Electronic Geocache Forum

CachePix

Hi thank you for reading.

I have had the idea to create a forum just for the purpose of exchanging Electronic type Geocache Ideas. Hint's, Tips, Starter's.

By this I mean anything at all gizmo like that is different from the rest,

Pi, Banana, Microchip, PIC. Arduino, Flora, ect…. Also simple ideas welcome.

If there is any interest will sort something out…

Thank you again for looking.

Hi thank you for reading.

I have had the idea to create a forum just for the purpose of exchanging Electronic type Geocache Ideas. Hint's, Tips, Starter's.

By this I mean anything at all gizmo like that is different from the rest,

Pi, Banana, Microchip, PIC. Arduino, Flora, ect…. Also simple ideas welcome.

If there is any interest will sort something out…

Thank you again for looking.

I was going to suggest using the Geocache Types forum but it looks like it's split up into specific sub-fora (earthcaches, Wherigo,..) so I'd suggest just starting a topic here. Occasionally someone will started a topic here about a specific aspect of the game an it will become almost a forum within the forum. The country collectors topic is a good example. The thread has been around quite a while and has a regular group of participants that discuss, share information, and advise others on the the topic of finding caches in many different countries. It's probably one of the most drama free threads in the forums and a topic regarding electronic caches might bring other like minded cachers in a similar manner.

I'd love to learn more about how to execute an electronics based cache, but I really have no knowledge or background in it. Just vague ideas of interesting caches. I hope this forum/thread catches on though so I could learn from others.

There was a *really* detailed step by step post on how to created an Arduino based electronic cache posted here a couple of days ago. This would have been a good thread for it.

I'd love to learn more about how to execute an electronics based cache, but I really have no knowledge or background in it. Just vague ideas of interesting caches. I hope this forum/thread catches on though so I could learn from others.

One of the ideas that I've toyed around with was a mulit/puzzle cache which used a seven segment LED.(with the rest of the digits for the lat/long coordinates provided). At each of the first six location you'd get a character sequence, for example, ABCdeFG. That sequence would mean that switches labeled A, B, C, F, and G would be set to "on" and d and e to "off". When the switches were set using that sequence the LED would display a 9. In order to know how to set the switches for each digit you'd have to visit each stage. The sixth stage would give you the coordinats for a seventh and final stage.

There was a *really* detailed step by step post on how to created an Arduino based electronic cache posted here a couple of days ago. This would have been a good thread for it.

Was there an Arduino based one? There's one about how to make the Raspberry Pi into a mobile hotspot, which can be used as the basis for a wireless geocache.

Was there an Arduino based one? There's one about how to make the Raspberry Pi into a mobile hotspot, which can be used as the basis for a wireless geocache.

I couldn't remember if i was for an Arduino or a Raspberry PI. Either way it's the kind of post that would fit in nicely in a thread about electronic caches.

We had a very elaborate, world-class mult-cache in my neighborhood (the cache owner will probably see this post and hopefully comment). Many of the stages were microprocessor based (Arduiono clones, I believe). One that I enjoy employed an orientation sensor that required you to hold the cache up to a certain angle and direction to get the next stage. Another was a two container stage where you needed at least two people, one to stay with the first thing you found, another to go to another set of coords and find that cache, then plug a 9v battery into it, while the party at the other can pushes a button, while those at the 2nd container see the next coords on their digital readout. It was awesome.

Edited by knowschad

I had another idea for a set of several caches in different locations that would each be published as an unknown cache type. It wouldn't require any electronic hardware design so I suppose it would loosely fit the idea of an electronic cache. The idea is based on those "exchange caches" where two cachers in different locations need to find a cache which has information for the person in the other location. Here's how it would work. Cache listings for 2 or more caches would each have a link to a web application which captures your general location. In the HTML5 spec there is a location API that will either use lat/long coordinates provided by a mobile device with a GPS or can determine a general location based on your IP address. It doesn't have to be any more accurate then to indicate that a location is within a city. Suppose there is a cache in New York CIty, Paris, and Tokyo. When someone from NYC connects to the web application it would display a green icon on a world map. In order to get the final coordinates someone from Paris and someone from Tokyo would have to be simultaneously connected to the site, and then all three green icons would be displayed on the map, and the coordinates for each cache would be revealed to each of the "players". It could be done by coordinating with other cachers beforehand or just connect to the site and wait until someone from each city has connected.

We had a very elaborate, world-class mult-cache in my neighborhood (the cache owner will probably see this post and hopefully comment). Many of the stages were microprocessor based (Arduiono clones, I believe). One that I enjoy employed an orientation sensor that required you to hold the cache up to a certain angle and direction to get the next stage. Another was a two container stage where you needed at least two people, one to stay with the first thing you found, another to go to another set of coords and find that cache, then plug a 9v battery into it, while the party at the other can pushes a button, while those at the 2nd container see the next coords on their digital readout. It was awesome.

Was that "The Vault"?

I've wanted to recreate that one somehow, but have no requisite skills...

I had another idea for a set of several caches in different locations that would each be published as an unknown cache type. It wouldn't require any electronic hardware design so I suppose it would loosely fit the idea of an electronic cache. The idea is based on those "exchange caches" where two cachers in different locations need to find a cache which has information for the person in the other location. Here's how it would work. Cache listings for 2 or more caches would each have a link to a web application which captures your general location. In the HTML5 spec there is a location API that will either use lat/long coordinates provided by a mobile device with a GPS or can determine a general location based on your IP address. It doesn't have to be any more accurate then to indicate that a location is within a city. Suppose there is a cache in New York CIty, Paris, and Tokyo. When someone from NYC connects to the web application it would display a green icon on a world map. In order to get the final coordinates someone from Paris and someone from Tokyo would have to be simultaneously connected to the site, and then all three green icons would be displayed on the map, and the coordinates for each cache would be revealed to each of the "players". It could be done by coordinating with other cachers beforehand or just connect to the site and wait until someone from each city has connected.

We had a series like that - the gemini's

http://coord.info/GC426GJ

and

http://coord.info/GC425C7

Steve

I have a great idea for an electronic cache that I am making right now. It is easy to build and a great way for beginners to get into electronic geocaching. I bought a starter kit of snap circuits. Using the snap circuits for the electrical parts of the cache. I made a fake birds house with some nails imbedded in the wood on one side. And a small door on the other side. On the front there is a door with a 4 number lock. If you open the small door you find the battery insert from the snap circuits and a wire. Using the wire you connect the bolts together until you compleatly the circuit and the light comes on. Using the numbers next to the bolts that compleatly the circuit the lock can be opened. This is a very easy cache to build and all you need is wood snap circuits and I used doll house wire to make the electrical connections.