Hiking Events

HikingSeal

So you admit that it is possible to have them as you like!

Not here.

That's the same issue that a traditional that enforces a 15km walk is not possible in my area while of course there are areas of the world where this works.

Let's talk again when those example hiking events typically get around 100 participants and way more than 50% do not go for the hike.

That changes the nature of the event completely.

Edited by cezanne

I marvel that this thread keeps going strong! When last I looked it was at 7 pages and now it's up to 10. I have a running bet with someone that it will get to a certain number. Please let me win so he has to dress up like a woman the next time we cache together!! Pleeeeeease!!

I'd get in on that but I've already spent my paycheck on the "how long it's going to take before GS reverts back to the old search engine" pool.

But anyway, if the new seach tool stays, it will become very tiresome to search for events anyway and maybe impossible at some point. So maybe it's a moot issue anyway, but I did not know before yesterday night.

Hey, why not keep your gripes about the search tool over in that thread. We've already got enough to deal with here. You keep changing your windmill tilting enough every day in this thread with things that are tangentially related .

But anyway, if the new seach tool stays, it will become very tiresome to search for events anyway and maybe impossible at some point. So maybe it's a moot issue anyway, but I did not know before yesterday night.

Hey, why not keep your gripes about the search tool over in that thread. We've already got enough to deal with here. You keep changing your windmill tilting enough every day in this thread with things that are tangentially related .

I mentioned it because it might well be that I cannot search for events on gc.com anyway which makes all here irrelevant. I mentioned it here for this reason.

Moreover, I cannot make some comparisons right now about events in different areas without using tiresome workarounds and changing back and forth - so it is impossible to demonstrate that

the local event scene is heavily affected and does not look like the scene in some areas of the US or of Canada.

Edited by cezanne

Todays theme: my pal will not host a skate event anymore

Todays theme: they won’t let us sign the blanket

Todays theme: we have to stand and talk for ½ hour and can’t skate

Today’s theme: hiking and skating are frowned upon

Today’s theme: hiking is impossible

Today’s theme: People are coming and not skating

Today’s theme: skating event is better because host spent money on prizes

Today’s theme: eating at events, the good, the bad, the ugly

Today’s theme: eating is an event, hiking and skating are not

Today’s theme: Groundspeak only likes eating

Today’s theme: I want to skate on a 4.5 terrain rink so I can keep my personal percentage up

Today’s theme: a blurb on GC.com mentions party events but does not mention scuba diving

Todays theme: restrooms

Today's theme: Search will not let me find good events even though they no longer exist in my home area

Ad infinitum

I’m sure there are more but I hate to read it all again and the mind is a terrible thing to mush…

[

This event, especially, seems to work just fine for what you want,

No, definitely not. Too much focus on geocaching.

You realize you're in the geocaching forum, not the hiking forum, right?

Yes, but one of the arguments against hiking events has always been that they are disguised group cache hunts while I for me the purpose of an event is not to hunt for geocaches.

I prefer hiking events where searching for caches is not part of the event.

I hunt for caches on my own, but not in larger groups. That's not what geocaching is about for me.

Events that appear to be like what you want, but probably won't pass muster with you, although I think there's one that's right up your alley.

This one.

This one.

This one.

This one.

This one. Not one hike but two hikes offered.

This one.

This one. Interesting concept.

This one.

This one.

This one.

This one.

This one.

This one.

This one. In France and about an 8 km walk.

This one.

This one.

Listing of all events published after the guideline changes.

Yes, but one of the arguments against hiking events has always been that they are disguised group cache hunts while I for me the purpose of an event is not to hunt for geocaches.

I prefer hiking events where searching for caches is not part of the event.

...you realize... that's not a geocaching event.

Done.

I mentioned it because it might well be that I cannot search for events on gc.com anyway which makes all here irrelevant. I mentioned it here for this reason.

Moreover, I cannot make some comparisons right now about events in different areas without using tiresome workarounds and changing back and forth - so it is impossible to demonstrate that

the local event scene is heavily affected and does not look like the scene in some areas of the US or of Canada.

