Account Validation

NeverSummer

Just encountered another example of new cachers who came to the game via the Intro App download. They were able to go out and find caches, but do not have a valid email address to be contacted.

I met them in person while they were trying to locate a cache that I helped create--a Letterbox Hybrid. They were at the starting coordinates, looking befuddled as the all searched around the area with iPhone in hand...walking in circles. They came inside the visitor center to ask about it, and I happened to be right there again to help out.

They had NO idea what a Letterbox Hybrid was, and why the container was not at the listed coordinates. When I showed them that they needed to read the description for the required info to find the container, they had NO idea that was what they should be doing. They admitted that all they have been doing is looking on the map, and then hitting "navigate to geocache".

Then, when I wanted to follow up with them on other things they might want to know about our local area (upcoming events, welcoming them to the game, etc.) I found their account has not been validated. HOW are we supposed to welcome people to the game or offer help if we can't reach new players?

With the changes to Event Caches made to allow for more "socialization", I would imagine that it would also make sense for Groundspeak to make it a requirement to create your account on the website, Geocaching.com, rather than simply through the app. It would be a simple enough thing to add--have the app link directly to the website to create an account, and then redirect to the "How to" on the website.

This is not the first time I've seen this issue unfold, but it is the first time that I've been present, on site, to see it all first hand. These new users are not learning anything about the game other than to go to the cache site, and log it online. PLEASE, please add this requirement to the apps. Please.

Keep in mind that the Intro App does not show LBHs. Whatever issues were involved here, they were not due to the Intro App. We are in the process of adding additional cache types to the app, though, and that process includes improved education as to how each cache type works. We are also very close to releasing functionality that will improve communication among users of all Geocaching.com platforms.

Keep in mind that the Intro App does not show LBHs. Whatever issues were involved here, they were not due to the Intro App. We are in the process of adding additional cache types to the app, though, and that process includes improved education as to how each cache type works. We are also very close to releasing functionality that will improve communication among users of all Geocaching.com platforms.

Ah, well, perhaps this needs to be moved to the other iPhone thread?

Regardless of the version of the App, it would behoove everyone if the app redirected you to create your account on the website and validate your email address.

Hmmm. Maybe the were using the C: app.

Looks like setting caches to PMO is something to seriously consider.

No - c:geo requires validation, because you're essentially logging into the website to get the caches on that app.

And PMO doesn't help because a lot of these folks will take the PM advertising bait and STILL not know what they're doing.

Hmmm. Maybe the were using the C: app.

Looks like setting caches to PMO is something to seriously consider.

No - c:geo requires validation, because you're essentially logging into the website to get the caches on that app.

And PMO doesn't help because a lot of these folks will take the PM advertising bait and STILL not know what they're doing.

They were using a Groundspeak App--I was there to help and saw what they were working with.

Accounts have to be already created and validated to sign onto c:geo. What needs to happen is for the Apps and partner Apps to redirect to the website (launches phone/tablet web browser) to create and validate an account. Then, once that has happened, the App only accepts logged-in and validated accounts.

Otherwise I'm unable to reach out to new users, and they're unable to get notifications or emails, and they also have 0 interaction with the website to gain any knowledge whatsoever about the game.