Groundspeaks lays down some event time rules...

ArtieD

Well, yes. If you assume that the entirety of the event cache will occur at the posted coordinates, then yes, the event cache has to occur at the posted coordinates for the duration specified in the listing.

But that's issue. Why must the event cache be stationary? Why can't it start at the posted coordinates at a stated start time, then move along a specified route, eventually returning to the posted coordinates at a stated end time?

Because of how events are currently defined.

I was trying to answer the question (or more accurately give my opinion on) the responsibility of the cache owner within the current definition.

I don't see anything wrong with the concept of an event which moves along a route, but that isn't how they are defined by Groundspeak.

Another thing that I want to point out to understand regional issues better - here in the US, almost all public buildings have outlawed smoking inside. I noticed that a lot of your problems with indoor events is due to smoking. I agree, I have a mild allergic reaction to smoke, so I've been very happy since the new laws have been put in place.

Perhaps you should move to the NW of the US. Lots of nice hiking, and no indoor smoking. ;)

Those laws are hardly new, though you'll occasionally find some public indoor spaces in the south where smoking is still allowed. In the state of NY smoking isn't allowed in any public indoor space and is typically not allowed with 25' of the entrance of a public space or in public (outdoor) parks.

All what it boils down is that Groundspeak makes it impossible to come up with great event caches which are long enough to provide ample of opportunity for socializing but are not sedentary. The fact that you go for a walk after the end of your Pi event cache, does not change the effect that your event cache is a boring 30 minutes period spent at a bakery which is of the minimum required length to make it publishable. In my opinion it is a shame that you have to write up your event cache like this. Of course it makes no sense to first sit 4 hours at the bakery and do away with the other activity as it completely changes the experience to be expected.

I am still not sure what your issue is.

You state you don't care who logs your event cache - whether they would just show up at the trailhead/parking, or join you for the five hour hike.

So, list the event for the set up at the trail head, and then walk your five miles. Those that want to join you will. Those that don't, won't. Period.

You want to get together with a bunch of people for a hike. Great. I do to. If the hike with some great people socializing along the way is the goal, list it on your local caching Facebook group (or other regional forum) - then you can do whatever you want. You just won't get a smiley (which I gather you're not overly concerned with).

All what it boils down is that Groundspeak makes it impossible to come up with great event caches which are long enough to provide ample of opportunity for socializing but are not sedentary. The fact that you go for a walk after the end of your Pi event cache, does not change the effect that your event cache is a boring 30 minutes period spent at a bakery which is of the minimum required length to make it publishable. In my opinion it is a shame that you have to write up your event cache like this. Of course it makes no sense to first sit 4 hours at the bakery and do away with the other activity as it completely changes the experience to be expected.

I am still not sure what your issue is.

You state you don't care who logs your event cache - whether they would just show up at the trailhead/parking, or join you for the five hour hike.

So, list the event for the set up at the trail head, and then walk your five miles. Those that want to join you will. Those that don't, won't. Period.

You want to get together with a bunch of people for a hike. Great. I do to. If the hike with some great people socializing along the way is the goal, list it on your local caching Facebook group (or other regional forum) - then you can do whatever you want. You just won't get a smiley (which I gather you're not overly concerned with).

OK, I think I've figured out a solution....

855d4854-e2ca-475a-a362-d0b39a4be660.jpg

You DO realize how short 30 minutes is, right? :unsure:

Obviously you have never had to cuddle with your wife.

Let's not make this personal, eh Roman? That kind of humor is, with me, off limits. <_<

Nothing personal, The you was not you but a general you implying I've had to cuddle with my wife for 30 minutes and it was a long, long time.

Which would mean the following would not be in the spirit of the guidelines (and yes may get you in trouble with future events):

1. Posting an event time from 7 until 730, but you leave at 7:05 and take everyone there with you. (If you leave at 7:05 but delegate someone else to stay, that's OK).

Well, yes. If you assume that the entirety of the event cache will occur at the posted coordinates, then yes, the event cache has to occur at the posted coordinates for the duration specified in the listing.

But that's issue. Why must the event cache be stationary? Why can't it start at the posted coordinates at a stated start time, then move along a specified route, eventually returning to the posted coordinates at a stated end time?

Wouldn't an easy work around be to post the starting time of the event as 6:35 and let people know you will be heading off to do whatever at 7:05?

I'd be amazed if you could actually get everyone organized to depart 5 minutes after the posted start time.

Once again.

An event takes place at one location, one waypoint, and must have a period of time during which a person can become an Attendee.

That's it.

You say "once again" as if you're repeating yourself, but the last time you said the host or his delegate had to be at GZ during that time, but you left out that requirement here, and, from my point of view, that changes what you're saying completely.

Then maybe I wasn't clear about the point I was making. Yes, once again - it doesn't change what I said before, only what was inferred. I've included the point in other comments that someone needs to be at the event location (owner or delegate), for the time duration in order for there to be confirmation that the event as been 'attended'.

---

> We now have on the table an absolutely crystal clear example of an event that was approved even though it's primary purpose was rafting instead of "socializing". We also know that was clear to all, including the reviewers and lackeys that attended the event. Now explain to me why cezanne's hiking event won't be approved.

eh? The rafting was not the listed Geocaching.com Event. The Event listing was the period of time before the rafting. It falls in line with the rules of an event. Groundspeak can't control what actually happens at an event, only what is listed and implied. So, if the event period is used for socializing or preparing (which many DO consider socializing), then great. Even if the entire group goes rafting after the Event listing 'ends'. As long as someone was at the posted coordinates, and as long as anyone that came at any point in that period at least (even if they didn't go rafting) can still log it found, then it's good to go.

Switch rafting with hiking, and cezanne's event would be approved.

