Jayme H

See forum posts I have used this but if it could be on the forum search for posts by cacher we wouldn't need it here.
Okay, I knew this function had to be here in the forums somewhere, but I had no idea where to find it. If it were more discoverable here in the forums, then it would be needed less on the profile page.

So, without further ado...

da194197-8e4b-49b6-a6c7-7b5584dc82d0.png

First, find a post made by the user. Then click on the little icon to the right of the user's name; a pop-up window will appear. Then click on the "Find My Content" icon near the bottom of the pop-up window.

Et voilà!

Learned something new today. Thanks for that!

- But I still think it easier to access it on the profile (and would like to see it kept).

I may not be able to find a post from one who posted years ago (but remember who they are).

I can go on their profile and access their earlier discussion on a subject that may be relevent (or not :) ) now.

I'll post a more detailed reply when I'm at my computer, but I would really like to see the souvenirs and statistics tabs modified so each has 3 options.

1. Do not display anything here

2. Display the standard Groundspeak data

3. Display my customised data.

If option 3 was selected a box would open for the user to enter their customised data, similar to the current Bio Box.

For all three of these boxes (Bio Box, souvenirs box & stats box) there should be an approved and documented way to update them automatically either via an API call or via an approved executable program.

+ 1

Edited by kiReGPS

Hey there!

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to contribute to this

1. What do you use the bio box for?

Mainly for displaying statistics from a GSAK macro. I also have my GSA achievement, a Flag counter and the image which used to be my Profile image before you took this away.

2. Do you display banners from caches or events on your profile? How important is it to you that you are able to display these on your profile?

No. This is not important to me.

3. What do you most enjoy looking at on others' profiles?

I used to enjoy looking at their Profile Pictures, but they are gone now. I think find count and date last visited are useful to see whether someone is still active. Basically, I like seeing what other people find important enough to add

4. Below you will find all the functionality that the page currently offers.

Place the items in a stack ranked list of priority. Things that are most important to you should be at the top.

Let us know if there is anything missing from the list.

What information isn’t necessary on the page? What is taking up screen space that shouldn’t be? What do you not find useful?

Profile:

Avatar image Useless. Please replace with a proper profile picture

Find count Useful. Hide count and DNF logs written should also be there.

Trackables logged count Not useful here - move to Trackables tab.

Send message to e-mail Very useful. However ALL members should have validated e-mail addresses as part of the sign up process

'Member since:' Useful

Status of account (Premium, Lackey, etc…) Useful

~ Link to give gift membership Useless

Location Useful

Last visit to website Last activity date would be better since some folk never visit the website

Send a friend request (only shows when viewing someone else’s profile, not your own) Useful

See forum posts Useless

Geocaches: Fine as it is

Finds by cache type breakdown

Link to all geocache finds

Hides by cache type breakdown

Link to all geocache hides

Trackables: fine as it is

List of Trackable types discovered or moved by kind

~ Icons link to search list filtered to those Trackables

List of trackable types owned

Souvenirs:

Please allow options i) to suppress this display, ii) to show the standard Groundspeak display or iii) to show a personalised display. I have customised my souvenir display very heavily and include the display as part of my GSAK stats. It seems unnecessary to have the same information displayed twice. I would prefer to move my customised display here.

List of souvenirs earned

~ Icons link to specific souvenir page

Date souvenir was acquired

Gallery: Fine as it is - not really useful to me

Image gallery starting with most recent

Multiple pages

If image is attached to geocache log, GC code is listed

Clicking image opens bigger view that links to log page/edit

Lists:

List of all caches that user has awarded a favorite point Make this optional - I have the same information in my GSAK stats

List of all public bookmark lists [ Very useful

Statistics:

Please allow options i) to suppress this display, ii) to show the standard Groundspeak display or iii) to show a personalised display. I have customised my statistics very heavily using GSAK. It seems unnecessary to have the same information displayed twice. I would prefer to move my customised display here, leaving the bio box for biographical information, the souvenir page for souvenirs and this page for GSAK statistics.

Statistics that have been made public on geocaching.com/my/statistics.aspx

Thanks again for the opportunity to contribute

Hey there!

The Product Development Team is considering options for updating the profile page and we would like your help. We know that this is a well visited page and that's why we want to hear feedback from you about how you use it, what's missing from it, and what isn't necessary. Although we will most likely be updating the look and feel of the page, we would like to retain the functionality and make it easy for you to view the content that is most important to you.

Some info on how I sign caches, a BadgeGen achievement bar, and a load of profile souvenirs, event banners, completed challenges, etc.

2. Do you display banners from caches or events on your profile? How important is it to you that you are able to display these on your profile?

Yes. They are very important to me. I'd rather see achievements and souvenirs that remind me of fun activities, rather than another huge block of stats. There's an entire other section of the profile for stats (which I love). We don't need two sections for stats. I love being able to see that out of the 5000 caches and events on this person's profile, these are the 5 or 6 that they think are the most "special".

Where they've been, what trackables and geocoins they've seen and collected, what great caches and events they've been to.

• Place the items in a stack ranked list of priority. Things that are most important to you should be at the top.
  • Let us know if there is anything missing from the list.
  • What information isn’t necessary on the page? What is taking up screen space that shouldn’t be? What do you not find useful?

Sorted into my order of importance:

Profile:

• Find count I wish it also showed Hide count
  • Send message to e-mail
  • Send a friend request (only shows when viewing someone else’s profile, not your own)
  • Trackables logged count
  • See forum posts
  • 'Member since:'
  • Status of account (Premium, Lackey, etc…)
    ~ Link to give gift membership

Geocaches: I'm happy with this part of the profile as it is.

• Finds by cache type breakdown
  • Link to all geocache finds
  • Hides by cache type breakdown
  • Link to all geocache hides

Trackables: I think "owned" should be given more emphasis than "discovered"

• List of trackable types owned
  • List of Trackable types discovered or moved by kind

Souvenirs: Possibly one of the most important parts of the profile to me. I really believe that by this point all countries in the world should have a souvenir. There aren't that many.

• List of souvenirs earned
  • Date souvenir was acquired Due to problems on your server, there have been a few times when the souvenir was earned, and then awarded a couple of days later, so the date on the souvenir is wrong. This REALLY bugs me. Every time I see them they make my brain itch. I think there should be an easy way to adjust them or manually change the date.

