Since When Were Virginia & W. Virginia in the Northeast?

briansnat

Hehe ... but the other states don't WANT those panhandles! Heck, having grown up in Cumberland, Maryland I can tell you that most of Maryland would just as soon given Western Maryland to WV as they considered us just a slightly milder version of the Appalachian hill-billy. 'Course I attend my family reunions each year in southern WV (near Pipestem) so I know full well that we are much more than slightly more mild! icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by wcgems:

The folks that live in the 2 panhandles aren't REALLY west virginians anyway (most of them are from the surrounding states and work there) ...

I have always thought the state would be better off to sell the panhandles to neighboring states. We would save money and get rid of the people that don't consider themselves WVians anyway (or do but really AREN'T).

BELOW is a reply to an earlier post not to GPS_Brian:

Ah, but see... you just moved there.... and you most likely don't REALLY want to live there, or don't like things about it....

I never said there weren't hillbillies in the panhandles.

I was referring to the "foreigners" aka "out of staters" and their offspring that have been transplanted here.

Got a chip on my shoulder?? DaRnEd tooting I do. You know the old saying.... if you don't like it here ------- LEAVE!!

But to reply to GPS_Brian:

Maybe we should just take all the unwanted parts of these states and make a new one, or another district. That way, the states get rid of em and they can go out on their own and maybe do better.

There you go ... perhaps "virtual statehood" ... instead of defining the state by the geographic boundaries they can be bounded by other means, political views, educational priorities, cache densitity, and then all of the virtual states could compete for our membership and tax dollars.

icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

Maybe we should just take all the unwanted parts of these states and make a new one, or another district. That way, the states get rid of em and they can go out on their own and maybe do better.

quote:

I have always thought the state would be better off to sell the panhandles to neighboring states. We would save money and get rid of the people that don't consider themselves WVians anyway (or do but really AREN'T).

Wheeling is one of the most history-rich cities of WV and Martinsburg is one of the only places in the state that is experiencing growth.

Growth in those areas still doesn't make the snotty attitudes and comments about their dislike for the state any more justified or (in my opionion) acceptable.

BUT ----- I am done with this thread, caching is a sport that is meant for fun, exercise (for me anyway) and maybe some other things depending on who you are and what it means to you. I'm getting back to caching.... enough of the geopolitical junk.

See ya in in the jungle.

quote:
I think General Lee once stated that you are in the south when Waffle House restaurants are near by.

I love waffle house! I live in NJ and you can bet there are none around here. However the first time I have ever eaten in one was in Colorado and the only other time was in NC.

Waffle house is the only resturaunt I have ever eaten in that grits were a main menu item and included with certain meals. Yummy!!

The manager in the Coloroado location did say that they were looking to expand to the Northeast, but I have yet to find one here icon_frown.gif

Kar

quote:
Originally posted by NikiandRob:

Growth in those areas still doesn't make the snotty attitudes and comments about their dislike for the state any more justified or (in my opionion) acceptable.

Way to (falsely) generalize a group of people. A vast majority of the people that move to WV do so because they like it. In fact the more "foreigners" moving in the better. We already have a reputation for keeping to our own a little too much. icon_wink.gif