Getting MY CURRENT COORDINATES ?

hankt

It makes me SAD that I have to use C:Geo to ask for MY CURRENT COORDINATES so I have them to post a new hide.

If that capability exists in the Geocaching Android Intro App OR the Premium app, it is obscure & not documented well.

Please add a menu option: MY CURRENT COORDINATES

Well the paid iPhone app shows THE current co-ords. Anyway the appisn't made to hide caches (otherwise there would be an option to do so) it's made to find caches. How do you get the co-ords then? We'll as you discovered, there are other apps that do so, or you can use a GPS. Also depending on your phone, the compass app will show the co-ords as well.

And what's WITH the random CAPS on words?

Edited by T.D.M.22

Even with c:geo it's not easy. You can do screen captures of the coords showing on the screen, but that's about it, I think. It doesn't let you save them.

When I hide a cache, I wait for my phone GPS to settle down, and then I take photos of the hiding spot (from close to it). The data on the photos contain the coordinates. I then take them, average or finagle them as needed, and use them when I make a new cache online. I figure that's easier than writing them down. :)

I have to write down the Current Coordinates from c:geo, but it at least gives a menu option to ask what the Coordinates are.

I know the Geocaching apps know the Coordinates. It frustrates me that one of the developers didn't realize that we might want to actually read what our current coordinates are.

Saving would be a nice additional value.

And, of course there are other apps that I could install to site get my coordinates, but the point is, why should I have to? Hiding caches is the foundation of people being able to find them. I'm not even asking for a full fledged POST YOUR NEW HIDE, just give me the information to put in my computer.

It makes me SAD that I have to use C:Geo to ask for MY CURRENT COORDINATES so I have them to post a new hide.

If that capability exists in the Geocaching Android Intro App OR the Premium app, it is obscure & not documented well.

Please add a menu option: MY CURRENT COORDINATES

If you're navigating to a geocache, you can open the compass to see your current location.

You can also drop a waypoint at your current location by tapping the coordinates shown under "Current Location" on the Add New Waypoint/Stage screen

@rocketgarden - Thank you noting that the coordinates can be seen on the compass while looking at another geocache location. That is a work around, but still doesn't mitigate my opinion that there should be a Menu : CURRENT COORDINATES or being able to long-press or tap on the blue circle that shows where you are and have it open a window with the Current Coordinates. Work arounds are not good programming.

@rocketgarden - Thank you noting that the coordinates can be seen on the compass while looking at another geocache location. That is a work around, but still doesn't mitigate my opinion that there should be a Menu : CURRENT COORDINATES or being able to long-press or tap on the blue circle that shows where you are and have it open a window with the Current Coordinates. Work arounds are not good programming.

Actually you're wrong, it is good programming. The app is designed to find caches, and it does a great job at that. If the app was designed to hide caches, then yes it would need to have the current co-ords in a nice easy to find spot.

@T.D.M.22 - I have never said that the app was designed to HIDE caches. I have only said that it was sad that a helpful ability in a similar program was not included in the Geocaching APP. I'm not requesting that the APP be changed to enable all of the detail management of hiding an cache. That is too complex. Just a simple "Here is where you are now!" ... showing information that is already collected and used by the program.

It actually sort of amazes me that no one has just said, "Hmmm! That would be helpful or nice"

The whole conversation is a suggestion for a minor improvement on the APP, which I assume they occasionally improve.

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to say that the geocaching app works great on my android phone so all of the problems others have been having haven't shown up yet. Thanks for letting me know before they happen. I would also recommend to my fellow android users to add the SmartCompass app to their phone as well. The geocaching app compass is .15 seconds off despite the GPS signal (or rather due to it). It makes all the difference in my finds. Thanks for listening.

RwendyR

The geocaching app compass is .15 seconds off

Are you sure about that figure -- .15 seconds?

.15 seconds is not discernible using a (dial) compass. In the Intro-app, each tick on that compass dial equates to 4.5 MINUTES. That would make it neigh-on impossible to interpolate a single second, much less fractions of a second.

Perhaps you mean some reading other than that of the compass dial?