Sure you can. Just use this link to see all the events around the world by date. MUCH faster than the new search engine.

Maybe cezanne is right, guys. Maybe Groundspeak is turning their back on people who don't like to geocache, don't have geocaching friends, and don't like to talk about geocaching.

I understand the hurt feelings, I mean, it was rough when I showed up to the local tennis club with a fishing rod and they didn't have any way to accommodate what I wanted to do there.

Sure you can. Just use this link to see all the events around the world by date. MUCH faster than the new search engine.

That does not do what I want. I do it via the old search engine and typing in manually region codes and that's tiresome.

For my own region I have saved a bookmark link, but have no idea how long it will work. I want to focus on all events in an area and not on all events on a day.

I hunt for caches on my own, but not in larger groups. That's not what geocaching is about for me.

Is geocaching about meeting other geocachers and talking about geocaching? For you, that is.

I do not understand your question.

In any case, I have always felt that events are something different from a cache and should not count as finds.

Geocaching events are about meeting other geocachers, I agree.

But I did not find anything that geocaching events are intended to hunt for caches in a group of 20 or more people.

I'm sorry but that seems pretty meaningless to me though I respect if others enjoy it.

Edited by cezanne

That does not do what I want. I do it via the old search engine and typing in manually region codes and that's tiresome.

For my own region I have saved a bookmark link, but have no idea how long it will work. I want to focus on all events in an area and not on all events on a day.

OMG! Did you even look at the link? It lists numbers of events by country on each day. Then you click on the day, scroll down the list until you arrive at your country of choice and then, voila, there they are, ready for you to bookmark. Seems easier to me than typing in country codes, setting filters and then having to go back and do it all over again for a new area. FYI, US events are at the bottom of the list while Austria is near the top and Germany somewhere near the top too. There's one in Austria, 3 in Czech Republic, 2 in Switzerland, and 8 in Germany.

OMG! Did you even look at the link?

Yes, and I have known it before and I never liked to use it. To each their own.

It's like most people like to use maps for cache planning and I focus on nearest searches.

What gives me the picture I'd like to have is to look at the all events available in area A (all published ones not yet archived) and then all events in area B etc

Edited by cezanne

This is not about hiking at all and just waiting until a big very competitive geocaching hunt (nightmare for me) starts.

But I guess you did not realize that due to the German listing.

Uhh... no. I posted it because it's not a food event and wanted to show you different types of events that have been published since the new guidelines went into effect. I know you don't like events like this, but this points out that it's NOT all about food, shelters, and rest rooms. I have no idea if I'd actually attend an event like this, but it is something different than the norm that you believe Groundspeak is attempting to force on you.

[

What gives me the picture I'd like to have is to look at the all events available in area A (all published ones not yet archived) and then all events in area B etc

GSAK does this quite easily but I'm guessing that you don't like GSAK either. You draw a rectangle (or some other shape) around the area you want to search, select the cache types (events in this case) and GSAK does the rest, putting them all in a nice neat list. Repeat for the other area. You can even have GSAK draw a map with the events plotted for you.

This is not about hiking at all and just waiting until a big very competitive geocaching hunt (nightmare for me) starts.

But I guess you did not realize that due to the German listing.

Uhh... no. I posted it because it's not a food event and wanted to show you different types of events that have been published since the new guidelines went into effect. I know you don't like events like this, but this points out that it's NOT all about food, shelters, and rest rooms. I have no idea if I'd actually attend an event like this, but it is something different than the norm that you believe Groundspeak is attempting to force on you.

No this event is just 30 minutes of doing nothing. What takes place later is not part of the event anyway. I meant that Groundspeak focuses on food, shelters, rest rooms etc for what counts as event to them. They published the above event as it meets the bare minimum and I hardly think that they regard is an overachiever event.

Edited by cezanne

In any case, I have always felt that events are something different from a cache and should not count as finds.

So... just host a hike and invite geocachers directly without making it an event.

That's exactly what the ice skating event will end up.

gc.com will lose however and those who do not belong to cliques and are not local to the event area.

