How to do a projection?

sakdoss

Hello,

I don't understand an instruction in the description of a geocache. It says:

Project from the first waypoint for 348° and 475 m.

I am not sure what a projection is in this context and how I am suposed to do it.

The first waypoint is N 48° 40.475 E 002° 08.902. Could you explain me what to do?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I am not sure what a projection is in this context and how I am suposed to do it.

The first waypoint is N 48° 40.475 E 002° 08.902. Could you explain me what to do?

Thanks in advance!

What model of gps are you using? Projecting a waypoint instructions should be in the owner's manual.

Google "projecting a waypoint".

Sample of what you will find with the Google search:

http://www.atlanticgeocaching.com/index.php/2012-03-05-22-43-59/articles-a-tutorials/12-how-to-project-a-waypoint

B.

Hello,

Thanks in advance!

When you reach those coordinates (1st waypoint), you must use a compass, find North (0°/360°), after that find 348° (must be NW), and walk 475 meters on that same direction... use the compass to adjust from time to time, or if you need to contour any obstacle.

Or, you can do this same calculation on GoogleEarth, by instance.

Edited by Ruidealmeida

Hello,

Thanks in advance!

Depends upon your GPS, as others have said. Garmin? If so, one easy way:

From the point at which you are to do the projection, "Mark a Waypoint"

Go to "Waypoint Manager" and select the waypoint (it will have been numbered when created) you just created.

Scroll down to "Project Waypoint"

Enter bearing (348) and distance (0475m)

Now you have a new waypoint at your 'destination' that you can navigate towards.

When you reach those coordinates (1st waypoint), you must use a compass, find North (0°/360°), after that find 348° (must be NW), and walk 475 meters on that same direction... use the compass to adjust from time to time, or if you need to contour any obstacle.

Or, you can do this same calculation on GoogleEarth, by instance.

See above. It's possible and easy to do in the field with the GPS itself if it supports the normal Garmin projection feature. It's a good bit more accurate than a compass, especially over longer distances, too.

If they don't there is couple other ones you can use. One you can use if you have a smartphone. It's an App called GCTools. It does projections, Rot13 converisons, some ciphers and some other neat tools. Another thing I like about it is the flashlight.

The other I use on my computer is FizzyCalc created by FizzyMagic.