Two Pi Day Souvenirs?

Mr.Yuck

About 11:30 AM Eastern Time on Thursday February 19th, Josh and Liz of the Peanuts or Pretzels blog posted "breaking Geocaching news" to Twitter that there are going to be two Souvenirs for Pi Day, March 14th, 2015. They link to a slightly longer announcement on their Facebook page right here.

I personally don't care about these souvenirs, but if true, I suppose it verifies that TPTB apparently like to leak news items to Geocaching celebrities such as them, Sonny and Sandy and The Geocaching Vlogger. :ph34r:

Edited by Mr.Yuck
... if true, I suppose it verifies that TPTB apparently like to leak news items to Geocaching celebrities such as them, Sonny and Sandy and The Geocaching Vlogger. :ph34r:

Did TPTB leak news items to them intentionally, or do they just happened to talk to someone who leaked it unintentionally? Is Jeremy going to go all Steve Jobs on the leaker? Stay tuned for the continuing saga of Groundspeak Rumors!

... if true, I suppose it verifies that TPTB apparently like to leak news items to Geocaching celebrities such as them, Sonny and Sandy and The Geocaching Vlogger. :ph34r:

Did TPTB leak news items to them intentionally, or do they just happened to talk to someone who leaked it unintentionally? Is Jeremy going to go all Steve Jobs on the leaker? Stay tuned for the continuing saga of Groundspeak Rumors!

All I know is the first two times (The Geocaching Vlogger last year, and Sonny and Sandy this week on time limits for events) the reports were true. And all three sources are obviously credible. So I'd start writing up your Pi Day events right now. :ph34r:

Remember when souvenirs were a concept associated with a place?

Whatever happened to "The Language of Location"?

CJ agrees.

I agree enough with her we didn't cache on our "most caches" month.

I reminded her we do like the CITO day and (if it doesn't interfere with anything else...) International day. :laughing:

Edited by cerberus1

CJ agrees.

I agree enough with her we didn't cache on our "most caches" month.

I reminded her we do like the CITO day and (if it doesn't interfere with anything else...) International day. :laughing:

I generally associate souvenirs with places as well but I also enjoyed the WWFM day and the souvenir that came with it. In my case, it occurred during a 22 hour layover in Zurich. I took the train at around 2:00PM from a hotel near the airport to the central station, where for 15 minutes I, along with about 400 other cachers pretended to search for geocaches in the train station. Then, we moved off to a meeting point outside the station where after 30 minutes or of chatting with other cachers things were finally organized for a group photo. Then I went off an found a few caches on my own, including an earth cache where I met another group of caches before going to a restaurant, sitting down for a beer and waited to meet a couple of local cachers that had agreed to meet me. After having a beer at the restaurant we went off and found a couple more caches before they accompanied me to a restaurant where another event took place. I think I got back to my hotel around midnight. It remains as one of the most memorable days of geocaching related activities that I've ever done and I'm glad to have the WWFM souvenir as a token of remembrance.

When was that? I don't remember a time at all when souvenirs were only associated with places.

In fact, I understood that originally the souvenirs were intended to be like Achievements or Badges in video games: Complete an achievement and you get a souvenir. I was very surprised when it turned out that they were mostly going to be for visiting certain geographical areas. Not much of an achievement if you ask me.

When was that? I don't remember a time at all when souvenirs were only associated with places.
Some of my real-world souvenirs are mostly about places (e.g., pressed pennies). Some are mostly about people (e.g., items inherited from grandparents). Some are mostly about dates (e.g., Y2K memorabilia). Some are a combination of places, people, and dates (e.g., our wedding album). And so on...

I don't see a reason to interpret online geocaching souvenirs narrowly.

Well, I couldn't care less about souvenirs, and the fact I hid the 8 or so "31 days of August" ones that I've earned should attest to that. :)So far every single person who has posted to this thread joined before 2010. The first date based one in my awesome collection appears to be 10/10/10. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say souvenirs were started in 2010, so they pretty much rolled with date based right from the start. I thought there was a 10 years! souvenir, but apparently not. They probably started the whole souvenir thing a little after that in the summer of 2010. No quoting me on this stuff though. :o

The first date based one in my awesome collection appears to be 10/10/10. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say souvenirs were started in 2010, so they pretty much rolled with date based right from the start. I thought there was a 10 years! souvenir, but apparently not.
The 10/10/10 souvenir was a bit overloaded, celebrating the numbering of the date, the 10th year of geocaching, the 10th year of Groundspeak's existence, and a (successful) new record attempt for the most people logging geocaching activities one one day. But perhaps you're thinking about the 10 Years! Event Caches, which are a (now grandfathered) geocache type, not a souvenir. Of course, attending such an event would also qualify you for the 10/10/10 souvenir, so...

They probably started the whole souvenir thing a little after that in the summer of 2010. No quoting me on this stuff though. :o
It looks like they backdated the state-based souvenirs, so I can't use those to nail down the date. But based on the release notes, it seems that souvenirs were added with the Oct 5th 2010 site update.
The first date based one in my awesome collection appears to be 10/10/10. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say souvenirs were started in 2010, so they pretty much rolled with date based right from the start. I thought there was a 10 years! souvenir, but apparently not.
The 10/10/10 souvenir was a bit overloaded, celebrating the numbering of the date, the 10th year of geocaching, the 10th year of Groundspeak's existence, and a (successful) new record attempt for the most people logging geocaching activities one one day. But perhaps you're thinking about the 10 Years! Event Caches, which are a (now grandfathered) geocache type, not a souvenir. Of course, attending such an event would also qualify you for the 10/10/10 souvenir, so...

They probably started the whole souvenir thing a little after that in the summer of 2010. No quoting me on this stuff though. :o
It looks like they backdated the state-based souvenirs, so I can't use those to nail down the date. But based on the release notes, it seems that souvenirs were added with the Oct 5th 2010 site update.

