Add TIME to the main screen while geocaching

findertwo

I have my Oregon 600 setup with all the Geocache settings. This results with the top of the home screen display looking like this:

Cache Name

Compass - - Distance to cache

Cache specifics

I checked the owners manual but couldn't find anything besides the this top block being replaced by the TIME.

Is there anyway I could add TIME to my current setup? I know that by pressing the power button the time and battery condition display, but I was hoping to see it while I'm geocaching without pressing the side button.

You've selected the "Geocaching Dashboard", which doesn't include a time display. If you leave the Geocaching Dashboard on the home page (which is a pretty cool idea!), you may set up the Compass page with four useful data fields, including time. Switch to the compass while hunting caches, and have the time in view. On the "Small Data Fields" dashboard, you may choose four fields of data, such as destination (which will be the currently selected cache name), distance to next (distance to that cache), location (lat/lon), and time.

You could use small data fields on the home page, but then you won't have that neat Geocache info. So I'd suggest reviewing that data, then switching to the Compass to begin the hunt. But as you've seen, there are a lot of ways to customize things to suit one's style.

When using Small Data Fields, tap any field to change what will be displayed in that field.

Here are some pictures of available dashboards:

http://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com/Dashboards

Be careful with that Geocaching Dashboard. When no cache is selected, it seems to show a nearby unfound cache by default (yet its map is not navigating, and the cache page is not selected as it would be if you had clicked "Go" to hunt a particular cache), which may cause confusion at times.

Edited by kunarion

Be careful with that Geocaching Dashboard. When no cache is selected, it seems to show a nearby unfound cache by default (yet its map is not navigating, and the cache page is not selected as it would be if you had clicked "Go" to hunt a particular cache), which may cause confusion at times.

Another caution with the Geocaching Dashboard: On both my eTrex 30 and GPSMAP 64s, the compass points to the nearest unfound cache, regardless of what you are actually navigating to. By that I mean, if you are navigating to a waypoint, the compass will point to the nearest geocache, not the waypoint that you are navigating to.

You can have lots of fun with the Trip Computer screen, too. Every field there is configurable. I put the Pointer in the upper left and Heading in the upper right. Same functionality as the compass screen, just split up into two data fields. And then you have alllll those extra data fields to play with. laugh.gif

Another caution with the Geocaching Dashboard: On both my eTrex 30 and GPSMAP 64s, the compass points to the nearest unfound cache, regardless of what you are actually navigating to. By that I mean, if you are navigating to a waypoint, the compass will point to the nearest geocache, not the waypoint that you are navigating to.

Yeah, on my Oregon 600 I was navigating to coordinates that I entered by hand, it tried to bring me to the nearest geocache. Fortunately it was in the opposite direction and quite obvious it was pointing the wrong way. Haven't used the geocaching dashboard since.

Have never used the Geocaching Dashboard when geocaching, favoring instead a carefully selected set of 4 items on the compass page.

My own preferences when caching: first is menu selection name, (is appearance on screen):

Upper Left - Waypoint at Dest ('Destination') (I preload the name with good stuff like GC code, diff/terr, etc using GSAK)

Upper Right - Distance to Destination ('Dist to Dest')

Lower Left - Location (lat/lon) ('Location')

Lower Right - Accuracy of GPS ('GPS Accuracy')