsKitty

What about those little nanos with a coin, rock, or bottle cap glued to the top and pushed into the ground. Those seem to be popular, and similar to the cache in question in this thread..

Come on now ... The nanos you're referring to don't have to have a couple of shovels full of dirt spread around beside them from the hole that's been dug like the one in the video!

Edited by BC & MsKitty

What about those little nanos with a coin, rock, or bottle cap glued to the top and pushed into the ground. Those seem to be popular, and similar to the cache in question in this thread..

Come on now ... The nanos you're referring to don't have to have a couple of shovels full of dirt spread around beside them from the hole that's been dug like the one in the video!

Buried is buried. If those little nanos meet guidelines, so does any other container.

Buried is buried. If those little nanos meet guidelines, so does any other container.

Whatever you say <_<

As much as those annoy me, I displace more dirt just walking to most caches and I'm willing to let those types slide on the rules.

I think if something like a hand spade or shovel is necessary to install it, then that would be roughly where I would draw the line.

As much as those annoy me, I displace more dirt just walking to most caches and I'm willing to let those types slide on the rules.

I think if something like a hand spade or shovel is necessary to install it, then that would be roughly where I would draw the line.

looks like the ones in question are buried in sand, no tools required to dig the hole, so let's just let them slide too. Besides, it's out in the desert anyway.

Have you ever came across one of those little nanos where the whole area has been raked up by geocachers looking for the cache? Not much dirt was moved hiding it, but a bulldozer was used to search for it. Sure, let's just let them slide, they do no harm.

looks like the ones in question are buried in sand, no tools required to dig the hole, so let's just let them slide too. Besides, it's out in the desert anyway.

Have you ever came across one of those little nanos where the whole area has been raked up by geocachers looking for the cache? Not much dirt was moved hiding it, but a bulldozer was used to search for it. Sure, let's just let them slide, they do no harm.

Ummm...no, I have not. I personally cannot confirm that such a thing happens.

Yep, also run across areas denuded and the cache is not even buried. Very often I find caches due to the "stomping of vegetation" effect. When you get close, stop look around, and head to the area "hammered" by cacher footstomps...Usually there are about 2-5 well stomped areas, with the cache within reach at one of them. With containers at ground level look for disturbed dirt, and the cache is usually nearby...pretty common to see leaves and dirt raked over, especially if the cache is missing.

Edited by Uncle Alaska

Also not sure what the true reason they moved the caches from the Carrizo Plain, but when I wanted to go visit it I read from the BLM website that they don't want anything left behind.

The Carrizo Plain is a grand and glorious place. Please help us in our efforts to maintain the integrity of the biological, cultural and historical resources found here. Please read and practice these "Leave No Trace" guidelines.

I would say caches would be considered something left behind. There are lots of caches out there.

The true reason it was moved from the Carrizo Plain was stated in the cache. The caches kept getting muggled because despite clear instructions not to drive to the caches, people did it anyway. Also animals had made a complete mess of the whole series too because there were no SPORs on the cans. The entire series was a mess out in the California Valley (more north of the Carrizo Plain National Monument), so I moved it to where I can maintain it easier and I made the caches all SPORs in the new spot.

Further, you can refer to the Carrizo Plain National Monument Management Plan at this site. http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/ca/pdf/bakersfield/carrizo.Par.8414.File.dat/CarrizoPlainNationalMonumentApprovedROD.pdf

Allowable Use REC-2(P): Aboveground

cache activities such as

geocaching, earthcaching, and letter

boxing may be allowed in non-sensitive

areas if the proposed site is consistent

with Monument objectives, does not

disturb sensitive resources, and BLM

provides written authorization for the

specific cache site. Unauthorized caches

would be removed. Cache activities would

not be authorized at sites that are sensitive

to Native Americans, such as Painted

Rock.

Geocaching is allowed, but again, the CPCS was not on the monument property.

Since I have SPORed everything, I suppose that video is no longer necessary. I suppose I should remove it before someone dies of a heart attack. LOL. Have a great day!

Yep, also run across areas denuded and the cache is not even buried. Very often I find caches due to the "stomping of vegetation" effect. When you get close, stop look around, and head to the area "hammered" by cacher footstomps...Usually there are about 2-5 well stomped areas, with the cache within reach at one of them. With containers at ground level look for disturbed dirt, and the cache is usually nearby...pretty common to see leaves and dirt raked over, especially if the cache is missing.

+1....geotrails, geoholes, plus probed and raked over landscape is the rule rather than the exception, its caused by folks simply trying to find a cache. In the swamp, dessert, or most woods it doesn't matter but in a landscaped area it does and we avoid such searches or resort to the clue so we don't disrupt surroundings. In searching for regular size caches in the woods I've seen areas that looked like 4 grizzly bears had been looking for honey.

