Last ever Block Party

AmayaTom

Has anybody heard any rumblings about what will replace this? The only thing I have heard in passing is that they will be spread out around the world - lots of satellite "block parties" as it were (I guess in mid-August) - giving more cachers a chance to get involved. Has anybody heard anything more concrete?

Has anybody heard any rumblings about what will replace this? The only thing I have heard in passing is that they will be spread out around the world - lots of satellite "block parties" as it were (I guess in mid-August) - giving more cachers a chance to get involved. Has anybody heard anything more concrete?

I want to go on record to say that I did not start the rumor that block parties will be spread out all around the world. rolleyes.gif

Maybe there will be some kind of event put on each year that moves around the US. Groundspeak could send some folks from the Lilypad to represent, and help throw some support and weight behind it. We could call it something like GPS-stock...no, no... Ummm...Cachestock? No, that doesn't sound right. Anyone have an idea for a name? :anicute:

I was planning to visit Seattle (from Australia) for the 2016 Block Party. Now there are no more Block Parties after this year, I hope they put on something just as big to make my visit for International Geocaching Day really exciting. Hmmmm.... I wonder what will happen to the Geocaching International Film Festival???

That matched what I've been told by a Groundspeak founder, with specifics still undecided (so there is no more to know, yet). Also sounds like the global parties may remain on 3rd weekend of August, dubbed International Geocaching Day/Weekend.

The demise of the Block Party will also impact our (WSGA's) Going APE mega-event, since the two events made up the destination weekend here in the Pacific Northwest. So, this could be the last year of the APE event in its current incarnation, as well. (Although no decisions have been made yet.)

In short, it's 2015 or never if you want to attend the current Block Party (and get the icon) and the Going APE mega as they now exist.

Edited by hydnsek

That matched what I've been told by a Groundspeak founder, with specifics still undecided (so there is no more to know, yet). Also sounds like the global parties may remain on 3rd weekend of August, dubbed International Geocaching Day/Weekend.

The demise of the Block Party will also impact our (WSGA's) Going APE mega-event, since the two events made up the destination weekend here in the Pacific Northwest. So, this could be the last year of the APE event in its current incarnation, as well. (Although no decisions have been made yet.)

In short, it's 2015 or never if you want to attend the current Block Party (and get the icon) and the Going APE mega as they now exist.

If the rumblings are true that there will be more International flavour (flavor if you're in the US :blink:) to whatever comes next, I think it is quite a bold move by Groundspeak and one that has to be applauded as it will allow much larger chunks of the international community to be involved and that has to be a good thing (even though the Block Party and the Going Ape were impressive events). I await more news with interest!

Edited by AmayaTom

How so? If there are going to be global block parties on the 3rd weekend of August, rather than just a single block party, that doesn't mean you can't still have a block part that weekend in the PNW. The previous poster that indicated that they wanted to go to the block party in 2016 would have a choice for which global party they attended and would probably choose the one in the PNW and join you at a going ape megaevent.

How so? If there are going to be global block parties on the 3rd weekend of August, rather than just a single block party, that doesn't mean you can't still have a block part that weekend in the PNW. The previous poster that indicated that they wanted to go to the block party in 2016 would have a choice for which global party they attended and would probably choose the one in the PNW and join you at a going ape megaevent.

Um, because GS says they won't be having the Block Party anymore. They gave us a heads-up months ago since they knew it would impact the APE event. Whatever they do in the future, it will be smaller and more global.

And you were the first person I thought of when I was told, cos I've seen your numerous comments over the years about GS having just the one event at their headquarters. So hoping you'll be pleased and that there'll be an activity (whatever it is) near you in future!

Edited by hydnsek

If the rumblings are true that there will be more International flavour (flavor if you're in the US :blink:) to whatever comes next, I think it is quite a bold move by Groundspeak and one that has to be applauded as it will allow much larger chunks of the international community to be involved and that has to be a good thing (even though the Block Party and the Going Ape were impressive events). I await more news with interest!