The 10/10/10 souvenir was the first souvenir that was released and, if I recall, anyone that logged a found/attended/took photo on a cache that day got one and a few U.S. State souvenirs were released shortly after. In the first week or so, a souvenir could be acquired by searching for a cache using the mobile app (even if you didn't actually find it) but that loophole was quickly closed. The "acquired on date" for souvenirs was the date you qualified for the souvenir. The New York souvenir in my profile shows an acquired on date of 1/5/2007, the date I found my first cache.

I also hide all the Geocaching in August souvenirs. When those came out there were a *lot* of people that asked to be able to delete them and GS gave us the ability to hide them. The only souvenirs that I really care for are the Country/State souvenirs though I've kept a couple of other date based souvenirs. During both of those souvenirs in the month of August I found caches in States in which I never had previously found a cache. I wanted the State souvenirs, but didn't want a souvenir just for finding a cache on some day in August. I've suggested this before, but I'd rather see a system where one could "claim" a souvenir after you've qualified for it. In the "real world" If I visit some place where souvenirs are sold I choose whether or not I want to buy one. I've collected a few of those three letter bumper stickers (and put them on a luggage carrier that mounts on a roof rack) for places like OBX (outer banks). That doesn't mean I want someone slapping a 8/13/2015 sticker on my car just because I drove it that day.

Saw this info from a geocahing store this morning concerning two souvenirs for Pi Day. Sounds like one for attending an event that day and the other for logging a Mystery cache find.:

We're excited to celebrate this year's Pi Day with two new souvenirs from Groundspeak! The first souvenir is inspired by the groups of people creating Pi Day Event Caches. Just attend an event, including CITO or a Mega-Event on Pi Day and you'll earn this souvenir.

The second souvenir celebrates the mystery of Pi. To earn it, log a "Found It" on a Mystery Cache on March 14.

Why haven't we seen any announcement from GS, either here or in their newsletter?

Because, as I said in the OP, they like to leak news to Geocaching celebrities. :ph34r:

Here's unofficial verification from Groundspeak. I just saw an ad for a Pi Day Geocoin on the website, and it says in its description that there is a souvenir for Pi Day.

So there will be an announcement. Any minute now or so..... :P

Why haven't we seen any announcement from GS, either here or in their newsletter?

Because, as I said in the OP, they like to leak news to Geocaching celebrities.

Hey. I'm a celebrity and they neglected to give me a heads up. (Maybe because they know I would just hide those souvenirs if I did get them...)

Oh yeah? Do you have three caches named after you in three different States or Provinces? I didn't think so. :P When Groundspeak is ready to unleash the Tera Event type, I want the scoop a few days out. And yes, I will post it in German. :ph34r:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Because, as I said in the OP, they like to leak news to Geocaching celebrities. :ph34r:

Here's unofficial verification from Groundspeak. I just saw an ad for a Pi Day Geocoin on the website, and it says in its description that there is a souvenir for Pi Day.

So there will be an announcement. Any minute now or so..... :P

Nice looking coin! Any idea what the circumference is?

I am glad that I am not obsessed about souvenirs. Our daughter is getting married that day and I think my family would have problems if I told them I needed to get a caching souvenir. But the coin looked interesting given the significance of the day. Too bad it's not in stock.

Edited by geodarts

I am glad that I am not obsessed about souvenirs. Our daughter is getting married that day and I think my family would have problems if I told them I needed to get a caching souvenir. But the coin looked interesting given the significance of the day. Too bad it's not in stock.

Wow, that was fast :blink: Glad I didn't wait too long. I got my order in at 9:30 a.m. PST. Don't blame me - I only ordered one :)

They'll probably order more later. I got an email from Cache Advance about the coin available in Pumpkin and Radioactive today, and I just checked - both are on backorder.

Congratulations to you and your daughter!

Hey. I'm a celebrity and they neglected to give me a heads up. (Maybe because they know I would just hide those souvenirs if I did get them...)

Oh yeah? Do you have three caches named after you in three different States or Provinces? I didn't think so. :P When Groundspeak is ready to unleash the Tera Event type, I want the scoop a few days out. And yes, I will post it in German. :ph34r:

I guess you got me there. I know of 5 in Ohio but I can't figure out how to search the rest of the world. <_<

I guess you got me there. I know of 5 in Ohio but I can't figure out how to search the rest of the world. <_<

Five? That's pretty good. I just knew about the ones I linked to, and I asked to have a Canadian Power Trail cache named after me. :P Actually, I'm quite confident you could do it with the beta premium members only search.

Breaking Geocaching News!! #Geocaching is giving away 2 NEW souvenirs for #PiDay2015. Attend an Event on 3.14.15 for one souvenir and discover a Mystery Cache for the other souvenir on the same day.

Two completely different souvenirs?

http://www.geocaching.com/blog/

Geek Out with Two New Souvenirs for Pi Day

While some folks celebrate Pi Day on March 14 (3.14) with a slice of pi pie, we’re celebrating this year’s Pi Day with two new souvenirs. The first souvenir is inspired by the groups of people who have an irrational love for irrational numbers. Just attend an event, including CITO or a Mega-Event on Pi Day and you’ll earn this souvenir. The second souvenir celebrates the mystery of pi—to earn it, log a “Found It” on a Mystery Cache on March 14.

Speaking of Mystery Caches—they’re now available for Geocaching Premium members in the free official Geocaching app for iPhone and Android.

Finally, if you’re on the lookout for even MORE souvenirs, be sure to earn the CITO souvenir on April 25 and 26, and be on the lookout for a special souvenirs you can earn to celebrate 15 Years of Geocaching beginning on May 2.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol