Caches placed in a river?

My son is looking at placing a cache in the Columbia River. We have a pelican case with a waterproof bag in it. My question is does anybody have better cache ideas? I saw a video (I cannot find it now) where someone had a large lock n lock, filled with concrete, with a smaller lock n lock inside it. I am not sure if it is better to weigh it down or anchor it somehow.

My son is looking at placing a cache in the Columbia River. We have a pelican case with a waterproof bag in it. My question is does anybody have better cache ideas? I saw a video (I cannot find it now) where someone had a large lock n lock, filled with concrete, with a smaller lock n lock inside it. I am not sure if it is better to weigh it down or anchor it somehow.

See this thread for some suggestions.

In river huh. Water very powerful, It will surprise you and move it no matter what you do.

Flood levels make it even stronger, plus the bottom of the river will get washed out.

If you do hide it in a river you should place the hide in a back water area. Much calmer, but the water

will still be moving. So it may move still. I have a river series. Before I hid them I did my research

to find public land along the river. Some of the land is acsessible from roads, some by water only.

Just when I thought that some would be flood safe. They went on there merry way to the Gulf.

Or maybe got caught in brances along the way. But they are gone and replaced.

I have to hang them high enough to avoid the spring flood levels. My recomendation is look for

public land and use it. Hang them high, I have one 20 feet up. Hint says you need a long freaking TOTT.

Have fun.

We found a good one last year that was anchored to the shore with a rope. There was an empty container under/near the rock that the rope was tied to, so if you found that, you eventually put two and two together to realize that the actual cache was at the end of the rope.

We found a good one last year that was anchored to the shore with a rope. There was an empty container under/near the rock that the rope was tied to, so if you found that, you eventually put two and two together to realize that the actual cache was at the end of the rope.

How often did someone sign a piece of paper, put it in the empty container, and call it a find?

How often did someone sign a piece of paper, put it in the empty container, and call it a find?

When we found it, there wasn't any paper in it that I recall. I vaguely recall a laminated note indicating that the real cache isn't that, but I might be confusing that with something else.

I wouldn't be surprised if that did happen, but it seemed like most people found the real thing and gave it a favourite point. It's in a village some distance from town, so traffic is limited to a handful of actual locals and then people from Ottawa who care enough to travel out there to cache. If it was here in Ottawa, I'd expect more traffic and more people not finding the actual cache.

In addition to being in the water, it's just a fun thing to find. It was some sort of plumbing apparatus that you had to open, and then the log was in a match container or something inside that. So anyone who does just find the container on shore is really missing out.