I thought that there should be better ways, but apparently they are not and Groundspeak does not seem to have interest to keep such events on their site.

What takes place later is not part of the event anyway.

I meant that Groundspeak focuses on food, shelters, rest rooms etc for what counts as event to them.

Exactly, because the event can't be about finding geocaches and the Rally is purely about finding geocaches. This event is the official kick off to the rally because no one can start finding caches until the specified time. This is an opportunity to meet other cachers, possibly discuss strategy, and get ready to start the day, even if you're not participating in the Rally. It's a social event where socializing takes place. There's no food, shelter or restrooms evident at this event, meaning that it's different than what you claim Groundspeak primarily counts as an event. I never claimed that you'd appreciate this event, only that it's different than what you think Groundspeak is attempting to focus on.

What takes place later is not part of the event anyway.

I meant that Groundspeak focuses on food, shelters, rest rooms etc for what counts as event to them.

Exactly, because the event can't be about finding geocaches and the Rally is purely about finding geocaches. This event is the official kick off to the rally because no one can start finding caches until the specified time. This is an opportunity to meet other cachers, possibly discuss strategy, and get ready to start the day, even if you're not participating in the Rally. It's a social event where socializing takes place. There's no food, shelter or restrooms evident at this event, meaning that it's different than what you claim Groundspeak primarily counts as an event. I never claimed that you'd appreciate this event, only that it's different than what you think Groundspeak is attempting to focus on.

Ok, I realize we talk about different things. First let me tell you that I appreciate the effort you put into this very much. Thank you.

I got that you did not select that event because you thought it would appeal to me.

I never meant to say that Groundspeak requires food, shelter, etc at an event.

What I tried to say is that what I read makes me feel that Groundspeak values events that take care about food, rest rooms, shelter etc, include games and take considerably longer than 30 minutes

the most. That's what they apparently regard as show cases for a nice geocaching event in the sense of overachieving.

The 30 minutes event up there is just the bare minimum of an event, and that's why it cannot be used as counterexample in relation to my feeling above.

Edited by cezanne

So... just host a hike and invite geocachers directly without making it an event.

gc.com will lose however and those who do not belong to cliques and are not local to the event area.

I thought that there should be better ways, but apparently they are not and Groundspeak does not seem to have interest to keep such events on their site.

Why would Groundspeak be interested in hosting things entirely unrelated to geocaching? As far as I am aware, they are not out to compete with Meetup.com. How is it a loss?

Here we are four pages (and less than 3 days) later, and no one has responded to my earlier suggestion:

If Groundspeak's concern is with flash mob events and event stacking, and if moving events are compatible with Groundspeak's goals for events, then how about just:

It takes place starts/ends at the posted coordinates, includes start and end times, and lasts at least 30 minutes.

Of course, if Groundspeak is actually concerned about moving events themselves, and if moving events do not fit what Groundspeak wants event caches to be, then they can just leave the current guidelines alone. And fans of moving events will just have to suck it up, the way fans of locationless caches and ALR caches did.

Why would Groundspeak be interested in hosting things entirely unrelated to geocaching? As far as I am aware, they are not out to compete with Meetup.com. How is it a loss?

Can you please explain my why if cachers sit in a restaurant and eat pasta and talk about geocaching it is related to geocaching and if

cachers meet at an ice skating area and skate and talk about geocaching or go for a hike and talk about geocaching it is not related to geocaching?

I just do not get it.

Edited by cezanne

Here we are four pages (and less than 3 days) later, and no one has responded to my earlier suggestion:

If Groundspeak's concern is with flash mob events and event stacking, and if moving events are compatible with Groundspeak's goals for events, then how about just:

It takes place starts/ends at the posted coordinates, includes start and end times, and lasts at least 30 minutes.

Of course, if Groundspeak is actually concerned about moving events themselves, and if moving events do not fit what Groundspeak wants event caches to be, then they can just leave the current guidelines alone. And fans of moving events will just have to suck it up, the way fans of locationless caches and ALR caches did.

