Mark your calendars!

enfanta

A team of dedicated volunteers and I have been working, nay, slaving night and day to bring you this.

Please make time in your busy schedules for it. I think it'll be a lot of fun.

And if it isn't I'll give the list of administrators I hacked out of their private chat.

Oh, feel free here to ask me any questions you may have.

Care the Deception of Imitative Administrator

Excellent questions, MissJenn.

And the answers are: yes, 2-5 and I sure hope so. To get you started, here are some other answers.

These will all be brand-new caches. Some will have the Official Blessing of Geocaching.com and others will be renegade caches, there for the pure love of the hunt! (In other words, if you find all ten caches, you may not end up with ten smilie faces on your cache page. But that's life.)

When you email me for your registration packet, please include a mailing address. This isn't something I can email to you. Good old-fashioned stamp 'n' envelope time.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE FROM CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA TO ATTEND! Will the locals have the advantage over you? Perhaps: all the more reason to sucker one onto your team.

Next?

quote:
Sounds interesting, are you hiding all ten caches in the park??

HA!

You should be so lucky.

This is the CENTRAL PA Geocaching Scavenger Hunt. They could be anywhere in the county.

Or surrounding counties.

You just won't know until the day of the event.

bwahahahhaha!

icon_eek.gif Be on the look out PA residents. Some of New Jersey's finest cachers are coming inot your area. Team Jersey Devil (unless we change the name) will do anything and everything to find a cache. Team formed by: Frolickin, Njski, SunCrush, Trauma & ?????? Stay tunned to find out!!! icon_eek.gif

Let's talk about teams a bit more, please. Another Central PA cacher, Liggles, had some good questions about clarifying what is allowed as a team. She gave the example of how teams work during birding events, needing so many on the team to have seen and verified the sighting of a bird to have it added to the team's "count." Along those lines, do so many on a geocaching team have to "sight" a cache for it to count for their team or can a team of 10 cachers split up, each team member log a separate find and have all finds count for the same team?

needing my ducks in a row... icon_wink.gif

t

I really wish we could come but I was nearly skinned the last time I drug her half way across the state. We had a blast but poor Shado gets nervous any time she leaves the county.

But I would suggest someone take a printed copy of the cache page and make Enfanta read it with all due enthusiasm before the commencement of the hunt.

Eeyore

A rocking chair or a porch swing with an old person in it is a histroy lesson.

One: Eeyore and Shadow are NOT allowed to not attend. Period.

Two: A team is 2-5 people with half the team required at each cache find. If the judges discover that you're splitting up into 5 one-person ninja stealth attack squadrons and getting all the caches too quickly, not only will you NOT get ice cream at the potluck, we will bring out the big CHEATER stamp and apply it liberally to your person.

I am working on the pre-registration packets and hope to mail them out by Friday. Be sure to include a mailing address when requesting your packet!

AND YOU ARE NOT A TEAM UNTIL YOU'VE REGISTERED!

Come on, folks. Step up, send me a mailing address, fill out the form and send it back: we have to know how many people will be there otherwise how will we know how many silver dollars to put in the caches?

Some notes to point out:

Blue Spring Park is located at 230 Wagner Street (for you mapquest.com folks) in Boalsburg, PA 16827.

DOGS ARE ALLOWED IN THE PARK!! However, they must be on a leash at all times and the leash must not be more than 6' long. And, I shouldn't have to add this, you must immediately clean up after your dog. So, when they're done with the potato salad, that plate and fork go INSTANTLY into the trash can. Don't make me tell you twice.

"A Pavilion Reservation Permit doe NOT reserve or entitle the group to exclusive use of tennis courts, basketball courts, volleyball courts, or play areas."

We must remember to share.

"...no fires shall be set in any park..."

So don't get any ideas, folks.

Ode to a Pigeon: Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, You Lookin' at Me? YOU LOOKIN' AT ME?! (b. katt, 7/14/03)

A bump for the week-end forum perusers!

I've started mailing out registration packets, most of the caches are done, the judges have been selected: we're well on our way to a memorable event.

But it won't be fun if YOU're not there!

Pre-register!

Ode to a Pigeon: Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, You Lookin' at Me? YOU LOOKIN' AT ME?! (b. katt, 7/14/03)

Solo Cacher lookign for Other Solo cachers to team up for Enfanta's Event!!!!

I have 26 finds and 10 hides to my credit. some of them very difficult.

have car, mountain bike, and Garmin GPS. and mounts for said GPS on both bike and car...

Enfanta's sending me registration packet...

Give me a Tall ship, and a Star to steer her bye...

The White Fleet....

Bump...Enfanta really doesn't want "team EGO-internet" to do a solo venture....So I will team up with any other solo adventurer....

This region was my stomping grounds while I was in college, now it's also been 20 years since I've been in this area, and I know that lots has changed...

Geo-packrat

Give me a Tall ship, and a Star to steer her bye...

The White Fleet....

Dear enfanta,

I would like to attend your event, however, my dog Gus will not let me go without her. Is she welcome at your event?

Devotee of Gus

Dear DOG,

Yes! All dogs are welcome to attend the Scavenger Hunt. Blue Spring park allows dogs, as long as they are always on a lead which does not exceed 6 feet.

I am not certain that all the cache sites allow dogs as I have not visited all the cache sites. It did seem that the site for the micro cache has a posted notice stating no dogs, however, there was a dog standing in front of it and I couldn't be sure. icon_wink.gif

Dear enfanta,

I was wondering if we will be allowed to present digital photos of hunted items when we check in at the end of the day. Will viewing them on the camera be ok or do we need to have them downloaded onto a laptop or something?

Questions With Exceptionally Right Tone

Dear Qwerty,

Yes, viewing the items is sufficient. I suspect most people will be doing this. There are no penalties or bonuses for how information is presented. Paper, digital, video: it's all the same.

But don't tell the post office or Xerox that.

Dear enfanta,

How can I be expected to bring enough to share if I don't know how many people will be attending?

Emily, Putting Off Shopping Trip

Dear E. POST,

Too true. To date it looks like approximately 30 people will be in attendence, with 7 more dipping their toes in and out of the Scavenger Hunt surf, uncertain of the waters. It is possible we may have even more if we get an unregistered team. Drink, dessert, meat-type foodstuff, salad, meat-type food stuff, cookies, soda, appetizer, salad, drink, drink, salad, and drink are the participants offerings so far. Not including my World Famous In Eastsound Potato Salad.

I hope that helps your planning.

Dear enfanta,

I registered our team and they all want to sleep in. I say we should get there early because You Never Know. What do you say?

Really Eager And Dropped Your Bribe Off Yesterday

Dear READY BOY,

Do not listen to your team mates. When you arrive at the event site at 9 am you will be given your Registration Packet containing ALL THE NECESSARY COORDINATES FOR THE EVENT. The game does not officially start until 10:15. You may want to use this time to plot a course and get a bead on things.

By the way, exactly where did you drop that bribe??

Dear Enfanta,

I really want to camp out in the area for the weekend, but I want to be where the cool campfire parties are. Where should I pitch my tent?

Signed,

Many Other People Are Requesting

"(Mopar is) good to have around and kick. Like an ugly puppy" - Jeremy

Dear Mopar,

My Siberian Husky is very interested in attending the event, are dogs allowed at the campfire? SHe really would like a hotdog and some smores, caching makes her hungry, well actually she eats all the time.

Ce'Nedra & Keetah Pup

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

I will most likely be staying at Hemlock Acres Campground. It is about 15 miles from the park. They have tent sites and electrical hook-ups. It seems to be a small campground, but they have plenty of space. The phone number is 814-349-5955. There is no website. I have more info on it if anyone is interested.

Stumblefoot

quote:
Originally posted by enfanta:

Dear MOPAR

Looks like your question has been answered!

enfanta

Not really. I tend to prefer state parks over private campgrounds. However, I'm willing to listen if Stumblefoot has some personal insite into Hemlock Acres (AND if Lep hasn't already reserved someplace else last night, light he said he was gonna do).

"(Mopar is) good to have around and kick. Like an ugly puppy" - Jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

(AND if Lep hasn't already reserved someplace else last night, light he said he was gonna do).

You two are sharing a sleeping bag again? It's a good thing I don't have the campsite right next to you this time.

-- I've found 58% of the caches in the country! How are your numbers? ;-)

I checked out Greenwood Furnace State Park. Just looking at the map, wouldn't it be faster and/or easier to get to the event site via Route 322 by camping in Reed's Gap State Park? Reed's Gap has a nice multicache. And I know I can find the place, having been there for a previous event.

Yeesh, it's Wednesday, the event is Saturday, I'm not registered, I don't have a digital camera, and I don't know where I'm camping because I keep debating with myself about it.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

I checked out the two above mentioned campgrounds. The Greenwood Forest one looks good. I need a place with electricity since I am bringing my trailor. I have no experience with Hemlock Acres, I found it by searching the web. It would be cool to be at the same campgound as other geocachers, so let me know which one you choose.

Stumblefoot

It is late Thurs. night and I am leaving early tomorrow morning (before I check this site again). Since no one has made a decision, I will go to Hemlock Acres. It is $5 a night cheaper than the state campground. The address is 128 Hemlock Dr. Coburn PA, 16832. I have a Trail-Lite Travel trailor and a silver 4 runner if anyone is looking.

Stumblefoot

I solved the campsite choice problem by deciding not to attend the event. After finally reading the materials for the first time on Wednesday, I realized I am woefully unprepared for the scavenger hunt. I should have started planning a week or two ago but I kept putting it off! Good luck and good fun to all who attend.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Well, this is a sucky turn of events! icon_frown.gif

Really not sure I like the idea of driving 200 miles,trying to find a campsite at 10pm, and camping alone all weekend

Mopar,

There's room on the floor here with us. Seriously! We're at SpringHill Suites . . . #310.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

DO NOT MISS THIS EVENT NEXT YEAR!

Hmmm...if more teams come next time, it will be even more crowded than the times 3 or 4 teams were all in the same place looking for the same cache!

This was the best and I want to publicly (in addition to the web page) thank all you guys (Enfanta and the 3 other judges and TMC) for all the time and thought you put into this event. This was soooo much fun and I got to meet even more people.

Are you really going to do this again?

Ok Enfanta, you can breathe now icon_eek.gif, its all over, and it was a fantastic success! icon_wink.gif I had a great time, and I had an even better time meeting and hearing all the cool stories from other geocachers! The weather was perfect, couldn't have asked for a better day! icon_cool.gif

icon_smile.gifWay to go Enfanta! icon_smile.gif

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

quote:
... I had an even better time meeting and hearing all the cool stories from other geocachers!

You got to hear stories!? I didn't hear any stories!!

TELL ME STORIES!!!!