Supercachers - how far away?

Team DEMP

For all you supercachers with 100's and 1000's (and almost 2000!) finds, how far away do you have to go to find a cache now?

Being in the Northeast, we have a lot around us (especially with folks like Brian and others hiding so many). I'm just wondering what your pages look like when you go to your My Cache Page and click on the Filter Finds link.

I still have a page full of caches to find within 10 miles (and a couple of archived ones which I wish didn't show in this view).

Just curious icon_smile.gif

On the remote possibility that "almost 2000" might refer to me... icon_smile.gif

Actually, I have a number of unfound caches within 10 miles. I don't aim for 100% coverage in my home turf. Instead I cherry-pick nearby caches for before and after-work caching. Weekends will be devoted to groups of caches 60-150 miles from home.

My first page of unfound caches includes caches in seven counties in Western Pennsylvania and Eastern Ohio. Picking off the stray unfound caches is getting more difficult! I'll be doing some traveling in the next few weeks to areas with a higher density of unfound caches.

I like the new page that shows your nearest unfound caches only. Each time you find one, there's another cache to take its place and you watch the distance get bigger. I'm somewhere around 40 miles out at the bottom of my first page.

DavidL, those aren't archived caches that you're seeing on the search results page, but rather caches that are temporarily disabled. If you see one that's been that way for months and months, with no attention from the owner, write to your Admin or post a "cache should be archived" note on the cache page.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

There are new ones in the area popping up all the time, so the Stayfloopys, Bassoonpilots and Skully & Mulders rarely have to range very far, unless they plan to bag a bunch.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

There are new ones in the area popping up all the time, so the Stayfloopys, Bassoonpilots and Skully & Mulders rarely have to range very far, unless they plan to bag a bunch.

That's true. Right now, there are 3 or 4 caches within 20 miles of home; in different directions, of course!

If I wanted to pick up two or three caches within a few miles of each other, I would have to drive at least 30 miles from home. If I wanted two caches on one decent length hike, we're talking a minimum of 45-50 miles.

I've done 75% or more of my finds with my daughters (ages 8 & 9 1/2). I typically like to find clusters of easier ones we can hit up in a 4 hour time frame. Like you all, I'm having to drive farther and farther away each time to find. They have fun hitting up those with difficulty ratings 1's and 2's and even virtuals.

I save the tougher ones for me to knock off alone, or with my older daughter (she whines less icon_wink.gif).

Going on vacation also offers us a chance to hit up close by clusters of easier ones.

I don't have hundreds or thousands of finds, but i'm gettin there, icon_wink.gif, I regularly cache in DE, MD, SE PA, and state college PA. I like the three areas, cause the terrain is different at each one, and with almost 2000 caches within 100 miles of me, i'm far from having nothing to find! icon_smile.gif

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

I don't find a lot of caches on purpose, so I always have one nearby to look for. My nearest unfound is 8.5 miles away.

I'm not going to search for it, because I always want to have a cache close by that I can search for and if I find this one, it won't be there to search for anymore!

Get it?

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

Supercachers? I can't help thinking of someone in blue tights and a red cape.

My nearest is under a mile (but it's pretty new). I'd pretty much cleared out a 20 mile radius at one point - then took a break and let the circle fill in again!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

quote:
Originally posted by DavidL:

For all you supercachers with 100's and 1000's (and almost 2000!) finds, how far away do you have to go to find a cache now?

Being in the Northeast, we have a lot around us (especially with folks like Brian and others hiding so many). I'm just wondering what your pages look like when you go to your http://www.geocaching.com/my/ and click on the Filter Finds link.

I still have a page full of caches to find within 10 miles (and a couple of archived ones which I wish didn't show in this view).

Just curious icon_smile.gif

Ok, I'm an oddball. I think if I actually get caught up on all my logs I am over the 300 find mark, but if you look at my nearest caches, there are dozens within 10 miles I havent found. However, I HAVE cleaned up pretty good around the Philly area (75 miles away from home) and if I center on Cherry Hill there are not many I haven't found within 25-30 miles.

"(Mopar is) good to have around and kick. Like an ugly puppy" - Jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Ok, I'm an oddball.

Yes, very true, but let's get back to the topic at hand.

quote:
I think if I actually get caught up on all my logs I am over the 300 find mark
Did ya ever catch up on all those "stupid placeholder logs"?

-- I've found 58% of the caches in the country! How are your numbers? ;-)

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Ok, I'm an oddball.

Yes, very true, but let's get back to the topic at hand.

quote:
I think if I actually get caught up on all my logs I am over the 300 find mark
Did ya ever catch up on all those "stupid placeholder logs"?

-- _I've found 58% of the caches in the country! How are your numbers? ;-) _

MissJenn, I agree! And no he hasn't, my Ricketts Glenn cache still has one of his place holder logs. But at least it has a log, I think he has many that don't even have those.

Hey Mopar, how is the job going? Do you have any time between coffee breaks (and internet access) for you to fill in some of the logs?

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

I live in Suffolk County, Long Island. I'm just shy of 100 caches and I'm already running out of caches within a 40 minute drive. Becuase I'm all the way out here, when I do a search it starts pulling up caches in Conn. In miles there relatively close, but the search engine doesn't know I have to take a ferry to get to them.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

quote:
Originally posted by HartClimbs:

Supercachers? I can't help thinking of someone in blue tights and a red cape.