But I doubt he'd do that, because he wouldn't want a 'sedentary' half hour at the posted coordinates before going for the hike. Presumably.

But yet they publish event caches where eating pizza (or replace for anything else) is part of the official event and this is clearly mentioned and often even makes up the name of the event. They also publish event caches where hiking or the raft is evident to be what the event is about even though it is not part of the official event.

Yes. What's your point?

The event took place between a start and end time at a single specific location and contained socializing with other geocachers. What happens before or after is irrelevant.

---

> I do not see what one, single location and for a period of time has to do with being about geocaching and not being geocaching.

Ok, but that's not what Groundspeak is defining the Event Listing at Geocaching.com to be. You either find geocaches (which requires moving) or you do something in one place that's related to geocaching. So, you're still effectively arguing for the sake of arguing. You can still do all the things you want to do. Just find a way to have list that activity in a valid way, in line with their rules, if you want the event listed on geocaching.com. And numerous examples of how have been provided throughout this thread. If you want people to gain that smiley more than simply enjoying your event.

---

> Eating pizza and talking about the best torch for a night cache or the best topping for a cake is more about geocaching than talking about the same topics while hiking?

It's not about how you're socializing, cezanne! It's one event which is about geocaching occurring in one location during one specific period of time.

How do I define 'about geocaching'? C'mon, doing anything that's remotely related to geocaching that isn't specifically in order to find geocaches. That's been explicitly defined long ago. It's easy to understand. Yes, even socializing with other geocachers without talking about geocaching at all is still geocaching-related and generally allowable. Take it up with your reviewer if you think that an event that was published is not actually "about geocaching", or if one you want to see published but is denied actually is "about geocaching". That's for your reviewer to judge.

---

> This does not mean that the questions raised here cannot be asked and that Groundspeak could not explain the background behind their event notion deliberately.

They have. Repeatedly. I understood that. Others understood that. You don't seem to want to accept that as a reasonable explanation.

Doesn't matter if the decision was to combat and reduce abuse, or if they merely wanted to refine and hone in on what they want to define an official Geocaching.com Event Listing to be. They explained why the rules are now in place. Some don't like it because it means certain types of event listings aren't allowable in the same format as they once were - demanding more reasons beyond that is pointless. The rules exist, and they exist for reasons which they've provided, like it or hate it. Feel free to hate it, but try to be productive in your input instead of just complaining, or you bring everyone down (and make more threads like this :ph34r:)

---

> I and others can however state that we do not regard the rules to be logical and no explanation about workarounds and that one does not need to use gc.com (all very trivial facts) will change that.

But ignoring and repeatedly complaining will make them not want to listen if they feel they've given you sufficient response. And as we all know and has been repeatedly mentioned, many staff do not visit the forums any longer for precisely this reason.

---

> Wait, NeverSummer does not know whether the event cache would be published if the end of the hike is given as time of the end of the event cache.

*sigh*

If no one is at the posted coordinates at any point from the start time to the end time, whether it includes the hike or not, then it wouldn't be publishable. Has that not been a clear point?

If you listed the Event at the end of the day for a half hour 'cool down' after the hike, yet you still provided a start time to meet before going on the hike, but also stated that one does not require going on the hike in order to "Attend" the listed event (since outlined as after the hike), then it would be publishable. Or, I would say, appealable, if you perhaps got a reviewer on a bad day who denied it.

Once again.

The requirement is that for a period of at least a half hour, someone is available at the posted coordinates, which allows that anyone who arrives during that time can post a legitimate Attended log. It's not difficult to comprehend.

---

> In my opinion it is a shame that you have to write up your event cache like this.

Again, cezanne, the type of event cache you want published is not apparently what Groundspeak wants Event listings on Geocaching.com to be. No, you cannot publish an event that includes a start time and a hike away from the posted coordinates with no one remaining there, even if waypoints and times are added elsewhere. That's not what they want Event listings to be. Even if you could before, you can't now.

So you'd be best to make an official suggestion for a new type of event listing. Come up with ideas. I brainstormed the concept for a Multi-Event listing, like Multi-caches are to Traditional caches.

Be more productive and positive instead of a constant complainer.

---

> While some write geocaching events should be about geocaching, I rather say that the guidelines seem to suggest that events are about logging attended logs.

They are both.

Because they are events, and because they are listings on geocaching.com which allow for online Attended logs.

So yes, both are paramount to this issue.

I'm still not convinced half-an-hour is any more conducive to socialization that five minutes

Really? For one, 30 minutes is the minimum - if an event host wants socialization, they can provide an event of any length (at least 30 minutes) to accomplish their own definition of socialization. Yeeshk, if the event listing was valid to the guidelines and the host just said they'd sit on chairs for a half hour, if that organizer could convince the reviewer that it's worth publishing, it would get published! Because it's not against the rules. "About geocaching" would be a reviewer judgement, because it's subjective and highly contextual to the event being planned. On the surface, the reviewer might not publish that chair-sitting event. But a CO wanting it published would likely consider responding and defending the event, perhaps taking it to appeals. Remember - no precedent. If you can defend your desire and decision and convince TPTB, then you're good to go.

* Meet the minimum requirements, be convincibly relevant, and you've got it.

---

> But causes some anxiety for people who don't want to spend this time away from the main activity of their event.

If it's organizers, hosts, or delegates, you know what, that's a responsibility. They aren't attendees like everyone else - they are hosting the event. So yeah, since it means you're doing it for other people, then you'll need to accept the responsibility (or delegate or rotate the responsibility) to ensure that someone is available at the posted coordinates for visitors to know they've attended the event. If someone doesn't want to be there, then they shouldn't either A] host the event or B] accept the delegation. Or, they could C] find a way to list the event to reviewer approval with a sufficient compromise -- that's always an option, even if most of the time it won't be doable.

