Advice for a Rookie Collector

shootingstarco

I am a beginner coin collector from central PA and up until recently most of my collection has been earned on various geotrails around my area and a few that were more than a day trip away. I enjoy looking at the coin earned after the trail requirements are fulfilled and feeling accomplished and proud to have finished that goal. I would like to continue knocking out geotrails and earning the coins for them but I would also like to start collecting geocoins that are not just from geotrails. Any advice from the veterans or even the knowledgable novice that could help me out in building my collection would be appreciated greatly. Any and all info will be welcomed.

There are at least 2 Geocoin clubs and many sites sell geocoins, look above "Reference Guide for Geocoins and Trackables" those are trusted sites. As well keep coming to this site as often geocoins are offered here went they go on sale. Another way is to attend the many events as sometimes they offer geocoins for sale, thinking of a few would be the PI (Mar14), May the 4th be with you, 15 Years of Geocaching event, Allegany State Park Geobash and GeoWoodstock in Maryland just to start you out with a few :) and then there is the E place but watch your pocket book this hobby can get expensive if you try to buy everything.

Be patient. There are thousands of different coins out there.

Take a look at everything offered, keep an eye on this Forum and there are groups on that social media site dedicated to geocoins and trackables. Feel free to e-mail me through my profile and I'll give you a few of them to check out.

Lol, Bartians, if he's here it's probably too late already!

My suggestion is collect what you like, and like the coins you collect. Don't get caught up in getting coins just because others say how "cool," "Limited," or hard to get they are. If a coin doesn't mean anything to you, don't worry about it, let it go. There are plenty out there that will.

pick a geocoin theme you might like to start with, my favorites remain dog geocoins, and see what you come up with ! There are some masochistic collectors who simply must have at least one of each, but we on the geocoin forum forgive them for their mental instability.

ILYK

ILYL

pick a geocoin theme you might like to start with, my favorites remain dog geocoins, and see what you come up with ! There are some masochistic collectors who simply must have at least one of each, but we on the geocoin forum forgive them for their mental instability.

ILYK

ILYL

:oc47d0c8d-cf2e-470d-8aa0-5f60291cdaad_l.jpg

Activate the ones you plan to keep and have people discover. Don't activate the ones you want to trade. I have never bought duplicates intending to trade later, so I don't know. I also don't have any desire to own non-trackables, so I can't help you there either.

Sometimes you can buy geocoins from other geocachers that are already activated.

You adopt these geocoins after you buy them.

Those geocoins are usually a bit lower in price, although sometimes they are hard to come by, which raises prices again.

You must make up your mind if you want to buy activated geocoins for your collection.

In any case; Set a budget and stick to it

1) You can find whole threads on activating vs not activating. Personally, I don't activate. If you ever want to sell or trade, you'll find a wider audience and potentially more value. But you won't be able to collect all the really cool icons. That's one downside that I can live with, errrrr.

2) Doubling up? I used to think that was cuckoo. 2 or 3 years into it, now I occasionally double up or triple up (ugh) on a coin I perceive as "valuable" for trading or selling or missions. Remember my earlier post? Delete this forum address from your browser. NOW!!

3) There are plenty of older non trackable coins that are pretty neat and valuable. This Mauison PADI diver nontrackables is one of my favorites, especially since I'm a diver!

e0574f61-78f9-4647-853f-eec301f1fe53.jpg1c8e3560-bcff-4a07-97bd-f793991b3ed7.jpg

Geocoin collecting options are endless. You will morph from year to year as your tastes and desires change. I've found it to be quite a journey to be enjoyed. There's something for everyone. Most importantly is the community and kind-hearted people you'll interact with on the forums, Facebook, and in person.

I hope I can be of some help because not too long ago at all I was, and still am a rookie collector. A good friend (and very seasoned collector/cacher) told me to study the pinned topic at the top backwards to the first page, and from the first page to the last page to familiarize myself with some of the more highly sought after coins. I did this and it helped me tremendously down the road in acquiring coins I eventually learned about that weren't on the list. Find themed coins that really interest you. I spent LOTS and LOTS of money very quickly acquiring any and every coin I could. DO NOT DO THIS! I was all over the place and had no certain theme to collect or favorite designer or anything I was just trying to get quantity and not quality :( Find a theme and SEARCH! Coins can get very expensive trust me, but if you find a theme that you enjoy go after it! This forum is very beneficial to learn, use the search bar, ask questions, you will find most people will go out of there way to help you in this hobby. I hope this can be of some help for you. Good luck

I am a beginner coin collector from central PA and up until recently most of my collection has been earned on various geotrails around my area and a few that were more than a day trip away. I enjoy looking at the coin earned after the trail requirements are fulfilled and feeling accomplished and proud to have finished that goal. I would like to continue knocking out geotrails and earning the coins for them but I would also like to start collecting geocoins that are not just from geotrails. Any advice from the veterans or even the knowledgable novice that could help me out in building my collection would be appreciated greatly. Any and all info will be welcomed.

Stop now unless you're willing to look back at all the money you spent on metal blanks and wonder "What the heck was I thinking??"

My suggestion would be to buy some cheaper coins that you like and then maybe you can trade for some others you like better. Do not try to get every coin made as some of us have! LOL. Collect your favorite things, designs and see how it goes. And of course check out all of my designs!