Tricks for Wet Logs?

Curious me had to Google "Wet paper mold"

OK, that's it. Adding "hazmat suit" to geocaching supplies.

Curious me had to Google "Moldy hazmat suits".

Antiseptic wipes. Bring 'em.

I'm actually more concerned about breathing it in, though not concerned enough to wear a face mask when caching. I always carry wet wipes with me when caching.

Speaking of antiseptic wipes, I read with some wry amusement about the recall of some antiseptic wipe due to bacterial contamination. Wait, what?

There's also news some time ago that Triclosan, one of the chemicals used for antibacterial soap, may cause muscle problems.

Edited by Chrysalides

I ran into a wet log a couple days ago. It was one of the first beautiful sunny days we've had in the last six months so I laid the log on a black rock to dry in the sun. I then laid back against the hillside, pulled my hat over my eyes and took a nap. When I woke up the log was dry and I was feeling great.

I ran into a wet log a couple days ago. It was one of the first beautiful sunny days we've had in the last six months so I laid the log on a black rock to dry in the sun. I then laid back against the hillside, pulled my hat over my eyes and took a nap. When I woke up the log was dry and I was feeling great.

Hope you did a tick check!

Hope you did a tick check!

No ticks where I was hanging out, just dry, barren desert :) Besides, ticks aren't interested in my green blood.... ;)

Edited by GELOS

At the beginning, I did that things with drying others' logbooks almost every time. Now it depends on the location, the container and the owner. If the owner looks alive and the location is protected from rain/snow and the container is good, then I'll do this little maintenance. If, for example, the logsheet is inside a cracked tic-tac plastic box I see no reason to waste time on drying the paper - it will be wet again in a day or two.

To protect my own caches from humidity I choose waterproof containers (many of them I do with my own hands) and choose proper hiding places. No caches hidden "under a bush" or "between roots of a big tree" in our climate, for instance. When I move to Rome or Valencia my approach will probably change :)

Both caches I found today were wet. One was nothing but a tiny, torn baggie (containing a sopping wet log paper) stuck in a tiny hole in a log. I think originally the hole had some kind of lid but even so there was no watertight container. I sat for a while on a mossy log and dried the log paper in the wind and sun.

Second cache was a "waterproof" phone case that was also wet inside with an assortment of soggy log papers, and a pencil with a broken lead covered in thick mold (no pencil sharpener). I dried the container and the contents out the best I could. I removed the mold-covered pencil and left a shawty pen. I'll let the CO know in case he wants to put another pencil in.

I honestly don't get what part of "water-tight container" cache hiders don't get. :unsure: There was a child's pipe cleaner bracelet in one cache that I'd never let a child of mine wear since it was grey in places. Yuck! I left the bracelet but the mold on the pencil was 1/4 inch high!

Both caches I found today were wet. One was nothing but a tiny, torn baggie (containing a sopping wet log paper) stuck in a tiny hole in a log. I think originally the hole had some kind of lid but even so there was no watertight container. I sat for a while on a mossy log and dried the log paper in the wind and sun.

Second cache was a "waterproof" phone case that was also wet inside with an assortment of soggy log papers, and a pencil with a broken lead covered in thick mold (no pencil sharpener). I dried the container and the contents out the best I could. I removed the mold-covered pencil and left a shawty pen. I'll let the CO know in case he wants to put another pencil in.

I honestly don't get what part of "water-tight container" cache hiders don't get. :unsure: There was a child's pipe cleaner bracelet in one cache that I'd never let a child of mine wear since it was grey in places. Yuck! I left the bracelet but the mold on the pencil was 1/4 inch high!

I actually dread finding a cache with any toys in it when I have my kids with me. More often than not everything in it needs a good soaking in bleach water and a scrubbing with alcohol wipes before I'd let my kids play with them.