Nature monuments category?

I haven't found matching category for nature monuments - that is, the trees (mostly) that because of its age and size have gained special legal protection, and are marked with special sign. In the Poland alone there are more that 36 thousand of them.

Do you agree they deserve the special category?

Could someone help me create that category?

I haven't found matching category for nature monuments - that is, the trees (mostly) that because of its age and size have gained special legal protection, and are marked with special sign. In the Poland alone there are more that 36 thousand of them.

Can you supply an example?

I think the trees you are talking about can fit into the Historic Trees category, if they have a plaque about their history. If they are special for some other reason they can go into Exceptional Trees.

If they have been cut down to show the rings they can go into Exceptional Tree Ring Growth Displays category.

Other categories:

Superlatives if it is an OLDEST, LARGEST, TALLEST, etc

First of its Kind: If it was a first -- first fruit tree planted by a king, for example

Last of its kind: if it was a last -- last tree used to hang prisoners in [name of place]

Signs of History -- if the sign on the tree is not a historic marker acceptable in another category.

Dedicated Trees -- if planted in someone's honor

There are lots of tree categories that you could put these trees in, I think :) Have fun :)

Some of them have history, some not. All are especial in the sense they're under special protection of the law. There's also the touristic badge (from PTTK) for visiting a given number of them. But there's no geo-registry of them with cooridinates.

Do you thing that any nature monument tree will be accepted under the category of exceptional trees? Some of them look not so exceptional, only they are big enough to match the criteria for the nature monument.

Some of them have history, some not. All are especial in the sense they're under special protection of the law. There's also the touristic badge (from PTTK) for visiting a given number of them. But there's no geo-registry of them with cooridinates.

Do you thing that any nature monument tree will be accepted under the category of exceptional trees? Some of them look not so exceptional, only they are big enough to match the criteria for the nature monument.

Hmmm -- given what you have written, I don't think these trees sound like they could go into Exceptional Trees. If all that is special about them is that they are protected by law, then there may not be a category for them. Are they in a municipal, state, or national park? You could waymark the oark and by extension, the trees there in the appropriate park category

Municipal parks

State/provincial parks

National parks of the world

There are many levels of law protection in Poland (and it's most likely the same in other middle-european countries)

- national parks

- sightseeing protection areas

- national reserves

- national monuments

National monuments can be eratics, trees, rocks or karst spring. The trees (evt. group of trees) are the most common and there are over 30 thousand of them in Poland alone. I don't know the numbers about the Germany, but they are very common there too.

Protecting masses of individual trees is a concept I have not heard of before. I like it, out there...

But from a Waymarking point of view, listings of tens of thousands of individual trees, without anything special, except for reaching a certain size or age, I cannot imagine that this could be a good category.

Seems like not every "interesting type of thing" (taking into account that that itself is highly subjective) is a good candidate for Waymarking.

A case in point, about 1/2 year ago someone tried to make a category for every bloomin' grave on the planet! They didn't pass the idea around in the forums or I would definitely have seen it. But I did see it in peer review (before my PM lapsed). Turns out that there are at least two other sites, FindAGrave and BillionGraves, that are much better suited to handling the volume and special information involved in graves (such as links to graves of relatives, etc.).

So there may be a potential list of some really interesting things, but they may be better off on a web site devoted to those types of things. Not sure about your case. Just stating that this concept should be taken into consideration.

Does that mean that things listed elsewhere cannot be listed here? Certainly not. I can think of several categories (such as National Register of Historic Places) that are listed elsewhere and here. But it is a judgment call. Can't always be determined objectively, unfortunately. Another "for example": Cemeteries are listed in the aforementioned sites but also here. The difference is mostly one of "interest" (subjective as it is) in a collection of cemeteries in Waymarking, versus a disinterest in a collection of all graves in those cemeteries. The latter is just too much. (Now specific types of graves is another matter.)