Why must the event cache be stationary? Why can't it start at the posted coordinates at a stated start time, then move along a specified route, eventually returning to the posted coordinates at a stated end time?

That was addressed with the issue of people creating events to find geocaches, which Groundspeak (for their reasons) don't want standard Events to be about.

Also, they've addressed 'moving events' in that sense, as mentioned a while back, with the beta testing of group caching events. They don't listen? Oh yes, yes they do. They just don't always make decisions that everyone (or the most vocal) like. Or they take a very very long time :P

Wouldn't an easy work around be to post the starting time of the event as 6:35 and let people know you will be heading off to do whatever at 7:05?

I'd be amazed if you could actually get everyone organized to depart 5 minutes after the posted start time.

Sure.

I was trying to address the question: Under the current guidelines, is the owner required to attend (or delegate to someone else to attend) for the published duration of the event?

My view: This is implied by the guidelines but not listed as a specific requirement.

It doesn't mean the cache owner gets banned if they can't get there because they get in a car accident on the way, and they aren't well enough to tell anyone. It means however that as far as possible if the event is listed from time X to time Y, that the owner (or delegate) should be there.

I'm not sure why this is an argument that the event as listed on geocaching.com must last 30 minutes.

If you are getting a group together to go on a hike, you would probably list a time when you should be at the trailhead. You might say "We'll leave from the trailhead promptly at 7:05 AM so be on time. People will likely show up early. Some may even arrive more than 1/2 hour before the start time. As you got closer to 7:05 more people would show up. Perhaps at 7:00 the group leader will say a few words about the hike or take a head count. Maybe a 7:05 some car will come driving up the street. The group will wait a few minutes while the late comer parks their car and joins the group. At 7:09 they start the hike.

Now let's say the organizer would like to post this as an event on Geocaching.com and invite the geocaching community to go on the hike. Way back in the day they would post this as an event. Overtime TPTB have decided to narrow the defintion of what an event could be. At firs they said, "If the primary purpose of the hike is to go find caches, this is better done using social media than as an event listed on GC.com" Of course, if the event was a picnic, you could have activities where people find temporary caches at the picnic or go out and look for permanent caches which the reviewers would publish on the day of the event. But the primary purpose of the event was the picnic. A hike seems suspicious. Is the hike the primary purpose or finding caches?

No problem, just have a "event" prior or following the hike. Back in the day, we'd meet for breakfast at McDonald's and call that the event. When the idea of a flash mob event came along, it became even simpler. Set five minutes right before leaving on the hike as the "event" and it could be list on GC.com,

With the new rule you have to put aside half-an-hour befor the hike. Most hikers are not going to show up half-an-hour early. They'll show up for the hike and if they are not too late, they will log their attended log. My guess it that some people would like to go back to the workaround of meeting at McDonald's instead of the trailhead. I find it all artificial. People are forced to create meaningless "events" just to list their hike on GC.com. Making this artiface 1/2 hour instead of 5 minutes base ond some personal belief that you need 1/2 to make meanigful connections is, IMO, not a very good reason to make a change.

I find it all artificial. People are forced to create meaningless "events" just to list their hike on GC.com.

I think Groundspeak sees this as dissuading those very types of caches for that very reason, because they're not how they want Geocaching.com Events to be structured - but they realize they can't police the actual content of an event.

If you try to publish something that overtly skirts the guidelines, it'll likely be denied. If you lie and create a listing that is valid and acceptable to their judgement, but do something entirely different at the event, well, you'll get on the reviewers' black list, and rightly so.

So, this grey area is precisely that - they can only require so much, and ensure that what you put in the listing is the truth and implies the style of event they want them to be structured as. But beyond that, they have no control. So it's up to you how you want to design the event and how you want to list it, and what you want to do directly outside the event timeline and description.

I'm not sure why this is an argument that the event as listed on geocaching.com must last 30 minutes.

If you are getting a group together to go on a hike, you would probably list a time when you should be at the trailhead. You might say "We'll leave from the trailhead promptly at 7:05 AM so be on time. People will likely show up early. Some may even arrive more than 1/2 hour before the start time. As you got closer to 7:05 more people would show up. Perhaps at 7:00 the group leader will say a few words about the hike or take a head count. Maybe a 7:05 some car will come driving up the street. The group will wait a few minutes while the late comer parks their car and joins the group. At 7:09 they start the hike.

Now let's say the organizer would like to post this as an event on Geocaching.com and invite the geocaching community to go on the hike. Way back in the day they would post this as an event. Overtime TPTB have decided to narrow the defintion of what an event could be. At firs they said, "If the primary purpose of the hike is to go find caches, this is better done using social media than as an event listed on GC.com" Of course, if the event was a picnic, you could have activities where people find temporary caches at the picnic or go out and look for permanent caches which the reviewers would publish on the day of the event. But the primary purpose of the event was the picnic. A hike seems suspicious. Is the hike the primary purpose or finding caches?

No problem, just have a "event" prior or following the hike. Back in the day, we'd meet for breakfast at McDonald's and call that the event. When the idea of a flash mob event came along, it became even simpler. Set five minutes right before leaving on the hike as the "event" and it could be list on GC.com,

With the new rule you have to put aside half-an-hour befor the hike. Most hikers are not going to show up half-an-hour early. They'll show up for the hike and if they are not too late, they will log their attended log. My guess it that some people would like to go back to the workaround of meeting at McDonald's instead of the trailhead. I find it all artificial. People are forced to create meaningless "events" just to list their hike on GC.com. Making this artiface 1/2 hour instead of 5 minutes base ond some personal belief that you need 1/2 to make meanigful connections is, IMO, not a very good reason to make a change.