Gallery: I love the gallery, love taking photos while caching, and love seeing other people's photos.

• Image gallery starting with most recent
  • Multiple pages
  • If image is attached to geocache log, GC code is listed
  • Clicking image opens bigger view that links to log page/edit

Lists:

• List of all caches that user has awarded a favorite point I would love the ability to sort Favorites into "sub-lists", so that we can choose to sort them by location/country, area, type of cache, etc (of our choice). It would make it much easier when recommending caches to people.
  • List of all public bookmark lists

Statistics: I love the stats. I wish there were more of them, so that we didn't have to look at third party stat generator pages.

• Statistics that have been made public on geocaching.com/my/statistics.aspx
  • I wish there was a second Bio window at the bottom of the stat page, so that if people want to add in third party stats, they could do it here rather than on the profile front page.

This thread will remain open for 2 weeks and close on March 12th. Please read the User Insights Forum Guidelines before posting, since these threads are moderated a bit differently than other forums.

Thanks for taking part in this conversation! :)

Thank you for giving us the chance to express our opinions. :)

Pan

Hello,

first of all thanks for this opportunity. Here are my observations/remarks:

Especially for external statistics (project-gc) and for GeoTropy&GeoPuzzle.

No, but never say never :)

To be honest statistics and found caches only. However internal statistic are not so "attractive" in comparison with external ones (project-gc, geoget, gsak etc.), it means that the possibility to save the html link in BIO column is important for me.

Place the items in a stack ranked list of priority. Things that are most important to you should be at the top.

What information isn’t necessary on the page? What is taking up screen space that shouldn’t be? What do you not find useful?

Profile: Fine as it is.

Find count

Trackables logged count

Send message to e-mail

'Member since:'

Status of account (Premium, Lackey, etc…)

Last visit to website

Send a friend request (only shows when viewing someone else’s profile, not your own)

See forum posts

Geocaches: Some comments - it would be really fine to add some new attributes, e.x. for PWT.

Trackables: Fine as it is

Souvenirs: Some comments - still some souvenirs missing, especially for European countries.

List of souvenirs earned

Gallery: Fine as it is

Multiple pages

Lists: Fine as it is

List of all caches that user has awarded a favorite point

List of all public bookmark lists

Statistics: I have already mentioned that internal statistics are not so attractive in comparison with external one. There are two possible ways - create totally new statistics and/or users should have a possibility to add external ones in BIO column.

A short introduction about me and a profile foto.

Only for banners of the most important things: summary banner, waymarks banner and two banners for the most difficult mystery caches I've solved.

How long is a member, gallery, hidden caches, statistics.

Profile:

Send message to e-mail

Find count

Trackables logged count

'Member since:'

Last visit to website

Send a friend request (only shows when viewing someone else’s profile, not your own)

See forum posts

Geocaches:

Trackables: (No changes)

Souvenirs: (Na changes)

List of souvenirs earned

Gallery:

Multiple pages

Lists:

List of all caches that user has awarded a favorite point - it'd be better to add it a system bookmark list, not as it is - the list and then bookmarklists

Statistics: (No changes)

PROFILE:

1. send message to e-mail => all member accounts verified!!!

2. last visit do website

3. member since

4. avatar image (at least twice the size, or even better - back with the picture)

5. find count

6. status of account

(I do not care for the rest...)

GEOCACHES:

No changes, please.

TRACKABLES:

I do not use it...

SOUVENIRS

I only care about "countries" - please, complete the series ;) The outlook of this box is fine.

GALLERY

1. image gallery starting with most recent

2. all image in the same "size" - after clicking, the complete image appears

3. clicking image opens bigger view that links to log page + CACHE PAGE

LISTS

1. list of all public bookmark lists

+ summarize the caches awarded with FP under a special "bookmark" - or at least put the bookmarks to the top of the page, or show just last few caches and a link underneath (then they would be shown similarly to the "geocaches" box).

STATISTICS:

in my opinion, this box is useless (most people who want to boast themselves use other statistics in their "profile" box - and I have other tools to find out what I want...

=> SUGGESTIONS

members must have verified e-mails, avatar images double-sized or whole picture, same size of images in the gallery (+ link to cache page after clicking on them), not showing all caches with FP in the "lists box"

Edited by Joe Tramp

I use it solely as a repository for my GSAK FindStatGen custom stats. My stats include a brief intro about myself and some useful links, followed by the remainder of my stats.

No. I've seen this on other members' profile pages, but it isn't something that's done in my region. If a feature was created to more easily display these banners (I'm not sure if this is what's being explored), I could see the practice being adopted in my region, but otherwise this is a non-factor for me.

There are only a few places I usually go on others' profiles:

1. The "Last Visit" date to determine the activity level of cache owners. It would be extremely helpful if this field could take API access into account (as it really should have all along, IMO. I'm amazed this was overlooked in the design of the API).

2. The list of finds (used in combination with the Last Visit date to determine activity level)

3. The list of hides - Many possible reasons

One thing I'd like to see changed is the tolerance of the profile page to the browser "back" function. For example, it used to be that if I was looking at a member's finds, I could click on one of the cache types to see their finds of that type, then click "Back" in my browser to get back to the previous view. Changes made within the last year mean I get a form error when I try to go back now. It would be nice to be able to navigate more easily within the profile page, in both directions.

My sorting and comments below are based on my viewing of other members' public profiles, since I really only view my own public profile to view my custom GSAK FindStatGen stats in the Bio field.

Profile:

• Last visit to website
  • Send message to e-mail
  • Avatar image - It would be nice to have back the larger image, rather than just the small avatar image. As a first impression, the avatar is basically useless due to its small size.

The remainder of these are irrelevant to me since I rarely, if ever, use or look at them.
  • Find count
  • Send a friend request (only shows when viewing someone else’s profile, not your own)
  • See forum posts

Geocaches:

I don't see any need to change the information that's displayed here, though an easier way to navigate within this section would be appreciated (explained above).

Trackables:

I rarely look at this section.

Souvenirs:

A few changes I'd like to see here:

1. One of the following: either a user-selectable way to sort the souvenirs, or a more logical default sorting (ie. group regional souvenirs together, dates together, etc.)

2. The date should be the date that the qualifications were met, not the date the log was submitted. It looks absurd to see a souvenir like "Leap Day 2012, acquired March 3".