#14865 for SuperCacher. As usual, there wasn't a convenient phone booth at the trailhead to change to SuperCacher. Flew directly to cache. It was well-hidden but easy to locate with X-ray vision. Tore cape on ^$^&%%# wild rose branches. TNLN because there are no pockets on this costume. Had to leave quickly before Kryptonite McToys left by the dastardly Lex Luthor took effect. Thanks for a quick lunchtime 4/4 cache. icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif SuperCacher icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

I have a total of 265 finds. Not all of them are within my "circle". I did some caches last year while visiting my cousin which is 100 miles away. Still, the local caches are starting to really get scattered around. I usually have to "plan" a day of caching. I try to pick an area that has 6-10 that I haven't done. It usually takes me between an hour and an hour and half to get to those locations.

One day I had planned a whole day to catch up on various caches that I wanted to do. I started at 5am in the morning and didn't get home till 8pm that night! I put somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 miles on the car. I finished the day with 14 or 15 finds that where scattered all over the place. I loved the caching, but hated the driving between locations.

I DO have some caches within 30 miles of me, but some are long hikes, some need a boat, and others are scattered around. I am trying to save the long hikes for the fall weather. Less ticks and cooler weather.

Just to add,...I don't do this for the numbers, I do it because it's fun and is a great excuse to get out into woods. The numbers are just an added benefit that is fun to look at from time to time.

Gary

Guess we have a very different way of looking at caches we want to find. When we first started any cache would do. Now the cache or caches must be a challenge, usually that means 3 hours plus hiking. It may include more than one cache if there is no driving between caches.

We consider ourselves hikers first, nature observers/photographers second, and cachers third. We will go after a cache only if it gives us our first two objectives. There are 24 caches less than 10 miles from home, we have found only five of them, and do not plan to look for the remaining ones, they all look like “cache and dash.”

Now to answer how far we would go:

1. Last October we drove from Pennsylvania to Nova Scotia. Then did a one night backpack (six hours hiking each way) to pick up one tough cache. While driving home we picked up eight to ten additional caches.

2. This week we drove six hours north, backpacked for two nights, picked up two caches, and drove six hours back home.

These are two of our best caching experiences. WE WOULD DO IT AGAIN.

quote:
Originally posted by StayFloopy:

2 hours of driving will get you into NJ and 800+ caches. icon_wink.gif

Let me tackle Nassau County first. Then I'll visit you in NJ Floppy. icon_smile.gif

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

I've pretty much cleaned up the greater Seattle area, but thankfully we have a lot of active cachers and there are some new ones out for me to get. Getting close to 1000....at 993 now. Last two trips were out of town...Bremerton and over to Eastern Washington/Ellensburg area. I have to drive at least 30 miles south or across the sound to get a lot of caches in a day now. Or 40 miles north. So yeah, I've got some driving to do to hit a **** load of them.

We're the opposite of WWW... we love the drive to the cache and caching itself is way ahead of the hiking (we aren't known for hiking without a cache to hunt.) Thanks to geocaching for giving us a reason to exercise!

We cleared out a 5 mile radius from my dad's house in Milwaukee (ok, part of that is made easy by Lake Michigan taking a big chunk of that circle) on a recent visit. The only cache we didn't log a find on in that area is one we left (with plenty of people helping us to watch the cache.)

We have about 100 more finds than anyone else living in West Virginia, but we're fifth or sixth place for most West Virginia caches found. Like I said, we love the drive to the caches. DC, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Louisville, Denver, and many other wonderful places we've driven to for caching. Every which way but South for some reason.

We have about the same number of finds as Leprechaun, and our distance on the first page is similar--44.1 miles at the bottom of the page. Oops. We found that one today. There are now a number of caches on that page that we hope to find soon. Also many of the closer caches have are now fairly high in the terrain rating. We'll grab them eventually--it takes a bit to talk me into climbing some of these hills around here (even though I'll hide some on hills.)

Personally, I usually won't drive much more than a half hour just to find a cache. My longest drive specifically to look for a cache, was about 45 minutes.

Most of my finds that are further away from home came because I was in the area for another reason.

Still, I'm impressed by people like Outsidevr who drove 4 hrs from MD to northern NJ, to join a few of us on a hunt for a single cache, then drove home the same day. That is dedication.

I'm no super cacher, but after a few hundred finds, I am getting a little picky. I share some of waterboys values, but I won't drive hundreds of miles. I'll go about 50 miles, and I do like to rack up some numbers if I go out of my way, but I could care less about urban or suburban caches. Yeah, I will grab a few if I find myself near them, but they should show me something with a touch of the wild or scenic. I will pick areas I like and go for anything that pops up in my turf. There seems to be less and less for those of us looking for a good hike, and my favorite areas have pretty much become saturated ( some with my own caches). I have enjoyed exploring Northern New Jersey and caching helped me learn my way around that area better, but I'm at a bit of a loss to figure out where I can go now for a little inspiration, without making my wife a geocaching widow.

i did a pretty good job of wiping up the area back when i was more active, but as i started to have to drive further and further to get caches, it started to have less appeal. I like being outside, not driving. Unfortuantely i have no real options where i live. So whenever i'd be on some trip for something i'd find a few caches in that area. Now there's a number of new ones near home so i've been picking them up as well. I definitly like Waterboy's ideology, but don't have the stamina for that. Great question though.

King Pellinore