Plenty of people show up 30 minutes before a hike to chitchat, and if they don't? So what? They can always show up 5 minutes before and claim their smiley anyway. I don't see the problem here.

I find it all artificial. People are forced to create meaningless "events" just to list their hike on GC.com.

I think Groundspeak sees this as dissuading those very types of caches for that very reason, because they're not how they want Geocaching.com Events to be structured - but they realize they can't police the actual content of an event.

If you try to publish something that overtly skirts the guidelines, it'll likely be denied. If you lie and create a listing that is valid and acceptable to their judgement, but do something entirely different at the event, well, you'll get on the reviewers' black list, and rightly so.

So, this grey area is precisely that - they can only require so much, and ensure that what you put in the listing is the truth and implies the style of event they want them to be structured as. But beyond that, they have no control. So it's up to you how you want to design the event and how you want to list it, and what you want to do directly outside the event timeline and description.

But what you write above explains so perfectly well why I'm unhappy with the situation.

Even before this thread got started, I have been aware of the workaround to set up an event where a short meeting period before the start (or at the end) is the actual event and the interesting activity takes place outside of the event (event cache for NeverSummer).

It's the feeling that Groundspeak does not like and does not appreciate events where a physical activity takes place and not eating, playing card games etc are the activities aside from socializing.

It's pretty obvious that the only thing they can enforce is what they enforce (30 minutes, start time, end time, posted coordinates). There is a difference between the feeling that they just tolerate it that additional activities are mentioned on the event page and between the feeling that they welcome events where hiking, paddling etc play an important role (not meaning that one needs to take part to attend).

If only the sedentary part counts as event, then of course a 30 minute event at a parking lot followed by a superb 5 hours hike will be a an under-achiever and a 3 hour garden party will be an over-achiever.

The way Groundspeak is acting makes me feel that they have no interest in events which include physical activities and that they prefer by far party style events.

A lot of potential event hosts do not want to exploit a grey area and be tolerated because it is hard to enforce something different. Someone who organizes a superb hiking event deserves better than being referred to as underachiever.

Edited by cezanne

I do not have the issue with the logging aspect. But I have an issue with that apparently Groundspeak does not appreciate such events and that they and some cachers in this thread make it quite evident

that hikes, rafts etc are not supposed to be part of geocaching events. Why shouldn't an organizer of an event hike (30 minutes meeting time at the parking lot and 5 hours hike) be as appreciated as the organizer of a 5.5 hours garden party event? Why should those who stay for 3 hours at the garden party be overachievers while those who take part at the event hike be underachievers (because they only attended an event for at most 30 minutes).

There are lots of people who do not use Facebook or other social media for good reasons (I'm one of them). Moreover, facebook groups are much more insider like than event listings. So I wonder how it fits together that Groundspeak at one hand allegedly wants to be as inclusive as possible as events are regarded while at same time sending the message to people for whom events with physical activities are the only event they really enjoy that are not welcome on gc.com.

Moreover, why should cachers be sent to Facebook and Co if they prefer socialing during a hike to socializing while eating pizza? The smiley isn't the convincing argument - neither for the pizza event nor for the hike.

It comes back to the issue cezanne has. Are events limited to sitting in a restaurant eating pizza and drinking beer or can a event be an activity like a hike or a river float?

Guidelines become a challenge for geocachers to workaround, and geocachers have been very resourceful in working around them. TPTB can throw more rules to "dissuade" the workaround but geocachers will continue to workaround them.

I suspect that Groundspeak never intended events to be used to advertise every time a group of gecoachers gets together - particularly just to go geocaching. Groundspeak probably views events as something that stands on their own. While an event can have activities, activities are not the event. In practice, cachers have added the idea of listing an event because a group of cacher get are getting together for some activity (which may be to geocache or may be something else). For example, I went to see Cirque du Soleil with a group of geocachers. At $50 per ticket, this was not going to be listed as a event. So instead after the show we met at a local restauarant. We got a lot of cachers who didn't go to the show but came to the event. The event probably stood on its own, but it certainly had the added purpose of letting others know we were going to Cirque. However I belive that guideline prevented us from telling people who to contact to buy tickets, so it may not have resulted in very many additional cachers attending the show. Was this an appropriate use of an event or just a cheap way for those going to Cirque to get an extra smiley?

So you're doing the hike for a :) ?

If you want to show up and be hiking 5 minutes later then don't create a GC event just hike.

I see hiking as geocaching because odds are there's caches along the trail, I have never considered I deserve an extra smiley for doing the hike.

Edited by Roman!

If you want to show up and be hiking 5 minutes later then don't create a GC event just hike.

Do you give the same answer to someone who attends or organizing a pizza eating event?

It's not about the 5 minutes.

With the same right you can say that if you want to eat pizza at place X, order a table and don't create a GC event.

What about if someone wants to get together with other geocachers (known and unknown ones) and socialize while hiking?

Don't they have the same right to do that than those who want to combine eating pizza with getting together with geocachers (known and unknown ones)?

I see hiking as geocaching because odds are there's caches along the trail, I have never considered I deserve an extra smiley for doing the hike.

Odds that I pass a geocache on an event hike where I have not been are very low. Moreover, I'm not attended an event to gecocache and I do not appreciate at all

when geocachers leave events early when they get notifications about newly published caches and rush for the first find. This by the way also happens much less likely on hiking events when

it happens at urban events.

Do you give the same answer to someone who attends or organizing a pizza eating event?

It's not about the 5 minutes.

With the same right you can say that if you want to eat pizza at place X, order a table and don't create a GC event.

What about if someone wants to get together with other geocachers (known and unknown ones) and socialize while hiking?