This has a lot of potential. This probably sounds kind of geeky but a couple of years ago a fairly commonly used piece of software that I've used had a major release update. Since it's open source software with developers all over the place they put something up on a web site asking people to hold "release parties" on a specific day and provided a way to register your event. There were links to pages for events all over the world, pins on a map where they were located and when the release day occurred there were events being held in over 100 countries. There were lots of photos and videos shared, some of the events had live streaming and it was kinda of cool to seen the international community come together to celebrate the release at the same time.

:unsure: Maybe just maybe it is time to share the event with the world. It is International and time to move it around the world so as everyone has a FAIR share. I think it is a great concept.

:huh::laughing::unsure: As for the APE Event it can still be a Special Moment in time, if all the pieces fall in place at the correct moment.

Be Patience, watch and see how the pieces fall in place. There is some things in the background that will come forward and you will not be disappointed. Really!! Watch & See, I know nothing.

See I told I would not spill the ........ :ph34r:

A better mistake tomorrow? :laughing:

A new icon that is not exclusive to Seattle? I recall a few people were upset that they couldn't travel there for the icon. Making a new icon that appears everywhere to pacify them is a little silly.

Will it be everywhere, or more like the Adventure Maze exhibit?

This is only speculation but what I envisioned was something like an international geocaching block party weekend. Sort of like a mega international geocaching day, but instead of a small events created for the purpose of providing a quick and simple way for a few people to acquire a souvenir, there might be a bunch of mega-events occurring simultaneously all around the world. With the use of various social media platforms there could be real time interaction between geocachers in many different places. Something that I have proposed in the past was the ability to set up a temporary webcam cache at mega events. Suppose there were live streams of webcams from all over the world that went to a single site where one could watch the activities going on at different block parties. The idea is to *really* bring the international geocaching community together rather than just those that can travel to one specific location.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

:unsure: Maybe just maybe it is time to share the event with the world. It is International and time to move it around the world so as everyone has a FAIR share. I think it is a great concept.

:huh::laughing::unsure: As for the APE Event it can still be a Special Moment in time, if all the pieces fall in place at the correct moment.

Be Patience, watch and see how the pieces fall in place. There is some things in the background that will come forward and you will not be disappointed. Really!! Watch & See, I know nothing.

Would a new theoretical idea in the future involve the current Block Party icon, some other new icon, or one of the existing event icons?

• Upvote 1

A better mistake tomorrow? :laughing:

A new icon that is not exclusive to Seattle? I recall a few people were upset that they couldn't travel there for the icon. Making a new icon that appears everywhere to pacify them is a little silly.

This is only speculation but what I envisioned was something like an international geocaching block party weekend. Sort of like a mega international geocaching day, but instead of a small events created for the purpose of providing a quick and simple way for a few people to acquire a souvenir, there might be a bunch of mega-events occurring simultaneously all around the world. With the use of various social media platforms there could be real time interaction between geocachers in many different places. Something that I have proposed in the past was the ability to set up a temporary webcam cache at mega events. Suppose there were live streams of webcams from all over the world that went to a single site where one could watch the activities going on at different block parties. The idea is to *really* bring the international geocaching community together rather than just those that can travel to one specific location.

That sounds like a good idea, although the satellite events could certainly run alongside of the block party but with a slightly different icon.

Would a new theoretical idea in the future involve the current Block Party icon, some other new icon, or one of the existing event icons?

Only Groundspeak can answer that. I've been told that it won't be the Block Party icon, since the Block Party will no longer be the motif. My guess is it will be a new icon for the new series of events (whatever they are), but that's just speculation.

Didn't before the Block parties they had a Lost and Found event? Seattle area has lots of events. I am almost sure they will come up with something new. Maybe a Giga event?

They are planning to downsize the local event, not super-size it. :P

GS felt the massive time and resources spent on the Block Party were detracting from their primary business; and second, they want to transition International Geocaching Weekend to multiple events around the world, so that more folks can participate (something many cachers outside our sphere have wished for). There will still be something going on, it just won't be a huge, elaborate affair like the Block Party.