I think because maybe we don't grasp what you mean... do you mean that the event starts at the posted coords, then moves to some other location, but then returns to the posted coordinates at the end?

I would presume that's not publishable. It was never about someone being there at the start time and end time only. It's always been a duration - that the event take place at the posted coordinates for the duration of the event. That seems intuitive and understandable, implied and inferrable, even if one doesn't like what it means for moving events...

Can you please explain my why if cachers sit in a restaurant and eat pasta and talk about geocaching it is related to geocaching and if

cachers meet at an ice skating area and skate and talk about geocaching or go for a hike and talk about geocaching it is not related to geocaching?

I just do not get it.

Nobody said those things weren't about geocaching.

Your ideal event, evidently, is not about geocaching. You just want to use the geocaching site as a platform to bring people to something that has nothing to do with geocaching, and that's an entirely separate issue.

I just do not get it.

round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and we go

I just do not get it.

Because they're at a geocaching event, hosted and put on for like minded participants who want to socialize instead of geocache. In other words, they want to learn more about someone that might be outside of the geocaching world we live in. Many times it doesn't go that far, but sometimes it does. We learn about each other's families, where they went to school, common friends, and even occasionally political beliefs. Most of the time, however, it revolves around geocaching because it's a common thing all the attendees share.

Nobody said those things weren't about geocaching.

Your ideal event, evidently, is not about geocaching. You just want to use the geocaching site as a platform to bring people to something that has nothing to do with geocaching, and that's an entirely separate issue.

But it was you who said that events like the ice skating event do not take place any longer on gc.com is no loss and then continued to say that Groundspeak has no interest in hostings things entirely unrelated to geocaching. How else could one understand your statement?

What I said is that I prefer hiking events where it is not about searching together for a series of geocaches. I would even question whether hunting for caches in groups of 20 and more is geocaching.

Edited by cezanne

I just do not get it.

Because they're at a geocaching event, hosted and put on for like minded participants who want to socialize instead of geocache.

Wait: narcissa objected against my statement that I prefer hiking events which do not focus on going to search for 10 caches together and told me that geocaching events are about

geocaching. She then went on to say that it is not a loss for gc.com if events like the ice skating event and some hiking events are not hosted any longer on gc.com because they are not related to geocaching. That's why I asked my question.

All three cases above in my opinion fulfill what you stated above, don't they?

In other words, they want to learn more about someone that might be outside of the geocaching world we live in. Many times it doesn't go that far, but sometimes it does. We learn about each other's families, where they went to school, common friends, and even occasionally political beliefs. Most of the time, however, it revolves around geocaching because it's a common thing all the attendees share.

Yes, I know. But that does not address the dialogue between narcissa and myself.

Edited by cezanne

The posting of an event on GC.com makes it a geocaching event. If the ice skating host wants to have the event, but not invite geocachers by not creating an event, it's not about geocaching anymore and why would Groundspeak want to be involved in a non-geocaching activity where geocachers aren't invited? Same as a hike where cachers aren't invited or any other event that cachers aren't invited to because there's no geocaching event created to invite geocachers. Groundspeak has no interest in them, nor should they.

The posting of an event on GC.com makes it a geocaching event. If the ice skating host wants to have the event, but not invite geocachers by not creating an event, it's not about geocaching anymore and why would Groundspeak want to be involved in a non-geocaching activity where geocachers aren't invited?

Well, that's tiresome.

What I wrote above was that the next ice skating event will take part outside of Groundspeak's site. It will still be directed to geocachers (but instead all geocachers who see the event on gc.com it will be announced in a different manner). I consider this as a loss for gc.com.

And narcissa replied that it is not a loss as such events are entirely unrelated to geocaching.

I think because maybe we don't grasp what you mean... do you mean that the event starts at the posted coords, then moves to some other location, but then returns to the posted coordinates at the end?
Exactly.

Join us for a docent-led hike through the preserve, which is normally unavailable to the public. We'll leave the trailhead (posted coordinates) at 9am and return at approximately 2-3pm.