Don't they have the same right to do that than those who want to combine eating pizza with getting together with geocachers (known and unknown ones)?

Odds that I pass a geocache on an event hike where I have not been are very low. Moreover, I'm not attended an event to gecocache and I do not appreciate at all

when geocachers leave events early when they get notifications about newly published caches and rush for the first find. This by the way also happens much less likely on hiking events when

it happens at urban events.

Again you seem to be creating a problem specialized to you. How hard can it be to start the event 1/2 hour before heading out on the hike, it takes people a good 15/20 minutes to get ready once they park their car, a group, easily a 1/2 hour.

I'm really not sure what's stopping you from having your hiking event anyways.

Edited by Roman!

and I do not appreciate at all

when geocachers leave events early when they get notifications about newly published caches and rush for the first find

:blink:

I've yet to see it but I'd think it would be pretty funny.

I see it all the time.

I just can't imagine why anyone would notice, let alone be bothered by, other people leaving a geocaching event to go geocaching.

Again you seem to be creating a problem specialized to you. How hard can it be to start the event 1/2 hour before heading out on the hike, it takes people a good 15/20 minutes to get ready once they park their car, a group, easily a 1/2 hour.

Even if everyone arrives 30 minutes earlier, this does not change the fact that what counts for Groundspeak as event is only 30 minutes long and does not provide any attractions.

All what Groundspeak apparently wants to see as part of good events not just events that fulfill the bare minimum cannot be provided for such events within what is the actual event cache from Groundspeak's point of view.

Moreover, have a look at the new thread about hiking events where the OP mentioned staying inside the car before the start off when the weather is bad. There are many reasons for ending up with 30 minutes that are not communicative at all while the communicate part is not allowed to be part of the event cache. Strange.

I just can't imagine why anyone would notice, let alone be bothered by, other people leaving a geocaching event to go geocaching.

Noticing is easy as the people who leave mention why they leave instantly and often much earlier than planned. One might have driven a longer way just to meet certain people or to have a communicative time.

In the early years this did not happen at all and events were much more relaxing - now this is possible only for small remote events.

Noticing is easy as the people who leave mention why they leave instantly and often much earlier than planned. One might have driven a longer way just to meet certain people or to have a communicative time.

In the early years this did not happen at all and events were much more relaxing - now this is possible only for small remote events.

So what?

So what?

It's just another reason for me to prefer hiking events where such things happen much less likely.

So you're doing the hike for a :) ?

Yeah. You should only get a :) for drinking beer.

Why is is that people have such a visceral reaction to others getting a :)?

and I do not appreciate at all

when geocachers leave events early when they get notifications about newly published caches and rush for the first find

:blink:

I've yet to see it but I'd think it would be pretty funny.

I see it all the time.

I used to list new caches during the event (in various ways). I stopped doing it.

How hard can it be to start the event 1/2 hour before heading out on the hike, it takes people a good 15/20 minutes to get ready once they park their car, a group, easily a 1/2 hour.
We're familiar with the workaround.

But it would be nice to list the hike (or rafting trip, or cycling trip, or whatever) as the event cache, since it is the real purpose of the gathering.

And although it doesn't always work this way, I have been on hikes and cycling trips where we left within a few minutes of the announced time. Some participants arrived just before the announced time. Some arrived much earlier. Some of the early arrivals stayed in their cars until just before the announced time. Some started mingling soon after they arrived. But the hike or the cycling trip didn't start until the announced time.

(Rafting and canoe trips haven't worked that way just because the drivers took at least half an hour to shuttle vehicles to the take-out point. But once the drivers got back, everyone else was ready to go and we were on the water shortly after the drivers had their PFDs on.)

Good. Lord.

It's not like an Event Cache at a pizza parlor is about a pizza eating contest.

Some people consider a meal, a snack, or a drink a great way to bring people together for conversation. This means that you can show at the Event Cache location at the designated time, and count on seeing other Geocachers to chat--or "socialize". You can also socialize while hiking or rafting, but you can't very well have a clear window during moving time where someone could join based on the limited information one can reasonably get from an Event Cache listing page (Coordinates, D/T, Attributes, Date, Start and End Time). Sure, you can make best guesses for where you'll be at a certain time, but they're only best guesses.

That is, unless you create a mid-point "catch up" Event Cache listing, and make sure that your hike/paddle/whatever is at that spot at the designated time (also following the listing Guidelines), and allow for people to catch up.

Now, you could say that the Event Cache time is from 9:00am-2:00pm, a 5-hour window. But asking someone to show up at the set coordinates after everyone else has left to "socialize" along a hiking trail, and then wait for 4+ hours for everyone to return is FAR worse a requirement than allowing a 30-minute window where those who want to socialize with others and also get a Smiley "Attended" log can do so. The idea is that one shows up at listed coordinates and will find the event (the Event Cache, really) at the designated time.

If I show up at a hike event listed as 9:00am-2:00pm, and everyone beat it down the trail by 9:05am--and I'm not sure where they might be along the trail or river or whatever--I'm not going to sit and twiddle my thumbs by myself for 5 hours. Nor am I going to feel like this event (Event Cache, too) was a good "socialization" experience for me. You see, by having a set window where everyone will know that at the listed coordinates, at the listed time, within a certain window, I'll find the group I'm trying to meet (to socialize with other geocachers), I can then be assured that I'll be able to socialize. If a hike happens after the arrival window, or before the ending window, or at lunch at listed coordinates part way through...well, then I can certainly also join in that great opportunity to enjoy the outdoors and possible additional socialization time while doing a fun activity away from the listed coordinates.