Didn't before the Block parties they had a Lost and Found event? Seattle area has lots of events. I am almost sure they will come up with something new. Maybe a Giga event?

They are planning to downsize the local event, not super-size it. :P

GS felt the massive time and resources spent on the Block Party were detracting from their primary business; and second, they want to transition International Geocaching Weekend to multiple events around the world, so that more folks can participate (something many cachers outside our sphere have wished for). There will still be something going on, it just won't be a huge, elaborate affair like the Block Party.

I thought their primary business was geocaching so wouldn't it make sense to at least host an event? It not like it was unsuccessful.

Like it or not HQ is in Seattle so what the block party is/was could not work anywhere else and no matter what international events they come up with it wont be a replacement.

I think a bit more is being read into the announcement than should be right now. We wanted to announce six months early to give people enough time to plan to attend since this is the last Block Party. We knew that if we announced close to or after Block Party there would be a lot of upset people who didn’t have the chance to attend this year.

I'm seeing a lot of speculation that the announcement means we want to <fill in the blank with one of the many things that have been speculated>.

The truth is we know we want to change things up and have the opportunity to focus on other ideas and projects. Block Party was not intended to be a “forever” event. It started in 2010 as the Lost & Found event and we realized that we liked the idea and wanted it to continue. Since this is our 15th anniversary, it was a good opportunity to end the event on a high note. What exactly comes next (e.g. fill in the blank with one of the speculations) hasn't been decided and may not be for some time.

All we know for certain at this moment is this is the last Block Party, it will be awesome, and it will be the last chance to earn the Block Party souvenir.

I do know this was a difficult decision, especially for the folks who have been involved in planning Block Party since the beginning. It's going to be my first one and I'm really looking forward to enjoying the event and meeting fellow cachers from around the world.

I think a bit more is being read into the announcement than should be right now. We wanted to announce six months early to give people enough time to plan to attend since this is the last Block Party. We knew that if we announced close to or after Block Party there would be a lot of upset people who didn’t have the chance to attend this year.

I'm seeing a lot of speculation that the announcement means we want to <fill in the blank with one of the many things that have been speculated>.

The truth is we know we want to change things up and have the opportunity to focus on other ideas and projects. Block Party was not intended to be a “forever” event. It started in 2010 as the Lost & Found event and we realized that we liked the idea and wanted it to continue. Since this is our 15th anniversary, it was a good opportunity to end the event on a high note. What exactly comes next (e.g. fill in the blank with one of the speculations) hasn't been decided and may not be for some time.

All we know for certain at this moment is this is the last Block Party, it will be awesome, and it will be the last chance to earn the Block Party souvenir.

I do know this was a difficult decision, especially for the folks who have been involved in planning Block Party since the beginning. It's going to be my first one and I'm really looking forward to enjoying the event and meeting fellow cachers from around the world.

I see an event at HQ as unique that can not be replicated anywhere else in the world, not sure what he replacement will be but could not have it been an addition instead?

I can't help to be remind of the saying about change for the sake of change....

I guess time will tell.

Isn't that now gone too????

No, it's just left the US, but lives on elsewhere - for example:

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC57V0R_gps-maze-europe-germany

I'd love to make it to that. I'd also like to have been able to get to a Block Party when I was living in the OR/WA area. Perhaps we can get a big enough group to come enjoy Alaska to make for a block party Event Cache some day?

What will happen now instead of the traditional Block Party ?

My impression is that they're hoping others will hosts geocaching block parties all over the world. There will probably be a geocaching block party day (perhaps in August) and a souvenir for attending one to go along with it.

I kinda like the idea of simultaneous block parties going on all over the world, especially if they become somewhat elaborate, promote the idea of a global geocaching community, and feature the simultaneous aspect. For example, organizers could set up webcam a so others can see what's going on at different block parties around the world.