Where to go? Ver-ti-go!

King Pellinore

i had read the logs for this cache several times and wished it was active. got my shot today, and got it. SWEET. thanks for the cache, well thought out, challenging caches like that are the reason we do this. i love places like that, and never hesitated to go after it.

ps. liked "minute" too.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I'm flexible...sort of. On jury duty this week, so I'm not sure when I get out.

Wow... can you imagine having BrianSnat as a member of a "jury of your peers?" Think Henry Fonda in "Twelve Angry Men."

WITNESS: "I was driving past the intersection of Oak Street and Highway Six..."

BRIAN: "Do you have coordinates for that? I'm having trouble pulling it up on Streets and Trips...."

WITNESS: "... then I saw the Defendant threatening the victim at knifepoint..."

BRIAN: "Is that like a waypoint?"

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

After trying for this one AGES ago while it was missing, it would be nice to give it another go. Not all that far from where I work, but traffic between there and New Brunswick can be a bear, and my work hrs vary from day to day, so if I'm there, count me in, if not, maybe next time (I've been there, I KNOW better then to do it alone).

"This is gc.com, love it or leave it "

quote:
Originally posted by Team Shibby:

According to my mapsource maps it looks to be in the 70'+ into the raritan river icon_eek.gif

Is this the case? If so, you are a bunch of brave souls!!

Kar

Kar, from someone who's been there, I ain't saying NOTHING! icon_smile.gif You gotta see it for yourself.

"This is gc.com, love it or leave it "

Well it took a team effort, but we found it. Haggaeus was the key, as he was tall enough (and brave enough) to snag the cache. David, from Team DEMP was the first one who was daring enough to climb to the area of the cache. I tried but couldn't fit icon_redface.gif (thank goodness the photo Ekitt10 took of me stuck between the RR ties didn't come out). Also in attendance were Hartclimbs, Skully & Mulder (who found it before the rest of us got there), Team Ekitt10 and Mopar.

An appearance by his majesty himself made it all worthwhile. We had a good time and most appropriately, retired to White Castle for dinner after the find. I limited myself to a half dozen, for obvious reasons.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

This sounded like a lot of fun. I think that we should have a once monthly evening event, where we all go to a Northern NJ cache in the evening.

I propose that we vote by acclamation, to have BrianSnat tasked with the following:

(1) Pick out the next cache (who knows great caches better then Brian in the Northern NJ area).

(2) Pick a date

(3) Create a group name.

All those in concurrence say "aye" !!

I see no reason not to try and organize a monthly mini event. It was truly a blast!!

Even if we can't do it after work, which is harder as the daylight gets shorter now, even a weekend cache or two would be a lot of fun.

For me, a relative newbie compared to the legends that showed up yesterday, it was sure a treat!

The more advance notice that is given, the better chance folks can likely attend.

quote:
who knows great caches better then Brian in the Northern NJ area

Lets see, probably Bassoonpilot, Skully & Mulder, Magoo, Harrald, Stayfloopy and Hartclimbs icon_wink.gif .

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by Kber:

This sounded like a lot of fun. I think that we should have a once monthly evening event, where we all go to a Northern NJ cache in the evening.

Actually, I like this idea a lot. there have been several attempt to pull something off but must have been impromptu.

quote:

(1) Pick out the next cache (who knows great caches better then Brian in the Northern NJ area).

How about a poll question of 5 NJ caches.

After a week of votes we'd go to the winner. ???

quote:

(2) Pick a date

2nd Tuesday of the Month? Even better, what about 2nd Saturday of the Month?

quote:

(3) Create a group name.

Wouldn't this be the NJGA (ooops, flame-retardant suit is on)

I've posted some picture of the 'event' on Where-to-go's site. They are all big time spoilers, although that's a relative term, knowing where it is is the easy, and fairly obvious part. You still need to be brave enought to actually get the dadgum thing!

Needless to so, I will remove the pictures at the King's request if he feels they are too much of a give away.

Anyone interested in the collection of pictures I took drop me a line. (4MB email attachment)

quote:
Originally posted by Team Ekitt10:

2nd Tuesday of the Month? Even better, what about 2nd Saturday of the Month?

I would prefer to keep Saturdays for individual hikes/hunts, or fulltime event caches. Tuesdays after work are ok but the days are getting shorter - any good night caches in Northern NJ?

Also, would anybody be interested in NY caches (cacheninjas ones in Upper Manhattan, Hudson Valley), or is it too far for the group?

Czech caching in US.

quote:
Originally posted by Haggaeus:

I would prefer to keep Saturdays for individual hikes/hunts, or fulltime event caches. Tuesdays after work are ok but the days are getting shorter - any good night caches in Northern NJ?

There's a night cache in Milford, CT that I've been meaning to do. Well, actually I've been waiting for a day when night falls at 4:30pm so I won't have to wait in CT too long.

There's always Night Vision at Cheesequake for anyone who hasn't been there yet.

icon_smile.gif Since becoming a geocacher in January, I've wished that this cache would be re-activated as it certainly appears to be a worthy challenge. I intent to give this cache a try early tomorrow afternoon. I'm now one away from my 200th cache and thought this would be a great cache for that milestone. Based on the logs, I decided to invest in some safety gear and I'm now ready to give it a shot (I thought this would be particulary important since I'm only 5'8" and it sounds like I may need to reach for this one). icon_eek.gif Wish me luck, and "Long live the good King Pellinore!