Stuffing one's face is not the focus of an Event Cache at a restaurant or bakery or ice cream parlor, or taco stand, or...--chatting and enjoying the conversations that happen when you bring together Geocachers in one place at a set time is the focus. This can happen in a parking lot, a restaurant, a trailhead, a park, or whatever. The Guidelines simply make it a requirement that you meet the minimum duration of 30 minutes at the stated coordinates. Beyond that 30 minutes you can go as long as you want, and also include any other activities you would like.

It isn't an affront to anything ethical or rudimentary to the game of Geocaching on Geocaching.com. You can still easily get a hike or raft or whatever published as part of your Event Cache, so long as you have made it clear that you've met the Guidelines to have the Event Cache occur at a set time, for at least 30 minutes, and a minimum of 30 minutes is at a set site (coordinates) as designated in the Coordinates for that Event Cache listing.

It's not like an Event Cache at a pizza parlor is about a pizza eating contest.

Of course not. A hiking event is not about a hiking contest.

Some people consider a meal, a snack, or a drink a great way to bring people together for conversation.

I know, but some people consider a hike as a great way to bring people together for conversation.

For example, I feel so much more comfortable when walking than when being forced to sit around which I need to do much too often in my work anyway.

I use to be very stressed at indoor events when too many voices are around me that I cannot sort out and end up with overflow.

Now, you could say that the Event Cache time is from 9:00am-2:00pm, a 5-hour window. But asking someone to show up at the set coordinates after everyone else has left to "socialize" along a hiking trail, and then wait for 4+ hours for everyone to return is FAR worse a requirement than allowing a 30-minute window where those who want to socialize with others and also get a Smiley "Attended" log can do so. The idea is that one shows up at listed coordinates and will find the event (the Event Cache, really) at the designated time.

If I do not have time or no desire to visit a non stationary event from the beginning and no special arrangements are possible, I stay at home. I do not need to spend 4+ hours at some location to wait until the hikers come back. That's completely crazy.

If I show up at a hike event listed as 9:00am-2:00pm, and everyone beat it down the trail by 9:05am--and I'm not sure where they might be along the trail or river or whatever--I'm not going to sit and twiddle my thumbs by myself for 5 hours. Nor am I going to feel like this event (Event Cache, too) was a good "socialization" experience for me. You see, by having a set window where everyone will know that at the listed coordinates, at the listed time, within a certain window, I'll find the group I'm trying to meet (to socialize with other geocachers), I can then be assured that I'll be able to socialize. If a hike happens after the arrival window, or before the ending window, or at lunch at listed coordinates part way through...well, then I can certainly also join in that great opportunity to enjoy the outdoors and possible additional socialization time while doing a fun activity away from the listed coordinates.

So the above is about you. You however seem to be a person for whom classical stationary events work well anyway and allow you a good way that works for you for socializing. Does every event need to be perfectly suitable for people like you and none well suitable for someone like me?

I'm not the type of person who can profit from meetings periods for socializing. So all my socializing and my positive experience has to happen outside of what is an event for Groundspeak.

Not very fair in terms of your explanation above where it is about people like you who have enough events to their liking anyway.

How would you feel if instantly all official events involved a hike and the stationary meet and greet time were only allowed via a workaround to take place outside of the actual event (I'm not suggesting this - it would nonsense of course).

Stuffing one's face is not the focus of an Event Cache at a restaurant or bakery or ice cream parlor, or taco stand, or...--chatting and enjoying the conversations that happen when you bring together Geocachers in one place at a set time is the focus. This can happen in a parking lot, a restaurant, a trailhead, a park, or whatever.

For me it cannot happen at stationary events.

The Guidelines simply make it a requirement that you meet the minimum duration of 30 minutes at the stated coordinates. Beyond that 30 minutes you can go as long as you want, and also include any other activities you would like.

But not as part of what is officially recognized as event cache by Groundspeak.

It isn't an affront to anything ethical or rudimentary to the game of Geocaching on Geocaching.com. You can still easily get a hike or raft or whatever published as part of your Event Cache, so long as you have made it clear that you've met the Guidelines to have the Event Cache occur at a set time, for at least 30 minutes, and a minimum of 30 minutes is at a set site (coordinates) as designated in the Coordinates for that Event Cache listing.

Show me a single newly published example where the hike or the raft is part of the geocache event.

Even before this thread got started, I have been aware of the workaround to set up an event where a short meeting period before the start (or at the end) is the actual event and the interesting activity takes place outside of the event (event cache for NeverSummer).

It's the feeling that Groundspeak does not like and does not appreciate events where a physical activity takes place and not eating, playing card games etc are the activities aside from socializing.

No. They won't care what happens at the event coordinates, as long as it's at the event coordinates and is related to geocaching for a minimum period of time.

That's it. That's the requirement.

If your event is not one of those things, it does not classify as a Geocaching.com Official Event Listing.

It comes back to the issue cezanne has. Are events limited to sitting in a restaurant eating pizza and drinking beer or can a event be an activity like a hike or a river float?

You can do anything geocaching-related at the posted coordinates for the minimum period of time.

Even if it's 'sedentary' in the middle of a lake.

TPTB can throw more rules to "dissuade" the workaround but geocachers will continue to workaround them.

Fewer and fewer geocachers will put forth the effort to "workaround" them, if they are continually dissuaded by Groundspeak. This is as much as they can do towards what they want without outright banning specific examples by name.

Even if everyone arrives 30 minutes earlier, this does not change the fact that what counts for Groundspeak as event is only 30 minutes long and does not provide any attractions.

Big woop. That's the minimum requirement. It would be the Event Host who would be creating an unfun event that's sedentary for 30 minutes that would not provide any attractions or activities. Groundspeak doesn't demand that. They provide the ability, flexibility, and freedom to create whatever kind of event they want within this minimum requirement that is in some way related to geocaching. You can stop saying that the 30 minute minimum means somehow that Groundspeak is causing boring 30 minute non-events. Come on.

