Disappearing formatting?

We have tried this morning to submit a new waymark about the 1810 Florida rebellion into the first of its kind category. When we enter text into the waymark long description, we include paragraph spacing and formatting. When we look at our waymark on the preview and submit page, what we had formatted very carefully for clarity and readability has been converted into an unreadable block of text with no paragraph breaks.

When we go back to the edit page, the formatting is there, just as we entered it.

Is anyone else getting this error this morning?

On our second attempt at editing the WM, we also got two consecutive 500 errors.

Any one have any insight?

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

We have tried this morning to submit a new waymark about the 1810 Florida rebellion into the first of its kind category. When we enter text into the waymark long description, we include paragraph spacing and formatting. When we look at our waymark on the preview and submit page, what we had formatted very carefully for clarity and readability has been converted into an unreadable block of text with no paragraph breaks.

When we go back to the edit page, the formatting is there, just as we entered it.

On our second attempt at editing the WM, we also got two consecutive 500 errors.

Sounds like the same issue we experienced with some recent geocache listings, but no 500 errors. :unsure:

Sounds like the same issue we experienced with some recent geocache listings, but no 500 errors. :unsure:

uh oh :(

It looks like this issue may be confined to this category. I just posted 3 barn quilt waymarks with no formatting issues, but when I tried to resubmit into the First of its kind category, I got the 500 errors, and the block o'text format.

uh oh :(

It looks like this issue may be confined to this category. I just posted 3 barn quilt waymarks with no formatting issues, but when I tried to resubmit into the First of its kind category, I got the 500 errors, and the block o'text format.

I got the block of text format and the link to my source will not add on my last two geocaches. I'm not sure if this is even related or a mistake on my part.

If you are not using HTML, make sure that you have unchecked the HTML box before the Description.

Edit: Either that or use HTML!

I don't see this HTML box?

I have never had this issue come up while submitting waymarks or caches.

That was the problem with my cache listings. I had never seem that box before, it must have got added with the new cache submission page a few months ago.

Here's our approved waymark -- one ugly puppy :(

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMNEBE_FIRST_Lone_Star_Republic_in_the_US_Slidell_LA

We sent a PM to the category owners saying we will try and resubmit another day or two, hoping that whatever this bug is, it will get fixed.

The check box for html formatting was not checked for the description. There was no html saved in the waymark. I was able to save some formatting in the waymark but I know it is not how you like them. You should be able to modify the html now and resave it.

Edited by Waywizard

That was the problem with my cache listings. I had never seem that box before, it must have got added with the new cache submission page a few months ago.

I don't think that box is new. I'm pretty sure it's been there as long as I've been actively Waymarking, which is a little over a year and a half. Based on the amount of development time spent on Waymarking.com (or more specifically, lack of), I would expect that it's been there for years.

Here's our approved waymark -- one ugly puppy :(

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMNEBE_FIRST_Lone_Star_Republic_in_the_US_Slidell_LA

We sent a PM to the category owners saying we will try and resubmit another day or two, hoping that whatever this bug is, it will get fixed.

The check box for html formatting was not checked for the description. There was no html saved in the waymark. I was able to save some formatting in the waymark but I know it is not how you like them. You should be able to modify the html now and resave it.

Thank you WayWizard :) I will go now and fix it.

I still don't know what box this is, or where or how it got unchecked :)

UPDATE: I cant get it to format :(

Can you clarify what you mean by "formatting"? Are you using HTML to change font styling (ie. size, colour, bold, italic, etc.), or is it simply text line breaks you're trying to get? I assumed the former, but fi67 seems to be assuming the latter.

If you're trying to use HTML tags to format your text and it isn't working, try checking for stray or missing tags. An unclosed tag somewhere could invalidate all the other tags following it. To make doubly-sure, you could even copy your description into a validator like this one to check for errors.

This is happening again to me this morning on this waymark: http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMPEJ1_Importation_Temporal_Permission_Nuevo_Progreso_MX

I can see my formatting and line breaks on the edit and enter pages, but the final is a block of text. <sigh>

HTML box was NOT checked, and I checked it, tried to edit, and same result: unbroken block of text.

Next I will go back and re-uncheck the box, but I suspect I will need some help.

It's directly above the right side of the "Detailed Description" field. It says "HTML Enabled?". It defaults to off, meaning HTML tags wouldn't be processed and the description would be rendered as plain text.

Here's some news - I always use lots of HTML and have never checked the box. It always worked without my checking it, so I figgered "Why Bother"? I already have enough things to (try to) remember when submitting, like quotes on this one, date first on that one, date last on the other one and town name only on this other one. Some days I can (almost) remember all the requirements, but some days I have to check my wallet to be certain of my first name. Yet, strangely, I can remember the exact location of an obscure little waymark we did three years ago. I guess that means I consider that much more important than actually remembering who I am. After all, everywhere I go - there I am.

Maybe we should start a Waymarking category for folks who can't remember who they are.

The main officers will be: Uh, let's see, what's that?, and who me??

That could never work - those eligible would forget the very next day that it had ever exis...

What were we talking about?