window phone

claypup

I am a true rookie. My husband and I are just getting introduced to geocaching. We have window phones. When looking at the apps available for geocaching it appears only Apple and android are supported by the premium membership. Is this correct? Obviously my question is, is the premium service restricted to Apple and android phones only?

Thanks,

claypup

Premium Membership is website-based. It is not app-based.

It functions the same without regard to the phone operating system, just as it does regarding GPSr system.

Membership status should not be confused with app serviceability.

Apple and Android versions have both a (full) Pro-app as well as a (free) Intro-app. This is totally unrelated to Premium Membership.

The Windows phone apparently has just a single (Official Groundspeak) app. It does seem to function a bit differently than the other system apps, but it does seem to be a full-type app.

It functions the same without regard to the phone operating system, just as it does regarding GPSr system.

Apple and Android versions have both a (full) Pro-app as well as a (free) Intro-app. This is totally unrelated to Premium Membership.

The Windows phone apparently has just a single (Official Groundspeak) app. It does seem to function a bit differently than the other system apps, but it does seem to be a full-type app.

EDIT to add: An app purchase is a one-time shot. Premium Membership is a subscription along with a recurring membership fee.

Read up on Premium Membership here: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=5

Unlike Android and iOS, where you're able to buy a "once and done" purchase of the full (now called pro?) app for ten bucks, to have the full app on windows, you need to be a premium member to get it - each year.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd think $10. paid once and good forever, is just a bit cheaper than spending $30. each year for the windows app. :)

I am a true rookie. My husband and I are just getting introduced to geocaching. We have window phones. When looking at the apps available for geocaching it appears only Apple and android are supported by the premium membership. Is this correct? Obviously my question is, is the premium service restricted to Apple and android phones only?

Thanks,

claypup

There is a free app for Windows phones. Look here.

It's limited to three caches a day.

Gave up my Windows phone a while ago.

If I remember correctly, and maybe a lackey could correct me if wrong, the only real difference between free and the paid (premium membership required, paid yearly) Windows app is you don't have that three caches per day limit.

Edited by cerberus1

Thanks for responding. Now that I have researched this subject a little bit more I do understand the difference. I just recently upgraded my phone from a "dumb" phone to a smartphone. The education of apps has been interesting. If I had realized before I purchased the windows phone it was going to be an issue, I would have concentrated more on the android. Well, that is water under the bridge, so life goes on.

As many Windows phones as there are out there, and as common as this issue seems to be, I am trying to think positively this issue will addressed. Obviously is has to an extent.

I am sure everyone has their own preferences. I have been reading up on the different geo apps for windows, and I will admit it getting a little confusing. It is not like I would be investing the farm with the purchase of any particular one, but I am bouncing back and forth between GeoPro and GCExplorer. Of course Pro is free , but explorer has a 15 day free trial. Any thoughts?

It sounds like I am sweating bullets over a $4.00 investment. I need to get a life.

Thanks again,

Claypup

Sorry, I'm not familiar with either.

When you're premium for years and offered a free app (and already had the phone...), the official app was (at the time) a good deal.

I've heard that maaloo geocaching had good reviews, but again, haven't used that one either.

I'd say since you don't even know if you'll have fun with this odd hobby, maybe loading the basic app for now, while you're still investigating things. :)

Heck, if you really get into it, maybe you'll return with a "what GPSr to buy?" question, skipping the phone altogether. :laughing:

Thanks for responding. Now that I have researched this subject a little bit more I do understand the difference. I just recently upgraded my phone from a "dumb" phone to a smartphone. The education of apps has been interesting. If I had realized before I purchased the windows phone it was going to be an issue, I would have concentrated more on the android. Well, that is water under the bridge, so life goes on.

As many Windows phones as there are out there, and as common as this issue seems to be, I am trying to think positively this issue will addressed. Obviously is has to an extent.

I am sure everyone has their own preferences. I have been reading up on the different geo apps for windows, and I will admit it getting a little confusing. It is not like I would be investing the farm with the purchase of any particular one, but I am bouncing back and forth between GeoPro and GCExplorer. Of course Pro is free , but explorer has a 15 day free trial. Any thoughts?

It sounds like I am sweating bullets over a $4.00 investment. I need to get a life.

Thanks again,

Claypup

I have a Windows Phone 7. I don't use it anymore, my daugter uses it just on WiFi now. I think the biggest disapointment I had was the lack of quality apps. Back when I was using it, Geocaching.com had the only good geocaching app for it. It was free (if I remember correctly) and worked quite well whith my Premium Membership. With a basic membership I think you are limited to downloading 3 cache descriptions per day.

Make that two caches - got the info in the pub where we had an event and headed out to grab the cache while waiting for the food to be served. My phone was no help away from the free WiFi, but Popoki Nui has a $10/month data plan so that helped. Pay as you Go saves money....even more is saved by buying the $100 card which is good for a year! Yup, I'm cheap, or thrifty, or.....