True, these are no friggin' big deal. Not unlike putting a nail in a tree for a phony bird house cache. However, I still predict they will be archived. Either that, or, per the post above me, someone is going to have a heart attack. :ph34r:

EDIT: Make that 2 posts above me. I knew that would happen.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Exactly the kind of thing that gives geocaching a bad name, and promotes more restrictions being heaped on the rest of us.

I would bet my old GPSr that the reviewer didn't see that video when they approved it!

I'd also bet that obsolete old thing that a reviewer will be taking notice of it now that it's posted here! <_<

The video was uploaded on 11/12/13 and the caches didn't publish until 11/25/13. Were the caches buried? I saw no evidence of that. Just earth scooped up. I heard the guy in the video say to bury the can back into the soft soil. I don't know if that makes it a buried cache, but man does it sound like it! Get a rope!

The video was uploaded on 11/12/13 and the caches didn't publish until 11/25/13. Were the caches buried? I saw no evidence of that. Just earth scooped up. I heard the guy in the video say to bury the can back into the soft soil. I don't know if that makes it a buried cache, but man does it sound like it! Get a rope!

Wrong. All the caches were published 11/11/13, the day before 11/12/13. Pretty good, you took the link off all the cache pages! I think you're going to get away with it. :ph34r: I still have the link for the unlisted video in my browser history, but don't worry, I won't give it to anyone. :P

That is a good idea to bury that PVC pipe in the ground that the petling fits in. Just like some of the other trick and sneaky hides I have found.

I guess the tricky sneaky part is sneaking it past the reviewer and tricking them into publishing a hide that is against the guidelines.

Making that video go away sure makes the CO look guilty. :laughing:

Wrong. All the caches were published 11/11/13, the day before 11/12/13. Pretty good, you took the link off all the cache pages! I think you're going to get away with it. :ph34r: I still have the link for the unlisted video in my browser history, but don't worry, I won't give it to anyone. :P

They were published 11/25/13. They were hidden 11/11/13.

I removed it because it no longer applies. That was for the CPCS and they are now the KCCS and are all SPORed. The other method didn't work as animals just removed the cans and took them and the preforms away.

You can also debate whether the series should have been moved or been archived and replanted. I didn't want to archive and replant because despite the caches being moved and being slightly redone, they are still easy to find and the challenge is what matters.

To powertrail or not? More scandalous topics for an afternoon of fun!

Edited by elrojo14

Get a rope? No .... I don't really care all that much. Help yourself to happiness for as long as that cache lasts!

Just don't try to make it the problem of folks that try to play the game the way it should be, and that then point out caches that give the game a bad rap!

Get a rope indeed!

I just find it a little umm .... shall I say ... ill advised .... to post a video that shows the soil that was taken from the hole that was dug where it was spread in a 2 foot wide fan around the mouth of the hole

Quite a bit more than just earth scooped up! :blink:

If you're gonnna do hides like that, for Pete's sake, Don't post a link on the cache page for the world to see!

Just don't try to make it the problem of folks that try to play the game the way it should be, and that then point out caches that give the game a bad rap!

Get a rope indeed!

The game should be played however you want to play it. Worrying about other people's caches and thinking that anyone is going to find those caches and curse Groundspeak's name is comical at best. Especially since they were not dug out. Nothing will suck the life out of quality Geocaches faster than the cache gestapo trying to enforce rules that don't even apply.

But I am wasting my breath. People will always be that way. I will just keep on enjoying life, enjoying Geocaching, and enjoying the hunt.

Plus I get paid to Geocache over the summers. Life is great!

I guess it is ok to dig up a bunch of rocks and pile them, but god forbid you stick a piece of pvc into the sand... :ph34r:

Any reasonable person would consider digging up rocks AND digging holes to be destructive.

Just spent a bunch of time out in the Arizona and Nevada deserts...I know that all of those rocks didn't pile themselves at each cache location naturally. Looking around, most of the rocks occur in a half buried state. :laughing:

Get a rope indeed!

The game should be played however you want to play it. Worrying about other people's caches and thinking that anyone is going to find those caches and curse Groundspeak's name is comical at best. Especially since they were not dug out. Nothing will suck the life out of quality Geocaches faster than the cache gestapo trying to enforce rules that don't even apply.

But I am wasting my breath. People will always be that way. I will just keep on enjoying life, enjoying Geocaching, and enjoying the hunt.

Great attempt at deflection, there!

However, the issue still remains, the holes (in that video) were dug.

gravel2.jpg

hole.jpg

(Captured from the formerly linked video on your cache page.)

But hey .. it's your desert ... Who cares if geocachers go all over the place digging it up to hide caches? Certainly not me! It's just useless desert ... right?

I've just been joining in the discussion here and calling it as I see it. And as I see it that was dug. So go be my guest. Go ahead and play the game the way you think is OK. Name calling doesn't change anything.

I guess it is ok to dig up a bunch of rocks and pile them, but god forbid you stick a piece of pvc into the sand... :ph34r:

Any reasonable person would consider digging up rocks AND digging holes to be destructive.