Gallery:

• Image gallery starting with most recent - It would be nice to be able to jump to a different period of time using a date-picker, rather than have to step through pages to get to a certain date.
  • Multiple pages - It would be nice to have an option to display more images per page (ie. a drop-down to select the number of images per page)
  • If image is attached to geocache log, GC code is listed - This needs to be extended to images attached to trackable logs. I've never understood why these are treated differently.

Lists:

I never look at this section. Browsing members' profile pages is a fairly useless way to find bookmark lists of interest. A search feature would be much more useful.

Statistics:

I rarely look at this for other members.

Profile:

• Find count (it's fine)

Changed my mind about Find count. I think there is too much emphasis on the numbers. The find count should be a ballpark figure. Perhaps ranges:

• 0-100
  • 100-500
  • 500-1000
  • 1000 or more

Perhaps an option. Some cachers may want a specific number displayed. The default could be the ranges.

Most people want to see other people's find count so they can judge whether they are experienced enough. Their ballpark figure plus "Member since" date should suffice.

Personally I would not want to see anything taken away but rather enhanced such as the stats page.

Just for the record should you implement L0ne R's idea above I would quit geocaching.

Profile:

• Find count (it's fine)

Changed my mind about Find count. I think there is too much emphasis on the numbers. The find count should be a ballpark figure. Perhaps ranges:

• 0-100
  • 100-500
  • 500-1000
  • 1000 or more

Perhaps an option. Some cachers may want a specific number displayed. The default could be the ranges.

Most people want to see other people's find count so they can judge whether they are experienced enough. Their ballpark figure plus "Member since" date should suffice.

Personally I would not want to see anything taken away but rather enhanced such as the stats page.

Just for the record should you implement L0ne R's idea above I would quit geocaching.

Why do you feel so strongly?

Profile:

• Find count (it's fine)

• 0-100
  • 100-500
  • 500-1000
  • 1000 or more

Why do you feel so strongly?

Personally I think if you took away the find count it would be the end of geocaching or at least Groundspeak.

Like it or not geocaching is a competitive activity, take away the competiveness and you'll lose a large customer base.

Personally I think if you took away the find count it would be the end of geocaching or at least Groundspeak.
What if the find count appeared on the Geocaches and Statistics tabs, the trackable counts appeared on the Trackables tab, and some sort of range-based rank appeared on the main Profile tab? Would that be end of geocaching or at least Groundspeak?
What if the find count appeared on the Geocaches and Statistics tabs, the trackable counts appeared on the Trackables tab, and some sort of range-based rank appeared on the main Profile tab? Would that be end of geocaching or at least Groundspeak?

That's not what the suggestion was and I still am very much against using a range based find count anywhere, having it just in one spot would be pretty pointless.

That's not what the suggestion was and I still am very much against using a range based find count anywhere, having it just in one spot would be pretty pointless.
Okay, how about we drop the range-based rank, and just leave the find count on the Geocaches and Statistics tabs, but not on the main Profile tab?
Okay, how about we drop the range-based rank, and just leave the find count on the Geocaches and Statistics tabs, but not on the main Profile tab?

Why?

Why?

I have to agree with Roman! here, much as it pains me :lol:

If you don't think find counts are important, it should not bother you to display it on the first page.

By not wanting it on the first page, you're saying that others should not find it important.

Like it or not, accurate or not, meaningful or not it is the one number that most geocachers use.

I don't. I put a copy of my stats from Project-gc in there a fair while ago but never really bothered to update it since

No, I find some particuarly distracting. But I understand some other people enjoy them.

It is handy to be able to look at the caches they have found.

Profile: Following on from the DNF pride email a fair while back I would like to see my DNF count on my profile

Avatar image It's ok, but rather too small to be useful

Find count Helpful, lets you know a bit about the person and how much experience they have

Send message to e-mail Needs to be easily accessible and visible. But it's only useful if people are verified!

'Member since:' More an out of interest thing, not of too much use again, it may be better moved to the stats section?

Status of account (Premium, Lackey, etc…) Rather helpful to know another users membership status

~ Link to give gift membership Never used it - Could be handy sometime though

Location Useful, but only if it has some kind of location or town name in it

Last visit to website Handy for knowing if a user is still active, BUT it would help more if it was when they last use the website/app

Send a friend request (only shows when viewing someone else’s profile, not your own) Never really understood this feature. Not sure why I would want it.

Trackables logged count Not sure why I really need this, maybe this is something that could be moved into Stats?

See forum posts No really feeling on this, surely that is do-able through the forum anyway?

Geocaches:

Finds by cache type breakdown Can be interesting to see which event a user has attended. Lab caches isn’t overly helpful though I would like to know which events they found lab caches at.

Link to all geocache finds I use this to see when the user last found a cache

Souvenirs: Whilst I like souvenirs I don’t think they have a real purpose. However it would be handy to be able to ‘compress’ the souvenirs. I don’t really care that a user has found caches every day in August 2013. Maybe it would be better to have one for the 31 days challenge which can then be expanded to reveal all 31 icons

List of souvenirs earned

Statistics:

Statistics that have been made public on geocaching.com/my/statistics.aspx I don’t really use this. I tend to get my statistics from project-gc instead!

Gallery: Fine, not really of much use other than offering a place to see all the users photos in one place.

Multiple pages

Lists: Didn’t realise this was even an option on the profile page

List of all caches that user has awarded a favorite point Handy to know what someone else likes

Trackables: As with my earlier comment I don’t really understand why I would want to know what trackables a user has ‘discovered’

List of trackable types owned This bit can be useful though

~ Icons link to search list filtered to those TrackablesOnly just discovered this existed, they aren’t clear as links

Edited by Sir-Lancelot

Posting pictures, list of my FTFs, brag about my Challenges and achievements, statistics about my owned caches, Earthcache master and Master of Mystery Banners.

Yes, Master of Mystery and Earthcache Master banners: it is very important to me !

Email address, last visits, latest caches found (could even be a direct link)

1- Profile: please do not remove anything from this tab, add number of PLACED caches and number of DNFs logged. A link to the latest caches logged by user (Same as "All geocaches finds" from the Geocaches tab) would be useful also.

2- Geocaches: please do not remove anything from this tab

3- Statistics: please do not remove anything from this tab

Addition of stats on owned caches would be nice

4- Lists: Add a direct link on top of the lists to reach Bookmarks.