If you want to do a long hike without the 30 minute "event", then don't list it as a Geocaching.com Event. Otherwise, bite the bullet, plan to arrive 30 minutes early, and tell people that there's a 30 minute window to arrive, greet, and prepare before heading out.

Seriously. Get over it. Sorry, I'm getting very annoyed by this... I may really need to step out again.

*headdesk*

But it would be nice to list the hike (or rafting trip, or cycling trip, or whatever) as the event cache, since it is the real purpose of the gathering.

Again, it's clear that Groundspeak doesn't want 'moving events' as classifiable as as an official Geocaching.com Event Listing. So it's a non-argument.

Now, if we want to have those types of events as publishable, then we need to try to convince them to do that.

They already experimented with that, with group caching events. The future of that concept is still up in the air.

And although it doesn't always work this way, I have been on hikes and cycling trips where we left within a few minutes of the announced time. Some participants arrived just before the announced time. Some arrived much earlier. Some of the early arrivals stayed in their cars until just before the announced time. Some started mingling soon after they arrived. But the hike or the cycling trip didn't start until the announced time.

(Rafting and canoe trips haven't worked that way just because the drivers took at least half an hour to shuttle vehicles to the take-out point. But once the drivers got back, everyone else was ready to go and we were on the water shortly after the drivers had their PFDs on.)

So the only difference here is that they are requiring the host or a delegate to be there at least a half hour before the departure time, and not requiring that geocachers participating in the 'after-event' in order to "Attend" the event. That's the only difference.

Edited by thebruce0

The best point I've seen, if an event is hosted from 12 - 5 and I show up at 2 the event host or a representative should be there to meet me.

Another good point, have the event at the meal break/rest point.

Why this obsession to list the hike as the event, list the hike in the description, heck, call the event "5 hour hike rest break"

Edited by Roman!
How hard can it be to start the event 1/2 hour before heading out on the hike, it takes people a good 15/20 minutes to get ready once they park their car, a group, easily a 1/2 hour.

My paddle events (http://coord.info/GC40TX5 for an example) usually depart pretty close to the listed launch time.

They provide the ability, flexibility, and freedom to create whatever kind of event they want within this minimum requirement that is in some way related to geocaching.

Sorry, but by requiring that the event has to stay at the posted coordinates throughout the whole duration it does not allow for this flexibility and freedom.

You can stop saying that the 30 minute minimum means somehow that Groundspeak is causing boring 30 minute non-events. Come on.

I never said that. I said that the combination of all the requirements excludes certain types of events as official geocaching.com events.

If you want to do a long hike without the 30 minute "event", then don't list it as a Geocaching.com Event.

I referred to a long hike with a 30 minutes period somewhere matched with the hike (not without this period). What annoys me is that the hike cannot be part of the Groundspeak event - it can only be mentioned on the cache page. The start or the end (or both) of the hike will not coincide with the start and end times of the event to be reported on the event listing. That's my point and there is no workaround for that.

Edited by cezanne

Are you being deliberately obtuse???

Some people consider a meal, a snack, or a drink a great way to bring people together for conversation.

I know, but some people consider a hike as a great way to bring people together for conversation.

For example, I feel so much more comfortable when walking than when being forced to sit around which I need to do much too often in my work anyway.

I use to be very stressed at indoor events when too many voices are around me that I cannot sort out and end up with overflow.

My statement was not meant to deny that fact, cezanne. STOP BEING SO OBTUSE! I've tried so hard to word things clearly so that language isn't a barrier, but it is more and more clear that you are just trying to argue, or perhaps just don't want to understand opposing viewpoints, opinions, or facts.

If I do not have time or no desire to visit a non stationary event from the beginning and no special arrangements are possible, I stay at home. I do not need to spend 4+ hours at some location to wait until the hikers come back. That's completely crazy.

Thank you for proving my point!

So the above is about you. You however seem to be a person for whom classical stationary events work well anyway and allow you a good way that works for you for socializing. Does every event need to be perfectly suitable for people like you and none well suitable for someone like me?

As they say in baseball: "Swing and a miss!"

I don't CARE what the event is. I am trying to explain how the guidelines work, and how events can be fit into the guidelines to be published as an Event Cache.

I'm not the type of person who can profit from meetings periods for socializing. So all my socializing and my positive experience has to happen outside of what is an event for Groundspeak.

Not very fair in terms of your explanation above where it is about people like you who have enough events to their liking anyway.

How would you feel if instantly all official events involved a hike and the stationary meet and greet time were only allowed via a workaround to take place outside of the actual event (I'm not suggesting this - it would nonsense of course).

I wouldn't care one bit. I'd welcome the changes, as it would be just as simple to work a "sedentary" period into a moving Event Cache, if they were the only type of event allowed to be published. You assume I don't like "hiking events", when I have actually been finding ways to prove that you can still have them--including my own event where I'm trying to gather people to go birding, hiking, and possibly grab some caches along the way. :blink:

Stuffing one's face is not the focus of an Event Cache at a restaurant or bakery or ice cream parlor, or taco stand, or...--chatting and enjoying the conversations that happen when you bring together Geocachers in one place at a set time is the focus. This can happen in a parking lot, a restaurant, a trailhead, a park, or whatever.

For me it cannot happen at stationary events.

GOOD! Then publish your first event cache <insert heavy eyeroll here> as I've outlined (and you've stated that you'd be happy with what I've said "if it could get published"--which it can!).

The Guidelines simply make it a requirement that you meet the minimum duration of 30 minutes at the stated coordinates. Beyond that 30 minutes you can go as long as you want, and also include any other activities you would like.