Just spent a bunch of time out in the Arizona and Nevada deserts...I know that all of those rocks didn't pile themselves at each cache location naturally. Looking around, most of the rocks occur in a half buried state. :laughing:

Perhaps that is something worth discussing. The fact that one thing is bad does mean that another, different thing, isn't also bad.

Get a rope indeed!

(...quality Geocaches...) Is that a euphemism for buried?

(...rules that don't even apply...) How are your caches exempt from the guidelines?

The photos show that your caches violate the cache placement guidelines. The cache in the photo is an embarrassment to geocaching and your attitude is worse. BTW, why did you suddenly remove the video from the cache page?

Buried = completely hidden under ground.

Your local interpretation of guidelines may be stricter, and extend to partially buried caches.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

3. Geocaches are never buried, neither partially nor completely.

If one has to dig or create a hole in the ground when placing or finding a geocache, it is not allowed.

Now you know. :rolleyes:

Winner!! I am supprised it got this far before anyone posted this

Get a rope indeed!

:blink:

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

What a lame excuse for your over the top attitude you got there. You are acting like you are the only pebble on the beach and no guidelines applied to you. Remember this...your action(s) can/could/would cause problems for all of us down the road. Yes...we have to police our self so GS dont make more rules to keep people like you from going over the top. Being reckless by saying the game should be played "whatever" isnt the sprint of the game. If you dont like it... geocaching isnt for you.

Great attempt at deflection, there!

However, the issue still remains, the holes (in that video) were dug.

gravel2.jpg

hole.jpg

(Captured from the formerly linked video on your cache page.)

But hey .. it's your desert ... Who cares if geocachers go all over the place digging it up to hide caches? Certainly not me! It's just useless desert ... right?

I've just been joining in the discussion here and calling it as I see it. And as I see it that was dug. So go be my guest. Go ahead and play the game the way you think is OK. Name calling doesn't change anything.

The holes were not dug. As was stated, they were scooped out of the soft earth by hand. Further, those caches are no longer there. The title of the video was CPCS which no longer exists. All new placements are held down via SPOR. You have no case, but from your computer screen in Canada you think you do. Nice try.

You don't know if it is useless desert or not, you have never been there. Again, classic alarmist thinking that I am going to spoil the game for everyone else. I have not spoiled anything. However, read the logs, I have created enjoyment for many other fellow cachers who didn't seem to think my placement violated the guidelines. If you had actually been there and found my caches, you might have some credibility. As it stands, yo have none.

The photos show that your caches violate the cache placement guidelines. The cache in the photo is an embarrassment to geocaching and your attitude is worse. BTW, why did you suddenly remove the video from the cache page?
You are an embarrassment to Geocaching. Take your snobby attitude elsewhere. We are busy enjoying Geocaching in these parts. People that take this game this seriously are an embarrassment to the human race.

Get a rope indeed!

:blink:

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

What a lame excuse for your over the top attitude you got there. You are acting like you are the only pebble on the beach and no guidelines applied to you. Remember this...your action(s) can/could/would cause problems for all of us down the road. Yes...we have to police our self so GS dont make more rules to keep people like you from going over the top. Being reckless by saying the game should be played "whatever" isnt the sprint of the game. If you dont like it... geocaching isnt for you.

Call it what you want, but many a fine cacher has enjoyed the series both in its old scooped out location and in its new SPORed location. It seems the only issue comes from people that have never set foot in the area and seem to think they can evaluate and dictate the way we do things here locally. Geocaching is for me and it has been for quite some time. If you think the world is going to end because a cache looks like it is buried when it isn't, maybe Geocaching isn't for you.

Man some people will never be happy until they take all the fun out of everything. Take a deep breath, realize it is going to be okay, and go enjoy yourself. You spend too much time on these forums. Go find some Geocaches. And thank God none of you are from my area. I'd want to stop caching right away and shoot myself you are so bent out of shape over something you don't even know about.

Edited by elrojo14

Get a rope indeed!

The game should be played however you want to play it.

I have this great idea for a cache. I'm going to wire a bridge with explosives and fireworks and when the ammo can is opened (a mile away behind safety glass), it will trigger the bridge to blow up and set off a really cool fireworks show. Thanks for the suggestion to play the game however I want!

Now, yes, that is ridiculously over the top...but in the realm of geocaching, so is your idea that you can flaunt the guidelines and when you get called on it, act like you're a special snowflake and all the hand wringing is silly.

The true reason it was moved from the Carrizo Plain was stated in the cache. The caches kept getting muggled because despite clear instructions not to drive to the caches, people did it anyway. Also animals had made a complete mess of the whole series too because there were no SPORs on the cans.

Well I agree on that point.

You put caches out in high numbers and you think they are going to follow YOUR rules?

And as for the animals messing it up. I think you got that backwards. They were there first and you messed up their homes knowing cachers will come and tromp all over.