5- Trackables: a link to the latest trackables logged by the user would be useful

currently the trackables' icons on this page link to a list of corresponding trackables logged by the user. It would be nice to have a link to the actual logs from this user

6- Gallery: larger thumbnails perhaps ?

7- Souvenirs: couldn't care less about these

I use this to include my local club affiliations and board positions. And like many others, I include beefed up stats from GSAK here.

Don’t use these. I like the ones I see from others profile pages; but who has time to create all of those banners?!

Seeing their caching history and when they started caching, home location, caches they own. Sometimes I use their picture to see if I’ve met them; check which events they’ve attended.

• Place the items in a stack ranked list of priority. Things that are most important to you should be at the top.

• What information isn’t necessary on the page? What is taking up screen space that shouldn’t be? What do you not find useful?

Profile: Reordered by importance as requested:

• Find count – A must; should also include hides

• Location – A must; nice to see when folks are local or not

• 'Member since:' – A must; I use this to determine if folks are new or experienced; might send new folks information on our local club; or when/why to post a NM or NA log, etc.

• Last visit to website – A must; needed to show if cacher is active or not

• Avatar image – Whatever. A regular profile pic would be just fine.

• Trackables logged count – Should separate moved and discovered; they’re different

• Send message to e-mail – Fine as is

• Status of account (Premium, Lackey, etc…) - Fine

• Send a friend request (only shows when viewing someone else’s profile, not your own) – Would be better if “friends” was something useful in other locations on the site. I only use it because a 3rd party app allows me to see friends’ log separately from all other logs; great help when trying to find a PAF for help.

• See forum posts – Never use it. Forums are too difficult to find useful information.

Geocaches: - This section is good as is.

Trackables: - Good. But I would prefer to have moved and discovered be separate numbers.

Souvenirs: - This section is okay. I like the added date. Might be nice to have them in some type of grouping, other than alphabetical order. But the souvenirs themselves are also confusing. I’m never sure when I’m supposed to get one. This is mainly an issue with souvenirs for countries and states. I get a souvenir for some countries, but not others. And I get them for states in some countries, but not others. This should be made consistent. There should be a souvenir for each country, at the minimum. From there, I’m not very interested in states, except when they’re in the US. But I’m sure that’s how others feel outside the US. So you’d have to include states/provinces/counties for every country. It would be ideal if it could be smart enough to include states for my “home location”, but only countries for all others.

• Date souvenir was acquired

Gallery: - This is okay. I would prefer if the thumbnails of the images were bigger; there’s too much white space between the images on each page.

• Multiple pages

Lists: - I’ve actually never used this page before. I assumed it was only someone’s bookmark lists. But I like the idea of seeing other people’s list of favorites, too. Both should be organized in some way; active cachers have just really long lists without any ability to find specific things in them. Be nice if I could pull each list into a .gpx file; that would allow me to search/filter/find caches in GSAK easily.

• List of all caches that user has awarded a favorite point

Statistics: This is the most important section of the profile. First off, they should work all the time. Right now, (2/28/15, 1:30pm PST), the “Finds per Month” and “Cumulative Finds per Month” are not being displayed. The maps aren’t displaying either. Not really acceptable.

In addition, some others I would like to see:

• Number of caches found by container type/size

• Percentage of finds by difficulty, terrain, and container type/size

• And most importantly, some new stats surrounding the number and quality of cache hides

o Number of cache hides, along with total number of found logs and DNF, NM, OM, NA logs

o Number of cache hides with numbers of favorites and percentage of finds vs favorites

o Cache hides and length of time active (average time, shortest, and longest)

o Number (percentage?) of cache hides active, disabled, and archived

o Caching “karma” – some sort of numerical assessment of a cache hider’s quality and longevity of caches. Number should be related to their number of finds as well. Something like this is needed for several reasons:

 Encourage cache hiders to place good, long-living caches.

 Give cache hiders a reason to perform cache maintenance instead of just archiving caches.

 In fact, a value like this should be used to disallow cachers to hide new caches if they don’t meet some “karma” requirement. We’re getting way too many crap caches out there being placed by people who just want to flood an area with as many caches as they can. They don’t purchase good containers, log books, etc. They can’t possibly maintain the number of caches they have out there. There needs to be a system in place to limit the number of cache hides by one cacher and prevent cachers from hiding caches without enough experience at finding them to know what’s good and what sucks. (I know, that’s another topic; just thought I’d toss it in while someone was listening.)

Thanks for asking for input.

• 0-100
  • 100-500
  • 500-1000
  • 1000 or more

Great Idea! Geocaching is not about the numbers and ranges would help to make them less "important"

I am not interested in statistics of others at all.

An opportunity to make photos private, that cannot be seen by others. I'd like to add photos that can only seen by me (and maybe by the specific cache owner) i.e. Pictures that would spoil the cache for others ... but nice for me to remember good hides ...

Edited by korotiotio

I use it for some information about me and for my detailed statistics.

2. Do you display banners from caches or events on your profile? How important is it to you that you are able to display these on your profile?[/b]

No. Only some in statistics.

Informations about cachers, statistics, important informations about them or for solutions of mystery cache.

Profile:

• Avatar image - Old system was better.
  • Find count - It's OK
  • Trackables logged count- It's OK
  • Send message to e-mail - It's very important! But It's very bad, that I can't send e-mail to some cachers, who isn't verified (they gathered TB or cache and so on, have found-it log, but we can't contact them).
  • 'Member since:' - it's interesting.
  • Status of account (Premium, Lackey, etc…)- it's interesting.
    ~ Link to give gift membership - I'didn't use this.
  • Location - it's interesting.
  • Last visit to website - it's important for maintenance of caches and so on. But I saw, that somebody has found it logs with newer date then last visits and its strange. This information may be about last activity in Geocaching.
  • Send a friend request (only shows when viewing someone else’s profile, not your own) - It's not important for me.
  • See forum posts - It's important main in my profile.

Geocaches:

- I Use main hides by cache type breakdown. Sometime I use finds by cache type breakdown. I think, that its good thing.

Trackables:

Sometime i'm finding TB/GC, when I need log it.

Souvenirs:

For me it isn't important.