Join us for a moonlight ride through the redwoods on an authentic steam train. We'll depart at 9pm from the station (posted coordinates) and return at 10:30pm.

Join us for a sunrise stroll to one of the park's vista points. We'll leave the trailhead (posted coordinates) an hour before sunrise (6am) and return about an hour after sunrise (8am).

These would be the kind of moving events that we've been discussing in this thread.

If Groundspeak is actually concerned about moving events themselves, and if moving events do not fit what Groundspeak wants event caches to be, then they can just leave the current guidelines alone.

But if, as was implied in an earlier post, Groundspeak's concern is with flash mob events and event stacking, and moving events are "collateral damage", then I think my suggested change would allow moving events without weakening the effort to address flash mob events and event stacking.

Edited by niraD

So you admit that it is possible to have them as you like!

Not here.

Oh?

I have no issues with the list. It just demonstrates what I have been aware before as well. That such events are more common in other parts of the world and also that they work better there without ending up as something they have not been planned for. That's both related to the number of cachers and also the area where the events take place.

You recognize that it's possible here. Why not there?

Just because your region has been "doing it wrong" (I used that term loosely, but you should understand what I'm saying...but I guess you won't based on previous overreactions and latching onto things that are not the point...) means they can't adjust? If we're doing it here, and it meets the guidelines, what stopping your regional peers from falling in line?

You see, this is about consistency, and you've now found out that how you all have been playing is inconsistent with the "spirit" of Groundspeak's game. Oopsy!

You recognize that it's possible here. Why not there?

I already explained it. It is of course possible to list events in this style, but the outcome and atmosphere will be a different one due to more participants and an area that is less remote and where almost every point is easily reachable from a road not too far away.

I like small events and most of the linked events are such small events and those that have already taken place typically make it evident that the big majority of the participants took part in the activity. That's the part which is not working here.

As your other comment is regarded: It's not at all about consistency and I have never played anything with respect to geocaching.

It's a physical activity for me. Period.

The reviewers did tell the cachers who had to rewrite listings that the guidelines have changed. None of them talked about clarifications or having formerly

published caches against the guidelines. I guess you will not expect local cachers to think that all the reviewers in the country are violating the guidelines and their own understanding of the guidelines is wrong, too. The statements which can now be found in various Groundspeak texts have not been there when my idea of what a geocaching event is has been shaped.

Edited by cezanne

Events that appear to be like what you want, but probably won't pass muster with you, although I think there's one that's right up your alley.

Cachers are encouraged to note the published date on many of these Events. Several of them were published prior to the Guideline change and would require some modification before being published today.

Cachers are encouraged to note the published date on many of these Events. Several of them were published prior to the Guideline change and would require some modification before being published today.

You make me happy by using "guideline change" too while NeverSummer tries to convince me that all the cachers in my country including myself have just not understood what the guidelines said right from the beginning. At least it makes me feel not as that big of an idiot.

Edited by cezanne

I just do not get it.

My god, cezanne! Can you please explain to me where you GOT that idea? I just don't get it. You seriously think that you could not have an event at an ice skating area?

I just do not get it.

I asked you a while back, as did NeverSummer, if you had even TRIED to set up an event like you are saying is no longer allowable, and every time, you have ignored the question. I challenge you to set one up. Work with your reviewer and see what you can agree upon, and report back to us rather than going on and on and on about what you think you maybe don't like about this. Until you try, you really don't know. Double-dog dare you. Set one up.

do you mean that the event starts at the posted coords, then moves to some other location, but then returns to the posted coordinates at the end?
Exactly.

Join us for a docent-led hike through the preserve, which is normally unavailable to the public. We'll leave the trailhead (posted coordinates) at 9am and return at approximately 2-3pm.

Join us for a moonlight ride through the redwoods on an authentic steam train. We'll depart at 9pm from the station (posted coordinates) and return at 10:30pm.

Join us for a sunrise stroll to one of the park's vista points. We'll leave the trailhead (posted coordinates) an hour before sunrise (6am) and return about an hour after sunrise (8am).

These would be the kind of moving events that we've been discussing in this thread.