But not as part of what is officially recognized as event cache by Groundspeak.

<snip>

Show me a single newly published example where the hike or the raft is part of the geocache event.

UNTRUE.

You seem hellbent on proving something here. Please, for all of us here, put your action where your mouth is and publish this event yourself. I'll bet that you can get it published, so long as you still meet the guidelines where you must have a 30-minute portion of the event take place at the published coordinates.

From the other thread: <insert massive eyeroll here>

"Join me! We'll meet at the above coordinates to get started and give people time to arrive. We'll then head out for a hike to the hilltop to watch the lunar eclipse. Round trip on the hike is about 3 miles, and should take about an hour each way. Please meet at the coordinates starting at 8:00pm, and we'll depart from the trailhead at about 8:30pm. Please arrive no later than 8:30, as we will head down the trail in the dark, and we will want to account for everyone who would like to attend so we don't lose anyone, or miss anyone before we head out. We should be back around 11:30pm, so please be sure to dress accordingly, and bring appropriate hiking supplies and a torch or headlamp.

What? Lunar Eclipse Event!

Who? You, your family, and friends

When? 8:00pm-11:30pm

Where? Bird Point Trailhead (coordinates above)

Why? It's a great night for some stargazing and an opportunity to see an amazing lunar event."

My paddle events (http://coord.info/GC40TX5 for an example) usually depart pretty close to the listed launch time.

I'll bet that it takes people a good amount of time from when they park till they're ready to go, list the event 1/2 hour before launch time, you're the only one that needs to be there that early anyways.

Please

And no, this is not a 'moving event'. It's publishable because it's not a 'moving event'.

I know there's going to be some reason why this is still not a sufficient answer to the question. I have to be done with cezanne... :tired:

Why this obsession to list the hike as the event, list the hike in the description, heck, call the event "5 hour hike rest break"

Because I prefer events to be something special - like jewels and not broken pieces of dirty glass.

The guidelines also allow me to hide a lame guardrail micro - I will never do so.

I prefer caches that are regard as attractive and that applies also to events.

A rest break event is extremely lame from my point of view while a hiking event is attractive to me.

I referred to a long hike with a 30 minutes period somewhere matched with the hike (not without this period). What annoys me is that the hike cannot be part of the Groundspeak event - it can only be mentioned on the cache page. The start or the end (or both) of the hike will not coincide with the start and end times of the event to be reported on the event listing. That's my point and there is no workaround for that.

And this is a problem how?

Edited by Roman!

Because I prefer events to be something special - like jewels and not broken pieces of dirty glass.

The guidelines also allow me to hide a lame guardrail micro - I will never do so.

I prefer caches that are regard as attractive and that applies also to events.

A rest break event is extremely lame from my point of view while a hiking event is attractive to me.

So just because you can't call your event a hike and can't list the hike time as the event duration this makes the hike less special?

Edited by Roman!

And thus is a problem how?

RIGHT???!?!

The hike IS the focus, but one must be clear on the Geocaching.com Event Cache listing to be sure to meet the official Guidelines for publication of an Event Cache on Geocaching.com, per the Terms of Use for this website.

All caps alert:

JUST PUT IN THE LANGUAGE! It's that simple, and you can stop your worry. You'll still get your jewels, and we can put this thread of dirty broken glass to rest. Sheesh.... :lostsignal:

TPTB can throw more rules to "dissuade" the workaround but geocachers will continue to workaround them.

Fewer and fewer geocachers will put forth the effort to "workaround" them, if they are continually dissuaded by Groundspeak. This is as much as they can do towards what they want without outright banning specific examples by name.

I tend to doubt this. If the issue is that TPTB are tired of all the flash mobs, they can set the minimum time. That will likely reduce "flash mobs" I'm not even sure that people will consider a half-hour event - even if is standing around in a parking lot - a flash mob. But long before flash mobs people had events like "We'll meet a McDonalds before the hike for coffee" or "After Cirque du Soleil we'll meet at IHOP for food and drink." Those who are upset with people getting a smiley for standing in a parking lot might be satisfied with an event at restaurant before or after some other activity that guidelines say can't be an event or can't be a stand alone event. But in fact, these are events just put together by geocachers engaging in that other activity either to get a "cheap smiley" or to get their activity listed on Geocaching.com.

Please

And no, this is not a 'moving event'. It's publishable because it's not a 'moving event'.

I know there's going to be some reason why this is still not a sufficient answer to the question. I have to be done with cezanne... :tired:

And another:

http://coord.info/GC5KBKX

Please

The raft is not part of the geocaching event which takes place from 7pm to 8pm in your example. You allow for time for the water activities before and after what is the Groundspeak event. That does not adress my question at all. Moreover, with a water event you might be able to exploit the fact that you choose a location which might be hard to reach without the activity you have in mind. However still you either need to spend all the time from 7pm tp 8pm without moving around or you do not get the event published or you are lying.

I did not ask for an event cache where the hike/paddle is mentioned on the cache page and many participants of the event also go for the hike/paddle tour and have fun their. I asked for an example of a recently published event where the hike/raft/paddle tour is part of the actual event and takes place some time between the start and the event time listed on the event page (and without someone spending all the time at the posted coordinates).

Edited by cezanne

:laughing:

> The raft is not part of the geocaching event which takes place from 7pm to 8pm in your example.

Yes. Yes it is.

And another

Note, that's a 15 minute event at the posted coordinates, which I believe was published before the 30 minute increase, yes?

Edited by thebruce0

Please

And another:

http://coord.info/GC5KBKX

Published before the new Guidelines, BB. It also only has 15 minutes at the "above coordinates", not 30.

However, the "paddle" is certainly the focus of the event...so...