Gallery:

• Multiple pages

I often use this function. But I'm missing, from which cache photo is on gallery whithout long way across clicking by image - click on log page and than to cache.

Lists:

It's helpful

Statistics:

Statistics I visit quite often.

t important to you.

I have added an html list of all the cachers I've met out in the field.

No, therefore it's not important to me

Nothing really, I only look at other people's profiles if there's some piece of information I'm looking for, I almost never look at their banners, badges, or trophies.

Profile:

•  
  • Send message to e-mail
  • See forum posts
  • Avatar image (though this is pretty useless, the old profile image was more useful)
  • Find count

Geocaches:

Trackables:

Souvenirs:

Gallery:

• Multiple pages

Lists:

Statistics:

1. What do you use the bio box for? - Right now, not much. I may update with select personal information. I would keep this, and allow for images and HTML.

2. Do you display banners from caches or events on your profile? How important is it to you that you are able to display these on your profile? - For me, not very important. I can see how some may use (and abuse) this, and I think it should be allowed.

3. What do you most enjoy looking at on others' profiles? - Mostly, I'm looking to see how active they are. But, depending on why I am looking, I may end up looking at everything on their profile.

Profile:

Avatar image - Yes, I recognize a lot of them, they are a great way to quickly look for someone.

Find count - Yes, but I wouldn't care if it is exact, or a range.

Trackables logged count - Yes

Send message to e-mail - Yes, I have used this a little. Of course, verified e-mail would be nice. Or, allow the user to enter the best way to contact them (assuming they want to be contacted).

'Member since:' - Yes, it gives me a feel for how experienced they are.

Status of account (Premium, Lackey, etc…) - Nice, but not critical to me.

~ Link to give gift membership - No

Location - Yes, and leave it a freeform field.

Last visit to website - NO, HOWEVER, we do need last activity data. Maybe a single field, or several. Date of last log, date of last access, date of last forum post, date of last maintenance update. This needs to be regardless of how they accessed the database. Geocaching.com is a listing service, we need to know when the user last updated the database.

Send a friend request (only shows when viewing someone else’s profile, not your own) - This is OK, but I don't have much need for it.

See forum posts - I've used this a few time. If you also included the last forum posting date, I think it may get used more often.

Geocaches: - These are all good and wonderful. If you can't add last activity data above, adding a column for last activity date on the lists would be second best.

Trackables: - I would like to see trackables owned broken into two lists. The first for those that have been released into the wild, and those that are in my collection. I use my collection list more as a personal achievements page.

Souvenirs: - I use trackables as my souvenirs, I really don't care one way or the other for the geocaching.com souvenirs. They seem to be scattered. Specific dates, some countries, states, types of caches, there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to these. Maybe if they were further divided into sections (Countries, Special Dates, States, Cache Types, etc., that might help. (And allow each section to be displayed or not.)

List of souvenirs earned

Gallery: - I don't take many pictures, so my gallery is small. I do like niraD's idea that a single picture can be linked to multiple logs. And a favorites section would be nice.

Multiple pages

Lists: - No suggestions for changes on this.

List of all caches that user has awarded a favorite point

Statistics: - Allow anyone to post their own custom statistics on this page. Maybe even go so far as to allow 'tabs', so that someone could have the 'default', the 'GSAK', and any other custom statistics tabs.

Hey there!

The Product Development Team is considering options for updating the profile page and we would like your help. We know that this is a well visited page and that's why we want to hear feedback from you about how you use it, what's missing from it, and what isn't necessary. Although we will most likely be updating the look and feel of the page, we would like to retain the functionality and make it easy for you to view the content that is most important to you.

I have a one sentence blurb about myself, and the rest I paste in from the output generated by the BadgeGen and FindStatGen Macros in GSAK. The stats provided there are more interesting to me than the limited amount provided by geocaching.com

I haven't been to any events that have offered a banner. The same is true for geocaches, although I am aware there are some in my region that offer this. I think this option should be available.

I rarely look at much of others' profiles. Those who paste in their stats generated elsewhere (as I do) rarely keep them as up-to-date as I do. It would be nice if the geocaching.com stats were more robust.

Profile:

• Send message to e-mail - most important thing - needed to contact cache owners about immediate problems with their cache, or to ask questions about their puzzles.
  • Avatar image - would be nice if this were bigger so an actual face photo can be used that is actually viewable.
  • Find count - the main metric of Geocaching - can't get rid of this!
  • Location - useful - but only if filled in accurately
  • Last visit to website - useful to figure out if they're still an active player or not
  • 'Member since:' - nice to know
  • Status of account (Premium, Lackey, etc…) - nice to know
  • Trackables logged count - I don't find this stat that useful. Maybe should be moved to an upgraded stats page.
  • See forum posts - nice for those that regularly participate in the forums.

Geocaches:

• Finds by cache type breakdown - I like this stat
  • Link to all geocache hides - useful if you like a cache by someone and want to find more by them.
  • Link to all geocache finds - Could be more useful there was a tool to compare to mine. Say I want to find geocaches that my friend has already found when I'm by myself, and save the caches neither of us have found for when we're out together.
  • Hides by cache type breakdown - Could be move to an upgraded stats page

Trackables:

• List of Trackable types discovered or moved by kind - keep this on it's own tab or page.
  • List of trackable types owned - keep this on it's own tab or page

Souvenirs:

• List of souvenirs earned - I love the souvenirs. I wish there were more of them. There are several 3rd party tools that will look at your finds and generate badges. Take a look at what's out there and see if the Souvenir's could be enhanced with Badges, or maybe make Badges a separate part of Geocaching.
  • Date souvenir was acquired - doesn't hurt to show this.

Gallery:

• Image gallery starting with most recent - I like this, but the current implementation is clunky and dated. Could use some enhancement.
  • Multiple pages - Could stay as multiple pages, or go to an "infinite scroll" model
  • If image is attached to geocache log, GC code is listed - GC Code should also be clickable and take you to the cache page (not the log)
  • Clicking image opens bigger view that links to log page/edit - This is useful. When clicked, should take you to the log (not the cache page). Also would be nice if Higher Resolution photos were allowed. The server could create lower res versions for those on mobile devices when the photo is uploaded.

Lists:

• List of all caches that user has awarded a favorite point - I didn't know that was there! This is more useful than the public lists.
  • List of all public bookmark lists - I didn't know that was there!

