PQ's exceeding 1000 caches: What are missed?

If I inadvertently make a PQ that is over 1000 geocaches, how and which ones are the remaining caches excluded from the query?

Does it drop them geocentrically? Alphanumerically, by name, by code? By Difficulty? By Date placed? :blink:

I did try to search this topic but got nowhere within 15 minutes....

Depends on how many over 1,000 the PQ is...

Generally the PQ starts from the centre point and works out, so those at the edge/further away get dropped/excluded.

If I inadvertently make a PQ that is over 1000 geocaches, how and which ones are the remaining caches excluded from the query?

Does it drop them geocentrically? Alphanumerically, by name, by code? By Difficulty? By Date placed? :blink:

I did try to search this topic but got nowhere within 15 minutes....

By Date Placed as I recall. The 1000 newest ones being included in the PQ

Jim

:rolleyes:

I'm puzzled by the answers that don't seem concrete, but the answer is that the nearest 1000 caches to the origin are taken. I depend on that every time I run a pocket query, since all of mine are specified such that there would be many more than 1000 caches if it weren't for the limit.

From my experiment a month ago, if you use distance from a point, it will give you the 1000 nearest. Obviously, when selecting all cache in a region, that would be different.

And as noted by derektiffany, who linked to moun10bike's reply, the ordering is not guaranteed. Just because it behaves this way today doesn't mean that it won't change at a later date.

Edited by Chrysalides

PQ's with a center point have always returned the closest 1000. I would imagine it would create quite a scream if this ever changed.

PQ's with no center point usually return by date. I wouldn't count on this and as a result I usually limit results to keep PQ's under 1000, so there's no question.