OPPOSITE THE POINT OF INTERSECTION OF A CURVE

Gungadoy

I saw the previous thread about a curve; how about this one. Benchmark AF6060.

A rare USCGS Magnetic Station not yet recovered. I think I know where the point of intersection of the curve is, well maybe. There's a bridge 1157 east of GZ under the main road and another bridge 681 feet SE along Griffin Road; but I cannot find a bridge with 150' of GZ. City Hall is at N27 32.883 W081 48.567.AF6060.jpg

Can anyone help with ideas?

While the datasheet from the Geocaching site shows scaled coordinates, the latest datasheet from the NGS has HH1 coordinates. The coordinates for selected marks have been updated to HH1 based on notes in the NGS records. If 27.547783, -81.800439 (Hand-Held 1) is used, the point is northwest of a small bridge, and approximately the correct distance from the road. This is also about 0.6 mile from city hall.

The mark was also reported as not found in 2003 and 2006 by Polk County and the FL Dept of Env Pro, respectively.

Thanks Wister6813. If the adjusted coords in the NGS datasheet put GZ NW of the bridge on Griffin Road, then I guess then 'opposite the point of intersection of a curve' could be where the pink line intersects the GZ (the yellow pin)?? The yellow pin (GZ) is about 150-160' from the NW corner of the bridge. Does that make sense?

AF6060%20-2_1.jpg

Edited by Gungadoy

Thanks Wister6813. If the adjusted coords in the NGS datasheet put GZ NW of the bridge on Griffin Road, then I guess then 'opposite the point of intersection of a curve' could be where the pink line intersects the GZ (the yellow pin)?? The yellow pin (GZ) is about 150-160' from the NW corner of the bridge. Does that make sense?

AF6060%20-2_1.jpg

Based on the description that is where I would start. It behind a fence of some sort of facility that I can't quite figure out (gas pipeline station?) so you will need permission, or the brass ones to leap over the fence and give it a whirl.

Google Streets shows a small sign right about where the mark would be expected. Since, as Wister6813 said, it wasn't found twice fairly recently, it would a bit much to hope that there was a witness post right at the mark.

If that is the case, chances of finding it are low. Sewer work disturbes a lot of ground and the chances are slim to none anything close would have survived. I observed when they installed sewer lift station near me and for 100's of feet around the site the ground was are torn up.

Edited by Z15