Statistics:

• Statistics that have been made public on geocaching.com/my/statistics.aspx - this needs to be dramatically enhanced with user selectable on/off sections. I would suggest looking at FIndStatGen in GSAK or Project-GC.com or various other 3rd party stat tools and see what they offer.

This thread will remain open for 2 weeks and close on March 12th. Please read the User Insights Forum Guidelines before posting, since these threads are moderated a bit differently than other forums.

Thanks for taking part in this conversation! :)

Here's our 6 cents... :)

We list the members of our ever-growing family so others will know who was caching when we mention our NoisyHiker number in our log. We also have a jpg of the 31 Days of Geocaching challenge that TeamMCH created - we really had fun with that!

Other than the 31DoG "mega-souvenir", we add any banners. I like the idea, but I'm too lazy to bother. I also very much like the idea - as others have said - of making a separate tab for such things. It just seems like a good organizational decision.

Enjoy? :rolleyes: Any time I'm looking at someone else's profile, it's because I am totally detective stalking them (there, I said what nobody else would say :lol: ) I access their profile for the following reasons:

1. To send them a message about something if I don't already have their email address.

2. To look at their gallery pics to see if they are male or female and how old they are. (Mostly to put faces to names at events or in the forums.)

3. To look at relevant stats - number of finds, last visited, status of caches owned (lots of needs maintenance wrenches/archivals) - when considering a potential issue involving that cacher.

Profile:

#1 - Send message to e-mail - I would like to see this whole system changed to a "Facebook-esque" message platform where the messages are stored on the site and a message notification shows up as a little alert bubble somewhere on your profile page AND in the Official App (and other apps if you could swing it). Then we would never have to worry about invalidated email addresses or spam filters. And maybe we could even add pictures to messages!

#2 - Last visit to website - and date of Last Log

#3 - Find count - because NH#6 is a stats hound

#4 - Location - because it makes a difference to how people cache

#5 - 'Member since:' - because it's interesting

#6 - Avatar image - it would be nice if it were twice the size. People put effort into choosing/creating it - it should be viewable. Please.

Not useful for our purposes:

Trackables logged count

See forum posts

Geocaches:

All is good here.

Trackables:

I've always found this list a bit difficult to navigate because I never remember what type of tag or coin I'm looking for. I usually only remember what they are attached to or if they have been given a unique name. Maybe there could be a search box at the top of this tab in which you can type the TB reference number into if you are wondering if that user has found a specific trackable.

Souvenirs:

We like the souvenirs and occassionally look at them. We NEVER look at other cachers' souvenirs. It might be nice to create some sub-tabs (similar to the stats page) that separate "Locations" from "Events/Special Days" and the aforementioned "Banners".

Gallery:

Totally fine with the gallery - thanks so much for adding the arrow navigation to scroll through photos!

Lists

Again, sub-tabs would be useful for people with public bookmark lists.

Statistics:

Occassionally we look at our stats and it inspires us to fill a date or a grid square - though we're really too lazy get organized enough to fill the whole thing. We NEVER look at other cachers' detailed stats.

Thanks for asking, Jayme!

(aauughh... ohh.... woe is us! The last Block Party! :( )

1. What do you use the bio box for? These days I am either pasting in a generated statistics from either GSAK findstats macro or Mygeocachingprofile.com, and I only update that when I have a reason to want to go check my stats for a challenge. I used to update it with more personal things but have gotten away from that.2. Do you display banners from caches or events on your profile? How important is it to you that you are able to display these on your profile? I've not done it in the past and probably wouldn't but it doesn't bother me if people do it.3. What do you most enjoy looking at on others' profiles?Milestone caches, Delorme grids and counties/states/countries cached in, pictures in their gallery, cache statistics4. Below you will find all the functionality that the page currently offers.

• What information isn't necessary on the page? What is taking up screen space that shouldn't be? What do you not find useful?

• Last visit to website Are they actively playing or is that cache you can't find and has multiple DNF's a candidate for your ignore list
  • Send message to e-mail Use this often with a question or to report a problem with their cache or if they log something in mine I want to respond personally to, or if it's someone I only know from the game and don't have their regular contact information and I want to reach them.
  • 'Member since:' This sure can tell a lot about a new hide or about someone not finding one of yours
  • Find count
  • Send a friend request (only shows when viewing someone else's profile, not your own)
  • See forum posts
  • ~ Link to give gift membership

Geocaches:

• Link to all geocache hides What I would really like on the hides is a way to email the cache owner from that link regarding that cache, so for instance you click the email link and it opens sent to hallycat re:Circus Train with the GC number so CO doesn't have to go hunt down the cache him/herself

Statistics:

<u>

<u>Lists:

• Gallery:
    • Multiple pages

</u>Trackables:</u>

• ~ Icons link to specific souvenir page

Edited by hallycat

• Link to all geocache hides What I would really like on the hides is a way to email the cache owner from that link regarding that cache, so for instance you click the email link and it opens sent to hallycat re:Circus Train with the GC number so CO doesn't have to go hunt down the cache him/herself

Good suggestion, very useful.

Is that something that would be on the profile page somewhere, or on individual cache pages. A link from a cache page to send an email to the cache owner complete with subject line like that, and a link back to the cache page, etc, I could really see benefiting a lot of users.

Don't mess with the Bio Box. Please.

I use it to tell my story, in hand-written HTML. It's my outlet. Please don't break it.

(Oh, and whenever you tweak the CSS the box inherits, that's a minor breakage. But that's not too hard for me to fix. If you took that box away completely or restricted it somehow, I'd blow a gasket.)

That's all. Thanks for asking.

EDIT: one other thing: if a user chooses to display their email address in the profile, could you please make it a direct mailto: link?

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Really, just #1: 1. What do you use the bio box for?

This has been discussed in another thread, but when considering what to do about caches with issues, I will sometimes consult the site to see if there has been any recent activity here at gc.com by the C.O. Granted, it's imperfect due to the rise in use of mobile as an interface, but it's better than nothing. Which brings us to that point --- it would be helpful if the most recent 'login' date was instead somehow modified to a most recent 'activity' date, which would include any interaction with gc.com, including mobile. I'm quicker to leave a N.A. log against a problem cache when I find that the C.O. hasn't been seen or heard for an extended period of time.

