Finding out the logging requirements before coming back home

GeoLog81

I was trying (not the first time) to make some Waymarking, but once again, after returning home, I've found out some 'extra requirements' that were not in listing and that made it unable for me to log.

Is it possible to 'foresee' such requirements on the basis of other factors, such as the category of the waymark? For example, there are categories where 'extra tricky question' is not allowed, but the photo is required?

Knowing that, I could prepare better. Because now the only way to find the requirements for the waymark is to click 'visit' in browser, and it's not feasible when my trip plan is not so fixed that I can click and make notice for everything that I may visit that day...

No, I'd like to visit the existing waymarks, but I'm discouraged when I come home to learn I need some unexpected information as password for log...

I'm not sure, if there are rules for the categories, what can a waymark owner require? I'm quite new to the play, and it's much less intuitive than the geocaching site.

If logging a Visit to a Waymark most* only require a photograph and a brief description of your visit. (Having the GPS/you in the photo is no longer 'required' by most Waymark owners, even though it may still be in the Log a Visit description.

*Most. Some of the earlier Waymarks may require a 'Password' I think these are the early Waymarks that were seen as a 'Replacement' for the old Virtual caches.

(Virtual caches often require you to sent some information to the cache owner, to prove you were there)

I would be interested to know which categories you are trying to log a Visit, and wonder if the 'password' is something that is unique (-ish) to your area?

Well, I see some additional question, for example 'how high this object was', 'what are the opening hours', and the field is mandatory - it shines red. I think by one of my first ones, it hasn't accepted 'wrong' information but I'm not sure anymore... I'll try to find the link if possible...

Is it technically possible to "protect" the waymark with such password, which must be matched exactly?

Are ALRs by waymarks generally a free choice of the owner (for example, is brief description needed, is photo needed), or they are 'required' by the category?

I have problems finding any description for the category when I click on it, I see only very generic info and the category admins.

The logging requirements are in general set by the category, seldom are they set by individual waymarkers. Most categories don't allow ALRs.

The additional questions you may be seeing when you log a waymark are optional variables that were not completed when the waymark was submitted; it is the site asking the question to further complete the waymark. You are not required to answer the questions. And No it is not technically possible to protect waymark with question that must be matched exactly to log.

To see the category description, you need to be on the category page and not the group page (the admins' names are shown only on group page and not category page). On the category page if only a short description is showing click link "[show additional information]"

Edited by BruceS

Think BruceS may have the answer!

The additional questions you may be seeing when you log a waymark are optional variables that were not completed when the waymark was submitted; it is the site asking the question to further complete the waymark. You are not required to answer the questions. And No it is not technically possible to protect waymark with question that must be matched exactly to log.

This waymark is presently missing some important information. During your visit to this waymark, were you able to determine the answers to any of the following variables?

Just 'the site' asking if you can fill in missing information.

If you can, fill it in. If not don't. :)

Opening hours and charges can change over time, nice that those visiting can have an option to correct things, if they know.