That's certainly not the type of hike I got from the discussion. Nonetheless, everything still stands - the point that there must be something happening at the posted coordinates (where the event is being held) for the duration of the event. Otherwise how would anyone know that the event is going on if there's no one there? Or where everyone is? That it hasn't been canceled or plans changed? The whole point is that the event is at the posted coordinates for a duration of at least 30 minutes. I can see numerous reasons as to why this makes sense. Of course it's possible to think of events and activities most anyone would consider fun and worthwhile which don't fall in line with the rules. But the point is - this is the setup they want. The rules aren't willy nilly, they have reason to exist - even if only to shape the style of events they want to represent Geocaching.com Event Listings.

Events aren't CITOs aren't mega events aren't giga events. Each type of event listing has different rules. For standard Geocaching.com Events, there are minimal rules to work within. And each one has a reason for existing, even if it is merely to shape the face of the Official Geocaching.com Event Listing.

Edited by thebruce0

What I wrote is much less about me than you might suspect. It is about the effect on the local community as a whole. I have watched so many leaving and this focus on

party style of events fits well into the development.

Really? You seem to be the only one, of the "many" leaving because of these party style events, that has voiced dissent. Methinks this is all about you.

The Guidelines according that were changed much, much earlier, namely when the ALRs were forbidden.

Only that reviewers in many regions has failed to acknowledge it. Nothing new, it's well known secret that reviewers are making and enforcing their own rules only inspired by original guidelines.

Just imagine flame wars here, if Groundspeak would say, that if finding the cache requires querying internet, or the stage coordinates are neither in listing nor in physical stages, that cache can't be listed as multi, but mystery...

Events are not the only type of caches, where the differences between various countries were so immense, that only very naive person would believe there's something like 'general guidelines'.

That's certainly not the type of hike I got from the discussion. Nonetheless, everything still stands - the point that there must be something happening at the posted coordinates (where the event is being held) for the duration of the event.
Why must there be something happening at the posted coordinates for the duration of the Event Cache? Why isn't it enough to tell people when we're going to depart and when we're going to return?

In the real world, I've planned or otherwise been involved with any number of events (not Event Caches) where everyone met at a specific time and place, and then we went somewhere else. And the socialization took place primarily during the trip, not at the initial meeting place. In the real world, people seem to understand that they need to get to the departure location by the departure time if they're going to join an event that involves traveling as a group. It's only here in the geocaching forums that this concept seems to present an insurmountable barrier.

And maybe it is an insurmountable barrier. Maybe Groundspeak really doesn't want moving Event Caches, and wants all Event Caches to be stationary. If so, then they can just leave the current guidelines the way they are.

Or maybe, as was implied in an earlier post, Groundspeak's concern is with flash mob Event Caches and the stacking of Event Caches, and moving Event Caches are merely "collateral damage". In that case, I think my suggested change would allow moving Event Caches without weakening the effort to address flash mob Event Caches and the stacking of Event Caches.

I think it's the common sense and the effort to prevent virtual events, with the same issue as with the virtuals, namely inflation because of almost no cost of creating it.

Hike sounds nice for an event. But what if I go shopping? 1 km from home, it's about 10 minutes. I could register it as en event, though. Why not? I go shopping and I get a smiley. Or I go running every Wednesday at 19. Why not register it as an event? If any geocacher goes running with me, I get a smiley.

Or I need to travel somewhere. My bus stops in X for 10 minutes, so I can register an event there. Why to lose time, when I can get smiley?

Requiring 30 minutes on the given coordinates is simply the rational countermeasure to prevent such event misuse. Now events are not for free, they require some effort from the owner. It's not simply 3 friends are going hike on the evening and they got an idea to get a smiley. If they really want to make an event, they need to invest at least 30 minutes to wait for other geocachers.

Of course, some people are now mad they can't get the smiley so easy and they'd leave. Some people were mad they can't mark their favourite bus stop as virtual anymore, and they'd left. The others will come.

If for someone the most important in geocaching is getting smileys for skating, hiking or photographing bus stops, then geocaching is not for them anyway.