Is that something that would be on the profile page somewhere, or on individual cache pages. A link from a cache page to send an email to the cache owner complete with subject line like that, and a link back to the cache page, etc, I could really see benefiting a lot of users.

Probably would be on the cache page, just throwing it out there. Might be a way to put a link next to every GC code. Used to be a greasemonkey extension that did that when I used Firefox and I loved it.

We know that this is a well visited page and that's why we want to hear feedback from you about how you use it, what's missing from it, and what isn't necessary. Although we will most likely be updating the look and feel of the page, we would like to retain the functionality and make it easy for you to view the content that is most important to you.

1. What do you use the bio box for? I recently added some new bio information to this box.

2. Do you display banners from caches or events on your profile? How important is it to you that you are able to display these on your profile? I have never used a banner from a cache NOR DO I APPRECIATE THE DATA CHARGES of opening a page with them included. My phone data plan is limited, and my home wifi takes almost a minute to open the page shown as an example in this thread. Thew ONLY way I could see this being viable to those of us with limited data plans is to make that a separate tab

3. What do you most enjoy looking at on others' profiles? I look at other's profile page for the following (in order of importance) 1. To send them an email 2. To see how long they have been a member 3. To see their Geocaches placed

Profile:

• Send message to e-mail
  • Last visit to website
    ~ Link to give gift membership Not needed
  • Send a friend request (only shows when viewing someone else’s profile, not your own) Not needed
  • See forum posts Not needed
  • Trackables logged count Not needed
  • Find count Not needed

Geocaches:

Trackables: I Never look at this tab

Souvenirs: I Never look at this tab

Gallery: I only look here to try to see the cacher I'm 'stalking', since the bio photo is no longer available

• Multiple pages
  • If image is attached to geocache log, GC code is listed - Great idea!

Lists:

Statistics:

I IMPLORE YOU TO MAKE ONLY THOSE CHANGES WHICH LESSEN THE BANDWIDTH FOOTPRINT OF THE MAIN PROFILE PAGE. This is more relevant with the increased number of users on mobile devices. Most of those who look to the profile page DO NOT HAVE UNLIMITED DATA PLANS, nor do they always have high speed service. Those banners and photos and other large footprint items can be moved to separate tabs, available to the people who want to see those things.

I really appreciate the great information coming out of this thread - I hope folks keep adding to this; the more information the better!

I've already replied in general, but I'd like to summarise what I believe to be the top few issues - in no particular order of importance.

1. All members should have a validated e-mail address. This address should be checked periodically (every 6 months?) by sending an e-mail. If this bounces the account should be flagged in some way. No activity should be allowed (apart from logging in and changing the e-mail address) until they are revalidated.

2. Contacting a member from a "send Message" link should automate a default subject line based on the page that the link was on. If a cache page the subject could be "XXX contacting yyy Re: GCxxxxx Cache name:". If a trackable page, "xxx contacting yyy Re: TBxxxx Trackable name".

3. "Caches Found", "Trackables Owned", "Trackables Moved", "DNF logs written" and "Caches Owned" should all be displayable on the profile page. These should all be optional, but should be available.

4. The Last visited date should be a last activity date, to cover people who don't use the web site. It might be possible to break this down into various activity types.

5. The Statistics, Souvenirs and Trackables tabs should all have options to display nothing, to display the default Groundspeak information or to display custom data. All 4 custom boxes (these three plus the bio box) should have an approved, documented mechanism for automatic updating. If the option "Display Nothing" is chosen, the tab should not be displayed. Would moving statistics from the Bio Box to separate sections under tabs reduce the time taken to download the front page?

6. The avatar image belongs in the forums. The profile should have a proper profile image, similar to the one we used to have.

I have a brief paragraph about who I am, and my other interests. I don't think I've updated that paragraph in 7 years.

I also have a link which embed statistics from an external site (project-gc). The only reason that I have it here, rather than on the Statistics tab, is the bio box is the only page in the profile that is editable (i.e. can add html tags)

No, I don't but I understand it's fairly common in some areas. If I did want to display banners in my profile I would prefer that they were under a separate tab (rather than in the bio) box called something like "Achievements", which, of course would need to be editable.

I like seeing where cachers are from and where they have found caches. When viewing the Statistics tab I often find that I look at the "Maps" subsection more than any other.

• What information isn't necessary on the page? What is taking up screen space that shouldn't be? What do you not find useful?

Profile:

• Find count
  • Send message to e-mail
  • Send a friend request (only shows when viewing someone else's profile, not your own)
  • See forum posts

I don't think I'd want to see any changes in the header portion of the Profile page. I think it's concise, and has the right amount of information I'd want to share with others and see when viewing someone elses profile. If the other tabs had editable content then the bio field could just be used to provide biographical information.

Geocaches:

This pretty much functions how I'd like. Although I might not personally use it, I'd like to see an editable box which could be used for a FTF list, favorites finds, tribute caches, or some of the other things people have put in the bio field about specific caches.

Trackables:

Nothing to add here. Perhaps an editable box that could include a trackable related message. I know that some are really into coin collecting and this would be a good place to include a link to their coin collection, coin design services, etc.

Souvenirs:

I'm a fan of region based souvenirs so I'd like to see souvenirs grouped by type, then a specified sort order (date acquired...which is actually date qualified for retroactively awared souvenirs, or alphabetically). Changing the names for State/Province souvenirs such that each had a "country" prefix (e.g. U.S.: California, Canada: Alberta) would group them alphabetically.

Gallery:

• Multiple pages

Nothing to add here

Lists:

As others have mentioned, ordering bookmark lists before caches with favorite points would help. Perhaps a separate "Favorites" tab with an editable box which allows some free text to mention the creme of the crop would be nice. Currently favorites are binary; either it was marked as a favorite or it wasn't. Being able to mention ones top 5 (or whatever) favorite caches and why they were a favorite could be useful.

Statistics:

This is probably the area that most geocachers customize more than any other part of their profile and it's typically done by including some HTML from a third part site (GSAK, project-gc) into the bio box rather than on the Statistics tab.

This tab would probably benefit the most from having a editable section (like the bio box) for including statistics from a third party. In fact, opting out of the statistics provided by GS and adding a bit of html from GSAK or project-gc would likely become very common if an editable section were available on the statistics tab.

As far as the statistics provided by GS go, the map page pales in comparison with what's available from project-gc or GSAK. The Asia map is practically useless as it uses the same base map as the world map and some countries are invisible (it's impossible to see that I've found caches in SIngapore just looking at the map). The regions within a country shown on the project-gc maps and all the county maps available as macros from GSAK provide a lot more detail and are features that have been asked for in the feature request form section.

Personally, I've wondered if it might make sense for GS to get out of the statistics game and work with partner sites like GSAK and project-gc to integrate statistics generated by those sites using the API into the statistics page.

As mentioned earlier, I'd like to see the addition of an "Achievements" tab. It would be a good place to show banners for events and specific caches or badges produced by badgegen.com. Although I generally like the idea of souvenirs some of the souvenirs available feel to me more like Achievements (e.g. the August 2014 souvenirs) and would open the door for GS generated badges like 1000 finds, 5, 10 year member, Charter Member, and so on.

In summary, I see most users putting things into the bio box because there is not place else to put it and would be better to have the content in the separate tabs. Adding editable fields to the other tags would better organize the content in our public profile.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

> 1. What do you use the bio box for?

Inserting profile code generated by GSAK.

> 2. Do you display banners from caches or events on your profile? How important is it to you that you are able to display these on your profile?

What's a banner? I've been to plenty of events and 2000+ caches and I don't even know what those are, so "not very important", I guess.

> 3. What do you most enjoy looking at on others' profiles?

Stats and logs. It would be nice if there was a way to read all of someone's recent logs on one page, like you can on your own at: http://www.geocaching.com/my/geocaches.aspx

It would also be good if there was a way for someone to highlight their own favourite logs (of their own finds). Right now once something is logged, a few finds later it is buried in the system unless you look through someone's recent finds list or happen across it on the cache page. I've had some great adventures and logged the details in my Found log and it would be great to be able to flag a "top 5" or whatever to appear on my profile.

I have there a flag counter, some statistics from project gc. I dont write any bio of myself there...

No, I dont display this, it's not important for me at all :D

I enjoy most if there is a flag counter, how many views from other countries, also some statistics, maps, how far geocacher has travelled :)

Quite a few people would like to be able to see their number of DNFs and number of cache hides on the first page of their profile. See this thread.

Add me to that list please :)

If you want the number of DNFs shown would you want:

1. the total number of DNF logs you've created.

2. the total number of CACHE you've DNF'd, you may have DNF'd some caches more than once so this could be less than the figure for 1.

3. the number of caches which are still DNF, i.e. ones which you DNFd but subesequently found are not counted.

I'm not sure which would make more sense to me, perhaps 2 or 3.

Note that a number of the items below are primarily useful only for documenting this as a 'numbers' game, or for validating challenge cache numbers.

Profile:

• Avatar image = fluff, but necessary fluff since it's a standard item that people have come to expect nearly everywhere
  • Find count = may be useful as an 'experience' gauge
  • Trackables logged count = not as useful as 'find count', but potentially useful for the same reason
  • Send message to e-mail = could be VERY useful ... if one had any assurance that the email address was still valid (or ever valid, for that matter)
  • 'Member since:' = useful for understanding how much history the owner might have with regard to caching
  • Status of account (Premium, Lackey, etc…) = only useful in a forum where knowing what features are available to the user are important to providing 'how to' answers
  • Location = much quicker than looking at find history and guesssing
  • Last visit to website = could be VERY useful ... if mobile access was to be included in establishing the date. Helpful to establish if CO of a problem cache ever checks in here. I'm more inclined to N.A. a problem cache when not only is the owner not responding to email, but hasn't been around here for ages.
  • Send a friend request (only shows when viewing someone else’s profile, not your own) = OK, but certainly not essential.
  • See forum posts = OK, but if I want to do that, I'll go to the forum

Geocaches:

• Finds by cache type breakdown = helpful to document numbers for certain challenge caches, but otherwise, not critical, however, the next item...
  • Link to all geocache finds = can be helpful to establish areas commonly cached
  • Hides by cache type breakdown = as above, helpful to document numbers for certain challenge caches, but not critical.
  • Link to all geocache hides = already available from main cache search page

Trackables:

• List of Trackable types discovered or moved by kind = helpful to document numbers for certain challenge caches, but otherwise, not critical. Applies to all below.

Souvenirs:

• List of souvenirs earned = I'd like not to be quite so negative about this, but that's how I feel about it. With all of the issues with the base functionality of the site that could use attention, which bright boy at gc.com put THIS at the top of the priority list?!? It certainly doesn't seem to have come to pass as a result of user demand.

Gallery:

• Image gallery starting with most recent = this is the only way a user could reliably refer to a particular photo. Looking up every cache page isn't practical. Since this is the only place it exists, it should remain.
  • Multiple pages
  • If image is attached to geocache log, GC code is listed = also helpful, per above.

Lists:

• List of all caches that user has awarded a favorite point = this one and the one below aren't taking up any extra server space. Since they can be public/private, fine. Make them accessible if someone wishes for them to be.

Statistics:

• Statistics that have been made public on geocaching.com/my/statistics.aspx = helpful to document numbers for certain challenge caches, but otherwise, not critical if anyone actually believes 'it's not about the numbers'. Quickly putting THAT bit of fiction to bed, you'd have a peasant uprising if the stats were not available!

Nope. Don't even know what "banners from caches or events" are to be able or wanting to display them.

This is something that is very popular in Germany and other European countries but doesn't seem to have caught on in North America. For an example, see this profile.

Woah...

Yeah, no. If someone wants to code their own profile with html for images like that, they can with the system as-is.

If anything, I'm adding this to the "Germany needs its own Geocaching.com" list. :ph34r:

Quite a few people would like to be able to see their number of DNFs and number of cache hides on the first page of their profile. See this thread.

Add me to that list please :)

If you want the number of DNFs shown would you want:

1. the total number of DNF logs you've created.

2. the total number of CACHE you've DNF'd, you may have DNF'd some caches more than once so this could be less than the figure for 1.

3. the number of caches which are still DNF, i.e. ones which you DNFd but subesequently found are not counted.

I'm not sure which would make more sense to me, perhaps 2 or 3.

Add me to the list and put me down for #1, please.

#2 is possible but the number of logs is more reflective of one's caching history.

#3 is too complex. Would you include caches you never found but are now archived? Or just active unfound?