Combine other hobbies with caching ?

jellis

If you have the opportunity, take a beginners class or two and rent a few different boats before buying one (then, look at the used market) to get an idea for what kind of boat will be best for what you want to do. I bought that fiberglass kayak in 1997 and still own it today, but ironically that first recreational boat would have been ideal for a few series of paddle caches that have been placed along some of the local rivers.

Thanks for the tip NYPaddleCacher. You're correct that my list isn't in the best chronological order. I haven't kayaked in about 20 years, and at that time I did take a class and learn how to self-rescue. A refresher course certainly wouldn't hurt.

I do know that I don't want to do whitewater and I'll mainly be kayaking in Puget Sound (hence the ferry/cargo ship traffic) or calm lakes for a few hours at a time. I have access to a 14+ foot kayak, but the weight makes it a bit difficult for me to handle/transport. Might buy a used 10 ft Wilderness Systems Pamlico 100, which seems more manageable at just over 40 pounds and has better reviews than "the Costco kayak". Hoping to keep purchases of 'new' items to a minimum. I'll check out classes in the area and hopefully find a good deal on a kayak after the class.

SUP is much easier for me and I've done that a few times, recently. Methinks that I could access a lot of T5 paddle caches with just a SUP board, and the boards are easier for me to transport/carry to the water.

If you have the opportunity, take a beginners class or two and rent a few different boats before buying one (then, look at the used market) to get an idea for what kind of boat will be best for what you want to do. I bought that fiberglass kayak in 1997 and still own it today, but ironically that first recreational boat would have been ideal for a few series of paddle caches that have been placed along some of the local rivers.

Thanks for the tip NYPaddleCacher. You're correct that my list isn't in the best chronological order. I haven't kayaked in about 20 years, and at that time I did take a class and learn how to self-rescue. A refresher course certainly wouldn't hurt.

I do know that I don't want to do whitewater and I'll mainly be kayaking in Puget Sound (hence the ferry/cargo ship traffic) or calm lakes for a few hours at a time. I have access to a 14+ foot kayak, but the weight makes it a bit difficult for me to handle/transport. Might buy a used 10 ft Wilderness Systems Pamlico 100, which seems more manageable at just over 40 pounds and has better reviews than "the Costco kayak". Hoping to keep purchases of 'new' items to a minimum. I'll check out classes in the area and hopefully find a good deal on a kayak after the class.

SUP is much easier for me and I've done that a few times, recently. Methinks that I could access a lot of T5 paddle caches with just a SUP board, and the boards are easier for me to transport/carry to the water.

I've got a 17' 10" long kayak that weighs just over 40 pounds. It's only 21" wide and made of western red cedar and clear pine. It took about 5 months to build and only a few seconds for a tree to fall on it and break it in half. Depending on how you get a roof rack set up handling a longer boat might not be that bad.

Some of those places that rent kayaks will sell off some of their fleet at the end of the season and you can get decent kayak at a low price. Check out a shop called BodyBoatBlade on Orcas Island. It's run by a couple of people that I've trained with a couple of times. One of them (Shawna) is probably one of the most accomplished woman sea kayakers in the world.

I've heard of a challenge cache in the Puget sound area that requires you to find caches on a bunch of different islands there. You could probably do some of them by kayak.

Running. I believe half of my finds have been on my running shoes, including the first one. I'm a very regular runner and sometimes running can get a bit boring, so what better that heading to some (preferably easy) cache?

Edited by Ibar

For me, I definitely do combine the two if the opportunity allows. Increasingly ski resorts have geocaches (often with super high terrain ratings!) so I've bagged a few of those, and it's always a great bonus!

I also have a little boat here in Amsterdam (old rowboat someone slapped an engine on type thing) and have gotten all the boat caches in the area as well.

For me, I definitely do combine the two if the opportunity allows. Increasingly ski resorts have geocaches (often with super high terrain ratings!) so I've bagged a few of those, and it's always a great bonus!

I started geocaching a couple of years too late or I could have found a couple of caches while skiing at Le Brevant in Chamonix in 2005. That was just across the valley from a cache that was placed in 2002 and wasn't found until last year.

We have combined motorcycling and geocaching lots of times. Our only problem is when stopping for a cache is more of big deal because of gearing down and up(helmet, jacket, gloves) takes a bit longer. We usually don't down as many caches when on the bike as we when in the car or truck. Also we usually have to pick our caches better for parking, as so times the parking for a car just won't work for a big touring motorcycle.

I hope I'm not dredging up a thread that is too old, but I noticed only a couple mentions of photography.

While I'm not a professional, I do a lot of photography, most of it of landscapes. When I say a lot, I mean 10,000-15,000 photos a year. I am always looking for interesting places to photograph. The result is that I love more remote caches with the "scenic view" attribute (or that should have the SV but don't).

Of course, I have found more than a few "scenic view" caches where the only scenery was the dumpster behind the local supermarket. But when I find a gem, I make sure I put some of those scenic view photos in the cache listing. Favorite points often go with the photos.

Austin

I hope I'm not dredging up a thread that is too old, but I noticed only a couple mentions of photography.

I've combined geocaching with aerial photography, using my drone. See, for example

. I have a couple of other geocaching videos you can see if you follow my channel.

My most all-consuming hobby that I've combined with geocaching, though, is writing novels. Three of the four Cliff Knowles Mysteries are geocaching themed. I donate a lot of them to Megas and other events as prizes, including GeoWoodstock, the S*W*A*G Yuma Mega, the Texas Challenge, a British Halloween Mega, Florida Finders Fest, and others. I've also donated them as prizes to a couple of the popular geocaching podcasts. They seem to be well-received.

Edited by The Rat