Anyone in or around Monmouth County have a Garmin 76S?

Faderaven

I had a vista and lost it, which gave me an excuse to buy the 76S. Did I need the neat features? Probably not, the only one that makes a real differnce is the external antenna. What you need to do is stand in a wooded area without the antenna plugged in, plug in the antenna and watch it pick up three more satellites. I like to make maps, and if you load the track onto TOPO! and set the track display to not fill in the gaps, you will be astounded how many times you have lost good signal. What it will do is fill in the gaps, guessing where the missing track was. I understand that this is what happens with the much touted Magellans, they assume they are still at the last known point, and are so slow to register that they reaquire without letting you know that you had signal problems. The NY/NJ Trail Conference doesn't consider tracks reliable for mapping purposes unless they have been made with an external antenna. I think StayFloopy could find caches without a GPS, and any way, he's in a whole different category and shouldn't be compared with us mere mortals.

We use both a etrx vista (silver) and a GPSMAP76 (no"s") we have had the same coordinates on both units and different coordinates on both units. I've lost sat reception on the map76 and the vista was still tracking the sats and visa/versa.

The trick in Allaire is to use your topo maps and look at them closely. Although, there is a place to cross the manasquan rvr. I haven't seen it but, dreamchazzer (my brother ) found it.

If you still want to compare let me know we'll go out. I have to finish "Steamboat Landing" by Marty621. Felt unesy when I encountered hunters and we weren't wearing any orange clothing.

Bob

quote:

If you still want to compare let me know we'll go out. I have to finish "Steamboat Landing" by Marty621. Felt unesy when I encountered hunters and we weren't wearing any orange clothing.

Bob

Great! I'll take you up on that sometime. As for the hunters...I know what you mean. I abandoned my attempt for one cache as there were too many hunters about that day. I'll wait for a Sunday.

Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore